I have a question.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
Professional Insomniac

Location: If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I'm not. I'm in New Brunswick.
Local Time: 03:25 AM
I have a question....

Would it confuse everyone if I changed the POV in my story for a little bit? I need to go to someone else's perspective and I'm not sure if it would hurt the story or not.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 AM
I tend to switch the switch the POV in my fics back and forth a lot, simply with a clear line break inbetween the sections, but then again, I write in third-person (usually) so that makes that a lot easier.

Since you're writing in first-person, it'll make it a little bit harder to seam the switchover smoothly, but if you really need to do it, do it. Just make it really clear at the beginning of the chapter whose POV you're going into.

Or perhaps you could make it a little less confusing by writing the other person's perspective in third person. For example, instead of having Bono say 'I looked over at Edge then, and I couldn't believe what I saw.', you could just do 'Bono looked over at Edge then, and couldn't believe what he saw., this way it's still clearly from Bono's POV, but not as confusing as it would be if you suddenly switched from one person's first-person POV to another.

We're smart readers here, and I think we can handle whatever decision you make without it hurting our interest in the story. I would say that putting the alternate POV into third person would probably be a better idea though, simply because when you've been reading a first-person POV for a while, your brain gets used to the I in the story referring exclusively to one person, so if it switches, it can throw the reader off.

...God, that was a longwinded post. Forgive me, it's an outrageous hour here!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Professional Insomniac

Location: If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I'm not. I'm in New Brunswick.
Local Time: 03:25 AM
Thank you for that. Third person might make it easier for me to write it too.

This next chapter is going to take me a bit. I probably won't get it up before Tues or Wed.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.