how to ask for a raise???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hiya PLEBA chicks! :wave: Long time no...uh, see? talk? post? :huh: Okay, I have a work-related question(s) I was hoping to get advice on:

This is all purely hypothetical of course!
  • Okay...X gets laid off from job where X was making, hypothetically, $25,000
  • X finds another job, but with that comes a 10% paycut.
  • X loves new job and works hard, so when the time comes where X may be getting an increase....what is the protocol on this? Does X ask only for the 10% that will bring them back up to what X was making before, OR, does X ask for, say, 20%, which would take X up to what they were previously making, plus a standard 10% more, as one would get when taking any new job???
  • As an aside, as X has put in MANY long hours, X was also thinking about asking to be *paid* for any OT, rather than be given comp time. not that I'm X or anything, you understand.... :sexywink:

Anybody ever been in this dilemma? My boss and I have a great relationship, so I can be very blunt with him about pretty much anything, but I have very rarely--if ever--asked for a raise and I'm very nervous! er....not that I'm X or anything....and all salaries and names in this post, living or dead, are purely coincidental! :D

TIA! :hugs:

Last edited:
Are you expecting to get a 10% increase automatically, or will you have to ask them to increase it to that? If it'll be at least 10% no matter what, I think you should ask for an additional 5-10%, and bring up the overtime you've worked and the amount you were making in the other job.

:shrug:

Hmmmm?..hard situation considering the financial times.
Well, tell your friend to ask for a 10 percent raise.
Explain why you NEED it, yes you might deserve it but
your financial needs come first. I would go to him/her and
explain that you love your job and with a list of goals you have
set for yourself and when you plan to accomplish them.
Remember his/her boss is not going to give a raise for
Nothing.

Will your friend?s boss be the one to make the final decision?
If not then maybe your friend can raise the percentage.
Why? Because this will give your friend?s boss as way to explain
why you deserve it with the upper-up. It will be more likely for
them to choose something between 10-20 percent.

I did this and received a ?merit increase? plus my yearly increase.
I was hired full time after working 1 year as a temp. I was hired
at the same wage because I could not earn more than someone who
was hired before me that had more education under her belt.

Good luck, and have yourself a Merry Christmas?
Oh yeah?this time of year is great for asking for
raises!

Does your current boss know what you were making at your other job? I had the exact situation happen to me, I lost my job, got a new job that I liked but was paid considerably less. My boss knew that, so he was very good to me at raise time. It took a while, but I eventually made more money than at my previous job.

I also took other things into consideration about the two jobs, like working less hours and being more flexible on my new job, and not having to pay for health insurance, that was a big benefit.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Back
Top Bottom