In What Period Did Each Guy Look The Best / Worst?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
Neither style nor subtlety has ever been U2's strong point, and image has never been one of the important things about them. But they have all -- except maybe Larry -- changed their own styles quite often, in addition to the natural process of aging.

This topic occurred to me earlier when I was looking at the sleeves for some Bootlegs from the Unforgettable Fire tour. In that 1984-1985 period, Adam Clayton suddenly looked really cool and (dare I say it?) sexy, completely transformed from his white-Afro early look; on the other hand, Edge was balding, Bono needed his hair ironed, and Larry looked.... like he always does.

So in which periods did each guy look his best/worst? My choices:

Bono: Best -- 1986-1987
Worst -- 1984-1985 (mullet + blond streaks)

Edge: Best -- 1992-1993
Worst -- 1981-1982 (dorky clothes, out-of-control hair)

Adam: Best -- 1984-1985
Worst -- 1970s in general

Larry: Best -- 1993 (I liked his 'stache and goatee)
Worst -- 2005 (that short-on-top, long-at-back thing was weird)

I remember a hilarious article from New York about U2's press conference at K-Mart to launch PopMart in 1997. The writer wrote (and I'm paraphrasing): "Bono enters, with hair shorn and a superhero shirt on with yellow glasses; The Edge has a cowboy hat, handlebar moustache and a cheesy T-shirt; Adam Clayton looks like character from a sci-fi movie with his colored hair, orange glasses and funky outfit; Larry Mullen looks... the same as he did in 1977."

Having read read the description of PLEBA and Everything You Know is Wrong, I concluded that my topic belongs exactly where I put it. I'm not asking anyone to post photos, just to share thoughts.

Here's an idea: rather than being a pointless critic, how about posting a response?

Here's an idea: how about not being so rude?

I'm just telling you a fact, nothing more. This will most likely get moved because you are talking about the APPEARANCE of the members of U2 and not the actual MUSIC.

phanan said:
Here's an idea: how about not being so rude?

I'm just telling you a fact, nothing more. This will most likely get moved because you are talking about the APPEARANCE of the members of U2 and not the actual MUSIC.

yes, and thank you... :up:

and buddy... this is also apart of the description that you phailed to mention: Talk all you want about Larry, The Edge, Bono, Adam, and Paul McGuinness

Last edited:
Bono's mullet commands this to be banished to PLEBA.

liveaid4.jpg

tpsreports2424 said:

As soon as I read the title I was thinking that..

I thought the exact same thing as well..actually, the second I read it, I had to look up to see if I was actually in PLEBA instead of EYKIW...

but to the OP...this topic will get much, MUCH more attention in PLEBA anyways, no worries...

Mrs. Garrison said:
PLEBA!

OMG did someone say PLEBA?

OMG THEY ARE ALL SO HAWT!!!!!!!!!

Lordy LORDY :swoons:

i wAnt LaRry & hIs meSh shiRt!!!

THUD

:lmao: it's funny cos it's true.

I think Edge and Adam are at their best now. Although baby Edge was very :cute:

Larry looked his best during Rattle & Hum. (that's also when I hit puberty so that could have something to do with it :shifty: )

Bono best at anytime.:love: too hard to choose between baby Bono with his pout and fluffy hair. Jt/R&hum Bono, long hair and sleeveless vests :mac: or POP Bono, clipped hair and nicely buffed up :combust: or now with his devilish charm and confidence that only an older man can have :macdevil:

hmmm. Is it hot in here... . . . . . . :wink:

I gotta admit I've never thought of any members of U2 as particularly good looking, so it's hard for me to pick a best or worst look. They have had soooo many tacky periods.... :D

On the subject of where this thread belongs -- the description of this section is: This is the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2. so to me the thread can easily fit here too. The word music is nowhere in that description and the bit about reactions and thoughts about U2 covers this thread.

Now if the sentence read: "This is the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2' music" or "This is the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2 except for anything to do with their looks" I could more easily see why people have their shorts in such a twist. As it is though you just seem kind of anal and a bit mean spirited. ;)

Bono: Best - leather works for him so Zoo TV or Elevation.
Worst: 1984-ish, clothes and the mullet

Edge: Best: last two tours-the casual rock star look works for him and those T-shirts are cool
Worst: Pop era (the clothes, the hat, the moustache)

Adam: Best - right now, grey hair and no glasses make him actually look younger
Worst: the huge blond afro era (War?)

Larry: Best - Zoo TV military look
Worst: none.

Last edited:
This is definitely a PLEBA topic, so I moved it.

Now, let's put that all behind us and just focus on the topic.

Adam: that period where he was orange? Not so much.

Best: Now. Yummy.

Bono: He always looks bad. But that's what makes him so cute. :lol:
Okay, okay...I'll be specific: that pimp look was just way, way too much. But it was funny.
Best: when he's dressed in clothes that match.

Edge: Uhm...er..ahh..That wierd headscarf thing he went through..not so much.
Best: Anytime he isn't wearing a hat.

Larry: He doesn't really have a /bad/ period - just when he was dressed in that fugly green bubble skirt.
Best: Anything. with a haircut.

It shall be so, IN PICTURE FORM! Or it was going to be...

Well, they arnt my favourite looks, seeing as it turns out I dont have pictures of them all when I like them, but I think its one of the few pics were they all look good at the same time, to me anyway. Ish. Well maybe just elevation in general.

U2ATYCLB2.jpg

Ok. Um, WORST has GOT to be that HORRIBLE photo which I will not even post. You know, that Passengers-era photo where they're dressed as chefs. *shudder* :no:

But the best..oh god...um..

fly.jpg

Yeaaah :drool:

Slopsy said:
Ok. Um, WORST has GOT to be that HORRIBLE photo which I will not even post. You know, that Passengers-era photo where they're dressed as chefs. *shudder* :no:
Oh come on, Edge's chest looks hot in that picture!

Okay, here's mine:

Best
Bono: Passengers/Pop (runner up era: Beautiful Day hair!)
Adam: October fro (runner up eras: Pop)
Edge: Pop (runner up era: Elevation)
Larry: Elevation (runner up era: Pop :shrug: )

Worst:
Bono: 1984-1985 mullet
Adam: Zooropa mohawk
Edge: JT hobo/LT pirate
Larry: Verigo greasemullet

U2 are ALL hotness ALL the time, baby. :wink:

Apart from that, I'd say:
-Bono
best: so hard to decide, but I'm gonna say ZooTV (though I LOVE baby Bono as well as Elevation and Vertigo - when he still had long hair :sad: )
worst: PopMart (short hair + fashion = :tsk: )
-Adam
best: either now or Unforgettable Fire era
worst: 70s
-Larry
best: ZooTV
worst: umm, Vertigo I guess, because of the strange slicked-back hairdo; otherwise he looks pretty much the same.
-Edge
best: either Zooropa or Elevation/now (whenever his facial hair is darker)
worst: late 70s/early 80s (before he grew into his head :giggle: )

Bono

Best: Beautiful day video
Worst: JT

Adam:

Best: Elevation tour
Worst: October fro

Edge

Best: Vertigo tour
Worst: JT ( Pirates of the Carribean look imo)

Larry

Best: Zoo tv
Worst: His KFC family bucket on the vertigo tour

I'm a guy, and straight at that so not so much into the hot or not side. In terms of when they looked the best, when I hear U2, what image of each comes to mind, I'll answer that way!

Bono:

Best:JT era
Worst:probably around 1985/86, end of UF. And 2007- he seems to have put on weight.

Edge:

Best:Elevation or Vertigo
Worst:early days w/o question, particularly October.

Adam:
Best:JT or Elevation
Worst:War, w/ the afro.

Larry
Best:JT w/o question. Last leg of Vertigo tour after he cut the hair.
Worst:2005/early 2006 Vertigo. The hair and mullet were out of character for him.

Best: Everything about Zoo T.V
Worst: Bono's F**king Mullet, Edge's hair in durning Lovetown, Adam post-Boy...and...

LARRY ALWAYS LOOKED GOOD

Back
Top Bottom