I knew there was something I had to do.....Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:

:hug:

I always have to look away from needles :yikes:

I'm going to reply to all the posts that I have something to say to seperately today.

I don't have a problem with needles, as long as I can watch. Doctors always try to get me to look away. They don't get it. Well, except when they put an IV in the back of my hand and couldn't find the vein, that was highly unpleasant. I looked away after the first couple minutes then.

Though I imagine the needle for an epidural is scary. :yikes:

Ultraviolet Light said:
They do that here, I'm like "Dude. You guys are almost all Protestant. Stop it."

Also, Kristie, have you ever had Professor Fenggang Yang?

Fortunately, my roommate didn't go to mass today. She realized she hasn't really been catholic for years now and that she was only considering going because she felt obligated. I was glad.

Fenggang Yang? I don't think so, but that's an awesome name. What does he or she teach?

Kristie said:

I'm going to reply to all the posts that I have something to say to seperately today.

I don't have a problem with needles, as long as I can watch. Doctors always try to get me to look away. They don't get it. Well, except when they put an IV in the back of my hand and couldn't find the vein, that was highly unpleasant. I looked away after the first couple minutes then.

Though I imagine the needle for an epidural is scary. :yikes:

The last time I had an IV was in college because I was dehydrated from a stomach virus. It's weird how after a while your hand feels really cold from the fluid they're giving you. And how I knew I gotten enough fluids after the second IV bag and I suddenly had to pee really badly :lol: .

Kristie said:
Fenggang Yang? I don't think so, but that's an awesome name. What does he or she teach?

He's a sociology professor at Purdue according to Kevin. He's coming to our class Monday.
I wasn't sure how separate the two departments were there, since here all we have is two anthro professors within the soc department and no actual anthro major.

Of course it's entirely possible that Kevin's full of it and he's not from Purdue.

Have I mentioned that I hate that he makes us call him Kevin? If he didn't care either way I'd probably call him Kevin, but I like to be obstinate. :D

I don't mind needles either. I think needle phobias are purely psychological. Stubbing a toe hurts worse than a regular shot. When I had a TB test, I watched them inject the bubble into my arm. When I had blood drawn for the first time, it took about 4 stabs in each elbow before they found a vein and the nurse keep apologizing, but honestly it hurt ten times less than getting my hair done for Sr. banquet (those bobby pins.....god!).

I can't imagine having an epidural is any fun though. As someone who's also suffered a back injury (not as bad as yours), I feel for you.

Kelly, I know someone who hasn't gone pee since July. For real :yes:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't mind needles either. I think needle phobias are purely psychological. Stubbing a toe hurts worse than a regular shot. When I had a TB test, I watched them inject the bubble into my arm. When I had blood drawn for the first time, it took about 4 stabs in each elbow before they found a vein and the nurse keep apologizing, but honestly it hurt ten times less than getting my hair done for Sr. banquet (those bobby pins.....god!).

I can't imagine having an epidural is any fun though. As someone who's also suffered a back injury (not as bad as yours), I feel for you.

Kelly, I know someone who hasn't gone pee since July. For real :yes:

There's needles and then there's needles. As my husband said, it looks like someone shot me three times in the back with a pellet gun. These are huge mother:censored: needles!

I had to get seven vaccinations before I came to college 'cause my doctor lost all my records except my MMR shot in 5th grade. I got 4 in one arm and 3 in the other. The nurse was REALLY glad I wasn't needle-phobic. But, then again, they were normal size needles.

Ellen, the dept of sociology and anthropology here has 6 anth professors and about 30 soc professors. Us anth people definately get the shaft. Anyway, if you care, have some info 'cause I'm bored

Fenggang Yang – Ph.D. Sociology

Email: yang@cla.purdue.edu

The Catholic University of America, 1997. (Assistant Professor).

Fields of specialization: Sociology of Religion

Research interests: Religion; cross-cultural perspectives.

Publications since 1995 include: Asian American Religion: Borders and Boundaries (working title); Chinese Christians in America: Conversion, Assimilation, and Adhesive Identities; “Transformations in New Immigrant Religions and Their Global Implications,” American Sociological Review (2001); “Religion and Ethnicity among New Immigrants: The Impact of Majority/Minority Status in Home and Host Countries,” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (2001); “Tension and the Healthy Development of Society,” Journal for the Study of Christian Culture (2000); “ABC and XYZ: Religious, Ethnic and Racial Identities of the New Second Generation Chinese in Christian Churches,” Amerasia Journal (1999); “Chinese Conversion to Evangelical Christianity: The Importance of Social and Cultural Contexts,” Sociology of Religion: A Quarterly Review (1998).

Courses taught: Religion in America; Sociology of Religion; Sociology of Race and Ethnicity; Sociology of Contemporary China; Introduction to Sociology; Social Statistics.

Social Statistics :yuck:
Also, I'm amazed that I'm going to get out of here without having to take a Sociology of Religion course.

Also, needles. :yikes:
I think I don't like needles because they always try and talk you down and assume that you're petrified of them, which really only makes me petrified. "Now you may feel a slight pinch..."
Slight pinch my ass, you're sticking a pointy metal object into my arm!

I work for a parks and recreation department and my job is to run the senior citizen activities. I got a call today that one of the seniors who was in the hospital died last night. A few weeks ago, she was complaining about her throat. Then she was on oxygen. Then she was in the hospital. I never thought of her as a sickly person. I realize she was in her eighties and had health problems, but some of the seniors you know are "frail" and she just didn't seem that frail to me.

My co-worker and I counted and we realized that 5 seniors who were going or used to go to the center have died since January. I think about 8 have died since the fall. Some were expected because of cancer or they had been going downhill for a while. Two we only found out about because another one of the seniors brought in their obituary notice.

I don't know why I'm typing all of this. I'm not very upset, it's too tiring to get upset. It's just very draining and it just seems to keep happening lately. This part of my job sucks :|

Something to cheer everyone up. These are actual answers 4th and 5th graders gave on a science exam. I'm torn between laughing and crying since I work in an elementary school.

Q: What causes the tides in the oceans?

A: The tides are a fight between the Earth and the Moon. All water tends to flow towards the moon, because there is no water on the moon, and nature hates a vacuum. I forget where the sun joins in this fight.

Q: Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe to drink.

A: Flirtation makes the water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep, and canoeists.

u2granny said:
Something to cheer everyone up. These are actual answers 4th and 5th graders gave on a science exam. I'm torn between laughing and crying since I work in an elementary school.

A: The tides are a fight between the Earth and the Moon. All water tends to flow towards the moon, because there is no water on the moon, and nature hates a vacuum. I forget where the sun joins in this fight.

A: Flirtation makes the water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep, and canoeists.

:laugh: :laugh: These are cute!

u2granny said:

:lmao:

Kristie said:
:hug: kelly :hug:

stanford rejected me

however, I have discovered one of my coldplay cds that I fully forgot about and now I'm listening to it. Ahh...

stanford's loss - stupid stanford :madspit:

We had a valentine's day party today and it went realy well. A band came in that played 50's & 60's music, but for once, the entertainment was actually good! They were awesome :rockon: (And usually, entertainers at senior centers not awesome :reject: ).

So that was good, and everyone had a good time :) But one of the seniors told me "another senior" was complaining that we should have a bullentin board to put the names of the people that die on it :yikes: Or make an annoucement over the PA.

We put out condolence cards to send to the family, and we do put up the obit notices on the bullentin board. I go around to other seniors to tell them what happened, but I'm sorry - I am so not having a "Wall of Death" to keep up all year or yelling out over the microphone that someone died - it's depressing and morbid :banghead:

:hug: Kelly :hug: That would be one aspect of working in that kind of setting that I probably would not be able to deal with that well.

Kristie said:

stanford rejected me

however, I have discovered one of my coldplay cds that I fully forgot about and now I'm listening to it. Ahh...

:hug: Twin :hug:

but YAY for Coldplay! I can't wait for the new album this year :) You know... you and Gina really got me into them by telling me all about the concerts you went to!

Last edited:
"You know, Maine is the whitest state there is." -Dr. Yang

So for my History of the English Language class I have to translate runic into Old English. :huh: :yikes:

Kim, I had a dream the other night that you were in. And then the next night I had a dream that neutral was in. It's kinda weird since I don't really know what either of you look like... :scratch:

This whole like 60s yesterday snow last night thing is killing me. Can you say headache of the century?

and I have an exam in... 1 1/2 hours.
:crack:

Back
Top Bottom