Illuminate - September in New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
TYhanks for all the feedback! Suddenly this story is reborn out of the ashes.

Once again, total fiction based on sort of real events. All celebrities have nothing to do with me and are just puppets of an over-active mind. It jumps around a bit, so let me know if it gets confusing.

As Abby stepped out of the yellow taxi, she felt her pocket hum. Leaning in through the passenger window, she handed the driver a $20 dollar bill.

“Keep the change,” she said absentmindedly as she reached for her phone.

His eyes widen at the rather large tip for a $10 fare. “Thanks…”

Abby looked at her phone. It was Jake. “Hello? Yeah, I’m just going into the office now…..That’s right, you’re in town…” She pushed through the heavy revolving doors. “Lunch? Yeah, I can do that. Just meet at the office, I have some faxes to send and papers to drop to legal. Okay, see you then.” She searched for the Off button. Sometimes her new phone/pocket PC/media player perplexed her. For as much as she loved new technology, it took her some time getting acclimated to it.

The office was buzzing with activity as walked through the smoky glass doors. It was awards season in the entertainment world. In a few days time, she would be back in Hollywood guiding an Oscar nominee through the paparazzi infested red carpet. Unless Andrew wanted her to cover the Independent Spirit Awards. Today, she was to catch up paperwork and send more faxes and emails than Homeland Security in preparation for the busy weeks ahead.

She smiled at the receptionist. “Is Andrew here yet?”

The girl smiled. “He was here before me this morning…”

“That can only mean more work for me….” Abby sighed. She handed a folder to the girl. “Can you send these to legal?”

Abby waved to some of the assistants as she plopped down behind her desk. Though she had cleared it last night of outstanding paperwork, more seemed to have appeared overnight magically. She opened her email; wondering if maybe today she would get an email. Even though he hated computers and technology, she had hoped she might receive something. Her heart sank as she saw 123 new messages. Half of them were spam and the other half were work related.

“Hiya,” Andrew’s head popped around the corner. “How are you this morning?”

She rested her head sleepily on her hand. “You’re pretty chipper for someone who was here before the cleaning crew.”

A wide smile spread across his face. “It’s awards season.”

Abby sighed. “I know. I need to stock up on caffeine to get me through the next few weeks.” She eyed an envelope in his hand. “More work for me?”

“No…I finally got pictures back from the New York signing,” he dropped it on her desk.

Abby’s mouth went dry. “New York signing?”

“Yeah…with the guys…U2?” Clearly he was working her too hard.

“Oh right,” she frowned. “That was awhile ago…”

She pulled the photos out of the sleeve. Directly on top was Abby and the band. She was nestled between Edge and Larry. Her eye sparkled with anticipation. She flipped to the next photo. It was just the band looking expectantly at the throng of fans waiting to be let near their heroes.

“Came out good, didn’t they?” Andrew asked. “I have a video conference. I’ll get them later.”

Abby was glad to be left alone to look through the pictures. The next few were of the band and fans. She stopped and stared at one. She was seated behind the table next to Larry. His arm was draped casually on the back of her chair. They were both looking up at Edge who was talking to them from in front of the table. They looked very comfortable together. The next one was of the same scene moments later. Larry and Abby were smiling at one another. She felt a stab in her chest. She was so full hope. Things were going so well.

The New York signing left everyone exhilarated and exhausted at the same time. Andrew and Paul had arranged for a cocktail party afterwards in small bar of a Central Park Hotel. The New York air hung on to the late September warmth through the early evening. The wine and beer flowed as Bono held center court in the cozy bar. Edge was in deep conversation with Andrew’s wife; Lydia about Macs vs. PCs. Adam had left the party, but promised he would be back. He muttered something about a gift Suzi as he left.
Abby slid off her barstool and wandered to the patio for some fresh air.

The stone patio was several stories above Central Park offering an amazing view of the surrounding buildings towering around it. Paper lanterns in hues of gold and red gave the patio an ethereal glow. Abby froze as her eyes caught Larry’s figure leaning on his elbows against the ledge. He seemed deep in thought with his neck craning to the sky. She held her breath and watched him. Smoke trailed from his mouth as he exhaled. Slowly, she turned to go back into the bar.

“Hey,” he said over his shoulder.

“Sorry, I didn’t think anyone was out here. I just wanted some fresh air,” she said apologetically.

He grinned. “There’s enough for both of us.”

“Not with you smoking…” she smirked in return.

He stubbed his cigarette out under his platform shoe. “There. No pollution.”

Abby walked over to him. “One day, I’ll get you stop.”

Larry shook his head. “I’m not the singer…it’s doesn’t matter if my voice goes to shite.”

“Just everything else will. I find it amazing for a man that works out as hard as you do that you smoke…”she mused leaning on the ledge beside him.

He nodded. “I know. It’s a dirty habit I’ve yet to kick.” He took a sip of his beer. “So, I heard you’re joining us for final leg of the Vertigo Tour.”

“It would appear that I am. It’s Bono and Andrew’s wish….”The air suddenly cooled with Larry’s voice. There was a long pause. “Is that okay with you?”

Inside, Larry was shaking. His mind thought of what two months alone with her and without Ann could do him. Things were so easy with Abby. He felt himself give in to his daydreams. It felt good standing beside her as the sounds of the city drifted up from the street.

He turned to her. “Of course it’s okay with me. You know I like having you around.” He cursed himself. He was saying too much. She was standing very close to him. Did he move towards her? A few more inches would be dangerous and wonderful. He stared out over the city.” I have to remind myself to focus on my family and not let myself be distracted.”

She nodded slowly. A burning pit of hot acid seared her stomach.

Slowly, he drank her in with his eyes. “Even if it would be amazing.”

Her cheeks flushed. He could be referring to many things, but her mind chose the dirty ones. She sighed. “What exactly are you trying to say?”

He ran a hand over his forehead. “I don’t know.”

She stared at him pointedly. “I think you do. You don’t deal in abstracts. I’d accept this from Bono, but not you.”

She wasn’t going easy on him. It was his fault for opening up Pandora’s Box.

“We just have to be very careful that our friendship and fun doesn’t…,” he searched for the right words.

“Go Carnival?” she offered.

His heart dropped. Her tone was heavy and full of longing.

“Yes,” he answered softly. “Something like that.”

“I wasn’t expecting anything like that, Larry,” she said sternly.

She thought of going on a tirade about not being a home-wrecker. Secretly, she had hoped for a progression of things. Maybe spending time with her again would awaken those feelings. The light side of her didn’t want him to break up his family to be with her. It would be a disaster for everyone involved. The darker side wanted all of him – every last drop.

“I’m s-s-orry,” he stammered. For a moment, he did think of chucking it all just to taste her lips again.

She laughed uneasily. “We just shouldn’t get wrecked around each other.”

Shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans, he shifted his weight uncomfortably. “Probably not. I think we’re free of any carnivals on this leg.”

Their strained laughter rang through the chilly night air. Inside the bar, Andrew and Bono attempted a duet. The song was barely recognizable.

Larry shuddered. “It got chilly out here. Wanna go in and get another drink? A coke?”

“I’m going to hang here and check my messages,” she shook her head.

“Okay,” he paused to look at her before slipping back inside the bar.

Abby fought the urge to cry. The worst thing about it, she wasn’t sure why she felt so awful. He was never going to leave Ann. It’s not like she sat around for the last eight months waiting for him. She had gone on dates. Hell, she was receiving flirty text messages from the hottest guy in entertainment! However, she always held out hope that somehow it would all work out. After tonight, she knew they would never cross the line.

“Abby?” a voice started her.

“Huh?” she looked up from the photos on her desk into Jake’s blue eyes.

“You were lost to the world,” he grinned lopsidedly.

She shook the cobwebs from her mind. “Award season always drains me.”

He plopped into the leather seat opposite of her. “Try being up for one.”

She cocked her head. “Yeah, they just don’t give them out for best manager or publicist.”

“Maggie would disagree. She always goes on about how great you are,” he said. “So much that I should hire you.” He leaned over the desk to plant a small kiss on her lips.

She smiled up at him. “But then I couldn’t date you.”

Back
Top Bottom