Larry Mad at Bono eeky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen-Girl

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I found a couple of articles where Larry looks like he's tired of Bono's crusading

From The Irish People:

LARRY IN BLAST AT BONO
SINGER'S CRUSADES INTERFERE WITH U2, CLAIMS DRUMMER

U2 drummer Larry Mullen has BLASTED Bono for his political crusades. In a sign
that other band members are growing tired of the singer's outbursts, Mullen said
Bono's actions had an unsettling effect on the rest of U2.

The rock hero, who has received death threats, has battled against Third World
debt and slavery.

Larry said: "It's unstable."

eeky...

------------------
THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

Member and Creator of Larry's Angels Harley Club.

"I hit things for a living. I hit things and people clap!" --Larry

ani_larry.gif

Larry: Get me off this fookin booooooooos!

[This message has been edited by Mullen-Girl (edited 03-04-2002).]

I need context MG - date, rest of article - what question was he answering? Where did you find this?

------------------
You ain't nothin without a rhythm section.

"Who's to say what it is will break you."

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Larry seemed irritated with that in the 60 min. story. All other band members were noticibly absent from Bono's Love Rocks tribute. I hope they don't give him an ultimatum or anything. Maybe that's why the delay of the new album they were supposed to start recording in Feb? We really shouldn't listen to gossip though, but like in real life we do.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-04-2002).]

k here is another article..cos the one I posted was the whole article..lol

Irish People: Save the World But Don't Wreck U2, Says Drummer
http://www.mirrorgroup.co.uk
March 4, 2002
From The Irish People:

LARRY'S BLAST AT BONO;
SAVE THE WORLD BUT DON'T WRECK U2, DRUMMER TELLS
CONSCIENCE OF ROCK
Jim Gallagher And Stephen Maguire

U2 DRUMMER Larry Mullen Jr has revealed that Bono's political crusades are
starting to unsettle the band.

He told America's 60 Minutes programme that singer's absence was felt each
time he took a break to campaign on issues such as Third World debt.

"It does interfere with the band," Larry said.

"It's a four-legged table, and with one leg missing, even for short periods of time,
the thing becomes a little unstable." His comments came as plans were
announced this week for Bono to join US Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill on
a fact finding tour of Africa.

The trip, due to take place later this month, is just the latest initiative in Bono's
drive to secure debt relief for the world's poorest countries.

Last year, he lobbied world leaders on the issue at the G8 summit in Italy and
was the star speaker at the World Economic Forum in New York last month.

And Bono spoke passionately on Third World debt and the problems of
international terrorism as U2 were honoured at this week's Grammy Awards
in Los Angeles.

He told a press conference America had the ability to save millions of lives in
Africa.

But he joked: "Sorry about the lecture. You win a few Grammys, you think you're
very interesting."Drummer Larry kick-started the U2 phenomenon back in 1976
when he posted an ad on a notice board at Dublin's Mount Temple High School
for musicians to form a band.

He says Bono didn't know how to play the guitar and had trouble singing when
he turned up for the audition.

But his "charismatic character" made Bono stand out from the crowd - and Larry
gave him the nod to join the band.

"I was in charge for the first five minutes," Larry once said. "But as soon as Bono
got there, I was out of a job."

Larry recently admitted he sometimes got bored sitting behind his drums as
Bono, Edge and Adam Clayton strutted their stuff on stage.

A Time Magazine profile of Bono this week claimed U2 came close to splitting in
1997 after the release of the Pop album - the first flop of the band's career.

The Edge told the magazine they were forced to sit down and ask if there was a
compelling reason to continue being in a band.

"Part of what we decided is that we had a sense or belief that we can still make
the album of the year."

The band played to more than two million people during the 100-sold-out nights
of last year's Elevation world tour, raking in an estimated pounds 250million.

Adam Clayton told Time Magazine Bono's decision to include in the final US
shows a tribute to some of those killed in the September 11 terror attacks had
caused divisions in the band.

Bono had called for the names of the New York police and fire officers killed in the
World Trade Center atrocity to be projected on screens and arena walls as the
band played the song One.

"I have to say I wasn't sure about it at first," said Adam.

"It seemed like we were really pushing a button. But Bono is a pretty unique
individual, and he's got great judgment.

"He's able to perform open-heart surgery and zap people with a bit of brain surger
y at the same time."

Security around Bono was stepped up last year after one of his US colleagues in
the debt relief campaign received death threats.

Despite suffering flak for his political campaigns, Bono said he had no intention of
easing up.

"I'm tired of dreaming. I'm into doing at the moment," he told Time Magazine.

"It's like, let's have goals that we can go after. U2 is about the impossible. Politics is
the art of the possible."

Bono told the 60 Minutes programme politics was in his blood.

"You can't escape the politics if you're Irish. It's like the two subjects you can't talk
about anywhere else in the world: religion and politics. It's all Irish people talk
about," he said.

He added: "Some people say that being in a band is like being in a street gang and
that you should grow out of it.

"But I think the opposite. I think people, as they get older, get rid of the arguments...
until they're left with only their point of view in the room. I don't want to be in that
situation. I'm glad I'm in a band. I like the row."

Bono's acceptance speech as U2 at the Grammy's raised some eyebrows in the
audience.

On the group's final trip to the podium, The Edge tried and get a word in.

He began to explain how special things had happened to him, when Bono suddenly
grabbed the microphone saying: "He's a guitar player. I do the talking. I'm a singer."

argh... that's just the stupid tabloids trying to stir up some sensational controversy about U2! larry made the comments about bono's work causing some tension during the 60 Minutes interview that originally aired in Feb. 2001- over a YEAR AGO! if there really was a major problem in the band, do you think they would've had such a great tour?? i highly doubt it!

that being said, it's no secret that larry is the member of U2 most likely to call it quits. but i honestly think that he's enjoying himself now- i even read an interview recently (don't remember where) in which larry says that he's finally accepted the whole fame thing (he used to have a real problem w/ it). and there's always the quote from the march issue of Q magazine (a reputable publication- not a tabloid!):

With rumors of a homecoming show in Dublin this summer, seemingly the only
thing currently beyond U2's control is the city's council. Plans to redevelop the band's Hanover Quay studios will be demolished, although they recently spent enough time there to demo eight new songs.

"There's no sense of accomplishment," explained Larry Mullen, "but there's a
sense that this is really amazing, and its only the beginning."

No worries k? Remember we are talking about BONO here, could he ever live without being a rockstar? Nope. No way. So if he goes too far and the rest of the guys are all "quit saving the world, it's time for music" he'll listen.

What I don't like, however, is in an interview he spoke about how he feels that politics doesn't need to be in music anymore. I think that's crap! It's a great forum to get your issues out there. Look at the Clash for example, that's where Bono credits his learning about South America. If the Clash just gave up singing about political issues they'd be a terrible band. I think songs like Bullet the Blue Sky have opened many U2 listeners' eyes to learning about American history that's not necessarily taught in schools or spoken about in the press. I hope he realizes that music will always be his best media for politics. And if he wants to become "Mr. Bono, conservative, liberal, Republican, Democrat, Whatever you want" than that's fine, but there will come a day where a) it will not be so shocking to see him on Capitol Hill and possibly b) he will not be a rock star on Capitol Hill (though he'll still be on Capitol Hill).

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

Originally posted by *Ally*:
argh... that's just the stupid tabloids trying to stir up some sensational controversy about U2! larry made the comments about bono's work causing some tension during the 60 Minutes interview that originally aired in Feb. 2001- over a YEAR AGO! if there really was a major problem in the band, do you think they would've had such a great tour?? i highly doubt it!

<phew>

DITTO Ally -

My first reaction was the same - quotes pasted together to make a story. Even the TIME line saying their were divisions over the WTC tribute - I think divisions happen all the time if you look at it that way. It's four opinionated people in a relationship - there will always be discussions and differences of opinion.

------------------
You ain't nothin without a rhythm section.

"Who's to say what it is will break you."

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Some times I just get so mad at journalists.
mad.gif
A bunch of quotes taken out of their sentence to make a story.

I think we all know about the bands opinion, specially Larry. He said some times during the recording of ATYCLB that it was splitting the band and that Bono delayed the work. If you take it like that, you get the feeling that he is mad, but in the next breath he says that he thinks that Bono should take a year off and do this job for Drop the debts if that's what he wants, because it's too much to do both and that it effects the rest of the band. He said it out of concern for Bono, for him not to work himself out and for the rest of them to be able to do other stuff, now they only waited for Bono to get off the phone so they could continue.

I think that is the only thing they hold against his political work. I think they all have distance enough to their music and the band to not quit it because of this. I just think they want Bono to do one thing at the time, because it takes so much out of him.
An interesting quote from Larry is to read in the Spin magazine (the issue where they are on the cover) I don't know exactly what it was but it was something about them still eager to do more and that it really was something special happening in the band right now.

*quits rambling*
smile.gif

I question the legitimacy of the article, but I wouldn't blame the other guys for being a bit tired of Bono's I will save the world thing.

They used to be a political band, but Bono decided that wasn't getting anywhere. So now he's an activist, why did the band not come with him? I know Bono is the articulate one, but shouldn't they be standing in support? I think Bono's standing alone and that's a dangerous place to be.

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
Some times I just get so mad at journalists.
mad.gif

Don't be angry at the journalists. *Defends the career she always wanted to have*
They depend on facts to write their articles, but they don't always get the facts straight from the mouth of the person. (It's very hard to do you know) So then the facts get changed around and turned into gossip and rumor, but it's mostly not thejournalists' fault! They are just doing their job. Without them, we wouldn't know goat cheese about our favorite band.

Okay, done defending!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Foadie:
Don't be angry at the journalists. *Defends the career she always wanted to have*
They depend on facts to write their articles, but they don't always get the facts straight from the mouth of the person. (It's very hard to do you know) So then the facts get changed around and turned into gossip and rumor, but it's mostly not thejournalists' fault! They are just doing their job. Without them, we wouldn't know goat cheese about our favorite band.

Okay, done defending!
smile.gif

I know foadie, I wanted to be a journalist before too.
smile.gif
But you know there are journalists and there are journalists, just like there are photographers and photographer, aka paparazzis. Some are just out there to cause problems and seems to search for facts to misinterpret to get a good story, Like this one, while most are doing an excellent job. So I'm not mad at journalists all the times, just *some times*....
smile.gif

OK, I didn't even finish reading the stupid article.... here's what I have to say:

First off, Larry felt that way about Bono's getting involved in other stuff waaaay back during the making of Achtung Baby. In fact, the whole band felt that way. So, Larry's thoughts are nothing new. However, leave it to a news show to play up on that.

Second off.... this is where I start to get really freakin' irritated with the news. Hence the reason I don't watch it anymore. Why is it that the media automatically thinks POP was a horrible album? Let me put it this way: that album came out in 1997. The album, in my humble opinion, was *before its time*.

I don't think the band was going to quit back then, just as I don't think it's going to quit now.

And, as for "the raising of the eyebrows" by Bono's actions with Edge on the last acceptance speech... give me a break. Did any of the media people even WATCH the Grammys last year? For cryin' out loud, Bono was joking around! Oh, but nooooo... can't joke around in front of a bunch of media people... they take everything too freakin' serious. Ugh.

It's stuff like this that makes me mad. What U2 does in their personal lives and in their business should be kept private. I hate it when media people think they have the inside scoop on everything, when in reality, they don't. Larry blasting Bono for taking up causes? Larry's been telling Bono that for years. I remember a comment Larry made once about how taking up all the causes back during Joshua Tree was a bit much and they had to tell Bono to tone it down a bit. So freakin' what? But now, suddenly, there's unrest in the band! I can see it now.... next thing we know, the media's going to claim that U2 is breaking up because Bono wants to run for president. Whatever.

I'm not mad at anyone for posting this article. It's food for fodder. I am mad at the dunderheads who write this shite and try to make it look like Bono's an idiot. Just as much as I hated hearing about that dumb newscaster here in L.A. claiming that Bono was a drunk because he was found passed out on the men's room floor. Stupid newscaster didn't even read the article that whole situation was based on. If she had, she would have realized that Bono is allergic to red wine. GAWD, I hate the media nutsos.

Moonie

LARRY BORED? my poor baby. the think we have to remember is that there friends and like all friends there bound to fight and get pissed off at each other. i read somewhere that if u dont fight with ur friends every now and then it means u dont care enough to fight

------------------
i'm already gone, felt that way all along

i think thats the nicest pic ive ever seen. i mean look at adam, have u ever seen anyone look that cute. how does he do it. that man r should i say god never ceases to amaze me

------------------
i'm already gone, felt that way all along

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:
I found a couple of articles where Larry looks like he's tired of Bono's crusading

From The Irish People:

LARRY IN BLAST AT BONO
SINGER'S CRUSADES INTERFERE WITH U2, CLAIMS DRUMMER

U2 drummer Larry Mullen has BLASTED Bono for his political crusades. In a sign
that other band members are growing tired of the singer's outbursts, Mullen said
Bono's actions had an unsettling effect on the rest of U2.

The rock hero, who has received death threats, has battled against Third World
debt and slavery.

Larry said: "It's unstable."

"It" is unstable? What's "it"? The writer's intelligence? Or his journalistic integrity? I can't figure out which...
rolleyes.gif

I always giggle when I see this thread title
Sounds like a little kid saying it..
Um, have some happiness
333858%3A723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E737%3E8%3B4%3EWSNRCG%3D323238938635%3Cnu0mrj

------------------
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Hallelujah Here She Comes, about Adam

A big pile of steaming shite, I tell you.
*SENSATIONALISM*
It seems the media is on a role with this one. Attacking U2 and Bono on a daily basis.
F*** em all.
The most disturbing thing though...and the thing I'm MOST worried about are the death threats.
I hope Bono is safe at all times. Losing him would just about kill me.
*knock on fucking wood*

[This message has been edited by mmmBono (edited 03-06-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom