HOTLINKING - all PLEBA members please read!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souly

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hot Bono Picture Here. Omg He Has No Shirt On!!!

Like flies to honey, Plebans are to hot Bono pics

Right. Now that I've got your attention...

Sit down, make yourself comfortable. Thats right, you the regular Pleban, the lurker who posts on U2.com, the random guy who happened wander into this lovely place.

There's an issue with a few of us here are having a problem with, and it's time we had a thread about hotlinking.

The following post was found on a Livejournal community and I do encourage you to take a look at it and read it over.

What is hotlinking?
You are hotlinking to an image when you right-click on it, view its properties, copy the URL of the image's location, then use that URL in an img tag to make the image show up in your post or on your website.

However, right-clicking on an image, saving it to your hard drive then uploading it to your own server or storage space (eg, photobucket) before posting is completely fine, and encouraged when the posted images are credited to the original artist.

Why is it bad?
When you set up a server to host your images, you are usually given a certain amount of storage space and bandwidth that you must not exceed in a given amount of time (eg, per month).

If you go over your allotted amount of space or bandwidth usage, there can be several consequences: you may have to pay extra to your host, your images may be taken down until you rectify the problem or next monthly cycle starts (eg, you may have noticed little replacement images for those who host their images with photobucket, saying 'bandwidth exceeded'), or your bandwidth speed may be reduced to dial-up velocity or even les, making images take FOREVER to download into your browser.

What is this bandwidth thing and how can it be stolen?
Storage space is easy to control as you can usually see how much space you're taking up.

Bandwidth however, is another issue entirely. When you visit a page and the image shows up in your browser, a certain amount of bandwidth is used up as the image is downloaded from the server by the browser. So if someone has a lot of visitors to their site and the image is downloaded constantly by a lot of browsers, then that person is going to be using up a lot of their bandwidth.

When you hotlink to an image, and someone views the post with that image in it, you browser is still downloading that image from the other person's host and therefore using their bandwidth.

So by hotlinking you're effectively stealing someone else's bandwidth, and therefore either making them pay more money, and/or forcing their images to disappear for chunks of time.

So, in conlcusion, two points:

1) Hotlinking is bad, don't do it kids!

2) Right-click saving is the way to go. Get a photobucket album, it's free and easy to use.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
So I don't get a hot Bono pic? This was a trick? A cruel evil trick?
Demon42.gif

What's a girl to do? I think at the least we deserve a pic! (Not that I have any :reject: )

hahaha, i know souly, i know. and i have decided to forgive you now :flirt:

thank you :up:
pleban's, just say no to hotlinking. :shame:

:lmao:

too true

In fairness to everyone I figured I should post a picture of Bono showing some skin :wink:

1zxif6.jpg

*photo not hotlinked :D

Lila64 said:
So I don't get a hot Bono pic? This was a trick? A cruel evil trick?
Demon42.gif

What's a girl to do? I think at the least we deserve a pic! (Not that I have any :reject: )

Did you read the post? :)

I like your title, Souly!!
Really got me there!!
But I'm sure it'll work wonders.
Very good one to lure people in here.

Any way, thanks for posting that.
'Cause I had seen the word 'hotlinking' mentioned before.
But I had no clue what it was.
And of course was too lazy to find out by doing some searching myself.

So it turns out, I'm guilty.
Guilty as charged.
Yeah, that's right.
Turns out I have been hotlinking all this time.
Without having a clue.
Please don't shoot me!
Hey, at least I'm honest to admit it.
Or the only one stupid enough.

But I'd hereby like to extend my sincerest apologies to all of you (and I already see a few familiar names above me whose pictures I have hotlinked) whose bandwith I have unknowingly used.

It won't happen again.
I promise.
Guess that means no more picture posting for me.
Ha, who am I kidding?!
I'm addicted to blue crack already.
Better open a photobucket account for myself.

Is flickr possible too??
'Cause I already have an account there.

Sorry once again.

Souly said:

Did you read the post? :)

Yes I did, and I usually save pics on my computer, and apologize if I've hotlinked in the past. I understood, I should have put a " :wink: " in my post, my apologies.

But I wanted a HOT BONO BIC :wink:

thanks nursechrissi! (were those Calvins?) :giggle:

Lila64 said:

Yes I did, and I usually save pics on my computer, and apologize if I've hotlinked in the past. I understood, I should have put a " :wink: " in my post, my apologies.

Thank you! I'm glad you've read the post, and that you know what hotlinking is. :up:

nurse chrissi said:
:lmao:

too true

In fairness to everyone I figured I should post a picture of Bono showing some skin :wink:

1zxif6.jpg

*photo not hotlinked :D

That's not quite the kind of skin I was thinking of. Well I guess that answers our question of boxers or briefs. LOL

admitting it is the first step Miringeltje. :yes:

now I quite like the undies pic myself (thanks nurse chrissi) but for the rest of you girls a hotlink-free pic of some precious bono skin.

34464%3C9523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2349%3D328%3D373%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3B2%3B%3B627%3Aot1lsi

I dunno....that's pink shirt is pretty hot too....thanks zooperson. :drool: But I can't betray the purple one. Thanks.

zooperson said:
admitting it is the first step Miringeltje. :yes:

now I quite like the undies pic myself (thanks nurse chrissi) but for the rest of you girls a hotlink-free pic of some precious bono skin.

34464%3C9523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2349%3D328%3D373%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3B2%3B%3B627%3Aot1lsi

I spy, with my little eye, something that starts with E! :edge: :wink:

Lemon3 said:

That's not quite the kind of skin I was thinking of. Well I guess that answers our question of boxers or briefs. LOL

I can't tell whether they are boxes or briefs!!! Please help me.....:ohmy:

:shocked:

I came in gunsablazing for the B-pic :lol:

I'll take the time now to apologise :reject:

Miss Becky and u2granny told me once that I had been hotlinking their pics and that I shouldnt do it.

In fairness though....I had no idea what hotlinking was and I actually found out that I didnt do it, odd really!

But to just say to you, I apologise if you did think I was hotlinking your pictures, if I did, it really wasnt intentional.

Great thread Souly! :up:

Now for the B pic we wanted to see :wink:

Bono-Towel.jpg

Taken from my photobucket account :wink:

Back
Top Bottom