I need my rock and roll!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow Motion

The Fly
Alright, I need some help. I have this roommate that is a very nice girl, and we get along ok, but I think that's because I accomodate for her comfort. She is a non-denominational Christian and I am Catholic, also Christian, though she doesn't seem to think so, but that's not really the issue here (more of a Free Your Mind topic) but all she listens to is Christian music. Some of it is ok with me, but the thing is, I'm a rock and roll fan!!! Whenever she walks in the room when I'm jamming out to the sweet tunes, she has this look on her face, and I feel obligated to turn it off, after which she immediately walks over to the stereo to turn her music on.
But I can't keep doing this!!! Rock and roll is in my blood!!! I need it!! My uncle was in Elvis's very first band and has shown me clubs and such in Memphis where they used to play!! My dad opened for Little Richard, Ray Charles, James Brown and the like!! I mean, it's in my blood!!! (Even though I don't have a dime's worth of talent!) But the thing is, I don't feel comfortable around her when it comes to our music!!
And all I have up in my room right now is a signed pic of Bono that a friend gave me (only 8 1/2 by 11) and the calendar. I brought up a bunch of posters from the tour, and pictures too, and I was all set to put them up, when she commented on my "U2 shrine." All I have up is two things!!! It's not even close to the shrine that I long to have!!
So anyway, what do you think I should do? She's not the sort of person that I can talk to about this stuff. I was told two nights ago by a friend of hers that "Heaven's not the direction" I'm headed, and I know that she believes the same way. Um, that's flat out something I'm not comfortable with. But should I switch roommates next semester? Or keep trying to compromise?? Please help me on this one!!
Love,
SloMo

P.S. Sorry this was so long, I just needed to vent.

I don't GET the whole thing of ppl who are like "rock n roll is the devil's music!"....like in that movie on VH1 about Jerry Lee Lewis (DENNIS QUAID!!) or Creed's BTM. And Scott Stapp's father, Mr. Stapp, was like "LA LA LA the devil."

I guess it depends. But I DON'T BUY IT. Unless the music is really bad like Linkin Park or it's like "I WANNA KILL SOME PEOPLE!!! AND EAT THEIR GUTS!!! AND..." well you get the idea.

Um.....What was the question?

Well, make this person listen to U2. And Bruce Springsteen. And Jackson Browne. And the Ramones. And Zepplin.....

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"This DEFINATELY needs a disclaimer before the post! Women, small children, & Mona may die!" ~Fishy~

"I still believe that you're the Smut Messiah"

The Man Corral

How about you tell her that rock'n'roll is very important to you, and explain how it is something that you really enjoy? I think if you leave perhaps a few of the more religious songs playing on your stereo ("40", lots of stuff from October, Peace On Earth, When I Look At The World, et cetera -- you can think of more I'm sure) she'll probably pay attention. I don't know. It might work if you tell her U2 is a bit religious, and perhaps play a few songs, she might calm down a bit.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Yeah, I've mentioned that U2 is a religious band, but because their CDs are not under the Christian category, I think she refuses to listen...

Quotes? Photos? (You know how much Bono wears his rosary and his cross..) Songs? Magazine interviews? That's all I can think of.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by Slow Motion:
Yeah, I've mentioned that U2 is a religious band, but because their CDs are not under the Christian category, I think she refuses to listen...

Labeling music doesn't always help....maybe have her read some of the lyrics to the more faith-oriented songs.

And even if they're not about God specifically, I think most U2 songs are about believing in SOMETHING. God, love, hope, other people. That should count for something. It does to ME.

Achtung Baby - save my soul.

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"This DEFINATELY needs a disclaimer before the post! Women, small children, & Mona may die!" ~Fishy~

"I still believe that you're the Smut Messiah"

The Man Corral

No Lilly, no she doesn't.
biggrin.gif
Haha, j/k!

Dude- Argh... I really don't see why you need to convince her in the first place! I mean, YOU like it, YOU know what the music's all about... so why do you have to cater to her needs? I personally think that she is stifling you. STIFLING!! That's why you shouldn't room w/ her next year.
biggrin.gif

Oh and
rolleyes.gif
at the shrine thing.

------------------
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light

She was afraid of this man, all decked out in leather, wearing sunglasses during the day...sunglasses to hide his bloodshot, drug-addled eyes, she was sure. -Beebs

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

Why do you have to be the only one to compromise? Does she turn her music off when you walk in the room? Tell her it works both ways sister! I mean if you were blasting out something really offensive I could see her point but U2? I understand you're trying keep the peace but why should you give up something you love to make her happy?

Reminds me of David and how irreverant he must have seemed feed his men holy bread on the Sabbath and dancing nekkid for god. (And hey, judging from his statue, he was a hottie.) Or of Jesus, for that matter, healing on the Sabbath and challenging the Pharasies. Your post really touched me because I feel like I've been in a simliar position. I'm a former fan of Amy Grant (some really nice early super-religious stuff but a lot of really fluffy pop shite too). Love DC Talk and Jars of Clay. Every once in a while a friend will play Newsboys or Audio Adrenaline song for me that is great. But the Christian music business has all the same problems the secular one does--success is valued over quality. So much of Christian music is so safe and generic! So I consider my faith precious to me, but at the same time, give me music that is real and honest and passionate.

The problem is, a lot of rock does NOT agree with Christian values. It's about casual sex and excess and etc etc and people have died because of it. (Moment of silence for Janis.) But...that's not ALL rock. And heck, sometimes its just fun to crank up. But there is some rock that really does grapple with hard questions about life-- faith, mortality, morality, love, sex, friendship, loss, pain, fear. Christians deal with all of those. So I don't see the problem. I can't find the specific reference for you, but Paul said somewhere in Romans not to declare dirty something God had called clean (talking about meat and keeping kosher in context.)

Have her listen to U2's 40 and tell her it's directly from Psalm 40. Or have her listen to Geoff Moore's "Why Should the Devil Have all the Good Music." You might like the first line: Well I believe Jesus has saved my soul, but I still like to listen to the radio.
wink.gif

Sorry for the length, this really is a pet issue of mine....

Cheryl

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Sorry for the second post so soon but I just re-read yours and I have some more to add.

Why would you even consider rooming with her again? One of the reasons we leave home to go to school is to gain independence from our parents. Do you really want to live with someone who acts like she's your mother? You should be able to listen to your music and decorate your living area any way you want. And NO ONE has the right to tell you where you are and are not headed. Get away from her!!!!!

Originally posted by Slow Motion:
(Even though I don't have a dime's worth of talent!)

Have you a nickle's worth?
biggrin.gif

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

This really bothers me. It's a bad rap, and it's not fair. People have read some pretty ridiculous stuff that isn't there into songs and tried to brainwash kids into thinking it's evil. Just remember- it's not God, it's just some people with some biased and twisted opinions. Don't let it spoil your fun. It's a real shame and I hope it will stop. There is a lot of good in rock, look at U2!

Okay I must rant now- I get tired of the people who claim someone killed a person because of a song, or a movie, or d & d or something. IF they did, they were crazy and would have done it anyway. Consider all the millions of rock fans who have never killed anyone! Also, some people have killed and claimed God told them to do it! Of course he didn't just like the bands and movies and games didn't, it was the warped mind of the person. You can't blame the songs. I even think stuff like Marilyn Manson is a joke and no one really takes it seriously. Pete Townshend said, 'if they were going to do it, they'd do it, whether or not some shithead with a guitar told him to.'

One more thing- even if a song is about bad things, not just murder but even just excesses in sex and drugs and stuff, it doesn't mean everyone is going to act it out! I mean, I have listened to lots of lyrics that I didn't go out and do what the songs said! Most of the time I never even noticed a song as being 'bad' unless someone told me it was supposed to be. I only liked to listen to the song. I think most people do.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-10-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom