Is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladora

The Fly
I was just surfing around looking for Larry related stuffs when i came across this website, http://trampledindust.tripod.com/frame.html

I was reading these:

Larry, Morleigh and Bill Flanagan driving along the remains of the Berlin Wall:
We come to one of the sections of the Wall still standing and Larry says to stop the car. He gets out and tries chipping off a bit with a stone but comes up with only the smallest of fragments. He looks around and sees a big piece of the Wall, a pipe sticking out of a concrete chunk, lying nearby. He grabs it, hauls back, and with a mighty howl starts swinging his makeshift sledgehammer into the standing wall with a fury usually reserved for his tom-toms. It would be really easy for him to damage his drumming hands this way, but the adrenaline of freedom has Larry pumped up like Keith Moon in a Holiday Inn. He smashes his concrete club into the cement edifice again and again, shouting and laughing, sending big hunks of the Berlin Wall flying all over the sidewalk.
[U2 at the End of the World [Bill Flanagan](pg.250-251) (Thanks Courtney!)]

At Cologne Zoo TV:
While Bono was doing his solo opening of "One" tonight, Larry slipped into the vast underworld beneath the stage to stretch his legs. One of the crew took off his phone operator's headset and handed it to Larry, who put it on and listened in to the video directors talking to each other, calling shots, ordering close-ups, and generally making sure the giant tv screens were jumping. Larry dialed up Monica Caston, the live video director, and said in an American drawl, like one of the security crew, "Monica, ah don't like this shot of Bono."
Her flustered voice came back, "What do you mean you don't like it? What's wrong with it?"
"Ah dont know, ah jest don't like it. Why don't you change it?"
"Blow me!"
"Monica", Larry said, switching back to his own stern voice, "this is Larry." Her scream almost blew out a few headsets. Laughing, Larry slipped back behind his drums.
[U2 at the End of the World [Bill Flanagan](pg.245-246) (Thanks Courtney!)]

In the car Bono struggles to get the TV to switch channels, but it stays stuck on one of those half-hour self-help commercials. Finally, in exasperation, Bono says, "Edge, you're the scientist, can you get this thing to work?" Edge leans over and tries to change the station. Each time he does, it clicks back to the self-help ad. This is very strange. Edge gets down and fiddles the switches with the furrow-browed dedication of Louis Pasteur at his Bunsen burner, oblivious as Bono to the fact that Larry is sitting with a remote control by his leg, clicking the channel back each time Edge tries to change it.
[U2 at the End of the World [Bill Flanagan](pg.128) (Thanks Courtney!)]

Note from Edge to Larry, 1982. It said: "We have already gone to practice. Please follow us as soon as possible. We really need to rehearse!! Lots of love - Edge"
[Note is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (Thanks Ann!)]

Teasing interviewer: "Larry, the cute quiet one, have they put him in Sixteen magazine yet?"
While his bandmates laughed, the drummer looked aghast.
Larry(age19): "No, they never will!"
[Outside is America, U2 in the U.S. [Carter Alan](pg.33)]

"My earliest memory of Larry was when we were starting off. We were at our first rehearsal in his kitchen and all these girls kept climbing over the walls and looking in the window at Larry. Larry just shouted at them and told them to go away. And then turned the hose on them! Larry likes to play drums." -- Bono
[unknown source]

Larry observed: "The more press we get, the more difficult it becomes to be a human being in [America]. It's the price you pay, unfortunately."
[Outside is America, U2 in the U.S. [Carter Alan](pg.171)]

Edge turned to Larry and asked, "Any jokes, Lawrence?"
"No, Edge."
"You've got a drummer joke," Bono reminded Edge.
"Okay. What do you call a guy who hangs around with a pile of musicians? The answer is . . . a drummer!"
As everyone laughed, Bono urged, "Hey Lawrence, tell them your drummer joke."
"That's a bit mean, asking a drummer to tell a drummer joke," Larry replied, but he told the joke anyway. "Three guys are sittin' down having a rap and the first guy says, 'I'm a nuclear scientist and I have an IQ of 170'. The second guy says, 'I have an IQ of 140 - I'm a neurosurgeon.' The next guy says, 'I have an IQ of seventy.' The other two guys say . . . [You're a drummer!']."
[Outside is America, U2 in the U.S. [Carter Alan](pg.177)]

Did these things really happen? Especially the one about the TV and the lady blowing out a few headsets?

Thanks for any help given!

Well, I am not exactly sure how we can dispute that yes indeed they happened, or no they didnt but the source mentioned for some of those particular incidents is accurate...

U2 at the End of the World :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
I liked the one about Larry scaring the lady.

haha.

That books seems reputable (it's so awesome), so I'd say yes, true :up:

That quote about Sixteen magazine amused me, because I worked for a similar magazine for a while during the 80's. And if I had known then what I know now, I would have featured the entire band in the magazine every month!!!
"Larry Mullen Jr.: My Hates & Loves"
"Larry Mullen Jr.: My Favorite Things"
"Are You The Girl For Larry Mullen Jr.?"
That would have been fun, and maybe I would have met him when he visited the office to tell me to knock it off! :laugh:

Last edited:
Diane L said:
That quote about Sixteen magazine amused me, because I worked for a similar magazine for a while during the 80's. And if I had known then what I know now, I would have featured the entire band in the magazine every month!!!
That would have been fun, and maybe I would have met him when he visited the office to tell me to knock it off! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

too cute!

ladora said:
"Okay. What do you call a guy who hangs around with a pile of musicians? The answer is . . . a drummer!"
[/B]

Cracking up over here- the guy has an awesome sense of humour! He's SO weird. :laugh:

I bet those are true. But I'm gullible like that :wink:

They're all reputable sources, so I'd give them as much credence as anything I read.

ladora said:
"That's a bit mean, asking a drummer to tell a drummer joke," Larry replied, but he told the joke anyway. "Three guys are sittin' down having a rap and the first guy says, 'I'm a nuclear scientist and I have an IQ of 170'. The second guy says, 'I have an IQ of 140 - I'm a neurosurgeon.' The next guy says, 'I have an IQ of seventy.' The other two guys say . . . [You're a drummer!']."
[Outside is America, U2 in the U.S. [Carter Alan](pg.177)][/i]

I've heard that radio interview, and the punchline was actually "What sticks do you use?" :lol:

Diane L said:

Hmmmm...I smell some great PLEBA threads from this. You could still write it! It'd be hours of fun!

Loved reading the stories too - don't get to hear much about Larry being so funny. I have to keep reminding myself I'm a Bono girl but dang it, lately Larry has just been catching my eye!

Back
Top Bottom