I'm moving to Vermont...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonlit_Angel

Blue Crack Addict
In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de
A week from this coming weekend, my family will be heading out to live in Vermont. My dad got a job out there. We're going to be living very close to the Canadian border.

I'm really, really excited about moving there. I can't wait.

My dad's showed me pictures of the area...it looks absolutely gorgeous.

So, anyone here live in Vermont, or visited it? It'd be neat to hear about some of the cool things out there, recommendations of places to check out.

Angela

Wow, that's a big move for you, I'm glad you're excited about it! I've been to a lot of states, but not there yet. The pics I've seen are beautiful. The green mountains are so pretty. I've been to the ones like them in VA, WV and NC so I know how nice they are. I've also heard Vermont is very peaceful and nice. I hope you have a happy life there! Don't forget us! :wave:

martha said:
It snows there. :yikes:

That's perfectly okay with me.

Besides, while I loved living in Iowa, one thing that I won't miss about Iowa is being in Tornado Alley. Vermont can get tornadoes, but it's pretty rare.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
Wow, that's a big move for you, I'm glad you're excited about it! I've been to a lot of states, but not there yet.

Same here. The farthest out east I've gone is New York City.

It is definitely a big move...I really hate packing and stuff, but oh, well.

The pics I've seen are beautiful. The green mountains are so pretty. I've been to the ones like them in VA, WV and NC so I know how nice they are.

:yes:.

My dad's showed me pictures on various sites, and the area does look absolutely beautiful. It'll be neat.

I've also heard Vermont is very peaceful and nice.

Yeah, that's what my dad's said-he told me that the area we'll be living in, ever since the records started being kept back in the 1800s, hasn't had a recorded murder. He said that the guy from his new workplace that he's talked to says the worst people do there is slash someone's tires or something minor like that, but even that doesn't happen very often.

I'm also excited about all the neat things that'll be nearby. We'll be awfully close to Canada, and that'll be a neat visit, and we're not that far from New York City and Boston and other neat cities nearby. And the history of the area would be very fascinating.

The one thing I'll have to get used to-over there, people speak totally different than they do here. My Iowan accent's gonna sound so weird out there. I'll still be calling drinks "pop" while everyone else says "soda". And because of our being so close to Canada, we'll hear people speaking French, and I'll have no clue what they're saying, 'cause I don't know French. Things like that. So that'll be an interesting challenge.

I hope you have a happy life there!

Thanks. :).

Don't forget us! :wave:

Don't worry, I won't. :). I'll obviously be unable to come here during the time we're heading out there, and then even after we get there it may take a short time while we get our computer hooked back up and everything, but once we get that taken care of, I intend to keep coming right back here. :D. I'll be anxious to see what all took place here while I was gone anyway, so...

Angela

Oh crap, if you're from Iowa, you can handle snow! :wink:

I'm glad you're excited for the move! :yes: Sometimes I think about moving somewhere new, just for the change and the challenge. Problem is, though; I really like it where I am now!

Where in Iowa are you from? Do you know/live near Eep? (yeah, I know, Iowa is a big state, just checkin...)

You should go backpacking when you get to Vermont. :yes:

Maple syrup...there is lots and lots of that up there. :wink: My cousin lived up there for a while, he always brought us maple syrup and cheese. Why the cheese? I don't really know.

Okay! Tell us all about it when you get there! :wave: Have a fun trip out too! Road trips are always cool. :up:

I also heard in some parts of Vermont they have laws to keep things from getting too built up or commericialized, like one town forbid a Wal-Mart and a Burger King because they didn't want the urban sprawl to start taking over the country atmosphere. It's cool there's no crime there, of course somebody always pulls a prank like vandalism, but nothing dangerous. Where I live, it has gotten really built up, and more dangerous. So that's a good idea. I'm sure they have enough stores around anyway, and if you want buildup there is NYC and Boston! Because it's such a small state, it really isn't going to be far to get to all those interesting places around you, the cities, Canada, Maine, Cape Cod, wow. You're in for a big adventure. You're really lucky! :)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Where in Iowa are you from? Do you know/live near Eep? (yeah, I know, Iowa is a big state, just checkin...)

I do live close to Eep-about two hours away from her, in northwestern Iowa.

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
You should go backpacking when you get to Vermont. :yes:

*Note to self: suggest this idea to family.

Originally posted by DML
Maple syrup...there is lots and lots of that up there.

So I've heard. :). I'm moving from a state known for its corn to a state known for maple syrup. Interesting.

Angela

U2Kitten said:
Okay! Tell us all about it when you get there! :wave: Have a fun trip out too! Road trips are always cool. :up:

Thanks. I certainly will let you all know how it's going out there when I move.

I love road trips, so yeah, that's definitely gonna be another fun part of the whole thing. We're taking about three days to get there, 'cause we'll need to stay overnight in certain places (totally different from my trip to New York, we didn't stop somewhere for the night, the bus drivers took various shifts, and it took us 22 hours, perhaps a little more, to get there). But it'll be worth the three days. I told my sister, since she's never been on a trip this long, to bring a lot of things to do with her, 'cause she's not looking forward to the very long ride.

I also heard in some parts of Vermont they have laws to keep things from getting too built up or commericialized, like one town forbid a Wal-Mart and a Burger King because they didn't want the urban sprawl to start taking over the country atmosphere.

Really? My dad was telling me that there's not tons of store and restaurant chains out there, I didn't realize that was the reason why.

Interesting.

At least we'll get some of the neat little, lesser-known shops and restaurants to check out. That'll be neat.

It's cool there's no crime there, of course somebody always pulls a prank like vandalism, but nothing dangerous. Where I live, it has gotten really built up, and more dangerous. So that's a good idea.

Yeah, that's definitely a plus. That sucks about your area as far as crime goes.

I'm sure they have enough stores around anyway, and if you want buildup there is NYC and Boston! Because it's such a small state, it really isn't going to be far to get to all those interesting places around you, the cities, Canada, Maine, Cape Cod, wow. You're in for a big adventure. You're really lucky! :)

Exactly. So many places we can go, and they're only a few hours' drive. The Canadian border's not even 5 miles away from where we're gonna live, and they've probably got lots of neat places to go as far as shopping and other things along that line (I'll have to get used to comparing Canadian and American money, though...another adjustment).

That, and the fact that lots of concerts come to the northeastern U.S. So anytime my favorite bands come through that area...

Also, New York City's only 7 hours away, and U2 tends to visit that city quite often...:D.

Originally posted by martha
Oh crap, if you're from Iowa, you can handle snow!

LOL, yeah, that won't be much of a change for me. They do get a lot more snow than we do, though-over here we average a little over 2 feet in the winter, over there it's over 9 feet. Bit of a difference there.

Originally posted by martha
I'm glad you're excited for the move! :yes: Sometimes I think about moving somewhere new, just for the change and the challenge. Problem is, though; I really like it where I am now!

Yeah, this'll be a good move for me, I think. And hey, I want to be a writer, and there's lots of opportunities for that out there-most writers live in that area of the country. Another cool thing. :).

Your thing says you live in southern California-I've been to that area, 'cause my aunt and uncle lived there at one time, and my family went and visited them for a couple of weeks a few years ago. It is a nice area, I can see why you're happy living there. California's a beautiful state.

Angela

Last edited:
Vermont is beautiful - it's probably very similar to Iowa. I've never been to Iowa, but I picture it a certain way, I guess :wink:

The winters will be the toughest thing to get used to, but somehow you'll manage-and the other seasons should make up for it :)

Ben and Jerry's factory :drool: also don't forget the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory :cute: and the Shelburne Museum. Burlington VT is a cool place. The Trapp Family Lodge too - owned by the family from the Sound Of Music.

Good luck w/ your move :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
Vermont is beautiful - it's probably very similar to Iowa. I've never been to Iowa, but I picture it a certain way, I guess :wink:

Well, there's a few more mountainous areas nearby and stuff-Iowa's basically flat, with a few hills here and there. Out there, we'll be driving through little villages (all the towns there are really close together), and drives won't seem that long. Out here, a drive seems a lot longer 'cause it's just cornfield after cornfield, for the most part. :).

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The winters will be the toughest thing to get used to, but somehow you'll manage-and the other seasons should make up for it :)

Oh, I love winter anyway-that's my favorite season, so I don't think I'll have a problem adjusting to their winters, other than the fact I'll just have to get used to seeing a lot more snow.

And it'll be nice to have spring roll around and not deal with the constant threat of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. That'll be wonderful.

Ben and Jerry's factory :drool: also don't forget the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory :cute: and the Shelburne Museum. Burlington VT is a cool place. The Trapp Family Lodge too - owned by the family from the Sound Of Music.

Oh, really? Cool.

I've never had Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I'll have to remember to visit that place and try some.

And I'll check out those other places, too.

Good luck w/ your move :)

Thanks. :D.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom