I knew there was something I had to do... Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flah, high speed internet. i live in the booneys where its not even an option. thankfully my hunny has it at his house and i invade for my daily pleba dose! :wink:
but hes leaving on the 20th for college so bye bye fast loading bono pics:madspit: :sad:

:hug: :hug: :hug: high speed internet :hug: :hug: :hug:

my parents have dial-up, it drives me crazy when I'm at home. My brother refers to it as the pokeynet. Heh. You'd think he wasn't 24.

'Nother Random Question:

Last semester I took Intercultural Communication, and we had to do this case study about polygyny - read it, write a two page "reaction/what you would do" thing.

This semester in my Anthro class I have the same case study due - same handout, same instructions, same everything (my Intercultural Communication Prof unsurreptitiously [yes, I looked up how to spell that] stole it from my Anthro prof).

Now, the question is this: is it plagiarism if I hand in the same paper? I know it's considered plagiarism if I were to say, hand in the same term paper for two classes, but like...this is the exact same thing - I can write it again, but it's going to be pretty much the same thing since my opinion hasn't changed.

Of course I probably could have just written it again in the time I've spent pondering this. :D

Ultraviolet Light said:
'Nother Random Question:

Last semester I took Intercultural Communication, and we had to do this case study about polygyny - read it, write a two page "reaction/what you would do" thing.

This semester in my Anthro class I have the same case study due - same handout, same instructions, same everything (my Intercultural Communication Prof unsurreptitiously [yes, I looked up how to spell that] stole it from my Anthro prof).

Now, the question is this: is it plagiarism if I hand in the same paper? I know it's considered plagiarism if I were to say, hand in the same term paper for two classes, but like...this is the exact same thing - I can write it again, but it's going to be pretty much the same thing since my opinion hasn't changed.

Of course I probably could have just written it again in the time I've spent pondering this. :D

:hmm:

If it's the exact same thing, then I don't see a problem with it. Maybe re-read the original paper you wrote, just to see if you'd like to change anything or add anything.

In my freshman year of college, I had to write a paper about the Iliad for a humanities class. Which was easy, because I still had the paper I wrote in high school about the Iliad. It wasn't the exact same thing, but I based my college paper on a lot of what I had written in my high school paper, worked out pretty well too :lol:

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, I've had some overlap with high school and college classes. Even some with 2 college classes overlapping each other - Philosophy for core and Political Philosophy (which was great because there would have been WAY too much reading otherwise), and Social Science Statistics and Political Research Methods (which is less good and more repetitively boring, but oh well).

I think I'll probably re-write the paper for the most part, but use the original as a basis. Plus now I have the notes from the discussion in the first class, so sweet deal. :up:

*edit: I took so long to type this I missed your post Kim: yeah, they know eachother (they're in the same department), but the thing is the ICC prof is on sabbatical this year (the other thing is that you CAN hand in the same paper for two classes if you have the permission of both instructors, and I obviously can't get his permission). And I think the Anthro prof knows the ICC prof has used this case study - hopefully if I re-write it I'll be okay, since I assume I can't be penalized for having taken the other class (unless they're like "nooo! go to another department, damn you!"). There's another case study-type thing we're doing in this class that we did in the other class too, so actually maybe he doesn't know the other prof has been using his stuff....:hmm:

Last edited:
Ultraviolet Light said:

ask your professor?

Kristie said:
my parents have dial-up, it drives me crazy when I'm at home. My brother refers to it as the pokeynet. Heh. You'd think he wasn't 24. [/B]

We call it snailband. Because really, it so is...

*dreams of the day when she can afford high speed internet*

Kristie said:
ask your professor?

Yeeeah, but it's due tomorrow. Woohoo procrastination!

I'm almost done writing it again - it didn't take long, considering I already had all the information so I didn't need to go searching for it or anything.

mmm, procrastination...

so, has anyone ever sat down at their desk with their half a can of pop, only to realize in a moment that you can't distinguish which one you just brought with you from the other half-empty to empty cans already on your desk? So you sit there and slightly jiggle them all to see which one fizzes?

yeah, I need to clean

*Points to the Birthdays thingy* It's Gina's Birthday!

Happy Birthday Gina! Cause you'll...see...this...yeah! :D :dance:

So I'm TA-ing for 3 sections of a class that everyone has to take (a computer class in which the first week consists of "this is how to turn your computer on, next week we learn how to check e-mail!" - herein to be referred to as RIT [Research and Information Technology]), so it's mostly freshmen since it's taken in conjunction with English 101. Anyway, no one really needed to know that, but now you do. ANYway, I'm in the lab now ("supervising" and helping students that come in who need help), and there are 2 computer science majors here and ONE person actually in the class. So uh, how 'bout that getting paid to look at Interference?
Actually, maybe this is a bad idea since the Computer Science nerds know how to find what I've done online...uhh....yeah... *runs*

*edit - oh yeah, and the one person here actually taking RIT isn't even in my Professor's class. Ha. Okay, so that's only funny to me. :tongue:

Last edited:
man, I'd kill myself if I had that class

Here's my thought of the day: Don't you make a doctor's appointment so you don't have to wait for an hour and a half before seeing the doctor?

You'd think, but NO! In fact, you make a doctor's appointment so you can sit in a waiting room for hours on end and catch something from the other people there, thus giving the doctor more to charge you for diagnosing!

I hate going to the doctor. [/brilliant observation]

I've learned that when going to my primary care physician, my appointment time is just an estimate :mad:

I took the senior citizens from the rec center on a field trip today to the greyhound racing track. Before the races started we saw some of the dogs being weighed and they had their names written on the muzzles. One of the dogs was named "Party Girl" :up:

I'd have to agree on that one.

I found a sewing needle today! It's exciting, I promise. It's a hundred year old sewing needle... my professor's been talking about finding sewing needles since we started this and I found it a little ironic that we never did. It was in a bag of random unidentifiable metal.
you care, I know.

1. Hey Iris :wave:
2. I got another job, hooray for that.
3. My Anthro Prof today was like "wow, how did you know that?" about my paper... :shifty:
I was like "yeeeah, I already did this in another class" and he was like "oh, I thought you were smart!" and I was like "nope, I just took notes the first time." But he didn't really care, so that's good.
And then I said like a few more times!
like like like like like like like like like like like

An article in the Omaha World-Herald today says that some construction workers found jars of mercury at a site they were working on, and, obviously never having taken chemistry, took it home and played with it.

Now, once someone figured out it kills you, they called proper authorities and they showed up to clean up the house. According to the article, here's what's involved in cleaning up a mercury-infested house:

Those who came into contact with the mercury underwent medical exams, and officials started cleaning up the substance.

Todd Baber, Harrison County (Iowa) Emergency Management coordinator, said they tore off the deck of the Iowa home and sealed concrete around the home.

They also tore out the carpeting and raised the home's heat, which causes mercury to vaporize, said Randy Schademann, an on-scene coordinator with the EPA. An exhaust fan sends the vapors outside.

Tell me if you see something SERIOUSLY WRONG about this.

here's a link to the article, in case you're just that curious:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1642&u_sid=1204803

Is the seriously wrong part the part where the exhaust fan sends the vapors outside? Cause like, I don't know my science, but that sounds like it'd not be a good thing and whatnot. Good job EPA. :up:

*edit*
I love that there's a quote in that article that says "I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday."

Last edited:
hehe, I laughed at the turnip truck thing
and yes, the vapors thing... I mean, if mercury is a liquid at room temperature, and you heat it up and blow it outside, it's just going to cool off be a liquid outside.

Maybe they have some kinda cooling chamber to catch it and just didn't mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom