Im obsessed with the british flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWho4Life

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Well no tonly the british flag but all british people! I love the accient! I wanna hang a british flag in my room! Um..... I dont know why I am tellin you all this cause you really dont care lol. But is there anybody else who is like this??? Not just with British but any countrly besides your own???

I used to be when I was younger (like middle school and early high school). I've always loved English, Scottish, and Welsh accents, but since moving here, the only one I notice now is Scottish. The other day I was in line to check out books in the library and a girl a few places in front of me was talking to someone and I thought, 'She has a weird accent....what part of England is that?? :confused:' Then I FINALLY realized it was an American accent.

You can have our flag- I hate seeing the union jack on the Aussie flag, I hate being reminded that Australian is still only a modern day colony of England.......but on a lighter side I just loooooooooooove British humour, they really do comedy very well and British music is pretty cool. I want to visit the UK one day, dont know if I could live there for too long, I think the weather would shit me off too much:|

Haha, I'm definitely interested in European stuff as of late. I've been listening to A LOT of music by European bands, most of which came out in the 80s, and most of whom are from Ireland, Scotland, or England and whatnot. I'm hoping to one day have the chance to go and visit that part of the world. And I, too, love the European accents. :yes:. It's even better if it's a cute guy who has one. ;).

Angela

:lol: Meeg!!

I was proud of myself for realizing a scottish accent last week when I was in england. next up is distinguishing between all the northern english accents i hear.

btw, I :heart: england. but i'm slightly biased of course :cute:

I was obsessed with it when I was your age too! I had an iron on t-shirt of one that said "The Who" in the middle! I know you'd love that now! I still think it's very cool:cool:

Kate1 said:
IM GLAD UR PROUD OF OUR NATION, I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY IT IS RACEST HOW DO THEY FIGURE?

I think it quite often is sometimes. I see lots of Asian students getting spit on as they walk down the street and have seen a lot of racist grafeti (how the hell do you spell that word??) and overheard racist comments. I even had people in one of my modules last term (in an MA course) say that black people were inheritantly less intelligant than white people. :huh::mad:

The UK IS a racist country. The Stephen Lawrence inquiry proved that even the police force here has institutionalised racism. It's a very sorry state of affairs, but one that we can only hope is improving

On a happier note, I am (in a weird kind of way) proud of being British. A lot of us ARE proud to be Brits - we just don't shout about it :laugh:

I love being from a country that not only can take the piss out of itself, but positively encourages it :up:

My niece wore a British flag t-shirt to school and kids accused her of wearing the Confederate flag (which will really get you accused of being a racist) Sad thing is, this is in a former Confederate state where you'd think everyone would know the difference.

BTW she wore the British flag because she likes British bands and her boyfriend is from England.

bammo2 said:

I love being from a country that not only can take the piss out of itself, but positively encourages it :up:

That is one thing I LOVE about the UK and I think the US could use a lot more of. :yes: In addition to:
1)free health care
2)creamy, less waxy chocolate :drool:
3)cheese and onion sandwich filler
4)more pedestrian-friendly cities (I love the whole high street/city centre concept) and better public transportation
5)music festivals :up:

All in all, I much prefer the UK to the US, but I don't think is one is better than the other....just different. Though I wish this country would catch on to a few things:
1)air conditioning
2)ice (and more than two tiny cubes per glass!)
3)free drink refills in restaurants ( :heart:Nando's:heart: )
4)window screens
5)brown sugar and cinnamon PopTarts

;)

(I just noticed that I spelled 'intellgent' wrong in my post earlier. :laugh: :der: )

OzAurora said:
You can have our flag- I hate seeing the union jack on the Aussie flag, I hate being reminded that Australian is still only a modern day colony of England.......but on a lighter side I just loooooooooooove British humour, they really do comedy very well and British music is pretty cool. I want to visit the UK one day, dont know if I could live there for too long, I think the weather would shit me off too much:|

The Butchers Apron is the more common name for that Flag.

oliveu2cm said:
:lol: Meeg!!

I was proud of myself for realizing a scottish accent last week when I was in england. next up is distinguishing between all the northern english accents i hear.

btw, I :heart: england. but i'm slightly biased of course :cute:

There are different accents in Scotland too.

You have Glaswegian, East Coast, Aberdeen and anywhere else for that matter but the Glasgow accent is the best of course.

Glaswegian in the USA

I went to T in the Park last year, and some of the Scottish accents were COMPLETELY indecipherable to my ears. :crazy: It was like a foreign language.

Vampira said:
I've seen shows where a Scottish guy was talking and they put up subtitles :huh:

I have to get my wife to translate for me sometimes.

I know when people don't understand me because they get this blank stare on their faces and stand there and nod their heads.

I love Irealnd :rollees: and Britain. :D

And I had this one hanging in my room once, poster-size. :drool:
2714f.jpg

(Bowie designed the jacket)

:sexywink:
earthling03.jpg

33%3A62%3C8323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D9%3B6%3D5%3B9%3DXROQDF%3E2323534%3A53294ot1lsi

Ive always loved this one of the who, but this pic isnt very good, I couldnt find a very good one TEAR* lol. But I LOVE it! Britishness!

TheWho4Life said:
33%3A62%3C8323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D9%3B6%3D5%3B9%3DXROQDF%3E2323534%3A53294ot1lsi

Ive always loved this one of the who, but this pic isnt very good, I couldnt find a very good one TEAR* lol. But I LOVE it! Britishness!

Im sorry but what is Britishness, I am from Scotland and I have never felt British.
When I think of Britain I think of Imperialism, Royal family, stiff upper lips, The Irish Famine when the Brits let the people die rather than help, The highland clearances, Tin Knickers Thatcher.

Rant over

Angry Celtic Scotsman.

Im sorry I dont know anything about that, I just love british. I dont quite know what "Britishness" is I just say it, sorry. I didnt mean for me liking the British to be a bad thing.

TheWho4Life said:
Im sorry I dont know anything about that, I just love british. I dont quite know what "Britishness" is I just say it, sorry. I didnt mean for me liking the British to be a bad thing.

Dont be sorry.

I know its about the music and accents for you.

Back
Top Bottom