Ipod battery life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mucca

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
How long is it suppose to last for?

Mine seems to be running out quite quickly...I almost used up all the batteries within a day and I didn't even leave it on for the whole time either....

I don't own one, but I was talking recently to someone who does and she said about a year and you have to send them back to the company to change it.

Not necessarily gospel, but that's what I heard.

I think it is supposed to last like 8 hours before you have to recharge, but I swear mine doesn't last that long.

Depends on how you use it - mine gives me a good eight hours if I just put it on and leave it run, but if you're switching the light on & off (that would use up a lot of juice), and rifling through menus all day, that uses it faster.

If it's significantly less though, I agree you should take it back to the shop & ask them to replace the battery.

Cheers ~Ultra

UltraVelvet said:
Depends on how you use it - mine gives me a good eight hours if I just put it on and leave it run, but if you're switching the light on & off (that would use up a lot of juice), and rifling through menus all day, that uses it faster.

Exactly.

I often use my iPod in the car, where I have a charger, or with my speakers, which charges it, so I usually don't have to worry about it dying. While in the backseat for a long car trip though, I finally got to see just how long it would last. With me using the backlight, having an equalizer on, fiddling through menus, playing games, and having everything on shuffle, it lasted between 4 and 5 hours. Not bad, considering all I was doing. My charger for the car was able to stretch from the cigarette lighter to the back eat though, so I was fine. :D

Last edited:
The booklet said it was supposed to be 12 and I usually get very close to that :shrug:

With the 4th generation iPods they are suppose to have a battery life of about 12 hours. The older versions have a battery life of about 8 hours. But, like it has been mentioned, the more you do to it, the less battery life you have.

I was thinking about buying an ipod shuffle yesterday... I was reading all about it and apparently when your ipod battery gets old and doesn't hold a charge so well they charge you $99 to replace it. Apparently they don't replace the battery, they replace the whole iPod.

I bought a samsung 1 gb mp3 player instead. Comparable price and it has lots of features the ipod shuffle doesn't (and takes 1 AA battery... it's supposed to last 42 hours under optimal conditions). Anyway, I like it a lot for the one day I've had it :D That whole ipod battery thing was the kicker for me.

See the thing with my battery is I walk to school with it(which is like 15 min) and then I would only use it for like 30 min at the most during some classes :wink: and then I'd listen to it on the walk home and already that drains half the batteries. I don't have the backlight on and i don't really fiddle with it....I don't think I'm turning it on and off that much either....Is the bar for the battery accurate?

Guess I'll take it back to the shop on the weekend or something

Last edited:
Mucca said:
See the thing with my battery is I walk to school with it(which is like 15 min) and then I would only use it for like 30 min at the most during some classes :wink: and then I'd listen to it on the walk home and already that drains half the batteries. I don't have the backlight on and i don't really fiddle with it....I don't think I'm turning it on and off that much either....Is the bar for the battery accurate?

Guess I'll take it back to the shop on the weekend or something

oops...haha pressed the wrong button :huh:

Kristie said:

I bought a samsung 1 gb mp3 player instead. Comparable price and it has lots of features the ipod shuffle doesn't (and takes 1 AA battery... it's supposed to last 42 hours under optimal conditions). Anyway, I like it a lot for the one day I've had it :D That whole ipod battery thing was the kicker for me.

How much was that? I want an mp3 player, but iPods at this moment just aren't worth the money just to say you've got a real iPod. Someone at work said to get a Rio....

Oh, the bar is nowhere near accurate, never mind that thing! You're good until it dies on you. It sits on 'empty' for ages.

Cheers ~Ultra

New iPods were just announced. More disk space and more than twice the battery life for the iPod minis (now 18 hours, not 8).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

How much was that? I want an mp3 player, but iPods at this moment just aren't worth the money just to say you've got a real iPod. Someone at work said to get a Rio....

it was $169.99 for 1gb
they had a SanDisk one for $150 that took a AAA and was about the same thing
of course, ones with less capacity are cheaper....

UltraVelvet said:
Oh, the bar is nowhere near accurate, never mind that thing! You're good until it dies on you. It sits on 'empty' for ages.

Cheers ~Ultra

lol Well that's good to hear then! :)

Back
Top Bottom