Is it true that... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Is it true that...

Is it true that when Bono was 15, or around 15, he was angry and threw a kife towards his dad that flew right next to his head? What ¡s the story behind that?

Old 09-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:19 PM
i read that he was fighting with his older brother in the kitchen and threw a knife at him and the knife stuck in the wall. i think it was in the eamonn dunphy book or a maybe a rolling stone interview. cant remember

Old 09-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Refugee

Wow!! Thanks for the info Anyone else?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I thought it was from the Bono: in Conversation book.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Yeah he was fighting with Norman. I can't remember where I read it. Could it have been in the At The End Of The World book? Definately read it somewhere!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I know I read that, I think it was in "U2 The Unforgettable Fire' by Eamon Dunphy.

Anyway the story goes like this: After his mother passed away, Bono was given the job of buying the groceries and preparing meals for his father and older brother when they got home from work. But Bono would often squander the money or records, McDonald's,and things for his friends. This left him little money for groceries, so he bought a box of instant mashed potatoes called "Smash." He fed his father and brother nothing but "Smash" for a couple nights in a row, and Norman (the brother) got furious. He told Bono that if he came home from work tommorrow and found nothing but that crap for dinner again, he was going to kick his arse. Well, the next day, there was Smash for dinner again, and Norman, who got home before Bob, got so mad he tried to attack Bono. Bono walked over to the knife board and picked up a knife to ward off the attack. As Norman approached, Bono tossed the knife, and it missed. Norman picked it up to threaten Bono with, and Bono grabbed another. This went on into a knife fight, and Bob Hewson walked in and caught them!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
War Child

eeek! Doesn't sound good.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I know I read that, I think it was in "U2 The Unforgettable Fire' by Eamon Dunphy.

Anyway the story goes like this: After his mother passed away, Bono was given the job of buying the groceries and preparing meals for his father and older brother when they got home from work. But Bono would often squander the money or records, McDonald's,and things for his friends. This left him little money for groceries, so he bought a box of instant mashed potatoes called "Smash." He fed his father and brother nothing but "Smash" for a couple nights in a row, and Norman (the brother) got furious. He told Bono that if he came home from work tommorrow and found nothing but that crap for dinner again, he was going to kick his arse. Well, the next day, there was Smash for dinner again, and Norman, who got home before Bob, got so mad he tried to attack Bono. Bono walked over to the knife board and picked up a knife to ward off the attack. As Norman approached, Bono tossed the knife, and it missed. Norman picked it up to threaten Bono with, and Bono grabbed another. This went on into a knife fight, and Bob Hewson walked in and caught them!
But, remember, that book has been revealed as being highly exaggerated and inaccurate.

I searched inside Bono: In Conversation at Amazon.com and found this:

"He's a great man. My brother couldn't tell a lie. Back then he was trying his best. I remember once we had a big fight, and I threw a knife at him. [laughs] I didn't throw it to kill him; I just threw it to scare him. And it stuck into the door: boing... And he looked down at it, and I looked at it. And I realized: I didn't mean to, but I could have killed him. And I think both of us wept, and both of us admitted that we were just angry at each other becausewe didn't know how to grieve, you see... Because my mother was never mentioned."
Old 09-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Edited to say: Never mind. You beat me to it!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
Refugee

^ heheh

Hey thanks!! That was really helpful Again, it strucks me how hard it must have been for Bono and Norman to live through their mum's death

I must get a U2 book, I know they are interesting. U2 At Then End Of The World, I was thinking
Old 09-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 12:19 AM
Thanks Rachel

I was too lazy to look that up
Old 09-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VicksSs
^ heheh

Hey thanks!! That was really helpful Again, it strucks me how hard it must have been for Bono and Norman to live through their mum's death

I must get a U2 book, I know they are interesting. U2 At Then End Of The World, I was thinking
I have that one - and i love it!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VicksSs
^ heheh

The McCormick book also mentions incidents of Bono kicking over desks and storming out of classes at school. And possible thoughts of suicide.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:12 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel D.

But, remember, that book has been revealed as being highly exaggerated and inaccurate.

I searched inside Bono: In Conversation at Amazon.com and found this:

"He's a great man. My brother couldn't tell a lie. Back then he was trying his best. I remember once we had a big fight, and I threw a knife at him. [laughs] I didn't throw it to kill him; I just threw it to scare him. And it stuck into the door: boing... And he looked down at it, and I looked at it. And I realized: I didn't mean to, but I could have killed him. And I think both of us wept, and both of us admitted that we were just angry at each other becausewe didn't know how to grieve, you see... Because my mother was never mentioned."
If it had been all that inaccurate, I'm sure they would have sued. They sued Cashman. I don't see any reason why the Smash story I told could not have come before exactly what you posted. It was the same basic thing. And I think a story from Bob Hewson was the source. I love the UF book and really hate to see it get dismissed so much. There might be a few things wrong with it, but fans are really cheating themselves if they ignore it.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #15
War Child

Yes, young Bono certainly had some issues (all due to his mother's death, of course). All becomes very clear after you read "Bono: In conversation with". I was very sad after reading parts of that book.... the whole childhood thing and relationship with his dad.... it's sad that it had to be that way. But it blows my mind how strong Bono was.... It's amazing what has become of him - considering there was LOT of opportunity for things going in the oposite direction.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #16
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

If it had been all that inaccurate, I'm sure they would have sued. They sued Cashman. I don't see any reason why the Smash story I told could not have come before exactly what you posted. It was the same basic thing. And I think a story from Bob Hewson was the source. I love the UF book and really hate to see it get dismissed so much. There might be a few things wrong with it, but fans are really cheating themselves if they ignore it.
well, its well known there are inaccuracies (sp?) in that book, so youve got to be careful what to believe in it. i usually forget all the stuff i read in u2 books anyway.

so basically they had a bit of a thing and threw knives at each other.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's hard to imagine how Bono and his brother and of course, their father, how they coped after loosing their mother and I can well understand how things could easily get out of hand when they're all greiving and angry especially for Bob being left on his own with two sons to bring up. I mean, how do you cope with that?

I'm just so glad that Bono met Ali. Someone he could trust and hold on to. I sometimes wonder what his life would have been like without her. True, she must also count her blessings at meeting him, but I do wonder if at times he needed her more because he had no mother figure in his life.

...am I making sense here?

Ok, going now. Physchology question over...
Old 09-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BGD75
Yes, young Bono certainly had some issues (all due to his mother's death, of course). All becomes very clear after you read "Bono: In conversation with". I was very sad after reading parts of that book.... the whole childhood thing and relationship with his dad.... it's sad that it had to be that way. But it blows my mind how strong Bono was.... It's amazing what has become of him - considering there was LOT of opportunity for things going in the oposite direction.

Just read Conversations if you want the real stories. Dunphy's book is a good read, but I wouldn't bet my life, or even a $1 on it's infallible accuracy. Who is Dunphy anyway? And why would HE of all people know what happened between Bono, Bob and Norman?

I think the knife incident itself gets played up big time. I mean, who here hasn't had some fights w/ sibs? I can remember one time my brother kept trying to get into the cupboard to get something while I was using the cupboard handle for bagging my newspapers. He wouldn't stop after I asked him repeatedly to wait until I was finished with my job and finally I knocked the chair out from under him. Sure, he could've broken his neck and died, just like Bono could've really stabbed Norman, but no one died, they were both just petty scraps among siblings everyone either laughs about or has totally forgotten about.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by youvedonewhat
It's hard to imagine how Bono and his brother and of course, their father, how they coped after loosing their mother and I can well understand how things could easily get out of hand when they're all greiving and angry especially for Bob being left on his own with two sons to bring up. I mean, how do you cope with that?

I'm just so glad that Bono met Ali. Someone he could trust and hold on to. I sometimes wonder what his life would have been like without her. True, she must also count her blessings at meeting him, but I do wonder if at times he needed her more because he had no mother figure in his life.

...am I making sense here?

Making perfect sense, to me at least. If you think about it, what does he really have left w/o her? No kids then, no mother, never had a good relationship w/ his father, never was close to his brother... I'm not trying to say he's not a stong person in his own right, but I imagine he'd have somewhat of a volatile, self-destructive personality if left to his own devices, and by no fault of his own.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tootty86

I have that one - and i love it!
Ye, definitely getting it

Hey, thanks everyone, EVERYONE for your help, you are always so conversational... no wonder we love Bono

blueeyedgirl, I haven't heard about that, sure his teenage years were tough

youvedonewhat, it makes a lot of sense. I got the point and I agree

THAAANKS everyone again!!