I got hoaxed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Some :censored: just stuck a note in my e-mail box claiming that they had received reports that my account was used to send a large amount of unsolicited e-mail. It said obviously my computer had been compromised, and it included an attachment. The note claimed I needed to take their advice on securing my system. Fortunately Outlook Express had blocked the attachment because it contained a virus. It was signed as if it had come from my ISP. I freaked out, called my ISP and they told me it was a hoax but I needed to check my system all the same. I did; fortunately I didn't have any viruses.
What with this planet, anyway?:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

That's :censored: bad, verte!!!
Such a relief you didn't get a virus in the end, but god you must have been doing your nut!! :hug:

This one sounds like typical e-mail virus/spam. I'm not sure how most ISPs work, but the one we use for our dial-up service I don't think e-mails users w/ viruses, they contact us and we're required to diable their access until the computer has been repaired (I just did a bunch of laptops on Friday). Sometimes it's true though, that "you" send out virus e-mails, even without being infected or knowing. The nature of the viruses that come through e-mail DOES send HUGE amounts of e-mail from people who do NOT have a virus. What happens is someone else gets the virus, it's someone you know or corrospond with and your e-mail address is in their contact list. The viruses uses this contact list to send out more e-mails. So it sends an e-mail to some random person, but the "From" shows up as you b/c it got your address from the infected computer's records.

Viruses are actually extremely simple to prevent. All you have to do is keep Windows up to date. If you don't remember to update it, you can turn on the Automatic Update. There's a nasty new virus that came out this week and it infects people who never installed Windows XP service pack 2 so if you haven't done that yet, do it ASAP.

I'm glad you didn't get the virus!

I'm with you, on the people who do things like that. I can't understand how someone can get their kicks out of destroying another person's computer and files...what kind of person does that??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I get that nonsense all the time, it's so lame. :madspit:

The best ones are when I get some email telling me I need to log in to my bank account for "account maintenance" or something and it will be a link to a bank I've never even heard of. :confused: :madspit:

That's terrible :madspit: Everyone watch out don't let them get our computers! :hug: Verte

E-mail viruses are so rediculous. I'm so glad my school finally fired up the Baracuda firewall/spam blocker/virus destroyer. No more inbox annoyances!

I'm glad your computer didn't get infected. :hug:

If you see what kind of e-mails I get. I think 15 e-mails in one day that contains a virus or is junk. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom