Larry refuses to stay in same house with Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I'm sure any of us would jump at the chance.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/MULLEN REFUSED TO LIVE WITH BONO

MULLEN REFUSED TO LIVE WITH BONO

U2 rockers LARRY MULLEN and ADAM CLAYTON refused to share a villa with BONO during the group's annual holiday in south France, because he did not want to live in the same house as the singer.

Bono had wanted all of the band to share a massive villa with their families during their week of rest and relaxation in Nice, France, but only guitarist THE EDGE agreed.

Drummer Mullen and bassist Clayton both decided to stay in separate properties nearby.

Mullen says, "Bono wanted us all to share a place. I told him, 'I'm happy to come here but I'm not living in the same house as you.'"

06/10/2004 17:52

Does this mean PLEBA Mansion wouldn't really work? :no:

aw! poor bono!
:(
i wouldnt turn him down even if he is a hyper guy with neurotic tendencies.....
:drool: gee i wonder why?
so they didnt want to stay with him because they see him all the time or because he annoys them? :scratch:

Seems like Larry really doesn't want ANYONE around. Remember the story of how he bought the house next door to him when it went for sale so nobody else would move in?

I get the impression Larry is a neat person (don't know why, just do...) I have visions of him :mad: in the studio over coffee grains in the sugar basin, unrinsed cups on the amps ... etc... and Bono's always losing things, on holidays would you always be wanting to hear "Larry, have you seen my shades anywhere?" "Larry, where are my car keys?"

Besides, he talks 24/7 - L & A probably wanted to get away for some SLEEP occasionally!

You're right though, it is a bit mean of him - especialy if he said so to the press.

:wink: ~Ultra

Last edited:
I think it's hilarious. And I don't blame Larry, I might not be able to handle Bono 24:7 either.

But okay, who else thinks it's really cute that U2 and their families took a vacation together!? :cute:

I think when you've known and worked with someone since you were 14 or 15 years old, you can be honest enough to say you don't want to share a vacation home with him! :shrug:

I have relatives and friends I dearly love but don't necesarily want to share a home with :reject:

madonna's child said:

But okay, who else thinks it's really cute that U2 and their families took a vacation together!? :cute:

I think it's wonderful....the band has avoided so many rock cliches and have always been tight friends. They've been together so long and they still enjoy each other's company in their spare time...great.

Poor Bono...I'd love to have him talk my head off excitedly bout something. I suppose 25 years of it might be draining....nah. I'm wired the same way, despite my Scorpio-ness :wink:

okay to answer my own question after seeing everybody elses opinions
they dont want to vacation near him because theyre sick of seeing him AND he annoys them!:wink:

thats okay. more bono for everyone else, right?
i imagine that being men, theyre not as - um- attracted to bono as we are and therefore have no reason to want to be around him if hes being hyper or forgetful

:shrug: i usually lose just about everything on vacation, its a disease

I tell ya...my friends love me dearly...but sometimes they are just at their wit's end with me. I'm a handful! :laugh: I think they would ultimately stay with me...but, if they had the option for their own place to go hide in if needed...they just might go that route. :lmao: :heart:

I had read that article some time ago. I understand Larry not wanting to share the same house as Bono and their families, but I don't understand why it had to come to the press. Even so, there's nothing wrong with it. They don't have to be together all the time. Just hope they can keep a good relationship as a band, 'cause that's what I love about them: that they're so great.

Larry is not much of a social person (like me) yet he is in a extremely successful band so he ends up spending a lot of time with people all around him, wherever he is, on stage, backstage, after party and plus there's always people on him wanting him to sign this and that. I'm sure he understands all of that stuff and by now he knows how to handle it well but I'm also sure that whenever he has the opportunity to be alone with just his family he takes it. I would too. I’m sure he values his friendship with the boys and knows how important they are but I guess when people spend so much time together, like they do, they need some time apart. That's just what it seems to be for me about Larry. :shrug:

:larry: :hug:

I think both Adam and Larry have had some divergences with Bono before, and it’s better for them all if they don’t share the same house all day. They have different personalities and sometimes they collide. It's only natural. Though, I love Bono and I think he was great on inviting them.

Last edited:
I think the story is rubbish...
It didn't happen. And if it did, how does the reporter know about it???????

greety said:
I think this was taken from the Q interview and Larry said that all in a very ironic/ irish humerous kinda way :wink:

yeah, i remember reading this Larry quote in the interview that philod typed out, in entirety. taken in context in the interview, it was hilarious. this sounds like a cheeseball tabloid trying to make things seem scandalous when they're so not.

I have relatives I can't stand to be in the same house with more than a few minutes :reject: I have found out that no matter who you take with you on a car trip they will be on your nerves before you get back, if it's a long one over several days. Friends, family, your own kids. It happens.

Just because trhey re good friends since they were 16 and share a very succesful band, that doens't mean they have to be together 24/7!

I would have probably told Bono the same thing ( No offense, b!) :D

My best friend from high school wanted to share an apartment with me after graduation, but I successfully dodged her hints because I knew if I lived with her 24/7 it would probably ruin our friendship because our personalities are like night and day. We'd be wanting to kill each other before the first week was up!

Back
Top Bottom