Illuminate part three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Sorry, this is kind of a short and an unfinished scene. I have written bits to be aired at a later date. As I'm getting married in a few weeks, there might be long pauses between updates. I hope you are enjoying this lilttle ditty. As per usual, this is work of fiction.

Suddenly, Larry couldn't wait to see her. Edge and Adam hovered around the doorway chatting. He pushed past them to peer inside. More staff with laminates around their necks milled about the employee lounge. He scanned the large room. Abigail was perched on a couch with an organizer balancing on her left knee. Her hair was much lighter than it was in March. Her blonde curls bounced around her shoulders as she nodded to what the woman seated across from her said. And it looked as if she lost weight. It was hard to tell with her folded into the couch, but her legs seemed more toned than usual. His eyes ran the length of legs to her thigh where her skirt fell like a curtain against the couch. The air rushed out of his lungs and was replaced by a stabbing pain. She was stunning.

Bono burst into the room like a gale force wind. In his wake, he left chattering and shaking Waterstones workers. Abigail knew they were here. Only one person could cause that much uproar. She followed the PR woman's gaze. Her eyes didn't find Bono. They immediately met Larry's silvery gaze. Time and sound suspended. He cut his hair, thank the Lord. She saw his cheeks pink. How could a man his age be so adorable?

The moment was over before she could process that he stood before her. Edge and Adam followed behind Bono. The PR lady scrambled to her feet to accept his handshake. His arms were meant to collect Abigail, but he didn't miss a beat.

“It’s so wonderful that you’ve come here to do this,” she said breathlessly.

“Bono, it’s a true pleasure to met you,” his hands swallowed her jittery hand as he winked at Abigail.

“This is Jemima,” Abigail introduced the star-struck woman.

While she rattled on about how much she loved U2 and Bono’s work with world poverty, Abigail was gathered by Edge in a big bear hug. God, she missed him. They shared a love for geek technology. Most of the last tour, they spent in the back of the plane comparing the latest PDA or mp3 player. They could talk computer and gadgets for hours. No one else had a clue what language they were talking.

“Look at you,” he held her away from him. “Are you eating?”

Abigail laughed. “Yes, I just eat better and I exercise a ridiculous amount.”

“You look great,” he said.

Her cheeks warmed. She could the feel the weight of Larry’s stare from the doorway.

“How’s Morleigh and the kids?” she concentrated on keeping eye-contact with Edge.

He beamed. “They are doing very well, thank you. They’ve been asking for their Aunt Abby.”

“I wish we had more time in Dublin. Or are they in LA?” she asked.

From behind, Bono grabbed her around the waist and squeezed her until the all the air had left her lungs.

“Scabby Abby,” he called as he hugged her.

She sighed. “I hate it when you call me that.” Being back in the fold was like being surrounded by four silly, teasing older brothers. Well, at least three. She knew she would have to speak to Larry. And her first words couldn’t be - why the hell didn’t you at least call me?

Andrew walked by. “This is why you are here.”

Her eyes turned to Larry. His stone face softened as he met her gaze. A warm smile spread across his face.

“You cut your hair,” she smiled. “Oh thank god.”

He nodded sheepishly. “Yeah, it was pretty awful towards the end. And Jaysus, was it a pain to deal with.”

“How are you?” she heard a softness seep into her voice and hoped that no one else could hear it.

“I’m grand,” he wrapped his arms her waist to hug her. She smelled fresh like the ocean first thing in the morning. Her arms slid around his neck. She was worried that this embrace might be too intimate.

Playfully, she rubbed the back of his buzzed head. A chill ran up his spine and he shivered a bit.

“This suits you better,” she nodded with authority.

Before Abigail exploded, she stepped to Adam. She asked him about Suzie and wedding plans. He answered, but she could only see his lips. Her ears – everything – was buzzing from touching Larry. Even if it was just a hug. She had forgotten what he felt like.

Clearing her head, Abigail took control of the signing. She made certain that they had coffees or waters or whatever they required to make them happy. After they met with the staff, they were ushered to a press area for photos and questions from journalists. Meanwhile, the ardent fans were getting restless. The show was already running late. While Andrew took control of the journalists and worked with Paul for dinner and travel arrangements, Abigail handled the band. She kept them in coffee, water and happy thoughts. As the fan count reached 175, Larry was tiring. It was her job to keep him fresh and in good spirits.

After the first few minutes of awkwardness, they fell back into their usual banter. They were both dry and didn’t take lip from anyone – especially each other. With Bono, she was like a babysitter. She made sure that fans didn’t get his motor mouth started. When the book store staff attempted to move fans along to soon, Abigail stepped in on their behalf. This was a once in a lifetime experience. She certainly wasn’t going to let a pimple faced security force deprive them of their moment to declare love or thanks.

Back
Top Bottom