Larry Birthday Book #2 (update etc)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Hey all.

Right I've advertised this in a few places and got quite a few messages now. I'm going to the massive office supplies warehouse on Thursday to get materials for making the book (any old excuse, because I am a stationery whore. Yeah, go on, laugh. :p) and will start putting it together. I've had a couple of full-page messages which were very cool, lots are much shorter so I'm going to put them 2 or 3 to a page, make them bigger so they all get equal attention and then maybe add some wee pics or something just to brighten it up.

Does anyone have ideas for a cover? Should I use an image or just write what it is in a nice lettering? Let me know what you think. :)

Now re: messages. I am moving the deadline back to next Tuesday (25th, I think that is) to give me more time for making the book up and then posting it to get to Dublin on time. Yeah he won't BE there but there's still no point sending it unless it's there for the day, lol! Maybe they'll tell him it's there. *grins* So if you haven't sent a message yet, please please make sure it's in by Tuesday, otherwise it won't be included.

If you've posted a message in the other thread but NOT emailed it to me, it won't be added. I need to know which are genuine and I'd like them all with names (what's the point, otherwise, lol). If you've not sent it to me directly, please do that or you'll be left out and when Larry calls to say thanks you'll be sorry. ;) (A girl can dream!)

Email: bonoffee@gmail.com

Okay, enough for now. Sorry for the long post - but I want this to be good! :D

Much love
Kat x

Can't wait!

You should make the cover a red and black target with a harley davidson symbol in the middle. LOL I dunno.

Actually, I just came to Interference to post a picture of some earrings I made when I was bored that were HTDAAB-themed :laugh: I could send them to you and he might wear them. Yeah, he'd love that.

Well. This is definitely going to be good. I hope not too many people have said "LARRY/ADAM FOREVER OMGZ TRUE LOVE!" Hee hee... not that I would ever do such a thing, of course! He's going to love this, I know he is :)

I would propose my original post

COVER:

Larry, we have two words for you...

FIRST PAGE:

Happy Birthday

Just a solid background with lettering.

And then the next pages the messages?

That's all I got :wink:

Well my plan was to deliver it when I went across to Dublin with my friend, but unfortunately we've had to abandon that plan. At the moment it looks like I'll have to post it, which will probably cost but it shouldn't be too bad, and I can use special delivery to make sure it arrives there. :) I might even ring them up and ask if it arrived. ;)

chickadee,
Miroslava's idea for the cover is great. You want something that intrigues him, draw him to the book.

Since I had the good fortune to get the caption book to Edge, I'll send postive thoughts your way in getting Larry his birthday book.

Yeah, I liked that idea too! :)

Cassandra can I ask how exactly did you make the book? I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure what would be best. Asking you as someone who has successfully made & delivered!

chickadee said:
Yeah, I liked that idea too! :)

Cassandra can I ask how exactly did you make the book? I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure what would be best. Asking you as someone who has successfully made & delivered!

Let's see...I use a cardboard poster for the front and back covers, nothing too heavy; I was able to use a 3 hole punch with it. To make them into a "binder", I use book rings to attach them. I had to do this because the fabric "paper" was an unusual size. Of course if you are just using regular size paper, then you can use a regular size binder.

Whether you are making your binder or buying one, think about how to decorate it to attract Larry. For example, back in the 80's, Larry use to wear a denim jacket (sleeves cut off) over his leather jacket. With that in mind, at some of the fancy paper stores you can get faux leather paper and attach that to the cover. Or if you have an old pair of jeans, cut a piece or cut off the pocket and attach that to the cover. Then add your words, "I got two words for you... The objective is to not only to attract, but also keep someone from tossing it aside without even looking at it. That's why I used the dyed fabric for the binder covers.

The pages...do you have access to color printer? If so, you may think about doing the messages in a couple of different colors (stay away from yellows and light colors-hard to read against white paper). No color printer, then how about several different fonts.

Even though the book is self-explanatory, you made want to include an intro page to say where it came from, who are all those people, your name and email address.

That's all I can think of...let me know if you need anymore of my "expertise":wink:

Thank you for your advice Cassandra! Yeah I didn't go to the shops the other day cause I wasn't feeling well, so I'll have to go next week. I'll have to use the uni printer which is B&W but yeah I considered the fonts as well! And I'll stick some info and things in.

If anyone has other ideas just say, cause it's everyone's book as well as mine! I'll let everyone know what I do in the end.

Back
Top Bottom