Jen's Random Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Random picture from "back in the day" :lmao:

jenmich.jpg

The horse thing

Believe me, it was not by choice! For those who don't know, I am a vet student, and this semester we have a class on animal reproduction. 2 of our labs involve "rectal palpation" of horses and cows. Theoretically you are supposed to be able to feel their ovaries, uterus, etc. and figure out where they are in their cycle so you know when to breed them - but it just all felt like warm mush to me.

Yucky!!!! :barf:

Good thing I plan to do doggies and kitties. :yes:

Re: The horse thing

bonosloveslave said:
Believe me, it was not by choice! For those who don't know, I am a vet student, and this semester we have a class on animal reproduction. 2 of our labs involve "rectal palpation" of horses and cows. Theoretically you are supposed to be able to feel their ovaries, uterus, etc. and figure out where they are in their cycle so you know when to breed them - but it just all felt like warm mush to me.

Yucky!!!! :barf:

Good thing I plan to do doggies and kitties. :yes:

Ooh...That's cool! I didn't know you were going to be a vet!

I :heart: animals!!!

Re: Re: The horse thing

wertsie said:

Ooh...That's cool! I didn't know you were going to be a vet!

I :heart: animals!!!

I was gonna be a vet... but all the hard work it was gonna involve put me off. Still, I wouldnt mind being a vet nurse. :hmm:

Re: Re: Re: The horse thing

ZooEuropa said:
I was gonna be a vet... but all the hard work it was gonna involve put me off. Still, I wouldnt mind being a vet nurse. :hmm:

That is actually what I have been since 1997 (in Michigan our official title is Licensed Veterinary Technician). I wanted to be a vet for the longest time, got really good grades in high school (graduated with a 3.89), but really blew it my first year in college. I got my first 2 D's ever in Chemistry and Pre-Calc, and pretty much figured at that point that I didn't "have what it takes" to get to vet school. I had heard about the vet tech program, and that sounded appealing since it would still be related, be cheaper, and be done in only 2 years rather than 6+.

So I started the tech program, and by the end of the first year I had maintained a 4.0. I realized that I probably could make it to vet school if I really tried, so I went to talk to a school counselor about it. She said, if I knew I really wanted to try for vet school, I should just drop out of the tech program at that point and get going on the prerequisites for vet school, since none of the classes from the tech program would transfer. I decided to go ahead and finish what I had started, figuring I'd be able to get more veterinary experience with better pay if I was an LVT while I was waiting to get into vet school.

I have definitely taken the scenic route to get to where I am now, it has somehow taken me 10 years to become a vet! But I don't regret any of it, and would just say to shoot for doing something that you really like to do, not just a job that pays the bills. Believe me, I will never be rich being a vet, but I'm doing (or will be doing) what I love.

Although I'm not loving my classes right at this moment. :no:

________
sorry to get all serious on ya there, back to the randomness!! :wave:

that's good advice, bls...i'm going through that period of throwing around my life right now...we'll see how it goes...:shrug:

Stories for Boys said:
that's good advice, bls...i'm going through that period of throwing around my life right now...we'll see how it goes...:shrug:

Me too......... Thats great BLS! :D I'll just have to see where things take me at the moment...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom