HOTLINKING - all PLEBA members please read!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nurse chrissi said:
:lmao:

too true

In fairness to everyone I figured I should post a picture of Bono showing some skin :wink:

1zxif6.jpg

*photo not hotlinked :D
:lol:
:hyper:

:applaud:

Very true. I've never hotlinked, I actually have two accounts, one on Snapfish and one on Photobucket. Snapfish is a little easier to use, uploading to Photobucket is harder, but Photobucket is a little higher in image quality, IMO. I haven't posted pix in awhile but when I do they are usually from my Photobucket account.

:up: Souly - you made a good point here, and definitely hooked us helpless PLEBAns in to do it! Let it be known herewith and heretofore and whatever legal mumbojumbo that can be mustered here that I've always used my snapfish account. At least I think I've always used it! And I have dial-up, so it takes forever to actually post a freaking photo, but I love it so much here I deal with it.

I'm a little concerned about u2.com though. I've seen hotlinking happening there, and I've never been sure what to do about it. Especially one user in particular over there, not a PLEBAn I don't think. Any ideas on how to handle that?

I know how bad it is for people who have their own website and pay for bandwidth, or even photobucket who shuts you down when you hit your limit. That sucks. But I just want to say, if you have Boomspeed like I do (or fotki like I did and hope to have again someday when I pay my page up) it doesn't matter if anyone hotlinks because once you pay up, it's covered, there is no bandwidth limit. So some of you might want to look into these options. Boomspeed is $6 per month and Fotki is $30 per year unless it went up. Fotki has unlimited storage and bandwidth. Boomspeed gives you a very high limit but not endless storage, but does not count bandwidth. What I'm saying here is, while I respect others don't like it and can't do it, I really don't care who hotlinks my pics, because it's not hurting me or costing me anything. So go ahead. But it's still better for everyone to have their own account, and more fun!

Lemon Grrrrrl said:

I'm a little concerned about u2.com though. I've seen hotlinking happening there, and I've never been sure what to do about it. Especially one user in particular over there, not a PLEBAn I don't think. Any ideas on how to handle that?

One way to deal with it is to rename the file on photobucket, this changes the link and causes the image to turn into a red x.

Lemon Grrrrrl said:

^

:yes:

Souly said:

One way to deal with it is to rename the file on photobucket, this changes the link and causes the image to turn into a red x.

So you change the entire album name in photobucket :confused: then everything I've posted would disappear?

You've got two options - you can either rename the entire album, or just the picture. To do the latter, simply click on "Edit" above the image, and it gives you the option to rename the picture. Hope this helps! :)

So, to sum up:

Right click/save = :up: :happy: :yes:

Right click/Properties/Copy URL = :down: :madspit: :shame:

Got it? :D

Thanks again, Souly - you've helped a lot of folks with this info! :)

Souly said:
You've got two options - you can either rename the entire album, or just the picture. To do the latter, simply click on "Edit" above the image, and it gives you the option to rename the picture. Hope this helps! :)

Doesn't really help with Snapfish I don't think. I'm talking more about seeing other members' accounts being hotlinked rather than my own (remember, I have dial-up - so I see where the image is downloading from, and I recognize some of the urls from my travels here in PLEBA). Does that make sense?

I don't know if there's any way for the Interference webmasters to get the info to the U2.com webmasters so they can post a gentle reminder about hotlinking over there. :shrug:

Edgette said:

I spy, with my little eye, something that starts with E! :edge: :wink:

I didn't even notice Edge, with Bono's shirt screaming at me! :lol:

Hotlinking is definitely bad! Not to mention the fact that some URLs will actually change when hotlinked...and some not-so-nice pictures sometimes take their places. :yikes:

Just wanted to say good topic, i've actually hotlinked and had no idea i was doing it :reject::uhoh:

Sorry to anyone who's pics i have hotlinked ! Promise i wont do it again

and heres a nice pic of B from my photobucket account :drool:

bonoharleytshirt.bmp

Sorry I missed this thread before. I've actually allowed hotlinking to Interference and forum.interference.com for both alihewson.com and dutchbingo.net (some U2 pics there) and blocked any other site from hotlinking, so if you guys ever want to post the pics I have from those sites, you can hotlink from them, but only on this message board.

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry for ever hotlinking anyones pictures. I haven't done it since I got my own photobucket account a few months ago, but for whatever I did before then, I'm very sorry.

And thank you Souly for pointing out what it was. I had no idea! In fact, I thought I was quite clever when I did it. But now when I come here I usually have two windows open -- One for Interference, and one for photobucket. :D

Does this mean my photobucket account will expire if I use it too much? I have no idea about anything.

U2Kitten said:

I meant to post this in the 'how to post pics' thread for the new posters (who will not be hotlinking except from me and livluv because it's not costing us anything)

BonoFox1 said:

Thank you Zoo person!!!*YUMMMMMMMMMMM*.....:faint:

you didnt hot link this from me did you????:eyebrow: ..............

KIdding!:wink:

can't ya read reading? i am hotlink free baby.
:wink: :wink: :wink:
i did right click and save from one of your posts though. :heart: :flirt: hotlink free is the way to be.

mmmmmmmm hotlinks :drool:

I have a lame question, but I need to know. If you quote someone's post and include the pic, is that considered hotlinking?

So, being a thickie, I'd like to ask one question:

Wot happens when you reply to someone whose posted some pix and you click 'quote' therefore displaying those pix again.

For example when writing captions, are you nicking anything then?

(am I making sense here?? Duh... I so hate being 'without functioning brain cells'.

Back
Top Bottom