how is Ali involved in U2's business?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
just curious...how is Ali involved in U2's everyday business? is she like a second manager to them? are all the first wives involved?

Uh, I'd guess not really at all. I've never heard or read anything that would imply she's part of U2's business unit or Principle Management.

The only involvement I can recall was in 1998, the year U2 split from Ossie Kilkenny, who had been their accountant for most of their career. Here's what a quick search found (from @u2); I recall several reports of this at the time:

"And in Dublin, it has been claimed that U2 may be heading for the courts in a dispute with entertainment accountant Ossie Kilkenny, who had looked after the band's interests for almost 20 years.

Although U2 have maintained a strict silence over the affair, sources close to the group say that the split came after a stormy meeting between Ali Hewson, wife of Bono, and the accountant.

It is believed that a full reorganisation of the band's business affairs is in progress; they grossed as much as £60m from their recent PopMart tour. The exact level of U2's wealth is unknown, although it has been estimated to be in the region of £400m -- the revenue from album sales is split evenly between the four band members and their manager Paul MacGuinness.

However, there are conflicting reports as to the extent of the dispute between the two parties. Ossie Kilkenny, whose other music clients include Sinead O'Connor and Boy George, has been a longtime friend of the band but a source close to U2 revealed last week that legal action has not been ruled out by both sides."

Reports suggested that Ali confronted him because the band was in a much less financially secure position than they should have been. Soon after, the band did split with Kilkenny under a big cloud of secrecy. I've never seen anything about it since then.

Well Ali got the money of the Sweetest Thing single for the Chernobyl project , if that counts

Caroni said:
I think she keeps the lead singer under control, and that´s enough for the band

yeah... and that's probably harder work than Paul has to do.... :wink:

BGD75 said:

yeah... and that's probably harder work than Paul has to do.... :wink:

LOL, at least she gets vacations when he goes off on tour. I read an interview with her once where she joked about sending Bono off on tour with his other wife, The Edge.

Dana

rihannsu said:

LOL, at least she gets vacations when he goes off on tour. I read an interview with her once where she joked about sending Bono off on tour with his other wife, The Edge.

Dana

Indeed. And she throws a party when he leaves. I think I would too. I suspect he's very high maintenance.

biff said:

Indeed. And she throws a party when he leaves. I think I would too. I suspect he's very high maintenance.

Or like they say, sometimes it's easier to just do everything yourself as long as you can do it YOUR way :wink:

Back
Top Bottom