In the maze of her imagination - pt 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hiya all!

Disclaimer - fiction/fantasy/nonsense :wink:

Gioia had every intention of crying herself to sleep, but sleep eluded her. She lay awake, going over everything that had happened to her since the concert. Every scene, every emotion, every conversation played itself over and over in her mind. She tossed and turned herself into a dandy headache. Finally she got up, wrapped herself in a gauzy robe, and walked over to the terrace for some fresh air.

The room she had been deposited into was amazing. She was shocked at the luxury she was presented with. Picturing any fantasy movie in her mind, she fully expected to be tossed into the basement dungeon or a room in a tower. Instead she was led to an elegant suite of rooms that overlooked the ocean.

She now stood on the terrace, looking out at the breathtaking view. Dawn was just breaking and the sky was lightening with a myriad of colors. A slight breeze ruffled her hair. The sea was calm, the crests breaking listlessly against the rocks. The birds were beginning to chirp and the sweet innocent sound was starting to irritate her since her thoughts were so troubled.

She thought over everything that Bono had told her about Creide. No matter how she twisted the story around, she could not find a spot for herself in this scenario. Was she a mistake? If so, then why use the amulet as a catalyst for transporting them to this daydream? She couldn’t picture Bono picking up a necklace and slipping it over his head. Gioia knew the exact moment that they were transported here. It was the moment the necklace was around her neck. So she had to have had some purpose, right? It seemed as if Creide was surprised to see her. What about Fletcher? Was he surprised by her presence here?

Was this his doing?

She turned back into the room and looked at the very large canopied bed, covered with downy quilts and fluffy pillows. Sheer, pale blue fabric was wrapped around the rods high above the bed.

The room had high ceilings and plush rugs covered the stone floor. There was a small table and two chairs in the corner. A fireplace faced the bed, warming the room and cast soft shadows about the room.

In front of the fireplace sat a brass tub, still filled with clean water. Gioia had ignored the bath last night in the face of her overwhelming grief. Now she looked at it and wondered if she should bathe before facing the day. She had noticed that her backpack had been retrieved from the riverbank and brought into her. That abused piece of material kept her in touch with reality and for some odd reason, was very consoling. She was glad to have it with her.

Gioia peeled off the camisole and panties. Her cheeks warmed instantly, recalling the look on Bono’s face when she had appeared to him by the falls. If she lived to be one hundred, she would always remember the sensual, appreciative way Bono had looked at her.

She sighed. It seems that outfit was the only one she owned right now. Although her backpack was brought to her, she had noticed that her clothes were not.

She gingerly stepped into the water. It was cool but not frigid. The brass must’ve acted as insulation while the heat of the fireplace burning all night, kept the water at a tolerable temperature.

Sitting up in the tub, Gioia splashed her face with water. She squeezed a small amount of shower gel into her hand. Funny how she managed to make a travel sized bottle last so long. She was running low on everything; shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, and her razor had seen better days. She smiled thinking about Bono smiling in pleasure one morning when she showed him the razor and letting him know that he could borrow it. They had shared all her meager provisions, even toothpaste. Such a silly thing made her feel so close to him. And even after the bottles are emptied, she knew that she would keep them.

Gioia shampooed her hair and on impulse lathered the sweet smelling soap over her face, down to her neck and over her shoulders.

Someone had to have sensed that at this very moment, she was very indisposed. Therefore it made total sense that there would be a knock at her door.

She froze. She was soapy and she couldn’t open her eyes. She didn’t know what to do. What should she say??

The visitor must’ve thought she hesitated too long because the door started to open slowly.

“No don’t!” She managed quickly before ducking under the water to rinse herself.

She emerged sputtering, and wiped the water from her eyes as quickly as possible. She gasped when she saw Andrew Fletcher standing in the room. The look on his face told her that he was surprised to find her in the tub.

She folded her arms across her breasts and raised her knees up. The water was clear, unlike the time Bono had witnessed her in her bath. That wasn’t the only difference. Bono, being the gentleman that he was, had turned away instantly. Andrew stood there with a satisfied grin on his face.

“Get the f*ck out!!!”

Andrew shook his head and started to walk toward the tub.

“Stop! Don’t come any closer!” Gioia was getting frantic. She didn’t know how much of her was covered and he was still walking toward her. This was unreal!!! Twice she was caught in a bathtub. Dumped once into the river and captured while standing under a waterfall. Was there a theme??? She closed her eyes and rested her forehead on her knees.

“Gioia.”

She looked up. Andrew had pulled up a chair and he was sitting right beside the tub. This just wasn’t happening. Only in fairytales did frogs turn into handsome princes.

Well--that’s where she was, right? What did Bono call this place? A twisted, ass backwards, Grimm Brothers, f*cking fantasy.

She shook her head miserably. She didn’t know what he was about. He had seemed so nice. That is, as a frog. And last night he seemed good-natured and kind.

“Please don’t, Fletcher. Don’t hurt me." Her voice caught and she closed her eyes again. "I couldn’t bear it.”

Andrew sighed. “Gioia , look at me.” He said gently. She looked up at him again. He smiled despite the dejected look she gave him.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I promise you.”

“How do I know that?” She retorted angrily. “You knew all along that Creide wanted Bono. You pretended to be a friend, when you were anything but. You – you were responsible for my falling into the river, weren’t you?” Gioia balled her hands into fists. “I felt bad for you, you son of a bitch!”

Andrew considered her words. “Fair enough, I suppose. Creide did want Bono. I was assigned to make sure that he followed the instructions to her land. She had no idea that I was turned into a frog. That was due to a run in with a fairy.”

He paused.

“Er—a seduction gone bad. But that’s another story.”

That surprised Gioia . She almost chuckled at the discomfort in his voice.

“That aside, I was not at fault for your fall into the river. I didn’t know that was going to happen. I’m sorry that you were frightened so.”

Gioia took a deep breath. She wasn’t sure if she believed him. He had every reason to lie to her. If he needed her cooperation to help things go smoothly then why wouldn’t he tell her things she wanted to hear?

“So what now?” She asked. “What’s going to happen to us? I know that Creide wasn’t expecting me and she wasn’t happy knowing that I was still in the picture. Why is that, by the way? What will she do to me?”

Andrew shrugged and stood up. “You and Bono will be treated as guests, for now. She does have a purpose for Bono that I am not at liberty to explain to you. However, you are wearing the amulet of Leanan Sidhe, the necklace belonging to the goddess Aine. Although Creide used it to bring Bono here, she did not expect it to be brought into her kingdom.”

Gioia frowned. “Why would she think that? The Wareings gave us, me and Bono, instructions on how to return it to Aine?”

Andrew hesitated before answering. “You weren’t supposed to be here. She had the plans and instructions laid out for Bono alone. Not you.”

Gioia nodded. “That’s what I thought. I understand now.” She wasn’t meant to follow Bono into this land. She ruined well-laid plans by being here. And now that she was here, she was going to be removed.

Andrew started to pace the room. Gioia wanted out of the tub, but she doubted that he would turn around long enough for her to get out.

“No, you don’t understand.” He ran his hand through his hair. Gioia swallowed hard at that familiar movement, usually made by Bono.

“It’s so complicated. There’s no time now to explain it all to you, but I will. I promise you. But I will tell you this. Creide is not a vicious woman. She’s desperate. She was presented with an opportunity and she took it. You were caught in the middle. The amulet was only supposed to be picked up by Bono alone. A charm was placed on the amulet so that it would compel the person to take hold of it and keep it with them. He was supposed to stick it in his pocket or something similar. Or the amulet itself would’ve found its way to his pocket once he picked it up.”

Gioia was about to scoff at this when she remembered that she had only picked up the necklace and then next thing she knew, she was wearing it around her neck.

“Without the amulet around his neck, it would’ve been easy to take it from him without his knowing, and return it to Aine before she knew it was missing. But once worn, Aine is forewarned and she will be expected to exact her vengeance. In this case, on Creide---and myself. I don’t know which of the Fates stepped in and tossed you into the mix Gioia .”

To her surprise, Andrew bent down and caressed her cheek tenderly. Putting his hand behind her head, he leaned in and kissed her. He slanted his mouth across hers and deepened the kiss.

Gioia was shocked and pushed him away. Andrew stood up and smiled down at her. “I believe I need to thank the Fates.” He then started to walk out of the room. “Oh, by the way, I brought you a present.” He dropped a bundle on the bed, winked at her, and walked out of the room.

Gioia sat there for a moment, stunned by their exchange. She then cupped her hands to her mouth and let out a long muffled scream against her hands. That relieved a bit of her stress. She quickly got up and out of the tub.

Andrew was heading to the Great Hall for a bit of breakfast when a page stopped him to give the message that her Majesty wished to have a word with him in her receiving room. He groaned and switched directions to walk over to Creide’s private rooms in the secluded north wing of the palace.

He hesitated a moment before knocking. Creide’s maid answered the knock and motioned him to enter. Andrew moved into the room. The maid smiled shyly at him before leaving him alone to wait for the Queen.

“Hello Andrew.”

Andrew whirled around to find, not Creide, but another woman.

“Aisling!” Andrew was surprised to see her there. It wasn’t everyday that you are turned into a bullfrog by a beautiful fairy and then get a chance to see her again. “What are you doing here?”

She laughed. Her voice was musical and sweet. “I came here to see you, my love. We didn’t leave off on a happy note.” She walked over to him, her hips swaying provocatively. Andrew was instantly captivated. She was exquisite. Her honey blond hair fell in waves to her waist. She was wearing a filmy gown the color of lilacs and buttercup and her eyes were violet. She lifted herself up on tiptoe and kissed him.

“Ah ha.” She accused. “You’ve been kissing another haven’t you?” He stuttered while trying to deny it. “She’s not for you, Andrew. You know that. Stay away from her.”

Andrew went to wrap his arms around her waist when she disappeared into thin air.

“Good morning Andrew.”

Andrew jumped and turned around and found Creide standing there. He pulled himself together quickly. He bowed low to her.

“You sent for me, your Majesty?

Creide eyed him curiously for a moment. “Yes. I wanted your opinion on how to handle the girl with the amulet. She cannot stay here. We need to send her on her way. She can go on and return the necklace to Aine with no one the wiser. I cannot believe that we need to deal with this Andrew! I ordered you to take care of her and yet she is here.”

Andrew was annoyed. “In my defense, I thought her falling into the river would finish her. It looked like an accident and Aine would not be able to blame either of us.”

“Rubbish!” Creide scowled. “You didn’t factor in her lover jumping in to save her?”

Andrew pursed his lips. Why was he putting up with this? “Well, in that case, there is no way he will let her go off on her own. He will refuse you, if you don’t allow her to stay with him.”

Creide was silent. He was right. Bono would not cooperate if the girl were sent off on her own. What if he wasn’t told? Or, what if she uses the girl as an influence on him? She can’t make a mistake with this. She needed to be careful. “Leave me. I will see you in the Great Hall for the meal.”

Andrew bowed and left the room. He was furious at the put down from Creide. He had come to enjoy her company. He was also falling in love with her, despite his penchant for indiscretions.

He was being pulled in three different directions. He had been there for almost a year. He had won Creide’s favor with his ideas, his loyalty, and his company. She was never to know who he really was.

He was once a minion of Aine. But he had lost favor with the goddess. She had been attracted to Andrew and fully expected him to return her advances. He tried to refuse in a subtle way. He had almost succeeded when the goddess had overheard his sister, with whom he was very close, making innocent jokes to her friends of the goddess’ obsession with her brother. She was trying to impress a pretty maid on behalf of her smitten brother.

Aine made an example of her when she had sacrificed his beloved sister on final eve of her holiday. Andrew was devastated and had confronted Aine. She was vengeful and unreasonable, but she banished Andrew from her realm instead of killing him.

Andrew ran straight for Creide’s kingdom. Creide was Aine’s enemy. Until recently, Aine did not know that he was working toward releasing Creide from an enchantment that Aine placed upon her. So sure was she that the spell could never be lifted, that she never imagined that anyone would be so foolhardy as to attempt it. Once released, Andrew felt that his sweet, innocent, Brynn, would be avenged.

Creide was trapped within the boundaries of her land. To break the enchantment she must find a man to construct a poem for her. The judge would be her own heart. Unfortunately, she could not bring a man to her for this endeavor, nor could it be someone from her own kingdom. It seemed hopeless and impossible. Until Andrew met someone who knew a way, and strangely enough, wanted to help him. Aisling

Aisling was a fairy. She knew of a man. A man whose song lyrics seemed as poetry set to music. These lyrics could incite passion, sexual longing, devotion, inspiration, and all those emotions that made up the human heart. He would be the perfect person to release Creide from her enchantment.

Unfortunately, the only way to bring him to the land was to use Aine’s amulet of Leanan Sidhe. Andrew blanched but agreed. He told Aisling where it was hidden, and with her fairy prowess, she was able to retrieve it undetected. And it would’ve remained undetected until Gioia had slipped the necklace around her neck. Now Aine knew that the amulet was taken, and it wouldn’t take her long to figure out who exactly did the taking. What a mess!

Bono was exhausted. He hadn’t slept all night. His worry for Gioia had him nauseous. This morning a maid came into his room followed by three men, all carrying buckets of hot water. The maid laid out clothing for him on the bed. She was young and shy, and when Bono thanked her, she blushed and giggled.

He thoroughly enjoyed the bath. He let the heat soothe his aching muscles and his aching head. He missed Gioia ’s shower gel.

He tried not to think. It wasn’t easy. He had been thinking all night. It hadn’t helped him understand what was happening to them. He finally stopped and decided that he needed to wait to hear what Creide had to say this morning. He needed to hear what was being done to Gioia before his imagination got the better of him and drove him crazy.

He didn’t know what to make of Fletcher as a man. He judged his age to be about mid thirties. He was good looking and charming. And Bono knew he was attracted to Gioia . He knew the signs. Was he with her last night? The thought made his gut contract. He knew Gioia was not that type, but what was Fletcher capable of?

He had barely had time to dress, when he was being led out of his rooms. In the Great Hall he was led over to a table, where he was instructed to sit. The moment he was seated, servants brought him a platter filled with food.

Although nerves were waging war with his insides, Bono forced himself to eat. His eyes surveyed the room. There were many servants who brought the morning meal to the many guests. Most of the men present were Creide’s guards. And even though he was left alone, he could see that the guards were watching him closely. This was a very strange. Was he a guest or a prisoner?

A beautiful girl caught his eye suddenly. Her ethereal loveliness captivated him instantly. She seemed self-assured and started walking across the room with purpose. To his astonishment no one stopped her as she headed in his direction. No one stopped her and no one looked in her direction.

She sat down next to him and his breath caught. Her hair was the color was honey and was caught up in a riot of cascading curls and waves atop her head. Dainty flowers were intertwined through the tresses. Her eyes were a deep violet, very large against her sweet face and pale flawless skin.

Bono could not tell how old this girl was. She had a face of an angel and the body of a seductress. With difficulty, Bono focused on her face rather than her bosom that was daring to spill from her low décolletage.

“Hello Bono.” She said sweetly.

He was surprised that she knew who he was. But then again, maybe he shouldn’t be so shocked.

He nodded to her. “How do you know me miss?”

She laughed. Her musical chuckle seemed genuine and Bono relaxed immediately. She put her hand on his arm and he frowned as she began to run her fingers lightly down his arm to his hand. He was transfixed as she lifted his hand to hold it to her cheek.

“You are an incredibly sensual man, Bono.” She spoke almost in a whisper. She smiled. “Your eyes tell so much. So much emotion”

She took his hand and pressed it to her breast. “Don’t worry. I’m not trying to seduce you. But Creide will. Do her will quickly and leave this place with your lady.” She let go of his hand.

Bono did not understand the confusion of emotions going through him in the presence of this slip of a girl.

Suddenly a herald announced the arrival of her Majesty into the Great Hall. Bono stood and watched Creide walk to her place at a large table at the front of the room. For an instant he almost forgot the girl. He turned and found her gone. Poof, just like that.

Bono shook his head and chuckled to himself.

A moment later he spotted Gioia being led into the hall by a guard. He stood up to go to her when he caught Creide’s eyes narrow in disapproval. He decided not to be too hasty and he eyed Gioia critically.

She appeared to be unharmed. In fact, she looked beautiful this morning. She was wearing a pale yellow dress with long bell shaped sleeves. The low bodice was trimmed in blue ribbon, which matched the blue ribbon that corseted the front of the dress. A circlet of yellow flowers and blue ribbon adorned the chestnut waves of her hair.

Bono was relieved that she was well. He was even more relieved that she did not enter the hall this morning with Fletcher. He decided to ignore Creide’s look and went to her.

Gioia hadn’t noticed him yet. The room was so large, and she was half afraid she wouldn’t see him there. But when he stood up, she saw him instantly and her heart leapt to her throat.

He was wearing black pants, black boots, and a deep blue, loose fitting tunic. He sauntered over to her, taking long strides. Gioia hesitated a moment before she took off to close the space between them. She flew into his arms and hugged him with desperation. Bono held her close, burying his face in her neck.

“I thought I’d never see you again.” Gioia choked out. Bono nodded. She actually beat him to that statement, since he had been worried about the same thing.

Creide watched this with her lips pursed. She was angry with Andrew for bringing this girl into their midst. She was a distraction, a dangerous one, especially with that blasted amulet around her neck. Creide was concerned that at any moment Aine would appear. She waved a guard over to her.

He bowed low. “Yes, my lady?” He noticed where her gaze was focused. “Would you like me to separate them, Your Majesty?”

Creide chuckled. “No. Let them enjoy each other’s company this morning. After the meal, bring him to my chambers and take her to her own.”

Bono led Gioia over to one of the tables. He looked over at Creide and noticed that she was smiling at him. He wasn’t sure what that meant but she wasn’t stopping him from spending time with Gioia . He still didn’t know why they were there, but he was sure that for whatever reason, his presence there was important to her.

Gioia barely ate any breakfast. Bono was speaking to her in hush tones but there wasn’t much he could talk about since guards were standing close by. For some reason she didn’t tell him about the visit from Andrew this morning.

“Do you think it’s as you explained? That she wants you to write poetry?” She asked. It seemed to her that Creide wanted more than just poetry. She could barely take her eyes off of of him!!

Bono nodded. “It may be. She told me last night that she was going to talk to me this morning but as of right now she hasn’t said a word.” He sighed and grasped her hand. “Gioia . I can’t write poetry. I write songs. I’ve tried poetry and I’ve never been any good at it.”

Gioia scoffed at his modesty. “Of course you are! Look at the amazing songs you write."

He shook his head. “It’s not the same. I don’t know if I can do it!”

Gioia frowned at him. He was looking down and he was serious. He was seriously concerned!

“Good morning, Your Majesty”. Andrew kissed her hand in greeting.

Creide smiled up at his handsomeness. She sometimes wished that she were certain of his devotion to her. She would like nothing more than to have him as a lover. But until then, he was her servant.

He disappointed her by immediately asking where Gioia had been placed. Creide nodded in her direction. Andrew looked up and saw Gioia and Bono sitting together, very close, and holding hands.

A few moments later, Andrew was standing before them. Bono looked up and scowled at him.

“Fletcher.” He acknowledged.

Andrew smirked and ignored him. Instead he extended his hand to Gioia . “Come, my dear. I’ve come to take you back to your rooms.”

Gioia, not knowing what else to do stood up and took his hand. She looked back at Bono with worry. Bono stood up immediately and fixed Andrew with an angry glare. Andrew handed Gioia off to one of the guards who led her away from the pending fray.

Bono moved close to Andrew. “If you touch her, I will kill you. I promise you.”

Andrew took in the glint of determination in Bono’s eyes and was disturbed by it. He had no doubts that Bono meant what he said, and the idea unnerved him. But he had the upper hand here and he was resolute not to crack in the face of Bono’s mounting anger.

“Bono.” He ignored the fury registered on his face. “There is nothing you can do about this situation. And unless you please Creide, there not much hope for you.” He started to turn away. “One more thing. I wouldn’t worry about Gioia ’s welfare. If Creide casts her out, I will protect her and together, we will return the amulet to Aine’s fortress.”

With that he turned and walked away. He took Gioia ’s elbow and walked her out of the hall.

Toodles- back to work :sigh:

Awwwww the poor souls! :sad:

Fantastic writing!!!!! Well done sweetie!

This is a great story! :up: :up:

Be sure to let us all know when you publish your first novel, we'll all be in line to buy it! :D

Now to wait until tomorrow... :sad:

:heart: :bono: :heart:

You are something of a literary genius sweetie!!!:up:

I'd buy your book without a doubt! :yes:

This "story" is actually book length. :wink: [/B]

Book length huh... :shifty: (wonders how she can disguise the fact she is reading a story and not actually working) Yep, I'd have to buy it too!
:hyper: Hurry up tomorrow and get here already!!:drool:

Sweetie---I just have to say--I can't get that waterfall scene from the other part out of my head---the almost lovemaking--makes it more exciting. :heart: :bono:

Back
Top Bottom