IMPORTANT MARKET RESEARCH!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
OK ladies,

By now you have read about a dozen of my stories and you have a pretty good idea of what I do. Here is my question. A couple of years ago, I started my own personalized short story writing company, where I would write stories like these for people about ANYONE they liked.

If I had been charging for all these Pleba stories, I would have financed my whole U2 trip to Vegas right now!

Anyway, I have been thinking lately about how great it would be to work from home, and seeing your enthusiasm, thought maybe I might consider pursuing this. However, I want to poll the group to find out how realistic this is.

I would REALLY appreciate if you guys could answer the following questions, and please be brutally honest if you must, my whole livelihood is at stake:

1) Should I try to pursue personalized story writing professionally again? Or stick to my day job?

2) Do you think these would sell to the general female public? Especially teens?

3) How much do you think I could reasonably charge for them? By the story? The Page? The word?

4) If you were buying a story, would you prefer to buy it online, or have me send a beautiful parchment paper and ribbon story like I used to?

5) Any other comments/suggestions?

Thank you for your participation!
smile.gif

Mrs. Edge
Chair of Orgasmatron
Mistress of Smut

Have you ever submitted a story to 'true love' or 'teen romance' magazines? you could start there, make a name for yourself and then sell a book! I hope you pursue your dream of becoming a writer, you are good, best of luck!

I know NOTHING about writing as a career, etc.

but I'd say there'd definitely be a market!!

*just no N'SYNC or Backstreet Boys stories, I beg of you*

No boy bands allowed..Well, there goes most of the teen market!

GAAH! I know. I'd have to be well versed in boy band stuff. But you still haven't answered my questions. I need to know if there is a market out there for purchasing personalized stories, and if so, for how much? What would the market bear?

Pls. consider and let me know.

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 09-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
GAAH! I know. I'd have to be well versed in boy band stuff. But you still haven't answered my questions. I need to know if there is a market out there for purchasing personalized stories, and if so, for how much? What would the market bear?

Pls. consider and let me know.

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 09-26-2001).]

Maybe you could set up a web site and describe your stories and see what happens.

Just don't stop writing them here!

As for how much people would pay-I'm clueless. I didn't even know they existed until I saw yours.

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:

1) Should I try to pursue personalized story writing professionally again? Or stick to my day job?

I think that if the market is there and you have a secure opportunity then yes, go for it! But I would check out the market first- like U2Kitten suggested, getting into it rather than being w/o a job (although I don't think you would consider that).

2) Do you think these would sell to the general female public? Especially teens?

yes

3) How much do you think I could reasonably charge for them? By the story? The Page? The word?

this one is hard. Length of story? Maybe set a price for an average story length, then add $ for each additional page they want. By the word would be too pricey, and we have to remember the target audience won't have a lot of $ and would most likely have to get it from their parents.

4) If you were buying a story, would you prefer to buy it online, or have me send a beautiful parchment paper and ribbon story like I used to?
DEFINITELY the paper/ribbon route!

5) Any other comments/suggestions?

I would seriously go after this Jess. Contact the magazines or research agents? Gosh I know writing and getting published are two HUGE different things, the latter being NO easy task. There's always those stories that could be generic (for magazines, etc). Or choose-as-you-go kind of book. They can control their actions and the outcome of the story.

I don't know if it did- but I hope that helps a little!
smile.gif

olive

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 09-26-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom