Is Bono getting greedy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
After reading the clarence story...i got to thinking....has Bono become a hound for the pound? That is some "investment" at about £120M in the hotel. Obviously its to make more cash out of the business. Then there are the other business ventures he is involved in.

I would think something would have to be done about the business of owning the Clarence since according to reports, it has been in the red for some years now. Of course, what the hell do I know!

I would love to visit it if Iever get to Ireland.

If you call actually wanting to make a profit (any profit at all) being greedy then everyone who owns a business is greedy. As someone else stated the Clarence has been losing money for years. They bought it in the early 90's and I'm not sure if it has ever turned a profit. They remodeled when they first bought it and they may not have ever recouped that expense.

Dana

For starters Dublin is one of the most expensive places in Europe, Ireland is not a cheap place to visit, that said it makes sense that the hotel renovation would first off not be cheap no matter what changes were to be made. Bono is not the sole owner, so it is not the fact that he as an individual is being greedy. Assuming it is a formed corporation as ownership, it would be the corporation wanting to make a buck to split between its principals. Everybody wants to make a buck. The hotel is a business. It has been losing money, so perhaps this is their way of making up for lost revenues who knows. I just hate to see the quaint Clarence turn into a huge tourist trap or an ugly architectural monstrosity that would stick out like a sore thumb along the Liffey.

unico said:
gman you still owe me the $172 i loaned ya. who's greedy??? :tsk:

:laugh:

I would have thought for sure this thread would have been in EYKIW.

Carek1230 said:
For starters Dublin is one of the most expensive places in Europe, Ireland is not a cheap place to visit, that said it makes sense that the hotel renovation would first off not be cheap no matter what changes were to be made. Bono is not the sole owner, so it is not the fact that he as an individual is being greedy. Assuming it is a formed corporation as ownership, it would be the corporation wanting to make a buck to split between its principals. Everybody wants to make a buck. The hotel is a business. It has been losing money, so perhaps this is their way of making up for lost revenues who knows. I just hate to see the quaint Clarence turn into a huge tourist trap or an ugly architectural monstrosity that would stick out like a sore thumb along the Liffey.

The investor of the hotel initially put the interiors in on the cheap. Frankly, I was appauled at the uninspired furnishings. It just looked "common". One would expect more. It was losing money because in comparison to the the town's 3 and 4 star hotels; it was I'm sorry to say low rent - think "Holiday Inn". And frankly I don't expect much better with the renovation. They need to hire a real interior decorator instead relying on nepotism.

Oh, how DARE this bastard having even the slightest interest in the business side of things? Doesn't he know that as a musician you just have to be stupid and naive and let other people rip you off? Really, Bono, I'm disappointed. :tsk:

And let's not forget no one in U2 besides Bono has been making any money through all these years. He's the evil one.

DOL, your sig!!!!

:laugh:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

This thread would be hilarious if it were in EYKIW.

Damn you, DOL, your sig made me me laugh out loud!:madwife: And my class mates give me strange looks, well more strange looks than normally...:eeklaugh:

It's true, The Clarence has been in the red for a long time and when you have a business like a hotel, you're supposed to at least break even, so as you can give your staff a decent wage etc. I don't know if the proposed remodelling will improve things. The reason why Bono and Edge bought The Clarence in the first place was to save it from the wrecking ball. But like with Mother Records, maybe it's time to sell it off to someone who actually knows how to run a hotel proberly, and cut their loses?!? :shrug:

And yeah, why is it, that on a supposed U2 fan forum site we seem to be for ever defending Bono and U2? :grumpy:

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much Bono being greedy as it is he is interested in everything and especially he gets excited about new ideas. Come on, he really doesn't have to worry about money!

You know from my perspective as a huge fan of Bono and his good works, whenever I hear about his business endeavors or efforts to make money, I feel in my heart that he is going to use part if not most of that money to help the poor. IMO, I could be wrong, but come on, .... it's pretty clear that is his mission and frankly it's really none of our business.
If he also benefits a bit from profit or gain, than so be it....
He deserves it! Enjoy Bono, more blessings to you and yours.
:yes: :rockon:

Some people forget that - as well as everything else in his life - Bono has a large family. And wouldn't everyone want the very best future for their kids? And yes, I believe that most of the things Bono does are with his charities in mind.

And even if not... so what? People can complain until they are blue in the face about Bono "preaching" about giving money to poor countries and he doesn't give anything, yadda yadda.

My answer to that is threefold!!!

One. How the feck do YOU know how much he gives or doesn't give?

Two: What percentage of YOUR income do you give away?

Three: Mind your own business!!!

:tongue:

We don't know how much money Bono gives away, but we only recently heard about how U2 bought a house for a retired office worker to live in after her husband left her. What else have they done that we've never heard about? Ask in 100 years and we might have a better idea.

We do know that Bono gives a lot of his time (just ask his stewing bandmates. Where's that #%$& new album???) stalking the corridors of power for the benefit of the poor in Africa and South America. He started a business with his own money and got the well thing in Africa going. We're not talking cheap here.

The Clarence is owned by several people and they are all losing money when it doesn't (hasn't ever, apparently) turned a profit. Bono is looking out for others as well as himself.

And when any of us get a job, we expect a pay check to live on in exchange for our labor. Shame on us. <help, I need an icon here!>

I really don't understand why so many people who think so really bad about Bono take the time and effort to post in a U2 forum, he's constantly criticised about every aspect of his life: as a musician, as a singer, as a husband, as a humanitarian, as a businessman, because he's short, fat, bald, etc., etc.

I, personally, don't need this man to be perfect, I don't need him to be a saint (in fact, I think I will be quite disappointed if he turned out a "saint"), I don't, even, need to agree with his points of view everytime; of course I have a general great opinion about him as entertainer and humanitarian, that's why I'm a fan. We know he takes most of the "celebrity burden" of the band and that makes him to be more exposed to criticism than the rest, but just look at this thread: how many posts has it taken to be stated that Edge is also involved in the hotel buisness? has anybody attacked him as greedy? Frankly, this is getting ridiculous, do you imagine a Madonna fan, for example, acusing her of being greedy?

As for the Clarence Hotel, I love the Liffey bank as it is now and I understand why so many people are against the project, especially when I remember the magnificent copper terrace roof or the Octagon, I know the hotel needs a remodelling, but I wish it wouldn't include the exterior aspect of the buildings.

And finally on the subject of money only one question: who of us wouldn't like their business to make proffit? who of us would work for nothing? Bono does, he gives lots of his time and he makes great efforts for people who he doesn't know.

Last edited:
The Clarence is in the heart of Dublin's center and nightlife, with everything in walking distance.

Who would'nt want to invest and upgrade upon it?? I would.

^ I would, too. I can somehow relate to Bono. He's interested in development, in innovation, he's about making things happen.

And yes, there are other people involved in this project, Edge being only one of them. But only Bono is pointed out, because people like to bash a celebrity. It's the same with the U2 tower. It's been all over the news. Bono is building a tower, bla bla.

waynetravis said:
The Clarence is in the heart of Dublin's center and nightlife, with everything in walking distance.

Who would'nt want to invest and upgrade upon it?? I would.
:yes: exactly!
When I was there last fall, honestly, I wasn't that impressed with The Clarence.:reject: Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but not as impressive as I imagined. I loved having a pint in the Octagon Bar! My only complaint, no windows! It's nice and cozy though with wood panelled walls...
It's lovely, but it could use a spruce!

:rockon: yeaaaaah, let's show those detractors how much PLEBA loves him!!!!!!!!!

and, DOL, PLEBA loves you too (whoops :wink: ) :lol:

The Clarence is a nice hotel... the only trouble is, it's had a lot of different managers and staff in recent years, so it's been unsettled. A lot of the great people who work there, move on, so obviously something is missing in that the staff are not encouraged to stay.

The thing I will miss is the penthouse... that will change beyond recognition and it's a real shame. It is a stunning suite.

Change isn't always for the best, but it can often be good nevertheless. Let's hope that the owners (all of them) make the right decisions and don't take too much away from the old feel of the place.

Back
Top Bottom