It looks like Bono won't be at the G8 summit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
from www.youtwo.net

June 27, 2002
From Jam!:

PM's efforts boosted by Bono
By MARIA McLINTOCK -- Sun Media

CALGARY -- It's a beautiful day, Jean.

Rock star Bono called Prime Minister Jean
Chretien on Tuesday to tell him to keep his chin
up about his Africa plan.

The lead singer of U2 called the PM from
Ireland and spent about 20 minutes talking
about Chretien's efforts to get other G-8
leaders to commit to an action plan to help
Africa.

"Bono thanked the prime minister for having
brought this to the summit, and kept it on the
agenda," a senior government official said
yesterday.

"He said there were going to be pressures to
diverge from the initiative, but he hoped that it
would continue."

There were reports that Bono would make an
appearance at the two-day summit, but there
were scheduling problems and he couldn't
make the trip.

Last October, Bono arrived in Ottawa looking
for a meeting with former finance minister Paul
Martin, and when he wasn't available, he met
for 90-minutes with Chretien at 24 Sussex.

Thanks for the report but I was hoping he'd show up. Maybe he was afraid some of you would make fun of his suit (j/k) :(

Well he's done his part by calling and the French Pres. will bring it up. I wonder was it a scheduling problem for Bono or them? I saw on the news it was in a very secluded and beautiful mountain area instead of a big city with lots of exposure. Due to last year's riots they wanted to avoid crowds and keep it low key. Maybe Bono would draw a crowd. Still I know he's done his best. I think he would've enjoyed the scenery of the place if he'd gone.

He's really been championing the cause in the past few months, with Chirac, Chetrien, O'Neill, Bush etc. And doing an unbelievable job. There wasn't much else he could do at the G8 anyway. It's not like there was going to be a BIG protest like there was last year where there was tons of publicity. Anyway, after last year's fiasco in Genoa, he probably wanted to be as far away as possible. I don't blame him! He doesn't have to be there to make a difference. I think he knows that.

It's summer time and he probably decided to relax and chill out in the South of France with his family.

At least I hope so!!!

I agree-he's done more than his fair share; he's worked *damn* hard on this stuff. I hope he's taking a breather in France, too!! It's up to Chretien to stick to his guns and up to us to keep up the heat on the politicos. If we don't support it it won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom