Just for "kicks"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
All my life I have been accused of 'getting on kicks'- getting a little TOO interested, maybe obsessed, with certain things. These 'kicks' last a long time and are almost always recurring, even if I get 'off the kick' of something I will eventually get back on it again at some point.

Today I found out I am not the only person here who gets on these kicks! :happy: Of course, we are all on a U2 kick to some extent or we wouldn't be here. I thought it might be fun to list some of the things that might be or have been 'kicks' for us! Count your whole life, even back to childhood. Those were some of the best.

Mine:

U2 and Bono (naturally)
Little House on the Prairie (books more than the TV show)
History, especially Civil War, old west, European royalty, Russian Tsars and nobility
Return of the Jedi - it took me until this movie to get on a kick of all 3
UFO's, which sparked my first interest in sci-fi, even Japanese animation, as well as astronomy
other rock bands besides U2 (well sometimes!)
animals (this has been never ending)
collecting Beanie Babies (the one I'm perhaps most ashamed of since they are worth nothing now, but they were for my little girl and I met some nice people doing this)
trying to be an artist or a writer, it's in me and I get gung ho on it from time to time
cars, interest in families of who made each car, saving used car ads (I was a kid, this was lame)
collecting: at different times, rocks, coins, football cards and stickers
football- I have been known to get very into the NFL in an unhealthy way
geography, maps, states, collecting travel pamphlets from various states and countries, this started with an interest in license plates as a kid and grew to a must have cross country road trip much later

Oh I know there are more, shows, songs, movies, stuff, I'll post more if I think of them. Looking at my list that's a pretty weird assortment of interests :lmao:

What are some of yours?

well, besides U2 :sexywink:

in highschool I was really into the band Queen (around the time Wayne's World came out :lol: , but unfortunately soon after Freddie Mercury passed away :sad: ) My sister and I shared our Queen cd's and cassettes, but after college, when we got jobs in different towns, I let her have them (because she was a little bigger fan of them than me :hug: ) I still have the greatest hits though :lol:

I was on a Rolling Stones kick too, but I got to keep all of those cds :) They are still the only band besides U2 I would pay alot to see (I saw them once in 1999 :scratch: I think, and they were great! Not as great as U2 of course :sexywink: , but a great show)

um, what else . . .

collecting Disney pins and ride posters

James Bond movies :lol:

My Kicks- by Flavia

In no particular order:

Bono (duh! isnt it obvious?)

History books: Irish and Roman history in particular ( im gonna go broke if I dont stop buying books)

The conflicts in Nothern Ireland ( this particular subject has been intensified since I visited N.I last year)

Movie soundtracks

Snuff ( For those who have never heard of this, it is a mixture of tobacco and mint. Once you snort a pinch of this stuff, your air waves open up like hell! And no, it is not a drug! :lol:)

Shoes

Films starring Daniel Day Lewis

I will probably come up with more stuff later on :D

OK, in no particular order:

U2 (of course)
medieval re-enactment--I have put up with cold showers, freezing weather, rainstorms (including a storm where we had to leave site for the night and stay in a hotel because there was a tornado in the area), Snoring Competitions in cabins, just so I can walk around like a peacock in medieval finery, eat fabulous feasts, listen to gorgeous music, do fun dances, and give and take classes in something most people don't give a damn about. I'm not into it as much as I was for about ten years but it's still fun. I just got some new costumes, can't wait to wear them!
maps--I'm a map freak. I love maps, I can look at maps for hours.
figure skating--Welcome to the club, kelly, I have no idea how many skating tapes I have, they go back to 1992

Besides U2 I'm guilty of the ice skating, the space stuff, UFO's and some really offbeat science fiction novels and comic books, and General Hospital :reject: Magic, well not really, but for years I was into the Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie reruns and my friends and I thought we were witches. They called me Tabitha.

:hmm: Kicks...

Harry Potter (I'm still on that kick...)

LOTR (still on that kick, too...)

Not buying products made from animals or tested on them (been on this kick for several years now...)

New Kids on the Block

The TV show Solid Gold (and the Solid Gold dancers)

Beanie Babies (I have my whole collection just sitting in a huge Rubbermaid tub, have no clue what to do with it)

Collecting Barbies (This kick lasted from 1995-1999, then I moved out of my parents house and I haven't bought any since, mainly for space reasons... though I am going to be moving soon and will have more room, so I'm debating whether I should revisit this kick... again, I have easily over 100 Barbies, just sitting in big boxes, doing nothing). :|

I was on the Cabbage Soup diet kick when it was popular... ugh, I remember that by the end of the week of eating nothing but that soup, I wanted to throw up at just the sight of it... I haven't touched any kind of cabbage soup since.

Tarot cards (I bought a deck of cards and two books on how to use them... I think I read two chapters in one of the books and that's it). :|

I'm probably forgetting loads.... A lot of my kicks have been liking different celebs over the years... and collections, like the Barbies, Beanies, etc. I'm just a huge pack rat :shifty:

Lets see my kicks are:

In high school I was obsessed with Duran Duran for several years, but thats over with. I was also obsessed with Barbie. I had a huge collection. My Barbie's had everything, clothes, a home, car, horse, dog.

I cant get enough of Make-up and skin products. I've been a makeup junkie since high school. Sephora is my 2nd home.

Designer clothes and Fashion magazines. I studied fashion design and I have a massive collection of fashion magazines since the mid-80's. I have them all neatly oraganzied on book shelves.

I hope to be able to travel all over the world some day so i have this huge collection of travel books, I love travel books. Whenever I see a book on a country I want to visit I buy it.

And lastly, Colin Farrell:love: Im on such a Colin kick right now I scare myself:lol:

Last edited:
erised said:

Beanie Babies (I have my whole collection just sitting in a huge Rubbermaid tub, have no clue what to do with it)

:laugh: I have four Rubbermaid tubs, is that was everyone did with them? :lmao: I have the 'buddies' stuffed in the drawers of my old room at my Mom's. She found out and had a fit! I feel so lame now for all those times I staked places out and stood in line for hours to get the latest bears. I got my first cell phone back in '99 so my gang and I could inform each other of 'hits':huh: I used to feel so cool getting a bear for $6 that was going on the side of the road stands and with dealers for $50. Now I couldn't even sell them for what I paid:scream: I feel sorry for the people who did pay $50!

I have easily over 100 Barbies, just sitting in big boxes, doing nothing). :|

I probably have about 80 myself. When I was a kid I wanted a lot of Barbies but I never had many and in those days they were mostly all blondes. It was always a dream I had to have 50 different Barbies, all hair colors, ethnicities, faces and styles, and have a pretend Miss USA pageant pulling names out of hats. So I started collecting whenever I saw a different one I didn't have or a good deal. I even got the Spice Girls dolls because they were unique looking from other Barbies. I tried to say these were for my little girl but she's never really cared that much. She won't even play beauty pageant with me:uhoh: She got more into Pokemon.

:hmm:

Let me see......

-U2 (natch!)
-the Titanic - I've always been fascinated by it. I've got loads of books about it and documentarys recorded off the telly. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by a huge human disaster, though... :huh::laugh:
-Ireland - I just love the place. Always have. My mum reckons I lived there in a previous life :laugh:
-Houses/property - one day I want to make a living from property development. I'm just dead interested in the way people live
-Air cooled VWs (although this interest has been sidelined somewhat since I sold my 1967 Beetle to go travelling)
-Travel. I spent much of 2002 globe trotting (US, Australia, NZ, South Pacific) and I've done many other trips - eg to Syria, Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Prague, etc etc. I want to see as much of the world as I can before I die.

I'm sure there's more.....:hmm::hmm:

Ok my "kicks" are:

-Larry - :drool: I've been obsessed with this man for such a long time. He is just an amazing musician and great guy.

-David Beckham - :drool: :drool: He is just a great soccer player and he is such a lovely man. After reading his book I think I fell even more in love with him. :heart:

-The Getaway Car - A local band, friend of ours. I'm really great friends with the lead singer who also went on tour with Lucy Woodward, was on the Tonight Show, did a commercial for the Pontiac Vibe. www.thegetawaycar.net

-Traveling - I just can't get enough! Especially in Europe. I've been 3 times, lived in Dublin in 2002 and I want to go back so bad. I just love seeing new cultures and speaking all the different languages.

-Cats - I :heart: cats! My fiance even calls me kiti cos he says that i'm like a kitty.

Hmmm... my kicks are

• web design (doing it and checking out others)
  • U2 :wink:
  • writing (ever since I could, I have)
  • gymnastics - more when I was younger.
  • NCAA basketball
  • my sister's sports team - volleyball, softball, I went to almost every game and travel tourney. Her team was unbelievable and the pitcher is now one of the best ever at URI.
  • civil war - reading, writing about, visitng reenactments.. loved it all.
  • travel - I'm always looking in up deals and places I can go and want to go.
  • I just remembered in high school collecting all the movie ads in magazines- I had albums full! :lol: :huh:
  • pool- we had free coupons in college & played 3x a week during our junior year!
  • snood :reject:
  • politics.. when I can handle it.
  • theater.. mainly in high school. 3plays a year..

U2Kitten said:

I have four Rubbermaid tubs, is that was everyone did with them? I have the 'buddies' stuffed in the drawers of my old room at my Mom's. She found out and had a fit! I feel so lame now for all those times I staked places out and stood in line for hours to get the latest bears. I got my first cell phone back in '99 so my gang and I could inform each other of 'hits' I used to feel so cool getting a bear for $6 that was going on the side of the road stands and with dealers for $50. Now I couldn't even sell them for what I paid I feel sorry for the people who did pay $50!

:lmao: I have pics of one of the times me, my sis and my one friends stood outside a flower shop in the COLD Michigan weather in the wee hours of the morning just because we found out they got a shipment of the Peace bears in... I have pics of us afterward, looking very sleepy but still overjoyed, each with a bag full of the latest releases for that day, including the Peace bear. :coocoo: We bring up that day occasionally and all still laugh about it.

U2Kitten said:

I probably have about 80 myself. When I was a kid I wanted a lot of Barbies but I never had many and in those days they were mostly all blondes. It was always a dream I had to have 50 different Barbies, all hair colors, ethnicities, faces and styles, and have a pretend Miss USA pageant pulling names out of hats. So I started collecting whenever I saw a different one I didn't have or a good deal. I even got the Spice Girls dolls because they were unique looking from other Barbies. I tried to say these were for my little girl but she's never really cared that much. She won't even play beauty pageant with me:uhoh: She got more into Pokemon.

I still love Barbie, I just ran out of room (there's no room to display Barbies in a 1 BR flat) and I couldn't justify spending any more money on them when they were just going to go into storage. :sigh: I have a lot of the expensive ones...Mackie's, etc. I started out buying the pink box ones, but then I started being selective when I realized I couldn't possibly own every single Barbie they release each year. :shifty: My favorite Barbie is the Moon Goddess one, and my email addresses are variations of that name (in case anyone who knows me wonders what my weird email addys mean) ... I had subscribed to Barbie Bazaar for several years, but I stopped it cuz I got tired of seeing all the Barbies I couldn't purchase. :( But I'm moving REAL soon and will have more room in my new house, so I may have to actually display some of my Barbies, properly this time. :hyper: I bought a porcelain one a couple years ago...it's a ballerina one, inspired by one of those famous paintings, gawd, the name of it escapes me at the moment. Anyhoo, I'd love to display that one, it's so purty :love:

kellyahern said:
in highschool I was really into the band Queen (around the time Wayne's World came out :lol: , but unfortunately soon after Freddie Mercury passed away :sad: ) My sister and I shared our Queen cd's and cassettes, but after college, when we got jobs in different towns, I let her have them (because she was a little bigger fan of them than me :hug: ) I still have the greatest hits though :lol:

Oh! :ohmy: Another former Queen-fan - what a surprise! :ohmy: I also had a "slightly small" Queen-obsession when I was in high school (...but that was from '98 - '01 :lol: )... Me and my best friend used to make fun of our obsessions (she's a die-hard Depeche mode fan) of 80's music, and especially about the guys singing in "our bands" becuase they were sooo much older than ourselves... We made a saying - well, first it was only about Freddie - but it turned out to be about any guy we knew we couldn't "get": If he was 30 younger, alive and NOT gay - yes, I'd want him!... :lol:
...These days I hardly ever listen to Queen-music - I got tired of their music, because it was always entertaining, always "just for fun" (but ask me any question about them or their lyrics and I can answer it - or play a chord from one of their songs and I can sing the entire song!) - In the end of my high school days I was looking for a band and some music with a sound and lyrics that had a political and religious perspective that I could relate to - along came ATYCLB... and I certainly found what I was looking for!!! :sexywink:

... will be back later with more "kicks"

Btw, "Merc" is short for Mercury - guess why! :wink:

Last edited:
erised said:

:lmao: I have pics of one of the times me, my sis and my one friends stood outside a flower shop in the COLD Michigan weather in the wee hours of the morning just because we found out they got a shipment of the Peace bears in... I have pics of us afterward, looking very sleepy but still overjoyed, each with a bag full of the latest releases for that day, including the Peace bear. :coocoo: We bring up that day occasionally and all still laugh about it.

Been there, done that, all kinds of weather, why did we do it! ;)

Remember the 'dark' and 'light' peace bears? Then they got you wanting different patterns, I think I have five of them :crazy:

There was one party shop where people would camp out all night on the sidewalk all night. Then they started coming the evening before and the other shop owners complained so much they had to switch to a lottery system. Then the fad died out and they can't get rid of them :sigh:

I agree about the Barbies too, I can't justify spending any more money on them and I don't have a way to display them. Maybe someday! :love:

Merc said:

Oh! :ohmy: Another former Queen-fan - what a surprise! :ohmy: I also had a "slightly small" Queen-obsession when I was in high school (...but that was from '98 - '01 :lol: )... Me and my best friend used to make fun of our obsessions (she's a die-hard Depeche mode fan) of 80's music, and especially about the guys singing in "our bands" becuase they were sooo much older than ourselves... We made a saying - well, first it was only about Freddie - but it turned out to be about any guy we knew we couldn't "get": If he was 30 younger, alive and NOT gay - yes, I'd want him!... :lol:
...These days I hardly ever listen to Queen-music - I got tired of their music, because it was always entertaining, always "just for fun" (but ask me any question about them or their lyrics and I can answer it - or play a chord from one of their songs and I can sing the entire song!) - In the end of my high school days I was looking for a band and some music with a sound and lyrics that had a political and religious perspective that I could relate to - along came ATYCLB... and I certainly found what I was looking for!!! :sexywink:

... will be back later with more "kicks"

Btw, "Merc" is short for Mercury - guess why! :wink:

:yes: totally relate to what you're saying about the music Fun is a good way to describe it. Imho, U2 is a little more meaningful.

(I don't want to offend any other Queen fans :reject: I still consider myself a fan and I still have a soft spot for them, just in a different way :hug: )

and for me the crush was on Roger Taylor :lol:

Last edited:
erised said:

My favorite Barbie is the Moon Goddess one, and my email addresses are variations of that name (in case anyone who knows me wonders what my weird email addys mean) ...

OMG... it's freaky that I was just about to ask you about that today before I read this... :eeklaugh:

I bought a porcelain one a couple years ago...it's a ballerina one, inspired by one of those famous paintings, gawd, the name of it escapes me at the moment. Anyhoo, I'd love to display that one, it's so purty :love:

You mean Degas?

I loved Barbies, had tons of them when I was younger but I gave them away when I lost interest.

Some of my other kicks:

Current:

Queer as Folk (the Showtime series)
Sarah McLachlan
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
David Bowie
Friends
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
slash & fanfiction

Through the years:

The Thundercats
Sergei Grinkov and Ekaterina Gordeeva
Alexei Nemov
Russell Crowe :|
Jon Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
hair metal bands :|
Candy Candy (anime)
Anne of Green Gables (books and movies) I still love them.
Astronomy
Depeche Mode
Musical theater
Menudo ( :eeklaugh: )
Disco music (after seeing Saturday Night Fever when I was a kid)
Star Wars (of course, now I compare it with LOTR and I dunno, it doesn't seem so great anymore)
Hans Christian Anderssen
King Arthur, Camelot, Guinevere, Lancelot...
Isabel Allende
Miguel Bos?
Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice :drool:
Jane Austen
English poetry
GLOW (yes, women's wrestling :lol: )
Bewitched & I Dream of Jeannie
Audrey Hepburn
Julie Andrews
Splash (after I saw it I became obsessed with mermaids, I thought they really existed and I wanted to be one)
South American music
Johnny Depp (still lurve him)
Jason Patric in Lost Boys
classical music & opera
Dracula, Lestat, vampires

flaming june said:

Some of my other kicks:

Through the years:

GLOW (yes, women's wrestling :lol: )

:lol: Me and my sister went through a WWF phase... I was in the 8th grade, I think. I was totally in love with Brutus the Barber Beefcake... I think I even got to meet him and have my pic taken with him at one of those autorama thingies. :wink:

flaming june said:

You mean Degas?

Yeah, that's it! :der:

Isn't she purty? Such a shame...all this time she's been closed up in the original shipping box on a shelf in my closet :| She needs to be displayed :sigh:

29905_9993_main.jpg

Last edited:
flaming june said:

OMG... it's freaky that I was just about to ask you about that today before I read this... :eeklaugh:

You've been emailing me for how long and you just had the urge to ask me about it today?!?

:eeklaugh:

This doll is just gorgeous in person... the pic does her no justice :tsk:

14105_9993_main.jpg

U2Kitten said:

Remember the 'dark' and 'light' peace bears? Then they got you wanting different patterns, I think I have five of them :crazy:

I hated it when they came out with variations, cuz of course we always had to have ALL the variations!! :coocoo:

Originally posted by U2Kitten
There was one party shop where people would camp out all night on the sidewalk all night. Then they started coming the evening before and the other shop owners complained so much they had to switch to a lottery system. Then the fad died out and they can't get rid of them :sigh:

I know, it's a shame :tsk: I do still look at them occasionally... I saw a green "Dublin" bear in Newark Airport when I was on my way to Ireland last year.... I had an urge to buy it, cuz of the Dublin trip and all, but then I thought about all the beanies I had at home just sitting in the Rubbermaid, and I put it down. :sigh:

I did always like the bears, though... my Garcia bear was always my favorite. An ex-boyfriend bought it for me, cuz even though I really liked the bear, it was during the height of the craze and there was no way I was going to pay a lot of money for a bag of beans, but he bought it for me and it had really nice colors... probably still one of my favs if I had to choose. :)

*edited cuz I originally said that I didn't know if I saw the Dublin bear in Newark airport going to or from Ireland, but then I remembered the great sprint I had to do to get to the gate on the return flight (remember that Katty? :uhoh: ) and so I must have seen the beanie bear in the gift shop before we even left for the emerald isle.

Last edited:
I'm defintly the obsessive type, so this list should be much longer but I'm not remembering things I've fallen away from. This list is of things I've fallen in love with and still have re-occurring interests in. In chronological order!

Super Nintendo (favorite game still Super Mario World)
Star Trek the Next Generation
X-Men (originally the animated series, now also the movies)
Little House on the Prairie books
Batman (the movies and animated series, but not the comic books)
Jared Leto/Jordan Catalono
My So-Called Life
Madonna
Party of Five
The X-Files
ER
ER fanfiction (strictly Doug and Carol though)
Jodie Foster/Silence of the Lambs
Russell Crowe
Ed Harris
U2
slash
Prince William
Harry Potter
Johnny Depp
Lord of the Rings
Robbie Williams

Oh that's a nice thread ( I was away for too long too see it before. :sexywink: )

U2...well yeah. It started with the ATYCLB CD and than grew into a collection of rare 70 singles, vinyl albums, irish hospice things, etc. :sigh:

Queen. I was obsessed with them for a while when I was 8 because I loved their music. Until my brother told me I was on a trip and should start getting normal. And I was too angyr to go on listening to his CDs.

David Bowie.

Reading. WHEN I have time I read two or three books within some days.

Irish history.

Gav, oh my god I almost forgot GAV O_O! I have all almost all of his released things and there is hardly anything I know of that is not already in my collection. Including VP things.

*sleepy*

Been meaning to reply to this...was trying to remember all my kicks I've had or am having.

So, here goes...aside from any and all things U2-related (and Bono-related in particular)...

-Beetlejuice-I've seen both the cartoon and the movie, andwhen I was little I thought Lydia was the coolest girl in the world (I can actually draw her really well)-I even dressed up like her for Halloween once...:reject:, and I wished I had a ghost friend like Beetlejuice (the cartoon version, that is). I can't draw him quite as well as I can Lydia-my drawings of him always wind up looking like an angry girl with gray skin who's in jail :der:, although there is one drawing of him I did that I'm rather proud of.
-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and now the Alarm-getting on a kick with them
-PLEBA
-Ghosts in general. They just fascinate me. I enjoy watching shows and reading books involving ghost stories and stuff along those lines.
-"Aladdin"-when I was little I watched this movie so often I'm surprised I didn't wear out the tape
-Ireland and European accents in general (mainly as of late, for obvious reasons)
-Phantom of the Opera-loved that story when I was in middle school
-"Mad About You"
-"Just Shoot Me"
-"Lizzie McGuire"
-"Tommy Boy" (still do love this movie)
-Spice Girls (yes, I was a fan of them at one time...:reject:...I was 13, 14 years old, what can I say!)
-"The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo"
-"Daria"

Um...I think that's it...if not, I'll add whatever else I forgot. God, my poor family-I don't know how they put up with some of these obsessions...*Shakes head, chuckles* Anywho...feel better now, U2Kitten? Told ya you weren't alone. :D.

Angela

I get on kicks too . Going back to when I was really little, they are Ninja turtles, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the beast, Lisa Frank, Spice Girls, Beenie babies, stuffed animals, ceramic animals, Giga Pets, Pokemon cards and toys, Xenon girl of he 21st century, Britney Spears, Lizzie Maguire, Passions and Days of Our Lives the soaps, Harry Potter, LOTR, lot of bands, color guard, the internet, my boyfriend. I am still on the last 6 but mostly LOTR, color guard and my boyfriend.

the site bounced me out again while typing up my list :grumpy: :grumpy:

too long a post to redo tonight, but i had to share this:
while i was writing the rock & rock stuff-- the netcafe's piped in radio music station-- played {and I haven't herard this song in years} "Apple Scruffs" / G Harrison/Beatles.

It's actually one the the most lovingly sweet songs about fans- in this case hanging around an R&R studio - The Beatles' Apple Recording Studio :) .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom