How did you first become a U2 fan!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With me it was the elevation tour
My dad bought the CD ATYCLB and didn't really liked except Stuck,elevation and Walk On but just like some of you guys I though they whare just a Rock&Roll band trying to be cool.
Anyway, My dad had tickets for the concert in Antwerps and was totally in 7th heaven.Me, I was kind of excited not happy
So, we went to Antwerps for the concert and I stepped out totally different than I went in.Bono was so a cool guy and their music was 10.000 times better than on the record an specially BTBS and elevation with all the lights on .Woohoo.Now I know more than my dad :D

Well......

How did i become a U2 fan??????Hmmmmm ......well it was the nite of the MTV VMA awards one year and i saw U2 come on but i didnt know anything about them at all......anyways they were performing Stuck In a Moment and i said to myself .......i know i know that song i've heard it manytimes on the radio before but i never payed much attention to it..........:( .....anways i started listening to them perform and the way Bono sang it was so beautiful .......the way he was.........so gorgoeus standing there..........he totally got my attention........from then and there i knew that i had to find out who this group was and get as much cds as possible.......and i'm proud to say i've been a fan for one year and is still on the road to discover more about the most talented band called U2.

Re: Well......

EveClayton said:
How did i become a U2 fan??????Hmmmmm ......well it was the nite of the MTV VMA awards one year and i saw U2 come on but i didnt know anything about them at all......anyways they were performing Stuck In a Moment and i said to myself .......i know i know that song i've heard it manytimes on the radio before but i never payed much attention to it..........:( .....anways i started listening to them perform and the way Bono sang it was so beautiful .......the way he was.........so gorgoeus standing there..........he totally got my attention........from then and there i knew that i had to find out who this group was and get as much cds as possible.......and i'm proud to say i've been a fan for one year and is still on the road to discover more about the most talented band called U2.

I liked that whole thing from the VMAs...I remember, during "Elevation"-I think it was at the part where he goes, "I need you to elevate me here", how Bono kinda slid down so that his knees were bent but he was still on his feet and all that...I'm like, "Ooh, smooth..." (I saw that after I became a U2 fan, when they repeated the awards show one time).

A thing I've noticed with a lot of these stories: most of us had heard their music before and either liked it but never really knew who it was or never really thought to listen to more of it right away, or we didn't like their music at one time.

It's just funny the circumstances that led a lot of us to finally wind up discovering the greatness of U2.

Originally posted by Melpop
The first time I ever saw them on TV was in the One videoclip... the version where Bono is sitting at a bar. I was like:"My god... this is what the singer looks like...:drool:"

LOL, yeah, I know what you mean...like I said, I saw that "When The Stars Go Blue" video and I remembered Bono was the lead singer of U2, and I saw him dancing with Andrea, and I just thought that was so sweet. And he seemed so charming. So I was like, "You know, that lady who wrote in to "People" magazine, the one who said that she liked the Bono article that was in there a few months ago, the one who said that he'd always have her vote for sexiest man alive...yeah, I'm starting to agree with her..."

Heh, and then my sister, one night, she sees me watching the video and she goes, "You're not getting a thing for him now, are you?" and I said, "No", and she goes, "Yeah, right." She eventually figured it out one morning when we were watching videos and the one for "Elevation" came on. I pointed out that Bono had an earring on, and somehow from that bit of information she discovered I liked him.

I can't keep my crushes from her, I know that now. She'll find out eventually.

And after I started liking Bono, and seeing a lot of older clips of him, I realized, "Okay, not only does Bono look good now, but he apparently has looked good for a long time."

Especially when I started seeing pictures and videos of the band's from the late 80s, when I saw how Bono looked during that time, I was like, "THUD...hello..."

Heh. Another thing I remember-when I was younger I'd seen the videos for "Numb" and "Lemon" on T.V. one time.

My reaction then: :eyebrow:...

My reaction now: This is different...and cool...

And until I'd started becoming a U2 fan, I had no idea they did the song "Staring At The Sun". I'd heard that song on the radio, but had no idea who did it, then one day I was looking at this thing that listed all these songs U2 has had in the Top 40 charts, and "Staring At The Sun" was mentioned, and I was like, "Oh, wow, I didn't know they did that song!"

Angela

Last edited:
this singer i like, Darren Hayes, talks about how much he likes U2 alot..he idolises them! he dyed his hair black because of bono..so when ATYCLB came out i was like "hmm i'll give it a try" and i remember when i bought it my dad was like "becoming a U2 fan?" I said "maybe i am!" and i LOVED the album. so i bought more..then saw them on tour..I still LOVE darren hayes..but i am so grateful i found u2 because of him! don't know where i'd be with out them.

For me it was hearing With or Without You on the radio in the spring of 1987. Up until that time I only had the vaguest idea of who U2 were and had never heard any of their songs, but I absolutely fell in love with WOWY. I started reading about the band in Rolling Stone and Time Magazine and was as blown away by the kind of people they were as I was by their music. I was flat broke at the time and couldn't afford to buy albums, so I had to be content with taping U2 songs off the radio for quite a while, but I did gradually start buying albums - beginning with Rattle and Hum, followed by The Joshua Tree, War, etc. The more I heard their music the more I loved it. And then they released Achtung Baby and I realized just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about U2 there was a whole new side to them I hadn't discovered yet. And here it is 16 years later and I'm still obssessed with them!

Re: December

smk1379 said:
It all started with Mary (Quiggs) taking me to downtown Indianapolis to hear Bono speak for the DATA tour. I bought my first three CD's that weekend and now I am here on PLEBA thanks to her!!

~Shannon~

:happy: :hyper: YAY! Shannon! :hug:

Now for me...
I always knew who U2 was because my older sister listened to them. She wasn't a huge fan, but she had a lot of their albums. So, I kind of grew up listening to them, though I didn't really know much about them.
Well, one night I was bored and decided to watch VH1 when the Legends special came on. I think it was about 3 years ago? :scratch: My first thought was ":censored: he's hot!" when I saw Larry! :wink: Then I thought "Wow! They're really interesting." So I went out and bought Achtung Baby (reccomended by my Sis) and fell in love with it. The rest, as they say, is history! :wave:

AdamsMango said:
this singer i like, Darren Hayes, talks about how much he likes U2 alot..he idolises them! he dyed his hair black because of bono..so when ATYCLB came out i was like "hmm i'll give it a try" and i remember when i bought it my dad was like "becoming a U2 fan?" I said "maybe i am!" and i LOVED the album. so i bought more..then saw them on tour..I still LOVE darren hayes..but i am so grateful i found u2 because of him! don't know where i'd be with out them.

:yes:...Darren Hayes, formerly of Savage Garden-yeah, my sister likes his stuff, too-I think it's neat that he's a big fan of U2 as well.

Angela

I was 13 years old and I heard NYD on the radio. I bought the War album and I loved almost all the songs! I started looking for stuff about them in stores and got some magazines with them in it. I saw Red Rocks on TV :drool: and I was absolutely in LOVE with Bono! I had such a crush on him (still do) :yes:

I've loved U2 ever since I heard WOWY and WTSHNN....etc. I just didn't know that I liked "them".

Back in the spring of 2001 my friend listened to the ATYCLB cd non stop. I remember getting hooked on some songs that were numbers 4, 5, or 6. I didn't know the names of the songs, but knew that I really liked what I was hearing! So, I decided to buy the cd.

Well, the summer of 2001 I was at a sports bar and another one of my friends went to the jukebox and requested a couple of songs. WOWY came on and I nearly freaked out! I was like....who is this by? I knew that I recognized the song from my EARLY childhood (I'm 20 right now).

A few months later my friend bought me the JT album for my birthday. I was AMAZED at how many of their songs I new...and loved!!!!!

Within the next month I bought October, The Unforgettable Fire, AB, and the best of 80-90. Over the next year I would go through off and on obsessions with them.

I finally decided around this past Christmas that I had to build my collection. I now have 29 U2 cds!!! I know that's nothing compared to other people on here.

But man do I love this band!!! Not only for the music, but for who they are as people! I'm so thankful that I found a band like them....and a message board that is as obsessed with U2 as I am:p I may not post a lot, but I lurk a lot.

BTW, I went through 129 pages of the "PLEBA" section of this board. Yeah, that took a long time! I want to see the 'Elevated Bono' pictures!

~Liz

Re: Re: Well......

Moonlit_Angel said:

A thing I've noticed with a lot of these stories: most of us had heard their music before and either liked it but never really knew who it was or never really thought to listen to more of it right away, or we didn't like their music at one time.

It's just funny the circumstances that led a lot of us to finally wind up discovering the greatness of U2.

Me too! I wasn't a fan until ATYCLB and Elevation either, but I had heard songs like One and WOWY and never knew they did it!

And after I started liking Bono, and seeing a lot of older clips of him, I realized, "Okay, not only does Bono look good now, but he apparently has looked good for a long time."

I know what you mean. I liked the Bono I saw in Elevation, but looking at all the past "Bonos" was like playing Mystery Date or something, so many surprises, is THAT him?! The Fly was something like Elevation Bono, but then there was MacPhisto! When I first saw him, I thought what was up with that, but now I think he's kind of cool! When I saw the pics of him with is hair shaved almost all off, I thought he looked like a monkey, that couldn't be him?! All the way back in time to Boy Bono, was he ever that young? I wish he was my age now!

Especially when I started seeing pictures and videos of the band's from the late 80s, when I saw how Bono looked during that time, I was like, "THUD...hello..."

Angela

Oh yeah. That was it. The late 80's look, hello and THUD indeed :drool: My dream Bono! :love:

bonolove! said:
BTW, I went through 129 pages of the "PLEBA" section of this board. Yeah, that took a long time! I want to see the 'Elevated Bono' pictures!

~Liz

Haha, I did that, too! Some funny, funny posts out there-I'd sit there laughing hysterically at various things and my mom's like, "What's so funny?"

Originally posted by Sweepie
I wish he was my age now!

Really, no kidding!

Angela

11/15/1987 Oakland Joshua Tree concert
I had gotten hooked on Under a Blood Red Sky earlier that year, but then when I saw JT live even though I was in the back section of the stadium, it was an experience like no other in my 14 years of life at the time. It blew me away, and U2 has been it for me ever since!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom