Jamila's Pic of Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmelu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is a pic that Jamila asked me to post for her. I do not remember what the event was that this was taken at, but I am sure she will fill you in. I just wanted to post the picture because I was so excited to see it myself!! The following are comments made by Jamila that was attached to the photo.

"Well, here is the picture. It's a bit grainy because I only had a little disposable camera with me and it was very dark.

You can still see Bono's big smile as he rushed over to say hello to all of the fifty or so folks who had waited outside the Washington Hilton to get a chance to meet him.

Catriona is in the background in the black and white outfit getting into the car. While she was not in Bono's personal space while he was with us, she definitely was closely watching everything that was happening.

I really like her - she seems to truly have Bono's best interest at heart. And we all know that he can use as many of those kind of friends and associates as he can get.

She waited in the car while Bono spent about 15 minutes with us.

There's no them, there's ONLY US!
Everything IS Possible!
I AM, because WE ARE!

3393059_R1_002_00A.jpg

Thank you for posting this, Carmelu2fan.

Catriona is Bono's PA (Personal Assistant) and has been with him during the Vertigo tour (all legs) and at this appearance at the ASAE conference in Washington DC on 3 February 2006.

Several people in a previous thread had mentioned that they had never seen Catriona with Bono during their concerts on the Vertigo tour and wanted to see a pic of them.

So I offered this one.

I have said some very genuinely nice things about Catriona because I have seen Bono with at least one other PA several years ago who simply did not have the Grace and Kindness that Catriona seems to possess.

I am glad that Bono has found a professional associate who really seems to have his best interest at heart.

I'm glad that everyone seems to appreciate the picture - it was offered In the Name of Love.

Kudos to Carmelu2fan. :dancing:

Yeah, thank you! Is her story about that posted anywhere? I assume it was just a quick 'hello', but still, I'd love to read about it.

nice pic ^^
and there's a pic of Bono and Catriona in the Rolling stone interview... when he's in his appartment in NY, working on a laptop or so.. maybe somebody can scan that for a clearer pic?

Galeongirl said:
nice pic ^^
and there's a pic of Bono and Catriona in the Rolling stone interview... when he's in his appartment in NY, working on a laptop or so.. maybe somebody can scan that for a clearer pic?

If I recall, that was a pic of Lucy Matthew, his DATA assistant/co-worker.
A guy can never have too many assistants!:wink:

This is all I'll say which I've said before to clarify who's who in these pictures:

Catriona is Bono's Personal Assistant, definitely when he is on tour, but also when he is on speaking engagements like the one that was just held in Washington DC on 3 February 2006.

Going to speaking engagements of Bono's now for over three years, I have seen Bono go through a few different people as Personal Assistants. This is probably because the PA becomes too overwhelmed in fulfilling their professional obligations to one of the world's most famous (and desirable) people or the job doesn't turn out to be what they thought it would be.

From what I have seen of Catriona, she is probably the best PA for Bono that he has had in many years. She seems genuinely concerned about him and his welfare without getting overwhelmed as described above.

Her respect and platonic affection for Bono is obvious, but she seems to know how to contain it so that it doesn't cause problems for her or anyone else.

Lucy Mathew has been the London based director of DATA since DATA's inception in 2002 (with jaime Drummond being the U.S. based director of DATA). Both Lucy and Jaime met Bono around 1998 when they were all working on the Jubilee (Drop the Debt) campaign.

LUCY HAS NEVER BEEN BONO'S PERSONAL ASSISTANT - she has always held a co-equal position within the ranks of DATA along with Jaime and Bono.

Currently, she is taking a lower profile within DATA due to her pregnancy.

I am sure that she will resume her very active position in DATA when she feels ready to.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

I definitely hope that this doesn't lead to more inuuendoes and harmful speculations.

All three of these people (Bono, Catriona and Lucy) are MAGNIFICENT and LOVELY HUMAN BEINGS and they are all very lucky to have each other as friends and professional associates.

I have met all three of them (however briefly) and know what I am speaking about.

:yes:

First of all, you spelled innuendo wrong.

Second, no one has even remotely hinted at "inuuendoes (sic) and harmful speculations" until now-- you were the first to do so.

Finally... I'm not sure shaking someone's hand from behind the rope line makes you any sort on expert of that person's character. Not that I'm casting any aspersions on any of them-- I'm sure they're all lovely people... I just don't claim to KNOW anything about a person, simply because I shook their hand, or because they signed my ticket stub.

Jamila said:

LUCY HAS NEVER BEEN BONO'S PERSONAL ASSISTANT - she has always held a co-equal position within the ranks of DATA along with Jaime and Bono.

:

You might want to take that up with the New York Times, as it is that publication that identified Lucy Matthew as Bono's "assistant".

Her respect and platonic affection for Bono is obvious, but she seems to know how to contain it so that it doesn't cause problems for her or anyone else.

Why would she need to contain her respect and platonic
affection? Doesn't that seem counter-productive? Shouldn't an assistant embrace those feelings?

I definitely hope that this doesn't lead to more inuuendoes and harmful speculations.

Hmm....Once again, Jamila, you are the only one who has raised the spectre of innuendo and speculation. Why do you keep doing that, I wonder?

biff said:

Hmm....Once again, Jamila, you are the only one who has raised the spectre of innuendo and speculation. Why do you keep doing that, I wonder?

OK, now I'm curious. I've seen this "innuendo" referenced in probably ten threads in the past few months and honest-to-God I have no clue what Jamila's talking about. Did I miss something?!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

OK, now I'm curious. I've seen this "innuendo" referenced in probably ten threads in the past few months and honest-to-God I have no clue what Jamila's talking about. Did I miss something?!

Excellent question. I wonder that too.
I don't think you missed anything real.

I'm really missing out something here...

also *grabs copy of Rolling Stone*
it says below the picture
"I've always had these melodies in my head. If I'm beside a piano, I put my finger on a key. I hear a thyme": In his New York Apartment with assistant Lucy Matthew.

so apparently they got it wrong..
sorry for the confusion caused!

kellyahern said:
Innuendo is a great Queen song, awesome guitar solo right in the middle. Come to think of it, that whole album is pretty good . . . except the song he wrote about his cat - that one, not so great :hmm:.

I'm going to see Queen tonight!

Jamila, I think it's great that you are so passionate and involved in helping fight poverty, and your respect for the band and their associates is obvious, but I have a problem with your arrogance and your condescending comments in this thread.

firstlove said:
Jamila, I think it's great that you are so passionate and involved in helping fight poverty, and your respect for the band and their associates is obvious, but I have a problem with your arrogance and your condescending comments in this thread.

OK I am going to jump in and say I feel this last statement was inappropriate. I don't feel anything Jamila has posted to be condescending or arrogant. Jamila is very intelligent and well read on issues that she happens to share with Bono. She does well bringing information to many of us here and on other boards to spread the news. There is nothing arrogant about that. Perhaps you feel inferior to her knowledge or are jealous of her activism and good will to feel you must post publicly that she is condescending (untrue) and arrogant (also untrue)? To you and to the others who seemingly enjoy jumping on the bandwagon to drag your ill feelings on and on about someone who means well and does well, get a life or find someone else to badger. Seriously, it really grows old quickly.

Carek1230 said:

OK I am going to jump in and say I feel this last statement was inappropriate. I don't feel anything Jamila has posted to be condescending or arrogant. Jamila is very intelligent and well read on issues that she happens to share with Bono. She does well bringing information to many of us here and on other boards to spread the news. There is nothing arrogant about that.

I think the problem was the following statement:

I have met all three of them (however briefly) and know what I am speaking about.

You can't possible know a person because you saw/read his speaches and stood outside of a hotel and waited to say hi and snap a picture.

I also admire Jamila's passion and commitment (I know she's been working on these issues for decades, before many of us were even born or knew what Africa was), she is very intelligent and 100% genuine, but I think sometimes the way she expresses herself really puts people off. And no, I'm not saying that because I'm jealous or feel inferior, because like Jamila, I've met Bono on more than one occasion (and by "met" I mean "had a conversation with", not a quick handshake or a picture from afar), heard him speak, and been to Africa to study development first-hand.

I have nothing against Jamila or her work because Lord knows the world needs more people like her, but it's frustrating that she never seems to acknowledge that some of her comments are very hurtful to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom