I still know there was something I had to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristie said:
:yikes:

do you have anywhere to go tomorrow or can you stay home?

I was going to have to walk to school and back for a meeting at 10am, but I got Melissa's car keys before she fell asleep. Luckily the only work I'm doing tomorrow is TA stuff, which I download and score from the comforts of my own queen size, pillow top, heating blanket bed :drool:

Kristie said:

Can any of you think of a cool paper topic on Egyptian Religion for me? My professor informed us on Thursday that grad students have to write a 20 page paper and he wants a proposal by Tuesday. I'm a little grumpy about this.

I've always found it intriguing how the pharohs would generally adopt god-like status... you could explore some of the pharohs and how being religiously worshipped impacted their reign

I've also always been intrigued by the presence and power of women in Egyptian religion (i.e. Isis...) and how these women were viewed within the religion.

Just my thoughts :)

ooh I like the women thing

because I'm a bra-burning femininst and all :wink:

this is just really hard for me because I don't know anything about ancient egypt at ALL except for the little bit that we've learned so far... so like, I could explore the prominence of female deities as compared to the role of women in society, but I know nothing about women in society.

It'd really help if I could discuss this with my professor, but no! My proposal's due Tuesday!
maybe fortune will smile upon me and his or the TA has office hours on monday... I'll have to look.

How about that one pharaoh (Ahknaten, I think) made everyone change to monotheism? And how that may have had more influence on Old Testament Christianity than most Western Christians would ever admit to?

As for Isis, I believe her character is almost the same as Ishtar, one of the gods from the Babylonian creation narratives. I'm not sure which is older or how exactly they may have influenced each other, but the Babylonian narratives are older than the Christian ones so again, these older "pagan" religions often had an amazing amount of influence on Christianity.

oh that's a good one too!
I actually know a little bit about Akhenaton.

and I've always been a bit fascinated with pagan influences on Christinaity

you guys are helpful!
thanks!
:hug:

Kristie said:
and I've always been a bit fascinated with pagan influences on Christinaity

:yes: Much of the Old Testament is merely narratives that are interpretations of pagan narratives to which the "Christian" authors have added Christian themes. For example, I think you have to be dumb and blind to think that the Noah's Ark story is unique and not obviously based on the Epic of Gilgamesh. Also, I'm a firm believer that a lot of the stories never happened in the first place. Fortunately, I don't believe in the inerrancy (only the infallability) of the Bible.

And I think ancient Egypt is cool :nerd:

Question for Kim: it is expensive to live where you are? My mom won't get off my back because west Michigan is one of the cheapest places to live in the US and she's convinced a move will be too expensive for us. The other night, I googled for apartments near Fort Myers and the first link I clicked had lovely places in a complex with a pool and the works, rent starting at $544 with a deposit of $544. That's pretty much what we'd pay around here. :shrug: I feel like if I save for a deposit and first month's rent and Phil saves for moving costs (plane tickets? car rental and trailer?) it shouldn't be a big deal.

the nice thing about everywhere being more expensive than western michigan (and northern indiana...) is that people there also pay you more...

just don't move to connecticut if you want to keep your money.
Richest state in the union + poor girl from the midwest = very poor girl in new england.

Kristie said:
the nice thing about everywhere being more expensive than western michigan (and northern indiana...) is that people there also pay you more...

just don't move to connecticut if you want to keep your money.
Richest state in the union + poor girl from the midwest = very poor girl in new england.

heh, I already had a job offer (sort of) marketing for Save The Children, but I'd have to live in this posh town in CT, and my mom said she heard several people had to leave their jobs b/c everyone there was obsessed with money (like they're all execs and brokers that work in NYC but live in CT). I said no thanks. That, and moving there would defeat the whole purpose of escaping the winter for good.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Question for Kim: it is expensive to live where you are? My mom won't get off my back because west Michigan is one of the cheapest places to live in the US and she's convinced a move will be too expensive for us. The other night, I googled for apartments near Fort Myers and the first link I clicked had lovely places in a complex with a pool and the works, rent starting at $544 with a deposit of $544. That's pretty much what we'd pay around here. :shrug: I feel like if I save for a deposit and first month's rent and Phil saves for moving costs (plane tickets? car rental and trailer?) it shouldn't be a big deal.

Yay for me not checking this thread for awhile :|

You can find fairly reasonable places to live down here. You can also find outrageously expensive places to live :) If you're willing to commute a little bit, you can generally find someplace within your price range. I live at home, so I don't pay rent to a "landlord" per say (though I do pay rent to my mom, lol!). My bro pays about $600/month for a one bedroom. And a friend of mine at work just got a new apartment (one bedroom, I think) for $880/month.

And there are quite a few jobs open in all areas of the company I work for :D (http://miva.submit4jobs.com/)

indiana has spoiled me
I'm used to thinking $500/month for a one-bedroom is reasonable

guess what?
the new song I have to dance to is called... get ready... "Rock el Casbah"

and oh yes, it is what you think it is

:shrug: why not? I've taken courses in advertising, marketing, and comm, I'm a detail person, and this is entry level, so....

http://miva.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83017.viewjobdetail&CID=83017&JID=14610

*revises resume*

wooo!

I would also recommend Campaign Manager (http://miva.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83017.viewjobdetail&CID=83017&JID=21720) and Account Manager (http://miva.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83017.viewjobdetail&CID=83017&JID=20885)

Account Manager is my title... it's been a great job, so far... going on ONE YEAR I'll have been there... :)

Not that you MUST, but if you do apply at MIVA (which would rock so much)... make sure you mention me as your referral. I'll recommend you highly! :)

hippy said:

wooo!

I would also recommend Campaign Manager (http://miva.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83017.viewjobdetail&CID=83017&JID=21720) and Account Manager (http://miva.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83017.viewjobdetail&CID=83017&JID=20885)

Account Manager is my title... it's been a great job, so far... going on ONE YEAR I'll have been there... :)

Not that you MUST, but if you do apply at MIVA (which would rock so much)... make sure you mention me as your referral. I'll recommend you highly! :)

I sent in the form since it was more filling things out so I didn't have to attach a real resume. I selected "ALL" for position, asked for $15,000, preferrably full time, and said YES to relocated (DUH!!!!). I don't know your last name, so I just put "Kim" :reject:

So what exactly is this place, lol? I suppose I should figure it out on the off chance that they call....

I sent in the form since it was more filling things out so I didn't have to attach a real resume. I selected "ALL" for position, asked for $15,000, preferrably full time, and said YES to relocated (DUH!!!!). I don't know your last name, so I just put "Kim" :reject:

So what exactly is this place, lol? I suppose I should figure it out on the off chance that they call....

:lol: They will probably call :)

MIVA is an internet marketing company. Basically, do you know how you see the "Sponsored Links" when you search on Google? MIVA does the same type of thing... except we're not a "brand" like Google and Yahoo. We sort of the silent partner that fills in other people's search engines with our listings. As an Account Manager, I work directly with about 200 of the highest spending accounts in the company... I keep them happy, answer questions, and make suggestions about how we can improve their online advertising campaigns... it's quite a good job... very self-directed and a good work environment. Plus, it's a nice job in the fact that I have to leave it at the office... everything is done on the internal system, so I CAN'T take it home even if I wanted to :)

Anyway, http://www.MIVA.com and you can explore some... (there's an "About MIVA" link at the top with more company info)

/plug for my job

:D

hippy said:

:lol: They will probably call :)

MIVA is an internet marketing company. Basically, do you know how you see the "Sponsored Links" when you search on Google? MIVA does the same type of thing... except we're not a "brand" like Google and Yahoo. We sort of the silent partner that fills in other people's search engines with our listings. As an Account Manager, I work directly with about 200 of the highest spending accounts in the company... I keep them happy, answer questions, and make suggestions about how we can improve their online advertising campaigns... it's quite a good job... very self-directed and a good work environment. Plus, it's a nice job in the fact that I have to leave it at the office... everything is done on the internal system, so I CAN'T take it home even if I wanted to :)

Anyway, http://www.MIVA.com and you can explore some... (there's an "About MIVA" link at the top with more company info)

/plug for my job

:D

Honestly, I think this could be a blessing in disguise because I never would've thought to look at this type of company, but my degree will be Business Communications (I prefer doing stuff like business writing for marketing or public relations) and I also do web design on the side and for my internship. Feel free to put in a good word for me! One of us will really have to be guaranteed a job between now and September in order to make this move work....

:lol: You're right, Kim, someone named Pam tried to call this morning but I wasn't there so we've been e-mailing...

my mommy got a visit from the CIA!
I'm not sure if I can tell you why.
I mean, I can tell you why, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you why on a public message board where anyone can read it.
But it's a good thing actually, it has to do with my brother advancing at his job. They might come see me too. I'm excited!

kellyahern said:
Kristie's brother knows people . . . *must be extra nice to Kristie* :shifty: :wave:

:lol:
he doesn't know people YET... apparently he's an industry leading expert at whatever he does, and he was telling us about giving a talk in DC about it... when he was done and everyone was going to discuss it they made him go sit out in the car because he didn't have a high enough security clearance.

Kristie said:

:lol:
he doesn't know people YET... apparently he's an industry leading expert at whatever he does, and he was telling us about giving a talk in DC about it... when he was done and everyone was going to discuss it they made him go sit out in the car because he didn't have a high enough security clearance.

go Neil!

that rocks, twin! tell him congrats from me...

and I love that you don't know what industry he's a leading expert in :tongue:

it is pretty funny
we just say he draws cartoons for the government

did I tell that story? about my grandma?
yeah

on another note, I got H's on all my tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom