I gate crashed the Breakfast on Pluto premiere and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I don't want to give the definitive answer, but since it's 5 in the morning in Dublin, I'll hazard a quess.
That name is just a classic female Irish name. I don't know that there's a lot more to it than that.:shrug:

GracelandHarley said:

:|

Well, long before this thread turned into the War of the Roses, I had inquired about the topic above...

I don't mean to pry if this is some sort of state secret... or if it has been explained too many times before, and I missed it. I am thinking, however, it just got overlooked in the kerfluffle that followed.

So I'll try again... what does Niamh_Saorsie mean?:huh:

Well, to at least give you an idea of the meanings:

Niamh was the daughter of the Irish sea god Manannan she was known as "Niamh of the Golden Hair," a beautiful princess riding on a white horse. She fell in love with Fionn's son Oisin and lived with him in Tir-na-nOg ("Land of the Young") where 300 years passed in what seemed like three weeks.

And Saoirse is the Gaeilge for "freedom".

Niamh is pronounced: Nee-avh, or just Neeve. (as Gaeilge, the 'mh' together makes a 'vh' sound.

And Saoirse is seer-sha or sor-sha

Last edited:
biff said:
Well, I don't want to give the definitive answer, but since it's 5 in the morning in Dublin, I'll hazard a quess.
That name is just a classic female Irish name. I don't know that there's a lot more to it than that.:shrug:

Thank you, Biff, and U2forlife for your help... much appreciated!! :D

RogueVox... Go raibh maith agat!

I hope that actually translates properly to "thank you" in Irish Gaelic... I've had bad experiences with Google translations before!
(Don't ask about the dreaded ham/soap incident with the cleaning staff in the ladies' room at work!) I am of Irish ancestry (also Scots), and I had never heard that story! I'll have to look into further!

GracelandHarley said:

:|

Well, long before this thread turned into the War of the Roses, I had inquired about the topic above...

I don't mean to pry if this is some sort of state secret... or if it has been explained too many times before, and I missed it. I am thinking, however, it just got overlooked in the kerfluffle that followed.

So I'll try again... what does Niamh_Saorsie mean?:huh:

Oops! Sorry! I was meant to reply to your post but then I forgot. :huh: Bad Flavia! lol

Niamh and Saoirse are 2 of my favourite Irish names. Niamh means bright or lustrous or radiant and Saoirse, freedom. And that´s the mystery behind the name. :lol:

u2forlife said:
Yeah she told me something like that in Boston. She'll be back to explain more. The pronunciation is what got me. The name is pronounced...like...Naive Sorsay

Yeah, Niamh is pronounce Neev and Saoirse, seer-sha, or something to that extent. :lol:

RogueVox said:

Well, to at least give you an idea of the meanings:

Niamh was the daughter of the Irish sea god Manannan she was known as "Niamh of the Golden Hair," a beautiful princess riding on a white horse. She fell in love with Fionn's son Oisin and lived with him in Tir-na-nOg ("Land of the Young") where 300 years passed in what seemed like three weeks.

And Saoirse is the Gaeilge for "freedom".

Niamh is pronounced: Nee-avh, or just Neeve. (as Gaeilge, the 'mh' together makes a 'vh' sound.

And Saoirse is seer-sha or sor-sha

Ack! You beat me to it! That´s what happens when you start posting and don´t read the whole thread first. hehehe

Thanks doll! :D

I just saw the clip Flavia :up:

congrats again, you lucky devil did it again :hug:

Did you hang around until the end of the movie, any more sightings of Bono and Ali?
(I'm almost afraid to ask here, since I might get bashed for it later :reject: )

Oh, and Digsy, since you may know better than any of us, Ma Braden is played by Ruth McCabe, do you know if she is related to the author of the book?

No, I didnt stay to wait for him at the movie. Why would I? I mean, I had already seen him/talked to him so that was more than enough. I got my Bono fix of the month! :lol:

And beside I had a splitting headache. Btw, thanks to Aidan who gave me a lift home in his super-comfy car. :lol:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
No, I didnt stay to wait for him at the movie. Why would I? I mean, I had already seen him/talked to him so that was more than enough. I got my Bono fix of the month! :lol:

And beside I had a splitting headache. Btw, thanks to Aidan who gave me a lift home in his super-comfy car. :lol:

Lol, I guess he stayed to watch the film then.

Flavia - are you about next weekend then. I am going around all the U2 sites as it is my first visit to Dublin. Are there any rumors over there at all of any appearences by the band next week - I am going to try my luck at the studio as I heard rumors that they might be recording.

Lisa

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Oops! Sorry! I was meant to reply to your post but then I forgot. :huh: Bad Flavia! lol

Niamh and Saoirse are 2 of my favourite Irish names. Niamh means bright or lustrous or radiant and Saoirse, freedom. And that´s the mystery behind the name. :lol:

:up: I always wondered what your name meant! Thanks all! :)

Niamh_Saoirse said:

:D

digsy said:

ok while you guys argue over the ethics of gate-crashing i'm just gonna blow my own horn for a second.... :D

if you go to this page and click (more) under the initla cast list the full cast a crew list comes up - about 3/4 of the way down the page you'll see my name next to "data operator: Framestore CFC"

i got to do some of the opst production - general management as well as some of the subtitles in the film :hyper:

ok, self promtion over :lol:
Congratulations on this!
I have a question---if you don't mind my asking---where did you go to learn media arts? Is there a school or university for this? I'm seeking direction/ valid training for a media arts oriented young person serious about learning. many thanks!

lisa2004 said:

Lol, I guess he stayed to watch the film then.

Flavia - are you about next weekend then. I am going around all the U2 sites as it is my first visit to Dublin. Are there any rumors over there at all of any appearences by the band next week - I am going to try my luck at the studio as I heard rumors that they might be recording.

Lisa

Yeah, I´ll be around but things are gonna be kinda mad because some of my lovely friends are coming over and we have some evil plans to carry out! :evil:

I haven´t heard of any appearences for the rest of the month. The band is nominated for the Meteor Awards but that´s in February. :shrug:

Yeah and I don't think that they will attend seeing as they are in Europe the week before and Bono is in DC the day after...

Edge might go I guess

Lisa

Niamh_Saoirse said:

I haven´t heard of any appearences for the rest of the month. The band is nominated for the Meteor Awards but that´s in February. :shrug:

bono will be in copenhagen on the 23rd and in germany the next day :)

anjarw said:

bono will be in copenhagen on the 23rd and in germany the next day :)

Yeah and lets hope he flies out on the 22nd from Dublin as that is the same day I do!!! Maybe I'll get a glimpse of him then!!

Lisa

u2forlife said:
Sorsay....Seersha...same difference :lol:

When are Digsy, UKtan and U2moe coming over?

My first post here and just reply in Flav's thread, I must be mad, heard the story a gazillion times already! lol :wink:

We're going over Friday 20th, Food, Karaoke and good times. Making sure that Flav gets absolutely hammered for the entire weekend :D

U2_Moe said:
We're going over Friday 20th, Food, Karaoke and good times. Making sure that Flav gets absolutely hammered for the entire weekend :D
Wendy :hyper: Welcome Boston Flag Ship sailor :wave:
You guys sound like you are going to have so much fun. Please have a drink on me
2.gif

@ Flavia- congrats!
Great story and nice video. Unfortunately I went to the Savoy one week too early ;)
I was in Dublin until Jan. 3, but I'm coming back in February.

May I ask you a question, Flavia?- Where do you get information on what is going on in Dublin?! (Events, parties...?) :wink: THX!

bonoishot said:

Manchester Airport right :wink:

Can't wait for this summer, Dublin here i come :drool:

We usually fly from Leeds/Bradford as its a bit nearer but from April Humberside has flights to Dublin daily so our husbands are panicking as we can go so easily now!!:drool:

I think we'll be over May/June when the band are hopefully back on home soil and recording I need some new photos with Bono!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom