Larry plays on one of Underworld's new songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MullenGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Four of the songs — "Crocodile," "Holding the Moth," "Beautiful Burnout" and "Faxed Invitation" — were written onstage, in front of audiences, over a period of 18 months. Hyde says he and Smith were intrigued by the continuous flow on Santana's 1972 album Caravanserai and played with the idea of "just one long track that went through different movements." However, it didn't work and the idea was abandoned — until Smith began piecing together some transitions or tracks that felt similar, like "Ring Road" into "Glam Bucket."

They recruited friends like U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr. to play on the wiry, sexy rocker "Boy, Boy, Boy," and even Brian Eno gave the duo a much-coveted "nod," as Hyde puts it, signaling his approval when the album was finished.

link

You can listen to the song on their myspace page. ;)

Some additional info:

There's an article (translated from Japanese) here in which one of Underworld's members is interviewed and here's what he said about Larry guesting:

Q: What sort of guests did you have?

KH: While we were recording, Rick wanted some live percussion. So we phoned an old friend from U2, Larry Mullen, and he was happy to help out. We also had a percussionist play for us by the name of Paul Klavis, who's played on Herbie Hancock and Brian Ferry albums.

Q: For an Underworld album to include guests is pretty rare isn't it?

KH: For the Breaking and Entering soundtrack we had session musicians and a splendid orchestra. On "Boy,Boy,Boy", rick had programmed in a beat, but we wanted to make that into a natural sound, so we ended up asking Larry to play that for us on the drums.

Yeah, Larry was happy to help... because he has nothing to do because they aren't working on the new album.

Bono! Get back over there and get to work!!! (how do I do that emoticon with the rolling pin?)

I saw this on another site and was all excited to get some Larry News! Glad to see our boy is keeping 'in shape' for November. That's when they're headed back to the studio, RIGHT??!! (*Bono are you reading this?*)

kafrun said:
:hmm: Starts off kinda slow, but I like it. I love Underworld :yes:

Underworld is a cool movie. Scott Speedman:drool:

Does Zee, know about this? I am sure she would like to know what her little droomer boy has been doing.:wink:

I did not know this!

Underworld are (and have been for many, many years!) in my Top 3 favorite bands of all-time!!!! :drool: :drool:

I just saw them live on my birthday at The Hollywood Bowl and they were soooooooo good! :rockon:

I've heard the album, I'm buying it today, and I had no idea Larry did the drums! That's so awesome!

Underworld feat. Larry Mullen, Jr. = :drool: :combust: :rockon:

Carmelu2fan said:
:uhoh: So we are not talking about the movie Underworld?

:reject:

No, sorry. :wink:

Underworld are a British electronica band. They formed in the 80s under the name The Freur and had a somewhat hit song called "Doot, Doot".

Then in the 90s, they underwent some band member changes, dropped the guitars completely, and by 1995 released "dubnobasswithmyheadman" a seminal record for electronica/techno music, rated only 2nd to Chemical Brothers debut "Exit Planet Dust" in its importance to the genre.

Underworld's biggest "hit' is "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" which was featured over the ending credit's to Danny Boyle's 2nd feature film "Trainspotting".

After that, they released "Second Toughest In The Infants" which spawned the hit "Pearl's Girl", and then their third album (an absolute smash in the U.K., and my personal favorite) was "Beacoup Fish", which had a song, "Moaner", featured in the 4th Batman movie, "Batman & Robin".

After "Beacoup Fish", longtime member DJ Darren Emerson amicably left the band, leaving only original founding members Karl Hyde and Rick Smith. They released "A Hundred Days Off" a couple years later in 2002, which was a decent effort, but did not further or progress on anything they had already done.

Since "A Hundred Days Off" they have been working on multiple soundtrack projects ("Breaking and Entering" and Danny Boyle's "Sunshine"), live, improvised music, and a series of digital downloads titled "The Riverrun Project". They haven't released an official album in almost five years. So today's "Oblivion With Bells" is highly and eagerly awaited by Underworld fans . . . . . including me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And "Oblivion With Bells" has been getting great reviews.

My Underworld is back!!!!! :hyper:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom