Honeymooning MacPhisto Society Style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonavoix

War Child
Larry's lap. Enjoying what may come... *grin*
Expect no major plot developments. Just tiny little updates, to whet your appitites for the next MPS.
biggrin.gif

------------------

*Larry walks out onto the balcony of the Rome hotel room he's sharing with his wife. He leans against the rail and immediately every passing female head snaps up and stares at him lustfully. Larry looks back into the room and motions, and seconds later, as the female crowd is gathering below him, Bona comes out and wraps her arms around her husband, kissing his shoulder. From the crowd below comes a collective dejected sigh and they part. Larry turns to Bona and kisses her forehead, relieved.*
Larry: This is going to be tough to get used to.
Bona: *running a hand along one of his horns* How long are you going to stay like this?
Larry: *biting his lip at the sensation of Bona's horn-rubbing* Until I can't hear Joshua anymore.
Bona: Seven and a half months?
Larry: If that's what it is, yes. He keeps asking me when Bono's coming back.
Bona: I don't know...
Larry: She did call and apologize.
Bona: To you. She apologized to you, not me.
Larry: It's been two weeks, she has to have realized what she did wrong by now.
Bona: I hope so...
*Larry buries his face into Bona's shoulder and sighs*
Bona: It'll be okay. You'll get the hang of this tempter stuff eventually. You'll know how to control reactions.
Larry: I hope so.
Bona: You're already getting better at it.
Larry: It'll be better when we head home tomorrow.
Bona: I know. *sigh* I hope Mackie's doing better.
Larry: Who knows.
Bona: I just hate being hated for something that never happened. And I know that's what he's going through right now. The worst thing is that she won't listen.
*Larry kisses her again and leads her inside. He closes the door to the balcony and seconds later giggling can be heard...*

Bluephisto: How much sugar do you put in your coffee? Wow...
*The Fly smiled at her innocently as he scooped spoon after spoon of the glittering white powder into his coffee cup. It was almost noon and he wore a pair of black boxers*
The Fly: What can I say? *He kissed his new wife on the cheek, and she smiled. He was so handsome in the mornings, so warm and rumpled looking, blue eyes shining above a little stubble.* I like sweet things! If I could put you into my coffee, I would, baby. *Bluephisto laughed and rolled her eyes*
The Fly: How do you take your coffee Mrs. The Fly?
Bluephisto: Oh, I'm Mrs. The Fly now?
The Fly: You betcha, yer all mine now woman! Or I could be Mr. Bluephisto...I really don't care, as long as you promise to walk around in my shirt all day...*He smiles broadly and hugs her from behind, still clutching his cup in one hand. She smells wonderful, like cookies or something good and she's wearing one of his dress shirts like a short nightgown, a habit she's developed over their two weeks of marriage.*
Bluephisto: *Smiling at him over her shoulder* Actually, I don't remember ever having coffee before.
The Fly: You're kidding baby! Really? No? *She shook her head and he traced his ring finger over her collar bone. He knew that not only did they have to fit a lifetime of marriage in the sad confines of a few more months, but that she had no real memory of her life before...Only a little future, and no past. He wouldn't let himself think about it around her. He usually waited until she was asleep and then he'd lie there looking at her, sometimes then, he'd let himself cry about it, but the last thing he wanted to do was burden her with his grief. The way he saw it, it was his job to make sure she had a great life, whatever she remembered of it...it was a job he adored.* Well then, we'll just have to find out won't we?
Bluephisto: Okay...can I try your coffee?
The Fly: *Flirtaciously* Baby, you can try my anything...
Bluephisto: Well, I'll just take your coffee for now...*She took the cup he offered her and raised it to her lips, she could smell the sugar before she dared to sip it* I'm a little afraid of your coffee.
The Fly: It frightens you?
Bluephisto: It certainly does.
The Fly: *In his best Barry White voice* It don't hurt...unless you want it to, baby...oh yeah...
*Bluephisto took a sip and pulled a face, The Fly laughed and took the cup before she dropped it*
The Fly: *Innocently*Needs more sugar?
Bluephisto: Dear lord! How do you drink that? Gah!
The Fly: *Smirking mischeviously* Lemme help you, baby...
*He kissed Bluephisto deeply on the lips, dividing the sweetness between them with his tounge. She relaxed immediately and slid her arms around him, running her fingers through his wavy hair. She loved kissing him, she always did, he was a great kisser and he knew it. He pulled away slowly.*
The Fly: Is that better honey?
Bluephisto: *Her eyes still closed*Mmmmm hmmmm...
The Fly: Want more?
Bluephisto: Mmmmmm hmmmmm...*She was just about to kiss him again when she began to cough. She put a hand over her mouth and turned away, The Fly pushed his coffee on the black counter, spilling it, and stepped closer to her, rubbing her back*
The Fly: Baby, you okay? Come on honey... just breathe... it's okay... *She had started coughing again lately. He hoped it was not a trend but it happened often these past few days, she had also started to sleep about ten hours a day. He frowned and tried to think of a way to help her...there was nothing he could do but wait. She stopped coughing and straightened up.* Bluey, baby...you okay honeychild? *She nodded and quickly walked to the sink, running her hands under hot water as though she were trying to wash something away*
Bluephisto: I'm fine...I'm okay, just a little coughing.
The Fly: You sure?
Bluephisto: Yeah, yeah. I'm okay, really, really.
*She turned back to him and he hugged her tightly. She scared him this time, the coughing was much worse than before.*
Bluephisto: Honey, you're crushing me...
The Fly: Oh, sorry baby!! *He relaxed his grip on her a little. She was smiling again and some of his fear subsided.*
Bluephisto: I'm fine.
The Fly: Okay, okay. *She stood on her toes and kissed him on the forehead before she turned to get a glass of water*
Bluephisto: Oh...A postcard came from Fishy today!
The Fly: No kidding! Where are they now?
Bluephisto: China, believe it or not.
The Fly: Wow...look out great wall...Fishy's gonna knock it over some how I just know it.
Bluephisto: *Laughing* Hey! She's not that clumsy! *She looks at the card on the table and laughs* Well, she did say that she broke a vase in a museum, but the wall is safe, I'm sure.
The Fly: Adam 'll keep her out of trouble.
Bluephisto: Yeah... *She drank her water, leaning against the counter. She hadn't seen Adam in what seemed like a very long time*
The Fly: No postcards from anyone else?
Bluephisto: Nope.
*Her mind wandered to Bona and Larry in Italy. They were probably having a great time. A part of her that she didn't quite remember missed Bona. She almost called her once late at night, but didn't dial the last number. They were due to end their trip any day now...*
The Fly: What're you thinking about gorgeous?
Bluephisto: Oh, just Bona and Larry. I wonder how he's coping with the whole devil thing.
The Fly: Lar's a tough bastard, he can take it. Man, once on stage, I accidently kicked the mic stand into the drum kit....he just kept going. Man of steel that guy, I paid for it after the set, but it was funny at the time. I laughed so hard I fucked up the song...but damn, that was funny...*He breaks from his memory and walks back to Bluephisto, smiling* You hungry?
Bluephisto: I could stand to eat something, yes.
The Fly: Well, in that case. Let me make you lunch!
Bluephisto: Really!?
The Fly: Yeah! *He picked up the phone and grinned at her ordered chinese food. He told her that he tried to cook once but that he burned his whole kitchen down and he hadn't dared to turn the oven on again since. He called his phone in the kitchen "the stove". As he talked on the phone, Bluephisto's thoughts wander from Bona and Larry to Macphisto. She was still angry at him of course, but she was worried...he never picked up his phone. Not once in two weeks. She had called, telling herself that she just wanted to make sure he was still there, that she would hang up when she heard him answer...but he never did. She wondered where he had gone. The Fly hung up and hugged her again, he just couldn't keep his hands off of her.*
The Fly: So...lunch will be here in fourty five minutes. *She smiled up at him innocently, as she slid her hands around his waist just above his boxers. She could feel him melt at her touch,*
Bluephisto: If only there was something we could do for forty-five minutes...
The Fly:*Breathlessly* If only... *He bent down to kiss her again and she scurried past him to the huge t.v. room, giggling*
Bluephisto: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!
*The Fly groaned and he hung his head back as he laughed and followed her into the comfortable room. She was sitting on the floor looking up at the television when he began to kiss her ankles and worked his way up her long legs. He unbuttoned the dress shirt and kissed up her torso and chest and neck and finally reached her lips, muffling her laughter with his lips...The poor delivery guy had to come back, twice.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-19-2001).]

*There hadn't been a sound from the room in two weeks. Bono hadn't moved from his post, and aside from the conversation with The Father, who had dissapeared long ago, the room was dead. The angel was worried...he knew that Macphisto was still alive, still breathing, but he wouldn't have known that had he not been an angel. Even for Macphisto, he was taking the news of Bluey's marriage hard.
The phone rang at least once everyday, and although it was within reach, Macphisto just stared at it, unwilling to answer. He would be crushed if it wasn't her, as he imagined it was, calling to apologize, to beg his forgiveness, to tell him how worried she was, and how unhappy she was without him...mind you, if she really felt that way, she would have come down here by now. At the same time, he didn't know if he could face her if he picked up and heard her voice.
The worst part was knowing that he hadn't slept with Bona, he had no intention of doing so for the first time in three thousand years. Part of him wished that he had, just so that he could feel guilty, blame himself, and then get over it...but the knowledge that he was actually innocent this time blistered his thoughts. At first, he didn't know who to blame... But now he was angry...at Bona. If it wasn't for her foolish, selfish lie, Bluey would still be here. It was hardly a rational explanation, but after being isolated in his grief for two weeks, it was the only way he could begin to wrap his mind around loosing the love of his life...for no reason.
There was a knock at the door. Bono had finally lost his patience.*

Bono: Mac...I know you're in there. Won't you come out for a while? *There was no answer* Mac, look...you've been in there alone for two weeks, you can't stay in there forever. *There was still no response. Bono paced for a second and ran his hand through his long hair before he stepped up to the door with some hard truth* Look. This is ridiculous. I know what you're doing. You're trying to stay in there until you feel better about all this but the truth is Mac that you're never going to feel better about this. Never. I can sense what you've been feeling, I know what happened and it breaks my heart too...but you can't wait for this feeling to just go away someday because it won't! I'm sorry, but it won't, so you might as well just come out here and at least talk to-
*The door creaked as it opened and Bono stopped in mid sentance as Macphisto looked out at him. He looked miserable, shadows pooled in his eyes and his mouth was a thin, bitter line. Bono softened and smiled at him carefully, at least he wasn't alone now.*
Macphisto: *In a raspy voice* You're right, you're right young man...*With slow hands he pulled a cigar out of his jacket and lit it, inhaling deeply and looking at the ground.* I suppose...you've been left behind to watch me, to make sure I don't do anything...rash is that it?
Bono: *He can not think of a way around the truth* Well, yes. I'm glad to see you're out.
*Macphisto shrugged non-commitally and walked down the hall slowly, still looking at the floor. Bono followed him as he went upstairs back to the ballroom, which was still arranged for the reception. He collapsed on a couch near the cold, dark fireplace and smoked with dull eyes.*
Bono: Hey, would you like a drink? *Macphisto didn't respond* Oookay, I'll just surprise you. *Bono wandered down to the wine cellar to find Macphisto a bottle of something to cheer him up a little. Macphisto looked at the couch he sat on. This was where she had met The Fly in the first place...he remembered her placing a drink on the table in front of him, standing by the fireplace beside him, and kissing The Fly to make him angry at the head table just a few feet away. Everything in this house had been turned into a monument to her...everything had ghosts. He sighed and found a bottle of scotch (probably one of The Fly's) under the couch and stood up, twisted the cap off and poured the liquor all over the priceless sofa. He threw the empty bottle into the dead fireplace, breaking it and lit a match, tossing it casually onto the scotch soaked couch...The sofa soon became an inferno that spread to the tables and the chairs beside it. Macphisto tilted his head and walked away from the blaze slowly, still looking at the ground. Bono returned and dropped the bottle of wine.*
Bono: MAC!!!! OH MY GOD!!! *His jaw dropped at the blaze behind the numb demon, and he waved his hand, extinguishing the flames. He shook his head at the charred, smoking furniture and stopped Mac in his tracks, almost shouting at him.*
Bono: What in God's name did you do?
Macphisto: I need to redecorate, excuse me.
Bono: No! Listen to me! *He took the demon by the arms and dragged him into his office, sitting him down at the desk and slamming the bottle of wine down in front of him* You have to stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself, yeah it's sad that she left, but nothing's impossible...
Macphisto: *Dully* Oh, I'm sorry Bono...I had no idea that the love of your life told you she hates you and then married another man just to spite you. No idea at all. Why don't you tell me that story? I'd love to hear it...
*The phone rang. Macphisto just looked at it. Bono picked the whole phone up and set it in front of him*
Bono: If you don't start answering your phone, I will and I'll just hand it to you. Your choice.
Macphisto: Fine, fine...
*Macphisto sighed and picked up the reciever...He swallowed, what if it was her?*
Macphisto: *Wearily*Hello?
Bona: Mackie! I've been trying to get a hold of you for days! How are- *CLICK*
*Macphisto slammed the reciever down, hanging up on her, fuming. He looked at Bono and shoved the phone away.*
Macphisto: I said I'd pick up, I didn't say I would talk.
*Bono rolled his eyes. He hated being this rough with someone in so much grief, but Macphisto really needed to get himself together. The phone rang again and Bono gestured to it. Macphisto sighed, it was probably Bona phoning back. He ripped the reciever from the cradle, angry*
Macphisto: What do you WANT!? *There was a gasp but no voice...he softened* Hello?..*All he could hear was breathing that turned into a quiet cough. His eyes widened* Bluey? Darling? Is that you? *The coughing continued and Macphisto stood up behind the desk, concerned...He heard the clatter of the phone being set on a counter or something, and The Fly's voice in the background, "Baby, are you okay? Who's on the phone?" ... the line went dead.* Hello? *Macphisto hung up the phone gently. He didn't know whether to smile or cry. She was sick, and she had called him...*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-20-2001).]

LMAO I can't read this! The horn rubbing was enough!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization

97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" ~Echo~

The Latin Americans have the sexy end[of Catholicism]~BonoBaby~

"Aren't you afraid someone will eat your foot???" ~ScottPhisto~

*Bluephisto hung the phone up, coughing. The Fly smoothed her chin length black hair from her face and held her as she coughed, covering her mouth with her hands.*
The Fly: Honey, you're scaring me...do you need a drink?
*She nodded and he quickly got her a glass of water, still warm from the tap. She accepted it and drank, the coughing calmed and she walked to the sink.*
The Fly: Baby...is everything alright?
Bluephisto: Yes...everything is fine, just fine sweetheart.
*He softened, he loved being called sweetheart. Unknownst to him, she was washing blood off of her palms. She coughed up blood this morning too, and rinsed it away, terrified...she just didn't want him to know. He was so happy. At least she knew Mackie was still alive, if he had killed himself because she left like she did, she wouldn't be able to live with the guilt. She knew he would never do anything so stupid, but she had begun to wonder when she called and called and he never picked up. If she hadn't started coughing, she was going to talk to him...just to say hello. When he said her name, her eyes teared up...she didn't expect that. The Fly wrapped his warm arms around her and kissed her cheek, all the blood was gone from her hands again.*
The Fly: Baby...maybe you should rest.
Bluephisto: I am a little tired, I think I'll just go take a nap.
*She turned slowly to face him, his blue eyes shone in the sunlight and he smiled mischeviously.*
The Fly: I'll crawl in with ya...I know you hate to sleep alone.
Bluephisto: I do?
The Fly: Oh. Right. That was before you forgot...yeah, you had nightmares when you slept alone, worked out good for me!
Bluephisto: Why did I have nightmares?
The Fly: *Lying* Hmmm, dunno baby. You never really told me.
Bluephisto: No?
The Fly: *Kissing her gently* No.
Bluephisto: Fly...do you think it had something to do with that "Screwtape" guy?
The Fly: *He scrambled for a cover, but couldn't think of anything* I dunno angel, maybe.
Bluephisto: Fly? Was I ever a devil?
The Fly: For a little while, yeah. You were a temptress for a bit.
Bluephisto: Like Larry?
The Fly: Yeah... but prettier.*She laughs* Lots prettier...I mean I never wanted to kiss Larry *He kisses Bluey* Or pick him up and carry him to bed *He bends down and picks his wife up in his arms and carries her upstairs, and tucks her in, lying beside her on top of the covers.* Hey, baby...who were you talking to on the phone?
Bluephisto: Wrong number.
The Fly: I didn't know the phone rang.
Bluephisto: I dialed the wrong number...
The Fly: Oh, okay...were you thinking of calling Bona?
Bluephisto: Yeah...yeah. *She kisses her husband on the nose and snuggles into his arms* Fly?
The Fly: Yeah babe?
Bluephisto: When I'm feeling better, maybe we could go to Italy...
The Fly: Oh yeah! We could go eat pizza and push the tower of Pisa all the way over!!! Hell, let's just- *He looked down, she was already sleeping in his arms, exhausted after a morning* Poor honey, you're so tired aren't you?
*The Fly smoothed Bluey's black hair and felt her breathing slow to a slumbering pace, his hand moved up and down as she inhaled and exhaled, like a boat moved on the waves of the ocean. He'd love to take her to Italy when she felt better...if she felt better. He stared at her flawless, bone white face...there was a fleck of red by her lip. He wiped it with his finger and it smeared in a sickeningly familliar way...it was blood. The Fly froze...Bluey was coughing up blood in the kitchen, and washed it off her hands. That was the real reason, he realized, that she wanted to honeymoon here...she was too sick to go anywhere else.*
The Fly:*Whispering and smoothing her hair with shaking hands as he begins to cry* Oh baby... why didn't you tell me? *Their honeymoon was over before it really even began*

*Macphisto set the phone down gently*
Bono: It was her...
Macphisto: *Sitting down* Yes... *A million impulses flood through his previously numb brain...He wants to see her, he wants to move far away, he wants to hug Bono, he wants to cry...He sighs and rests his head in his hands*
Bono: What do you want to do?
Macphisto: I don't know...I don't know...
*He stands up from his desk and paces, lighting a cigar and looking out the window.* I know where she his...she's at his house.
Bono: You're not going there are you?
Macphisto: No...*He stopped pacing* No. No matter how many times she calls without speaking, she still married him, and she would never see me now. She's far too...*He looks at the floor* loyal.
*The word hangs in the air like the cigar smoke*
Bono: Do you want me to talk to her?
Macphisto: Can you sense her from here?
Bono: *Reluctantly* Yes.
Macphisto: *He leans against the window, peering out through the stained glass* What is she doing, right now?
Bono: Mac, I don't think I should -
Macphisto: *He turns and looks like he's about to cry* She was ill, she was... coughing on the phone, she couldn't even speak. *He turns back to the window and smokes deeply, sighing* Please, just tell me...
Bono: She's sleeping.
Macphisto: Sleeping?
Bono: Yes.
Macphisto: *His voice is barely a whisper* How sick is she?
Bono: She's going downhill pretty fast.
*Macphisto runs a shaking hand through his wavy black hair*
Macphisto: Tell me when she wakes up...
Bono: Sure.
*Macphisto stands like that, staring out the impossibly opaque fragments of the stained glass window in his office toward the ocean, for hours... facing her like a mecca that he dare not approach. Back in her bed, Bluephisto dreams of Macphisto standing at a window.*

*Macphisto sighed and picked up the reciever...He swallowed, what if it was her?*
Macphisto: *Wearily* Hello?
Bona: Mackie! I've been trying to get a hold of you for days! How are- *CLICK*

*Bona slowly put the reciever down, jaw open in shock. She turned around slowly and Larry walked into the room*
Larry: What's wrong?
Bona: He hung up on me... I can't believe it...
Larry: Who hung up on you?
Bona: Mackie...
Larry: You called Mac?
Bona: Yeah... I had to apologize.
Larry: Apologize?
Bona: Lars, this is all my fault. Bluey's marriage, Mackie's depression, the whole bleedin' thing is my fault. If I hadn't been so rash when we were fighting...
*She starts to cry and Larry walks up to her, kissing her forehead and wrapping his arms around her, pulling her into his chest.*
Larry: No, no, no... this isn't your fault.
Bona: Yes it is...
*Hours later, Bona is rummaging through her closets.*
Larry: Lose something?
Bona: Yeah... I think I left some stuff at Mackie's. I'm going to look there, okay? Besides, I'm really worried about him and if I don't talk to him I won't be able to sleep tonight.
Larry: Okay, just be careful.
Bona: I will.
*She kisses him and leaves, heading for Mackie's place. When she arrives, she looks up and notices a set of curtains shut forcefully from an upstairs window. She sighs with guilt and starts making her way toward the front door when it opens and Bono steps out.*
Bono: *embracing her* Bona! Hi.
Bona: Hi, Bono. *she kisses him* How are you?
Bono: Worried...
Bona: That's why I came.
Bono: I don't think it's a good idea for you to see him right now...
Bona: I have to at least apologize. If I don't I won't be able to sleep... This is all my fault.
*She rushes inside and Bono turns to go after her. Bona runs up to MacPhisto's office and knocks.*
MacPhisto: Who's there?
Bona: Mackie, it's me.
MacPhisto: Get out.
Bona: Mac... please.
MacPhisto: Get the fuck out.
Bona: Mackie... I want to tell you that I'm sorry...
*A pause and then the door opens. MacPhisto is trembling and he lights a cigar, blowing the smoke into her face.*
MacPhisto: Oh. You're sorry?! That's nice. You ruin my life and now you're sorry.
Bona: Mackie, I was rash. I said what I said because I was upset and Larry was---
MacPhisto: Suddenly you're concerned about Larry? *sarcastically* I thought you were sleeping with me.
Bona: That's not what I said, Mac.
MacPhisto: Then what did you say?
Bona: Larry and I were arguing. He told me that his being a devil was all my fault and that if he never met me he wouldn't be going through this... so I told him that if I hadn't met him I'd still be able to say that I was sleeping with you...
MacPhisto: Trying to make your own husband jealous.
Bona: Yes. I was out of control...
MacPhisto: I see.
Bona: Mackie, this is all my fault.
MacPhisto: Finally we agree on something.
*There is a pause when tears start to stream down Bona's face and she sits. She looks up and sees MacPhisto pounding a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey. He finishes the bottle and reaches for another.*
Bona: My God, Mackie... she really hurt you didn't she?
MacPhisto: I've never felt pain like this before.
Bona: Worse than even Hell?
MacPhisto: Unimaginably. The Father won what he wanted.
Bona: But you and I... we never...
MacPhisto: *shouting* THAT'S WHAT'S KILLING ME!!! I didn't do anything!!
Bona: Mac, she hates me as much as she hates you. Being hated for no reason---
MacPhisto: You never loved her.
Bona: She was my best friend!
MacPhisto: You didn't love her like I did. Bona... for once I was innocent. For the first time in three-thousand years I'm innocent and she walks out on me, marrying HIM just to spite me.
Bona: Mr. MacPhisto, I'm sorry. Please forgive me... I'm sorry...
MacPhisto: For the first time in three thousand years I had no intention of even touching you. Now I wish I had fucked you just so I could feel guilty and get over it... but she hates me now. And I'm innocent.
*MacPhisto sits on the couch next to Bona and sobs hard. Bona had never seen him like this.*
Bona: *noting the wrinkled suit and the smell* Mackie, have you even changed your clothes in these past 3 weeks?
MacPhisto: No. I've had no reason to.
Bona: My God, Mackie...
*She starts to rub his back and hands him a tissue. He accepts and makes no effort to move away from her consoling gestures.*
Bona: I'm so sorry, Mac.
MacPhisto: *after a pause and a sigh* Consider yourself forgiven.
Bona: You mean that?
MacPhisto: Yes. I mean it. The worst part of it is that she's dying...
Bona: I know, darling. I know.
MacPhisto: ...and I don't know that I'll ever see her again.
Bona: You will...
*Bona sat with him, talking and consoling him for hours, though he was so shaken her efforts seemed wasted. Finally, she rose and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Upon exiting the room, she spotted Bono*
Bona: Bono...
*He turned and Bona approached him. He'd forgotten how beautiful she was... He sensed her worry over MacPhisto and unable to stop himself, took her into his arms.*
Bono: I'll take care of him, I promise.
Bona: Please do...
Bono: So is everything taken care of?
Bona: Yes, I believe MacPhisto and I are on good terms again...
Bono: That's good.
Bona: I can't believe Bluey did this to him!! And for no reason!!
Bona: *in efforts to sidetrack her anger he changes the subject.* How have you been feeling?
Bona: Okay... getting more tired, the appitite's increasing.
Bono: I bet...
Joshua: Bono!!
Bono: Hi, Josh.
Joshua: That guy in there... will he get better?
Bono: I don't know, Josh.
Joshua: Will you take care of him?
Bono: Yes.
Joshua: Good...
Bona: Well I should get back home before Larry starts to wonder. He's getting more and more cynical and suspicious lately...
Bono: It's starting to take hold of him then?
Bona: Yes. But he refuses to be healed until he can't hear the baby anymore.
Bono: What a dedicated father...
Bona: I suppose I'm lucky there, right?
Bono: You bet. You should get back.
Bona: Yes. Take care of Mackie, Bono.
Bono: I will.
*He walks her out to her car and gives her a kiss on the cheek, letting it linger a bit longer than it needs to and she pulls away, getting into her car. She waves as she pulls out and Bono stands on the front stoop, watching until she disappears and heading back into the house, wondering why his love was starting to resurface.*

*The next morning, Larry is in the kitchen and the phone rings.*
Larry: *picking up* Hello?...Yes, she's right here.
*He hands the reciever to Bona.*
Bona: Hello?... *her face falls and hardens* Hi, Bluey...

*Bluephisto wakes up slowly alone and walks down to the kitchen, where her husband stands, fully dressed in his leather and shades, staring at the ocean.*
Bluephisto: Fly?
The Fly: *Turning, but not hugging her. He is more serious than usual.*Hey, baby...how are you feeling?
Bluephisto: *Smiling* Okay...wow, how long was I out for?
The Fly: A couple of hours, beautiful...*He plays with the strands of hair around her face for a second and then clasps her to him. His unsmiling face worries her.*
Bluephisto: Fly, what's wrong? *He doesn't answer her right away, he just holds her and puts his head on her thin shoulder.*
The Fly: Baby...why'd you lie to me?
*Bluephisto closes her eyes and rests her head against his chest...He knows about the phone call*
Bluephisto: I'm sorry.
The Fly: How long has it been going on?
Bluephisto: Since we got here, about once a day.
The Fly: What!? *He takes her by the arms gently looks down at her shocked...She's been coughing up blood for two weeks!?* Why didn't you tell me!?
Bluephisto: I didn't think you'd understand, I'm really sorry, I didn't think it was a big deal!
The Fly: Bluey, baby! I can't think of a bigger deal! Sugar...I didn't think it would happen so soon.
Bluephisto: *Guilty*I just wanted to make sure that he was okay.
The Fly: *Confused* What?
Bluephisto: I thought maybe he'd killed himself or something awful and it was eating me up just thinking about it so I started to call just to check up on him.
The Fly: Bluey, baby, what are you talking about?
Bluephisto: *Bewildered* Calling Mackie- I mean, Macphisto...What are you talking about?
The Fly: The fact that you've been coughing up blood and hiding it from me.*There is a heavy silence between them* You called him? For two weeks?
Bluephisto: Yes, but he never picked up until today and I hung up without saying anything. *The Fly steps towards her and she can't read his face behind the glasses. She speaks quickly, flustered* You know I don't want to see him, you know that! I just... I felt guilty, and responsible. I thought maybe he had gone and *She gestures sadly, choked up* killed himself and I just wanted to know that he wasn't dead! That's all. I promise...I just didn't tell you because I was afraid you'd misunderstand and...
The Fly: Okay, whatever, how long have you been coughing up blood?
Bluephisto: *Startled* Only today, just this morning.
The Fly: Are you serious baby? Just today?
Bluephisto: Yes...I didn't want to talk about it. I'm sorry. *He takes his shades off, and looks at her earestly with startling blue eyes, searching for any deception. She's never been looked at like this before and she realizes how horrible it is to lose someone's trust.* Fly, I'm not lying, I swear! Just today, this morning, I didn't know how to tell you...I didn't want to show you my hands, they were disgusting. *He looks at her hard*
The Fly: Baby...You can call whoever the Hell you want. I mean, fine, go ahead go see him yourself if you want to, if it would make you feel better. I really don't care. But *He clenches his famous jaw and gestures with his shades* don't lie to me about coughing up blood! Damn! You have no idea how scared I was, how fucking terrified I was when I thought your lungs were tearing up since we got here...*He tosses his shades on the counter and cradles her narrow chin in his large hands* Baby, lie to me. Go ahead. Lie to me about Mac, about what you're thinking, about how I look or what I sound like, but don't...don't lie to me about how long you're going to be around.
Bluephisto: *Her eyes are stung with tears* Okay. I'm sorry. I promise. *He can't help it, he starts to cry. She stands on her toes and kisses his face immediately, holding him close to her and rubbing his back* Honey, it will be okay...I promise, don't cry.
The Fly: How is it going to be fucking okay?
Bluephisto: I don't know.
The Fly: I love you baby, I just want to keep you as long as I can.
*They stand like that, holding each other in the kitchen for a long time. She can feel his tears on her shoulder. Bluephisto searches her brain for something to do...anything to distract him from thinking about her.*
Bluephisto: Hey, hey...Fly. Sweetheart.
The Fly: Yeah baby?
Bluephisto: *She straightens him up and smiles at him, wiping his tears off with her hand* I think it's my turn to show you something fun, okay?
The Fly: *Sniffling, but smiling a little* Okay...

*Bluephisto holds the large kitchen knife between her fingers gingerly and then hurls it at the wall. The blade rips through the centre of the dart board on the other side of the garage, almost cutting it in half.
The Fly: Baby...that was the coolest thing I've ever seen!
Bluephisto Well, actually...it was a little heavy, it should have landed an inch up...I must be losing my touch.
The Fly: Do it again!
Bluephisto: *She takes another Ginsu knife and plants it an inch above the previous on* Ah, better. *The Fly takes his shades off, amazed.* Do you want to learn?
The Fly:Ummm, YEAH! Sign me up!
*Bluephisto removes the two knives and walks back, dropping one back into the block. She stands behind her husband and shows him how to hold it properly*
Bluephisto: There, like this yeah...Oh, no honey, you'll cut yourself like that. Hold it like this...right. Okay, I'll do it once with you, just let me move your arm and fingers okay?
*He nods and she throws the knife. It buries itself in the centre of the board about 100 feet away. The Fly's eyes widen and he mutters with a smile...*
The Fly: I have the coolest wife EVER!
Bluephisto: Okay, you keep throwing and I'm going to go make a call.
The Fly: Oh really?
Bluephisto: No, no. I'm calling Bona. It's about time I talked to her.
The Fly: Okay baby...good idea. You two should straighten things out, you used to be close.
Bluephisto: Yeah, we'll see. Keep throwing.
*She walks to the phone, taking a deep breath before she dials. She can hear knives clattering to the ground in the garage and The Fly swearing, and she smiles a little to herself. Larry picks up after two rings.*
Larry: Hello?
Bluephisto: Hi Larry. It's Bluey. Is Bona around?
Larry: Yes, she's right here.
*She hears the reciever being handed to Bona*
Bluephisto: Hi Bona it's me...Hi...Look, I've been thinking that I was a little hasty that night and I didn't listen to you at all, and I was rude. I'm sorry. I can't remember much, but I would like to talk to you and...Oh, you saw him? *Bluey's hands start to shake a little* When?...really? Oh, I see...*She starts to pour a glass of water, her mouth has gone suddenly very dry* Bona, *Bluey's voice starts to shake* how is he...doing?*Her eyes widen as Bona launches into an all out verbal attack on her* But...Bona! Bona, listen...I had EVERY reason to! He ... fine... fine... why DID you say it then?...*Bluey freezes*What? Bona! WHAT!?...Bona, don't hang up...Are you making this up?...No, I'm SORRY...Fine. Fine....*The phone goes dead, Bona hung up on her. Bluey locks the reciever back into the cradle, standing in her kitchen, shaking like a leaf. With unsteady trembling hands, she drinks her water...Bona had to be lying...if she wasn't then that meant that...that...Oh God.*Bluey walked slowly towards the window away from the sea, looking out towards where Macphisto's mansion would be if she could see so far. She stands, wavering, stunned in her black slip and leans against the glass. It began to rain outside and the sound of knives falling to the ground echoed up through the garage. She rested her head on the glass and began to cry.*

*Bona slams down the phone and rises from the table.*
Larry: Was that really necessary?
Bona: Lar, Mackie's one of my best friends. Do you realize how much it hurts me to see him like this?
Larry: Yes, but...
Bona: And you'd be the same way if it were me.
*Larry sighs*
Larry: I just think maybe you were a bit hard on her. She did call to apologize after all.
*Bona sinks back down into the chair and starts to weep. Larry sits next to her.*
Larry: It's alright...
Bona: What's happening to me? I'm becoming a complete---
Larry: You're pregnant. Everything's more dramatic, that's only natural.
Bona: I really shouldn't have...
Larry: You thought she deserved it.
Bona: She did...
*Later that night, Larry picks up the phone.*
Larry: Hello, Fly?... I'm fine, how are you doing?... Really?... I'm sorry to hear that... Well with that in mind, something has to be done about this... Yeah, well... I can't just let them go on hating each other...

*Bluephisto stands by the window, Bona's words still ringing in her head as she watches the morning rain spill down the glass*
Bluephisto:*Thinking to herself*No...no. Bona was just lying again. She has to be. I did the right thing, he deserved it, I wasn't going to let him break my heart over and over!*She bites her lip and considers a frightening possibility seriously for the first time*...But what if she's not lying? What if they really didn't sleep together?*Bluephisto dimly remembers Larry protesting in the hallway that fateful night that Bona didn't say that she and Mackie were sleeping together*...why would Larry lie?* It all falls into place now, Bona's insistence, Larry's corroberation, Macphisto's utter confusion...She sits in a black leather chair and whispers to her reflection in the weeping glass* Oh...God, he was innocent, wasn't he? *Thunder rumbled in reply. Bluephisto sat in the chair for a moment, her head began to ache as she remembered Bona's description of Macphisto's devestated state.*This is all my fault.*She jumped to her feet and ran upstairs, looking for something to wear. She ripped a small pair of The Fly's leather pants out of a drawer and a dress shirt and ran downstairs as she buttoned the shirt and wiped the tears off of her face. She slowed her pace just before the garage and took a deep breath before entering. Her husband turned and smiled at her beneath his glasses, gesturing proudly at one steak knife dangling sickly from the board in the wall*
The Fly: Hey, look! I CAN be taught! *The floor was strewn with failed, bent knives. He laughed,* Guess I still need some practice huh? Hey...why're ya dressed sugar? *He smirks and runs a hand down her side* I liked the slip!
Bluephisto: I bet you did! *She kissed her husband warmly. Marrying him was no mistake...she loved him dearly.* I just feel like going out for a while, maybe taking a drive. I want to get a postcard to send to Fishy and Adam, you know, just catch up on things I should have done a while ago. *The Fly pretends to pout and smiles. Knife throwing has put him in a cheerful, locquacious mood and he blabbles on at a mile a minute.*
The Fly: Do ya mean to say that after 3 weeks of being around me twenty four hours a day, you want time alone!? How dare you! I thought ya loved me baby! *He laughs* I'm actually just amazed you haven't divorced me by now, honeychild! Sometimes I can't stand me for a day straight, and here you are doing it willingly... does you family have a history of the crazies?? Or are you just into self inflicted pain?...cause I'm into leather...R-r-r-r-r-row! *She laughs and kisses him again, laughing at him like this, she looks healthier than she has in a while which makes him smile even more.*
Bluephisto: Neither, you silly boy...we'll talk about the leather later. *She grabs a set of keys to a jaguar from the wall* I'll be back in a little while, I promise.
The Fly: Alright, baby...just promise not to drive like me, okay? I don't think the world could handle it.
Bluephisto: I promise. I love you. *She climbs into the car and opens the garage door, waving at The Fly who runs after the car as she drives away, yelling and laughing...*
The Fly: Don't forget me babaaaaay! WOOOOOO!THAT BABE IN THE CAR IS MYYYY WIFE!!! YEAH!!!
*He watched her drive into the rain and stood there smiling. It was good for her to get out for a little while and besides, it gave him time to prepare a surprise for her...He half ran, half danced back inside the house.*

*Bluephisto sped down the highway, the rain on the windshield bringing somber thoughts back to her mind...She couldn't just let him do this to himself, it was too cruel. She had to find out for herself what had happened. The windsheild wipers became a metronome for the song blaring from the Fly's perpetually loud radio...*
The circus is fallin'down on it's knees,
the big top is crumbling down.
It's raining in Balitmore fifty miles east,
where you should be, no one's around.
I need a phone call,
I need a raincoat,
I need a big love,
I need a phone call...

*She replays that last night in her head...The overheard fight, running off with The Fly to a small chapel, returning, Bona's protests, and...the most of all...the look on Macphisto's face when he realized what she had done. That was not the look of a guilty man being caught...it was the look of an innocent man hearing his death sentance. She replays it again and again: the words, the revenge, the look on his face. The words, the revenge, the look on his face, the look on his face. The song continues..*
There's things I remember,
Things I forget,
I miss you, I guess that I should.
Three thousand five hundred miles away,
what would you change if you could?

*When she finally arrives at the end of the long private road, she discovers that the gates have been left carelessly open and she drives through it, up to the door. None of the curtains move an inch at her arrival. She shuts the car off and climbs out. The rain is coming down so hard that she is soaked by the time she reaches the door and knocks. Bono opens the door, looking as surprised as an angel can to see her there in the rain.*
Bluephisto: Bono...hi.
Bono: Hi...*He blinks a couple of times. Even in the three weeks that have passed, she has grown thinner and paler than she was. She is wrapped in a large black leather coat ... covering what are obviously The Fly's clothes, the cuffs of the pants and shirt are rolled up to reveal fragile looking ankles and wrists. Her marvellous eyes are red, she has evidently been crying recently and she shivers in the downpour.* Come in. *Bono takes her coat and hugs her warmly, noting that she has lost a lot of strength.*
Bluephisto: *Looking around and keeping her voice down to a whisper* Bona called me. *Bono could sense her guilt and concern* How is he?
Bono: He's...been quite upset.
Bluephisto: I came, I have to talk to him...I think I made a mistake. *He nods slowly* You know?
Bono:*Gently* Yes. He's not lying. He didn't sleep with her, he had no intention of sleeping with her. *Bluephisto wavers as though she may fall and Bono wraps an arm around her, to steady her.*
Bluephisto: Oh God...*She rakes a hand through her wet black hair and looks around again* I have to see him.
Bono: Well, he's asleep right now.
Bluephisto: Asleep!?
Bono: Yes. He was exhausted, so I put him to sleep for a while. A few days at least. He's out like a light right now.
Bluephisto: He was that bad was he?
Bono: I can't keep up with him. I'm repairing the bloody house as fast as he's destroying it. *Her face darkens*.
Bluephisto: Can I see him?
Bono: Oh, I dunno if you should...
Bluephisto: Please, Bono. I need to straighten this out with him. Today. I don't want him to get any worse because of ...me.
Bono: Alright, follow me.
*He leads her through the main hallway. She is shocked by the sheer volume of empty liquor bottles strewn about.*
Bluephisto: Where are all the servants?
Bono: He fired everyone after you left. Everyone. He didn't even want me to stay.
*He opens a door onto a dark bedroom. More liquor bottles lay gutted on the carpet, the velvet drapes are pulled so tightly closed that she has trouble finding the bed in the gloom until Bono lights a candle on the wall above the bed. Macphisto lies sleeping under the dark covers...he looks aweful. His black hair is dishevled, his clothes are wrinkled, and there are still fresh tear tracks through his makeup. One hand is closed around the neck of an empty bottle of scotch. Bluephisto walks slowly to the bed, horrified. She looks at Bono, shocked.*
Bono: He looks better right now than he has in a while actually...don't worry. You could shoot him with a gun right now and he wouldn't wake up...he's out. He won't wake up until I wake him, and he won't remember a thing.
*She sits gingerly on the edge of the bed, examining his wrinkled suit that he's been wearing since she left, and his dark puffy eyes*
Bluephisto: Oh...darling. *She starts to cry and touches the shoulder of his suit lightly* look what I've done to you. *She pushes a lock of black hair off of his unconscious forehead, wiping her tears away with her other hand* Oh, Bono...I had no...I didn't think he'd be this..What have I done?
Bono: Bluey...it's okay.
Bluephisto: No...it's not okay Bono. Look at him. God. He must hate me.
Bono: No. All he's talked about is how much he wants to see you again, he's afraid you'll die before he -
*Bluephisto can't hold her tears back at this and she buries her face into the pillow next to Macphisto, sobbing. Bono is concerned and touches her shoulder, trying to comfort her, but she pushes him away. Bluey lies on the bed next to the wrecked Macphisto, staring at his sad face and smoothing his dark hair for a while. Finally, she sighs...*
Bluephisto: Bono, don't ever tell him I came.
Bono: But he wants to see you more than-
Bluephisto: I know, but...LOOK! Look what's happened to him since he met me. I can't put him through this any more. He can never see me again...besides, I'm married. Married. What could I do that would ever make him happy again? Nothing. Seeing me would just make him unhappier than he is... I wonder if I ever really made him happy at all, or if I just damaged him like this.
Bono: Bluey, he loves you so much...
*Bluey starts to cry again.*
Bluephisto: I know...And I've been so stupid. *She touches his cheek lightly* I can't keep hurting him everytime he sees me, I won't. It's better if he just forgets me.
Bono: Bluey...
Bluephisto: Bono, please. Just promise you won't tell him I came here, I shouldn't have come. Jesus...I'm MARRIED now. Do you really think seeing me with this ring on my finger would make him happy?
Bono: Okay. Okay fine. I won't bring it up.
Bluephisto: Thank you, I'm sorry Bono.
Bono: It's alright.
*Bluephisto just lays there for a while, looking at poor Macphisto. She gently takes the liquor bottle from him and kisses him on the forehead, crying. Her tears fall in his hair.*
Bluephisto: I'm so sorry Mackie...I'm so sorry. *She kisses his cheek and walks out crying. Bono walks her to her car and hugs her before she climbs in, at this point, she barely looks better than Macphisto himself.*
Bluephisto: Please take care of him for me... I should just stay away from him for now on.
Bono: Well... maybe that's best for the time being. Take care of yourself Bluey, please.
Bluephisto: Yeah...yeah...I will. Thanks Bono.
Bono: Anytime.
*She closes the door and drives away, wiping the tears off as she speeds back to her house, stopping only to buy a few postcards to send to Fishy and Adam. When she arrives she has made herself calmer and no one can tell she's been crying, not even The Fly who meets her at the door with a smile.*
The Fly: Baaaaaby! You made it home!
*She throws her arms around him and kisses him many times, grateful to be home with him. Everything here is so simple and warm, it makes the darkness and gloom of the mansion seem like a nightmare.*
Bluephisto: I love you so much.
The Fly: Yeah...who could blame ya? I mean LOOK at me baby! *He looks at her with a smirk* Hey, I got a surprise for you.
Bluephisto: *Feeling very unworthy of a surprise right now* Oh, really? For me? I don't deserve one...
The Fly: Awww, sure you do. You're a sweet girl, I've always thought so....*He takes her hand in one of his and covers her eyes with his other hand, leading her upstairs. Soon she steps up and feels dirt under her feet. The Fly removes his hand from her eyes and she gasps...He cleared out his library and has covered the entire floor with two feet of dirt. The room is lit up like noon in July by many lamps and spotlights, and strawberry plants grow from the fresh soil. Some of the plants already bear fruit. Lining the walls are many sculptures of angels, large, small and of all possible mediums. She looks around, stunned*
Bluephisto: Fly! What did you do!?
The Fly: Well, you love strawberries, remember? You said once that you could eat an entire garden of them and the weather here is too crappy to grow them...so I made you one in here.
*She looks around, smiling and speechless*
Bluephisto: You covered your library in dirt!?
The Fly: Well, I wasn't using it that much.
Bluephisto: And the angels!
The Fly: Yeah...I've been ordering them for a while, since I met you. They reminded me of you and now I thought they could remind you of where you came from...*He takes his glasses off and hugs her from behind, kissing her cheek. She is still speechless.* Do ya like it baby? *She turns and kisses him for a long long time, all her previous anxiety dissolving like snow in a warm rain*
Bluephisto: Thank you...it was just what I needed.

*Several days later, Macphisto wakes up at the Mansion with no idea Bluephisto had ever returned*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-23-2001).]

*Bluephisto sat at her kitchen table the next morning, wearing a large white robe. She held Fishy's postcard in one hand and a pen in the other. She was glad Fishy was so happy with Adam, it was nice to see one Angel-Phisto romance work out...but she never had any doubts about those two, Fishy was a very sweet girl and a good friend.She tapped the pen on the glass table, smiling...maybe those two would get married someday, she'd love to be the bridesmaid for that one. The pen stopped tapping, she realized that unless they got married in the next couple of months...she wouldn't be around to see it. She felt a warm, wet, stubbly kiss on her neck...*
The Fly: Hey there gorgeous...you come here often?
Bluephisto: *Smiling and playing along* No, sorry...I try to stay out of rock star kitchens...you know what raging prima donnas they can be. Especially those Irish ones...terrible.
The Fly: *leaning on a small leapord print kitchen chair, trying to look suave in pajama pants and stubble...and succeeding to an unnerving degree* Well, I have to say...you're the prettiest girl I've had in here for a couple of days. *He winks at her*You wanna go upstairs baby?
Bluephisto: Sorry. I'm married...
*The Fly clutches his heart and keels over in mock anguish, smiling...He spills a cup of coffee all over the table in the process and falls off of the table at her feet.*
The Fly: Look at me, I'm at your feet baby! Wanna marry me?
Bluephisto: *She smiles warmly, pushing her hair behind her ears and looks down at the silly rock star on the kitchen floor* Sure, why not? I've got nothing better to do today. *He reaches up and pulls her out of her chair on top of him on the kitchen floor, holding her close to him. He talks to her like this is the world's most normal way to have a conversation in the morning*
The Fly: So, you have no plans for today?
Bluephisto: No...not so far. Why?
The Fly: I thought maybe we could go in the boat for a while.
Bluephisto: You have a boat!?
The Fly: Yeah...just a little yacht. I kinda forgot about it, but I saw it this morning and thought that we could take a drive in it.
Bluephisto: Can you drive a boat?
The Fly: Yeah baby, I've done it lots!
Bluephisto: No no, I mean...don't you sail a boat?
The Fly: Sail, drive...whatever grammar girl! So, you wanna?
Bluephisto: *She smiles down at him from her place on his chest* Yes! I'd love to. *Her eyes narrow mischeviously and she runs a finger across the cleft in his chin*I don't think I've ever really driven a boat before...
The Fly: Woman! If I had known that you'd be such a smart ass ... I would have married you sooner! *He kisses her playfully and looks up at her pale face* Hey, I was thinking...Bona and Larry are back right?
Bluephisto: Yes.
The Fly: Well, maybe we could give 'em a call, bring 'em along or something... Larry's all sort of fun on a boat, he hates water, can't swim at ALL...*He laughs* it's like having a large, pissy house cat on a boat!
Bluephisto: I don't think so.
The Fly: You and Bona not gettin' along?
Bluephisto: *Her pale forehead creases as she frowns* No. She screamed at me on the phone for fifteen minutes yesterday morning.
The Fly: She yelled at you?
Bluephisto: Yes...she called me a selfish bitch and then blamed everything on me.
The Fly: Oh... No kidding baby. That's pretty harsh. But, she's pregnant and all crazy right now. *He smiles* She'd have to be crazy to say that to you. *Bluephisto smiles back a little*. She's having mood swings and is probably dying to see you right now, and you know how she is normally, I mean can you imagine when she's all loopy on hormones and shit...Larry, that poor bastard.
Bluephisto: I know... I just don't feel like seeing her, right now...if ever again. *She looks into his eyes shyly* You don't think I'm selfish?
The Fly: *His brilliant blue eyes crinkle as he smiles up at her sombre, pretty face* Awww, baby ...not a chance in the world...like I said, she's Anne-Heche-loco right now, the only reason I said anything at all was Larry phoned me last night, and he was worried about her and you and her being all psycho-preggers and all. That's all...we don't have to see them ever again.
*She's keeping it in, but he can tell from her clenched jaw and averted eyes that she's really angry with Bona, he had no idea that Bona had yelled at her. He strokes her cheek with his hand, and sighs...he still can't believe his luck. Her dark hair brushes his bare chest as she gazes out the large window at the unusually calm sea and he kisses the top of her head...after all she's done for Bona, often putting herself in harm's way...he can't believe she called her selfish. Some people.*
Bluephisto: Fly?
The Fly: Yeah baby?
Bluephisto: I'm really happy here.
The Fly: Good... I have that and my little red wagon.
*She rests her face against his chest, listening to his heart. They lie like that, quiet and happy until the phone rings. The Fly groans, kissing her and they get up slowly. He answers, it's Larry and he takes the phone into the other room. She can hear him talk as he leaves.*
The Fly: Hey Larry...yeah, well I don't think so..*He closes a door and Bluephisto looks back at the table. The postcards she bought to send to Fishy are now warped pieces of fibre floating in a pool of sugary coffee. She smiles and wipes the mess up, as she wrings the cloth out she notices that her wedding ring now hangs from her thin finger. Despite their "all take-out" diet, Bluephisto was losing weight with alarming speed. She'd have to get her ring resized if she didn't want it to fall off and get lost, but she was too tired to do it right now. She twisted her ring and pulled a yellow pad of paper and a black pen from one of the chaotically cluttered drawers and begins to write a letter to Fishy and Adam, congratulating them on their trip and teasing Fishy about the Great Wall, she wanted to write that she was feeling fine...but she couldn't lie to Adam, and she didn't want to worry them on their vacation. She was just finishing the letter when it happened again. She began to cough. It was hard to breathe at all. She gripped the counter top. She couldn't breathe. Blood seeped between her fingers. Things started to go purple. Her eyes hurt. She fell.*

*The Fly was just saying goodbye to Larry. They had talked for a surprisingly long time, probably half an hour...mind you, The Fly did most of the talking.*
The Fly: Yeah, well...Just give them time. Maybe after the baby's born and all ... I'll tell her Bona's sorry. Sure thing. Well, you take care Miss Larry. Yeah, yeah, whatever. Okay...bye.
*He hung up and walked back into the kitchen...Bluephisto must be upstairs changing into something warmer. The table was cleaned off, his cup still held some coffee. He noticed a yellow pad full of writing and he pulled it towards him, setting his mug on the corner of it as he read it. It was a letter to Fishy. He smiled and grabbed a blue pen, adding his own comments at the bottom and an apology for leaving a coffee ring. He chuckled and drew a little angel and a fish and a heart...those crazy lovebirds. As he set the pen down, he noticed bloody finger prints smeared on the opposite edge of the granite. He froze and his heart jumped. He looked around, full of dread,*
The Fly: BLUEY!? BABY? HONEY? WHERE ARE YOU?
*Just on the other side of the counter, she lay there unconscious and pale, a pen lying near her limp hand.*Oh Fuck! *He jumped over the counter and crouched down, scooping her up in his arms. She was barely breathing, and not waking up. He carried her to the couch and laid her there, desperately trying to wake her up*
The Fly: Baby...baby wake up. Bluey... Bluephisto...Honey...wake up!!! WAKE UP HONEY!!!*She must have been coughing again and he didn't hear her, he started to panic and shook her a little* BLUEY!!! WAKE UP!!! *She remained limp and he swore, racing to the phone. The ambulance was there in five minutes and she was whisked to the hospital...he sat beside her all the way, crying into his hands. If he had just stayed out there with her, maybe she'd be alright. The paramedics pushed her out into the hospital on a stretcher as receptionists asked him all sorts of questions about insurance...he made a lot up and followed her into a little room where they sat for hours. The doctors did tests and talked excitedly, this was unlike any cancer they had ever seen, it was deadlier, faster... She didn't wake up until the next morning in a hospital bed with all sorts of tubes sticking in her veins. The Fly was sleeping in a chair with his head on her bed, his face was wet with tears in the harsh light of the ward. She brushed his hair with her fingers,*
Bluephisto: Fly? *He stirred and sat up, sighing with relief that she was awake again.*
The Fly: Honey...*He moved towards her, sitting on the bed. and kissing her forehead and cheeks and dry lips.* Oh baby...Oh my God.
Bluephisto: What happened?
The Fly: You were passed out in the kitchen. I called an ambulance. You're in a hospital. How are you feeling?
Bluephisto: I feel fine. Much better. *She had never seen The Fly look so exhausted. He must have stayed up all night worrying.*
The Fly: Do you feel well enough to go home?
Bluephisto: Yes...I doubt they can do anything for me here anyway.
The Fly: Yeah, they were puzzled. Actually, I think we should get out of here before they decide to keep you for good.
Bluephisto: Sounds good. Where are my clothes?
*The Fly hands her a bag*
The Fly: I had Bono bring some over...you were just wearing your slip when you came here.
Bluephisto: Bono came here?
The Fly: Yeah, he actually walked in right after you got here...that angel thing must have told him what was happening. He brought you some of your old clothes...Well, tell you what...I'll just go call us a cab and you can get dressed okay?
Bluephisto: Okay..*He kisses her many times and walks wearily to a payphone in the white hall, calling a cab. She dresses quickly in a short blue dress, far too elegant for a hospital and takes the needles from her arms, grimacing. She stands unsteadily, meets her worried husband in the hallway, and they sneak out of the hospital to their waiting cab. He holds her in his arms and they say nothing during the long ride home. When they get back to the large glass house, it's raining. He gives her his jacket and carries her across the threshold again...she's asleep already. He climbs the stairs and puts her in bed...the doctors at the hospital scared him. They gathered together and informed him as he sat by her bed last night that his wife will die in the next few months. There was nothing to be done. He sat there staring at her for a long time and then walked downstairs, picked up the phone and dialed Larry's number.*
The Fly: Hey Lar...hi...*He stood in the kitchen alone, her bloody fingerprints were still smeared on the counter.* I...uhhh..Bluey collapsed and we, we went to the hospital and they all said that she was going to...Yeah.*He sat on the floor, staring out the window at the dark sea* What? No...I'm not okay.

*Larry enters his living room to see his wife turn around. He looks deep into her eyes and is horrified to see that they have changed from their ethereal grey-blue to a frightening shade of blood red. She gives him an evil smile and he looks down toward her belly... where's the baby? What happened to her 6 month pregnant figure? She starts to charge at him and Larry screams and shoots straight up in his bed, screaming and sweating and hearing his wife's soothing voice in his ear.*
Bona: Larry!! Shh... relax baby. Just a nightmare. It was just a nightmare.
*She rubs his back and he cringes.*
Bona: What's wrong?
Larry: The rape... I don't know but just don't touch me right now.
Bona: Breathe baby... it's okay.
*Larry takes a few deep breaths and turns to Bona, lifting the covers and placing a hand on her belly, relieved to find her full 6 month pregnant belly still there. He looks up into her eyes and finds the ethereal grey-blue present. He sighs and kisses her deeply*
Bona: Same dream?
Larry: Yeah. *kiss* Same one.
Joshua: Daddy, are you okay?
Larry: Yeah, Joshua. I'm okay.
Joshua: You had another bad dream.
Larry: I'm glad that's over now.
Joshua: I wish I was with you so I could protect you...
Larry: *chuckle* Thanks, Josh.
*Larry buries his face into Bona's shoulder and she lays back down, pulling him with her. He fell back asleep quickly, but Bona lay awake, worried dreadfully about her husband. His nightmares were increasing lately, getting more and more intense. With each one he awoke more and more shaken. Then there was another issue... the flashbacks. Just last night he couldn't finish their lovemaking... the flashback was too intense. Larry's rape was distancing him more and more lately...*

SIX MONTHS LATER...
*Macphisto is still in mourning. Bona and Bono do everything they can to cheer him up, but instead of getting better with time as they would expect, he seems to sink lower and lower into a state of grief, so sad he can't see straight, his eyes glazed over. Bono has never felt so helpless...nothing seems to work. Macphisto seems to be dying from the inside out, everyday he dims a little more until he seems like a shadow of his former self. Lately, Bono has even had to remind him to keep drinking enough liquor... he is so used to seeing Macphisto with a bottle of some kind in his hand that it disturbs him to see him without it. Bona confronted Bono, asking if it was wise of him to make Macphisto drink more and Bono replied that Mackie needed a hobby, and drinking was his hobby. Bona had to agree, at least when Mackie was drinking all the time, he laughed sometimes...mind you he would also cry quite a bit when he drank, but it was better than seeing him when he was numb. Lately, the only way she could keep his attention was to relay scraps of information about Bluephisto that her husband heard from The Fly... Larry and The Fly had been talking regularly over the phone, but Bona hadn't spoken to Bluephisto since that fateful phone call so many months ago. Like Mackie, she had been shut out of Bluey's life, and Bona was surprised how much she missed her. Bona was visiting Macphisto one day... one of his drinking days, thank God. They sat at the bar in the ballroom, Bona drinking a soda and Macphisto downing a bottle of vodka.*
Bona: How are you feeling Mackie?
Macphisto: *Raising an eyebrow*What do you want me to say to that? Just tell me and I'll say that.
Bona: Larry says hi. *Macphisto nods and pours a glass full of vodka, resting his chin on his hand unsteadily.* Mackie... how many bottles of that have you had today?
Macphisto: Depends what you mean by today. Look, I don't know why you keep coming here Bona. Don't you have a husband to look after?
Bona: I visit because you worry me.
Macphisto: *Pouring a new glass of vodka* You know...*He pauses, staring into space while he lights a cigar with trembling fingers*
Bona: What Mackie?
Macphisto: I forgot...No idea. Gone. Not important. *He downs the glass and picks the bottle up again, frowning* Empty.*He throws the empty bottle into a pile of at least six or seven beside him. Bona sighs and rubs his back. He puts his head down on the bar resting his forehead on his arms.*
Bona: Mackie, it's been six months. Aren't you going to ... snap out of this? Please? *He makes no movement, no response. She sighs* I know. I'm worried about her too, Larry says that... oh nevermind.
Macphisto: *He turns his head and looks up at her* What?
Bona: Nothing Mackie.
Macphisto: She's not doing well is she?
Bona: No.
*He returns his head to his arms on the bar and does not move. She waits and looks at him for a while, she even tries to start a conversation but he is passed out. Bona sighs and leaves, too many of their meetings were ending this way these days. On her way out, Bona stopped and chatted to Bono, who blushed as she spoke to him. He was acting very odd lately. She kissed him on the cheek and left.
Macphisto woke up to a hand on his shoulder, shaking him awake*

Macphisto: Bono, go away.
The Father: Wrong team my boy.
*Macphisto straightened up suddenly. The Father was standing behind him, his infernal face calmer than a still gun.*
Macphisto: What are you doing here?
The Father: I just came to see you my boy... you're quite upset over this Miss Bluephisto, or shall I say, Mrs. The Fly since her hasty nuptuals? Yes, I think Mrs. The Fly is really the correct term here.
Macphisto: *Crossing his arms as if he's bored* Did you come up here just to gloat?
The Father: Of course not, of course not my boy ... You think I bear you some ill will?
Macphisto: Get to the point.
The Father: You have lost your manners. You used to be so charming.
Macphisto: Shut up.
The Father: *Blowing smoke* Now that sort of thing is exactly what I'm talking about...look at you. *He gestures to a mirror which shows Macphisto exactly how terrible he looks* I mean it. LOOK at yourself! You look awful. Just awful.
Macphisto: I'm tired.
The Father: I knew this would happen. I tried to protect you from it...from feeling this disguisting and undignified grief.
Macphisto: You tried to kill me.
The Father: *Diplomatically* Only because I thought that I'd rather see you dead than to see such an excellent demon reduced to some love-sick, self-pitying fool. I tried to save you from this many times, but you wouldn't listen. *The Father sits on the bar stool Bona left, beside Macphisto* Now, I am not here to "gloat" as you so charmingly put it, I am here to help you.
Macphisto: *Turning away and looking for another bottle of vodka* I don't want your help.
The Father: No?
Macphisto: No. Get out.
The Father: Oh... you poor bastard. You think that if you stay like this, and you build some bizarre monument of grief from wrinkled suits and empty vodka bottles she'll see that *mockingly* you truely, truely love her and she'll just come running back to you? You think that if you wear your grief like this forever like a hair shirt that she'll notice you again and take you back into her arms before she dies? *Macphisto keeps searching for another bottle* Well, it's just not going to happen.
Macphisto: How do you know?
The Father: Because she's already seen you like this and she left you ... again.
Macphisto: *Freezes and turns* No she hasn't.
The Father: Yes...she has. She was here when you were asleep. Quite some time ago.
Macphisto: No. You're lying.
The Father: *Sadly* I am not. Ask your angel if you don't believe me. *He steps towards Macphisto, taking a card from his pocket and handing it to him with a look of pity on his face* Ask the angel, he'll give you the truth. What he can't do is understand you... only I can do that. When you're done feeling sorry for yourself... call me. I can help you. *The Father smiled and was gone. Macphisto stood in the middle of the room, holding the stark black card in his fingers.*

*Bono was busy in the hallway, repairing fist sized holes in the once elegant red walls when Macphisto burst out of the ballroom.*
Macphisto: *Briskly* Was she here!?
*Bono was startled. Macphisto should be passed out.*
Bono: What are you doing awake?
Macphisto: *Again, with more tension* Was she here!?
Bono: Who? Bona?
Macphisto: Bluey! Did she ever come here and see me like *He gestures down to his wrinkled suit*this!? *Bono says nothing...he cannot lie. Macphisto examines his face with interest.* She did... didn't she?
Bono: Yes. She came while you were sleeping, a long time ago, but she begged me not to tell you.
*Macphisto stumbled back. The Father was right. She had come and seen him like this.*
Macphisto: *Almost breathless with anger* She came? She asked you not to tell me?
Bono: Yes ... She came and wanted to talk to you but she saw you and...
Macphisto: Excuse me. *He brushes past Bono roughly, knocking Bono into a red wall. She left him, again, even after seeing the misery he suffered for her. She left. Again.*
Bono: *Running after him* What are you doing?
Macphisto: I have to make a call. *He entered his office and slammed the door in the angel's face*

*Bono waited in the hallway again for Macphisto to decide to come out...he was startled when five seconds after the door slammed closed it opened again and Macphisto emerged from the room transformed. He was wearing an immaculate gold suit and a black tuxedo shirt, his hair and makeup as flawless as they had ever been. He was even more stylish than Bono had ever seen him and he grinned at Bono's confusion demonically.*
Macphisto: Oh Bono... you didn't think I was going to mope around in that old thing forever did you? *He leaned against the doorframe, lighting a cigar with steady fingers*
Bono: How did you change so quickly?
Macphisto: *In a smooth voice*I had a little help from someone I should have listened to long ago. *Bono stands and Macphisto walks towards him...Bono is still dumb-struck by the utter transformation. He is back to his usual suave self, but his eyes... his eyes are cold and bitter, lacking their former sparkle. Indeed, all that Bona once admired in him, all that love had done to him, the grace in his step and his playful eyes are gone. He is glittering and cold, like ice. Bono understood, The Father appealed to him in his weakest moment.*
Bono: Macphisto. Do you feel alright?
Macphisto: *Bitterly*I ... do not feel at all, and in that I feel just wonderful, I suppose. I think that deserves a drink or two don't you? Come on, angel let's celebrate.
Bono: Celebrate what?
Macphisto: Learning a valuable lesson. *He pulled Bono down the hall with him towards the bar in the ballroom, smoking and emphasizing every word angrily* Never deny your true nature.

ONE WEEK LATER

*In the middle of the night, Larry snaps awake in his bed and again is awakened by a nightmare, a flashback of the horrible rape. After much coaxing and comforting, Larry finally lays back down and when Bona started to cuddle into him, he shuddered and a second later, leaped out of the bed.*
Bona: Larry? What's wrong?
Larry: Stay away from me...
Bona: Larry, look at me. Look into my eyes.
Larry: NO!
Bona: *rising from the bed and approaching him* Larry, please...
Larry: *backing up against the wall* No...
*Bona gently caresses his chin and he turns his head to look into her eyes.*
Bona: It's me, Lars. It's me.
*Larry, trembling, looks deeper into her.*
Bona: It's me, baby. It's me.
*Larry sighs and wraps his arms around her, kissing her forehead.*
Larry: I'm so sorry...
Bona: This isn't your fault, Larry.
Larry: This shouldn't be happening.
Bona: I know. But it is and we'll get through it.
Larry: How much longer? How much worse does this have to get?
Bona: I don't know...
*They finally fall back asleep and the next morning, Bona rises early and dresses. She kisses her troubled, sleeping husband on the mouth and he shudders but does not wake. She sighs and leaves, headed for MacPhisto's mansion. Upon arriving, Bono greets her at the door.*
Bona: How's he doing?
Bono: A bit better.
Bona: Where is he?
Bono: He left after your visit last week... he comes in and out but at least now he's doing something.
*She heads inside, and finds Mackie in his office. When she enters, he turns and with a grand smile, he approaches her*
MacPhisto: Bona!! How lovely to see you.
*He kisses her on the cheek and lights a cigar, blowing the smoke out of his mouth very seductively.*
Bona: Mackie, I'm so glad you're up and about again...
*She looks into his eyes and is startled to be met with nothing but coldness, ice.*
Bona: Mackie, baby... what's happened to you?
MacPhisto: *leaning against the desk suavely* Well, you honestly didn't expect me to lie around forever, did you?
Bona: Oh God... the Father got to you, didn't he?
MacPhisto: He HELPED me... I've finally realized I can't deny myself of truth.
Bona: What does that mean?
MacPhisto: Nature, dear. Nature.
*After a while of going back and forth, Bono finally escorts Bona out.*
Bono: At least he's back to his old self again.
Bona: Not quite...
Bono: This is better than last week.
Bona: True, but... *she pauses* I should get back...
Bono: Larry's been having nightmares?
Bona: The worst of it is that I know exactly what's happening to him but I'm powerless to stop it.
*There is a pause, and Bona finally starts to head toward her car. She turns to Bono and she embraces him, resting her worried head on his shoulder. She feels him tremble a little and sigh and when she looks up at him again, his eyes dive into hers. Before she could react, his mouth was on hers firmly, his tounge diving into her mouth. When his intense kiss finally ended, she pulled away. Bono sensed her confusion*
Bono: I'm sorry...
Bona: No, no... thank you. I'm just... I have to go.
Bono: I love you.
*Bona pauses, tears starting to form in her eyes, and climbs back into her car. She starts to drive away, Bono watching her from the porch. She waves at him and whispers under her breath*
Bona: I love you, Bono...

*Bono stood on the marble porch for a long time watching Bona get into her car and drive away. He couldn't explain it, his returning feeling for her, he knew he shouldn't have kissed her, she was married now... but he couldn't help himself. It just happened. He sighed and ran his fingers through his long hair, gathering it into a ponytail as he reentered the mansion.*
Bono: Why do I smell smoke?
*Bono ran to the ballroom to find Macphisto standing calmly in the middle of what looked like a warzone. Every stick of furniture in the room was either burning, broken, or smoking. Even the marble and mirrors were crushed into dust on the floor. All the chandeliers had been torn down from the ceiling... the only light in the room was from the flames engulfing tables and couches*
Bono: MACPHISTO!!!
Macphisto: *Looking up casually from his brandy* Yes?
Bono: *Aghast* What have you done?
Macphisto: *Looking around* Oh, this. Well, I just woke up and hated... everything.
Bono: But how did you do this so fast?
Macphisto: I'm a demon, young man. It's my nature to be destructive. Don't look so dramatic. I'm just...redecorating.
*Bono shooks his head and turned on his heel. His patience with Macphisto had just about run out. He needed some time alone. Bono opened the door to his room to find it utterly destroyed.*
Bono: WHAT THE HELL!? MY ROOM!
Macphisto: *Right behind him* Oh yes, well all the rooms are like that right now. Don't fret. The movers are coming any minute now.
Bono: Movers?
Macphisto: *Bored* Yes. Movers. They are bringing all the new furnishings... I can hardly entertain in this squallor can I? *Bono stands still, staring at the fractured granite floor beneath his boots. Macphisto steps closer to him, his cold breath on Bono's neck* I saw that you know.
Bono: Saw what?
Macphisto: *His laugh is low and brief* Kissing other men's wives are you? My dear boy, I believe you have been spending too much time with me. *Bono turns, shocked that anyone had seen him steal a kiss from Bona. He meets Macphisto's newly icy stare.*
Bono: You were watching me?
Macphisto: You make such a cute couple, how could I not be interested?
Bono: *Looking down, ashamed* I can't help it... I love her.
Macphisto: *He speaks calmly and deliberately savouring every word * No such thing.
Bono: What are you talking about?
Macphisto: *Stepping closer to Bono and explaining to him as though he were a slow five year old child* There is no such thing as...love.
Bono: Now you're just talking crazy.
Macphisto: *His eyes are hard and dull, but his voice is smooth.* No, no... I'm quite past all that. You think you "love" her, but you don't. It's in your head. No one has ever really "loved" anyone. "Love" is just a fancy name you angels give to lust *He points distainfully to heaven with his cigar* up there so you can clean it up and marry it and take it home to show your parents. *He grinds his cigar, which he has smoked down to a nub, into the wall and lights another* So feel free to turn your nose up at our carnal ways down there, but at least we're not pretending it's something it's not.
Bono: *Quietly* Mac... I never thought you would get this stupid. You're much smarter than to believe all that and you know it!
Macphisto: *Raising a cultured eyebrow and narrowing his dim, stony eyes* Stupid? I'm not sure I follow. Perhaps I need an example...Oh I have one, how about lusting after another man's wife. Or going as far as sticking your tounge down her throat when she's six months pregnant and then coming up here and chastising a demon for his skeptical views on the subject of "love"? *He turned and walked out of the room triumphantly, looking back at Bono distainfully* It's a good thing you're pretty because you haven't got very much upstairs, have you?
Bono: Mac!! *He jogs after him angrily and catches up to him in the hallway*When did you become such a pessimistic cynical jerk?
Macphisto: *He stops before opening the ballroom doors and stares at him with concrete eyes*I'm a realist. A realist. *He opens the doors to reveal an entirely different ballroom, done in black and white marble, steel, leather and glass. The effect is elegant, modern and cold. Bono gasps at the speed of the change and Macphisto closes his dead eyes and inhales deeply.*
Macphisto: Do you smell that angel?
Bono: What?
Macphisto: It's the smell of new... My very favorite thing in the world ... new, new, new.

*The Fly slept, finally. These past few weeks had been hard. Bluey was coughing a lot and he worried constantly about her. She stayed cheerful, however, and did everything she could to make life normal, or as normal as it had ever been. She smiled, joked and encouraged him to go out and see Larry and The Edge and Gavin more often, but he hated to leave. He could only think about her when he was away, and he was terrified of coming home and finding her dead. He almost never slept, afraid that she would die in her sleep... he would never tell her these things, he'd keep these razorblade thoughts all to himself and when she commented on how tired he looked he just smiled and blamed it on bad lighting. Tonight, however, he sat on the edge of the bed and looked at her sleeping there... she looked so calm, so untroubled, and in the warm lamp light she did not look ill at all. He kissed her on the cheek and fell asleep right there on top of the covers in his leather suit and shades.
He did not even wake up when she bolted out of bed.
She'd never had a dream like this before. She was on a table in a dark room, tied down and a man came in and kissed her with lips that burned like acid. Suddenly, she was on the floor and he was holding her down, she was fighting him and loosing. He leaned down and asked her if she expected someone to burst through the door and save her, and he laughed. She was beginning to loose feeling in her hands from his grip and he undid his robe and straddled her...
She woke up, and jumped out of bed, looking for a weapon, trembling, breathless, and sweating. She stopped... she was home, The Fly lay stretched across the bed in his clothes, the rain fell against the window.
It was okay, she was home, the man wasn't there. She walked to the bathroom and splashed water on her face. What a nightmare, it was so real and so painful. Her hands were still shaking as she splashed water on her skin.*

The Fly: Hey, what's going on baby?
*She jumped... it was her husband calling her from the bed. She shut off the water and stared at her face in the mirror.*
Bluephisto: I had a, a dream...
The Fly: What kinda dream?
Bluephisto: A nightmare.
*The Fly stopped yawning and sat up, she was having nightmares again?*
The Fly: A nightmare? What kind of nightmare?
Bluephisto: Well, it was... nevermind.
*She walked back to bed and slid back inbetween the covers. The Fly removed his shades and looked at her intently*
The Fly: Well, you used to have nightmares all the time, maybe things are just starting to, you know, come back to you.
Bluephisto: *She stared at the lepord print blanket over her* Maybe... God, I hope that wasn't a memory. *The Fly kissed her shoulder and took his black creaking jacket off and his shirt and pants, throwing them by the side of the bed. She looked over at him undressing and smiled, he was so handsome. She took him into her arms and they kissed, even exhausted, he was a great kisser. He broke the kiss slowly and looked at her seductively.*
The Fly: Hey, baby... you wanna...*His voice trailed off and he closed his eyes, he was fast asleep in mid pick-up line....But Bluey stayed awake all night, lying in bed, staring at the wall and wondering what had inspired the brutally vivid nightmare.*

*The next afternoon, she sat on the couch, replaying the nightmare in her head. The Fly had gone out to meet Larry and Edge somewhere for a while. She was relieved, he was always taking care of her, he needed to get out. She had to threaten to burn his Elvis on vinyl collection to a crisp to get him to go out for a couple of hours and be a proper rock star. The phone rang, and the machine picked up before she was off the couch, the old tape of The Fly's smoky distorted voice echoed through the kitchen*
Answering Machine: Hey babies! I'm out being famous so tell me who you are and why the fuck you're callin' me and we'll work something out. Capeche? *Quieter*Okay...how do I shut this off? Is there a button or something? Just a sec... Okay this one says "page"*Click*. Hmm, nope. This one says "off". Maybe "off" will stop this *click*. Damn. *Loud pounding noises as he hits the machine with his fist* Shut off you motherfucking tape! SHUT OFF! Eeeeedge, how do you make this thing- *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*
Larry: *On the phone, leaving a message* Fly, you really have to change your answering maching message. It's just me, I'm calling to say I'll be a little late...But you probably forgot or got lost again or something. *Bluephisto picked up the phone and the answering maching shut off*
Bluephisto: Hi, Larry?
Larry: Bluey?
Bluephisto: Yes, it's me, he just left. He didn't forget so he should be there in a little while.
Larry: Oh, okay, good. So how are you doing?
Bluephisto: I'm fine. *There is a long pause on the phone, Larry knows from The Fly that she is not "fine".*
Larry: Fine?
Bluephisto: Well, considering... you know.
Larry: Yeah, yeh.
Bluephisto: So how are you?
Larry: Well, Bona's doing well. She's out right now visiting...*He pauses* friends. And she's really getting pregnant.
Bluephisto: *Cooly* That's nice. How are you doing?
Larry: I'm... tired.
Bluephisto: Are you feeling alright?
Larry: Well, I've just had trouble sleeping. That's all.
Bluephisto: Oh. That's too bad. I'm a little tired today too, I had a nightmare last night that woke me up and I haven't gone back to sleep since... Fly says that I must be getting my memory back.
Larry: *He pauses... Bluephisto had been turned into a temptress once, maybe she had the same kind of dreams... His voice is unusually soft over the phone.* What kind of nightmares Bluey?
Bluephisto: *Startled that Larry would have a conversation this long with anyone, especially her.* Well, I don't really want to ... it was pretty ... disturbing.
Larry: *After a long silence* I've been having nightmares too.
Bluephisto: *Something clicks in her head, she feels like she can tell Larry for some reason* In my dream, I'm tied down on a table and this horrible man comes in and he kisses me and it...
Larry: It really really hurts, doesn't it... it feels like he's burning you.
Bluephisto:How did you know? Larry?
Larry: *After a silence* It happened to me too. It's how I got like... this.
Bluephisto: Oh ... And then afterwards, the man held me down and...
Larry: Yeah.
Bluephisto: *She remembers, she was once a temptress, just as Larry is now a tempter.*Oh God.
Larry: Yeah, it happened to me too.
*They both sit there in silence for a minute, Bluephisto is horrified that it was not a nightmare, it was a flashback.*
Bluephisto: Larry, are you okay?
Larry: No... it's really been bothering me lately. I can't sleep... and he made himself look like... like Bona.
Bluephisto: Oh, no. Oh Larry, I'm so sorry.
Larry: It's difficult to get close to her now.*As Larry speaks, emotions flood back to her that she had forgotten. Fear, anger, shame... and she understands completely.*
Bluephisto: You don't want anyone to touch you, do you?
Larry: No! I really don't! I'm even beginning to pull away from Bona.
Bluephisto: I seem to remember doing that... I didn't want to be held by anyone, I just needed space.
Larry: Oh God, yes. *He is immensely relieved that someone finally understands what he's been feeling.*
Bluephisto: Hey, Larry... do you live far away?
Larry: No, not far at all. Maybe an hour.
Bluephisto: If you want to talk, you can come over and we can talk about this...
Larry: Sure. Bona won't be back for a while..*He stops, remembering that he is a tempter now.* Actually, maybe not. Sorry. It wouldn't look good.
Bluephisto: Okay, that's fine. We can just chat over the phone.
*They talk for hours and when he hangs up, Larry feels much better to have found someone to talk to who's been where he is now, and he promises to call her again soon. Just after he hangs up, Bona walks in and he rushes over to her and hugs her for the first time in almost a week.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-24-2001).]

*The Fly and Edge sit in a small, dark pub in Dublin, Edge is listening to the loquacious rock star blowing off some steam.*
The Fly: I mean, she's looking well. But she's always looked well, you know? That's not a problem, but she's been getting skinnier and that worries me a bit because you know, I liked her fine before and it's just happening so fast. I don't know what the fuck to do Edge! I just want everything to stop, just stop right now. *The FLy takes a long drag of his cigarette* I feel like I don't have enough time with her even though we spend almost every minute together, and I'm worried that she's gonna get all tired of me always being around but I don't want to miss anything, you know? *The Fly pauses his frantic rant to gulp his beer down and The Edge nods thoughtfully* ANd on top of it all, there is NOTHING I can do. We went to the hospital once and all they said was that she was going to die soon, in front of my eyes. I haven't even been married for a damn year and I'm already trying to prepare for being a widower. That's a great word isn't it? Widower. It sounds like a job, like something you fucking wake up and do everyday, you put on a suit and tie and drive somewhere and be a widower and then you come home at night to your ...wife. *He turns his pint in his hand, tapping his wedding ring against the glass* But it's not like that is it? Nah...didn't think so, didn't fucking think so... *He wiped his famous face with his hand* What am I gonna do Edge? What am I gonna do when she's gone?
Edge: You look really tired.
The Fly: No shit. These shades come in handy. I haven't been sleeping worth a damn. I can't even fucking sleep!
Edge: If you don't take care of yourself you won't be able to do anything for her.
The Fly: *Shouting and standing, knocking his barstool over. All the talk in the pub stops.* HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU WATCHED YOUR WIFE DIE ASSHOLE!? HUH? Are you some kind of fucking EXPERT on the subject!?
Edge: *He reaches over and puts his hand on The Fly's shiny shoulder... He's never seen him like this.* Hey, hey. I'm sorry. I don't know, you're right. *Heads in the pub have turned to look at them* Let's get out of here, okay?
The Fly: Whatever, fine. I don't fucking care. *He throws a bill on the bar and walks out with Edge* I dunno man, I just can't do this anymore.
Edge: I know.
*They leave*

*A week later at The Fly's glass house...
The Fly: *Kissing Bluey goodbye who is lying on the couch under a blanket in a sun drenched room.*Well, I'm going to go meet Edge fer a bit... are you gonna be okay while I'm gone baby?
Bluephisto: Yes, of course. I've been feeling fine so far today... I'll be perfect.
The Fly: Yeah?
Bluephisto: Yes. Really. Now go out with Edge, you should talk to somebody besides me.
The Fly: *He looks up at her through his shades and smirks... She is far too beautiful to be so ill, sitting there in a bright blue sweater over a black tank top and pajama shorts, and he traces his finger down her leg* Have I ever told you how sexy you are when you're sitting on a couch? *She smiles and he swings a leg over hers, playfully and kisses her gently and then deeper, forgetting all about her illness. She wraps a leg around him and he kisses her neck, working his way down to her chest when the doorbell rang. She sighed deeply and he smiled, he must be doing a good job. She tapped him on the back, he didn't hear the door and she always had to tell him when someone was there.*
Bluephisto: Sweetheart, the door...
The Fly: *In mid kiss* What about it?
Bluephisto: I think Larry's here?
The Fly: *He groans and kisses her again, undoing his pants* He can wait.
Bluephisto: *Giggling*Fly! You have to meet The Edge, don't you?
The Fly: He can wait too... *For a moment she kisses him back, and slides her hand under his shirt, but the doorbell rings again*
Bluephisto: Honey ... he's not going to go away and ... stop being bad and trying to seduce me when we have company!
The Fly: *Looks up smiling* Is it working?
Bluephisto: *Blushing* Yes...
The Fly: Baby, why should I stop?
*The doorbell rings again*
Bluephisto: Because ... Larry's here and you have to go and.. *She gives him a gentle push and he rolls off of her reluctantly* Think of it as ... slowing down until later, not stopping. Okay?
The Fly: *He winks at her and kisses her chest one last time before he runs to get the door, answering her over his shoulder* Okay, but not many women would have the strength to pass up my lovin... I suppose you deserve a second chance later on! But beware, the love boat waits for no one!
*He opens the door* Hey LAR! *He goes to hug Larry but larry moves away* Oookay... I was just heading out. Come in.
Larry: What took you so damn long?
The Fly: My woman would not let go of me!! I kept tellin her, "baby I got to answer the damn door" but she just can't get enough of -*He stops, Bluey is standing in the doorway smirking at him and holding a red blanket around her shoulders*
Bluephisto: Oh really? Is that how it went?
The Fly: *Hugging her* Well, something like that.
*Larry can tell just by watching them that it was The Fly who needed convincing. He frowns, Bluephisto had changed... she had lost a lot of weight and was very pale, almost grey with dark circles under her brilliant eyes. Whatever The Fly still saw in her, Larry saw only a very sick woman. She looks at him and he smiles, trying not to look shocked, especially next to the vibrant Fly, she seemed so muted and small.*
Larry: Well, you must be lying to us all. I heard you were sick and here you are, looking terrific.
Bluephisto: *Skeptically* Sure Larry. Thanks. *She turned to her husband* Are you on your way?
The Fly: Yeah baby, I'll be home real soon, okay?
Larry: *Joking* Oh are you afraid I'm gonna steal her away from you?
The Fly: *Laughs and looks at Bluey* If you tried and she let you out of the house with your arms still attached to your body...you'd be a lucky man. My baby kicks ass! *He kisses her again and hugs her* I'll be home soon honey.
Bluephisto: You're going to a pub for a while, not on safari... get going!
The Fly:Okay, okay...see ya Lar, see ya sweetie. *He kisses her again on the cheek and walks backwards to the garage. They can hear his car pull away and drive into the distance. Bluephisto turns back to Larry*
Bluephisto: So, Lar... can I get you a drink?
Larry: Hey, I'll get it.
Bluephisto: I'm not a total invalid you know. I can get a drink! Go ahead, have a seat at the table and I'll be right back...what do you want?
Larry: Just whatever you're having.
Bluephisto: Sure thing. *She shuffles into the kitchen, making coffee and Larry takes a seat at the glass kitchen table. He and Bluey had been talking on the phone regularly for weeks. He hid it from Bona, afraid that it would make her jealous. Her progressively pregant figure had been making her insecure and the distance his trauma put between them didn't help... the last thing he needed was to tell her that he was chatting with Bluey for hours about what he couldn't tell her about. But it was different, Bluephisto had been there, she had nightmares too... she was the only person he could talk to about the rape without feeling ashamed or weak, and he needed to talk. She returned with two cups of coffee and sat down across from him.*
Larry: *Pointing to the window* That's quite a view.
Bluephisto: I love it, the ocean is so soothing to watch ... unless I'm nausous of course *She laughs a little into her coffee*Hey, do you want cream or sugar?
Larry: No I take mine black too. How are you feeling?
Bluephisto: *She puts her coffee down and looks out the window* Today is a good day. So far. Yeah. *She swirls her coffee around in the cup and Larry notices that she is wearing her wedding ring on her thumb*
Larry: Is that your wedding ring?
Bluephisto: Oh, yes. It's getting too big, I should get it resized but I just don't ever seem to get around to it. *She smiles and twists her ring* So how are you doing?
Larry: Okay, I guess. The nightmares won't stop.
Bluephisto: Mine too. I had a terrible one last night.
Larry: I hate that feeling. That feeling like you're running but going nowhere no matter how much you try...
Bluephisto: Yeah, like punching through water, but you're the only one drowning.
Larry: *Nodding and looking at the table* Exactly. How do you not ... push people away?
Bluephisto: Well, I guess I just try to remember who's really in front of me.
Larry: Yeah, but the problem is it's Bona. He looked like Bona and when I see her I remember...God. *He stands and paces and she stands, gathering the blue sweater around her and crosses the kitchen to get some more coffee*
Bluephisto: Can you touch her at all?
Larry: Not recently... no. I love her so much, but I just can't shake that image.
Bluephisto: Maybe you should just start small...*She pours coffee into her cup and the sweater slips off a little, revealing a thin shoulder and Larry grimaces. She had gone downhill so fast. She used to be so strong.* maybe just hug her and work from there.
Larry: I can't even do that. She's going to leave me if I don't snap out of this.
Bluephisto: No. She loves you. Don't be silly. *She thinks for a second* Maybe you need to start touching people again who don't threaten you and then work your way up to Bona.
Larry: That makes sense...*Larry's cell phone rang in his pocket*Oh, just a second.
Bluephisto: Sure.
Larry: *Into the phone*Hello? Oh, hi Bona. *Bluephisto turns away and rummages through the cupboards for something to serve as a snack*You're home early? Again? What... he's not doing great? *Bluephisto looks at him over the counter and wondered if "he" was who she thought.* Hmmm, That's weird ... even for him. Yeah anyway. Oh...yeah... I'm, I'm just out running errands. Yeah, I'm at the post office right now. I should be home in a couple of hours. *Bluephisto turned away... she felt it again. The pain in her chest.THis is the worst time! Not now![/b]She took a couple of steps towards the door to the games room but, stopped and started to cough. The pain seemed to come from much deeper inside this time and blood spurted from her lips. She clutched a hand to her mouth and tried to leave the room.*[/b]
Larry: *Still on the phone, but talking at Bluey* Oh shit! Are you okay? Hey...are you okay? Oh my God. *To Bona* What? Oh, it's just... I'm going to have to call you back! *Suddenly, Bluey collapses, banging her head on the granite counter as she falls* Bluey! Oh fuck! *Larry drops the phone and runs over to her. Blood is seeping from her mouth and she is unconscious. If anything happened to her, The Fly would kill him. He picked her up and took her to the couch, setting her down gently and trying to wake her up* Bluey, wake up! BLUEY! WAKE UP! *She opened her eyes and looked around*
Bluephisto: What happened?
Larry: Are you okay?
Bluephisto: Yes, I just blacked out. It happens now and then.
Larry: Okay, just a second. *He rushes back to his dropped phone and picked it up* Hello? *Bona had hung up on him*Oh damn.
Bluephisto: What?
Larry: Bona heard me say your name.
Bluephisto: You should go home.
Larry: Will you be okay?
Bluephisto: *Wiping her mouth on her sleeve and nodding*. Yes. I don't want to get you in trouble Lar. Just go.
Larry: Okay, if you're sure. Can you stand?
*She stands slowly*
Bluephisto: Yeah. I can stand. Now just go, okay?
Larry: Okay. *On an impulse, he hugged her. It felt good to hold someone again.*Start small right?
Bluephisto: Right. Now get going.

*Bona drove home from MacPhisto's Mansion in bewilderment. He'd completely redecorated and now the mansion had a colder, less welcoming feel. MacPhisto seemed to flirt more than usual and on her way out, Bono embraced her but did little more than plant a kiss on her cheek and told her to take care of herself. She pulled up to the house she shared with Larry and was surprised to find he was not home.*
Bona: Lar?
*No response*
Bona: Wonder where he could be...
*She picked up the phone and dialed his cell number. He picked up after two rings.*
Bona: Hey, Larry, I'm home early... You'll never believe what Mackie's done... he's totally redecorated the entire mansion, just on a whim... I was surprised to find you're not home... where are you?... errands?... okay... *She heard Larry talking frantically to someone in the background, asking if they're alright.* Larry, baby what's wrong?... Fine. *It sounded like he dropped the phone but she could hear the screaming in the background and was horrified to hear him call out Bluey's name. He'd lied to her... She hung up the phone and fixed herself a drink, sitting at the table. Why would Larry be at Bluey's? What was going on? He was getting more and more distant lately and hadn't even so much as touched her in almost two weeks now. It had to be her pregnancy, her growing figure was probably scaring him off... Her thoughts grew worse and worse and suddenly Larry walked in. She rose from the table*
Bona: You were at Bluey's...
Larry: Yes, I was at Bluey's.
Bona: Care to tell me why?
Larry: We were talking.
Bona: What about?
*Larry pauses and motions for her to sit. She does, and he sits across from her.*
Larry: There's something that happened that I'm afraid I can't tell you about. It explains my distance from you lately...
Bona: You're having an affair with her.
Larry: Now wait a minute, that's not fair.
Bona: Why?
Larry: Because you're jumping to conclusions. Alright, you want me to come clean?
Bona: Yes, I do Lawrence.
*He sighs, and rises. Bona's fears grow as she starts to notice her husband trembling.*
Larry: The rape...
Bona: Yes? Larry I know that was traumatizing...
Larry: I've been talking to Bluey about it because she's been there. She's the only one I can talk to about it without feeling ashamed, guilty, dirty...
Bona: Larry, I'm your WIFE. You know you can talk to me... I've seen a lot in my three thousand years time---
Larry: Bona, when he raped me he made himself look like you.
*Bona gasped. That explained a lot.*
Larry: I've been talking to Bluey about it because...
Bona: That's fine, but why did you LIE to me about it?
Larry: Because I knew it wouldn't look good and I didn't want you to be jealous. I know how insecure you've been lately and my distance hasn't been helping.
Bona: That's very true, but I would have preferred honesty.
Larry: Love, I can't even touch you anymore without some kind of reminder, and I feel awful about it...
Bona: Start small.
Larry: That's what Bluey said...
*Their converstation is interrupted by Larry's cell phone again. He picks up*
Larry: Hello?... Hi, Edge... What's wrong?... Oh SHIT. The National Enquirer did this?... FUCK!... Alright where are you?... I'll be there soon. *to Bona* I'm sorry, the National Enquirer published this article today, headline "U2 Drummer Larry Mullen Turned into Devil and Leaves Wife."
*Bona can't restrain the tears any longer. She sinks down into her chair and buries her face into her hands, sobbing. Larry looks down at his shoes. Normally he'd run up to her and gather her in his arms, rocking her until it stopped, but... he inched toward her and managed to brush his hand across her cheek. Nothing happened, but she turned toward him and whispered.*
Bona: Go, Larry... take care of what you have to.
Larry: Bona, listen. *she looks up at him and he leans toward her, as close as he can get to her without touching her* I love you.
Bona: I love you too...
*Larry makes a kissing motion at her cheek and walks out. Bona sinks her head in her hands and after a few minutes a knock at the door is heard. She gets up and opens the door, gasping to see Bono standing there.*
Bona: Bono! Hi...
Bono: Are you okay?

*The Fly charged into his house, slamming the heavy door behind him and clutching this week's copy of The National Enquirer in his fist. He looked around, Bluey and Larry were both out of sight.*
The Fly: Bluey? Larry?...*No one was downstairs but he heard the shower running upstairs and ran up. The bathroom door was open a crack and he peeked in.*
The Fly: Baby...is that you?
Bluey: Oh! Honey, you scared me. Yeah, it's me...
The Fly: Where's Larry?
Bluey: He left a while ago. Bona called and needed to see him.
The Fly: Okay. I'll be downstairs.
*He closed the door and ran to the kitchen. He slammed the paper on the counter... The headlines claimed that Larry was running off with The Fly's "mystery bride". When he and Edge passed it on the street in a newsstand, however...it was not that headline that upset him. Another headline in red claimed that "Rocker leaves Ailing Wife...". Below it was a picture of Bluey outside of a hospital, taken almost seven months ago. He ripped it open, glaring at the "exclusive report" that claimed Bluey was a Russian Supermodel who had AIDS and married The Fly for his money while having an affair with Larry on the side because The Fly was too caught up in his career.*
The Fly: Mother Fucking assholes. *He heard the shower still running so he kicked a chair. It felt good so he kicked it again, harder, denting the chair. Finally he just picked the chair up and threw it from the outside balcony watching it wreck on the rocks below.* If those bastards think for one moment that they can get away with this...*He grabbed the phone and punched a number in the back of the magazine. He didn't need some trashy magazine spreading lies about them. Not ever. Not now.* Yeah? Hello? I wanna talk to your boss. Who is this? This is your cover boy for this month. Yeah. Let me talk to your mother-fucking boss or I am going to come over there and rip your goddamn lungs out! Thanks. No! I'm not going to HOLD!!!!*He slammed the phone down on the counter a few times and then hung up, fuming. She was still in the shower, so he grabbed his keys and ran to his car speeding off in a cloud of dust to Larry's house.*

*Larry answered the door at Edge's.*
The Fly: Lar. You've seen?
Larry: Yes. Can't say I'm happy.
Edge:*walking to the door calmly* Hey Fly...how are you? *The Fly just glares* Okay, bad timing.
Larry: I think we should threaten to sue.
The Fly: In person.
Edge: I'm not sure that's a good...
Larry: Sure. Let's go. *larry grabs a cap to cover his horns and they walk to The Fly's car.* I'm driving.
Edge: Hey! What are you doing?
The Fly: We're teaching them not to put me on hold. There is nothing in the world that pisses me off more than being put on hold.
Edge: *Sighs* Well, at least let me come along to make sure you don't end up in jail...again. *He climbs into the back of the convertable*
The Fly: *Larry starts to drive away* I think if it's less than 24 hours it doesn't really count or something....also, that was in Mexico. Everyone goes to jail in Mexico at least once, right?
Larry: Not for public nudity.
The Fly: Define public...define nudity.
Edge: Should we call our lawyers?
Larry: Good call *Tosses Edge his cell phone*

*Bona smiles and motions for Bono to come in*
Bona: So...what brings you to my door?
Bono: *Pointing to the tears on her face* Those.
Bona: Oh...
Joshua: BONO!
Bono: Hi Josh.
Joshua: Mummy's upset.
Bono: I know, I'm here to help.
Joshua: Are you sick Bono?
Bono: No, why?
Joshua: You are shaky and warm.

Bona: That's nice of you but shouldn't you be with Mackie?
Bono: I need a break, besides he's quite preoccupied with his new wardrobe... It looks just like his old wardrobe but it's new and I guess that's important or somthing....But anyway, how are you feeling? What's upset you?
Bona: Oh EVERYTHING!!! I'm as big as a freaking house, and Larry won't touch me, and now he's been seeing Bluey behind my back, and now the tabloids are saying that he's leaving her for me...and my feet are swelling and killing me!
Bono: *He bends down and picks up one of her feet, rubbing it as she talks* Do you really believe he would cheat on you with her?
Bona: No...I don't think he would but, it's just maddening! I'm his WIFE! She's just my old friend and now he's sharing parts of himself with her that he won't with me? I don't want to blow up at him, but I mean *Exasperated* What the HELL!? *Bono smiles, Bona is adoreable when she's frustrated. He switches feet and she closes her eyes as he kneads the soul of her foot.*
Bono: He'll come around Bona...he'd be a fool not to.
Bona: Thanks Bono... it's nice to hear.
Bono: *After a moment of silence* I came to apologize for kissing you the other day. I don't know what came over me, I just... I shouldn't have. I overstepped my boundries and I'm sorry.
Bona: That's okay Bono. It was only a kiss, right?
*Bono is silent. It was so much more than a kiss. He wants to do it again, to taste her lips... and he stands up quickly, setting her foot down.*
Bono: Look, I should get back, sorry. He's probably doing a million things he shouldn't be by now.
Bona: That just means he's back to normal.
Bono: *relieved to talk about something besides himself and Bona* No. He's not. It's different...
Bona: I know. He's...
Bono: Cold. He's hollow...
Bona: Yes. Exactly. *There is a pause* Well, you'd better go back.
Bono: Yes. I should... *He hugs her goodbye and immediately feels that this is a mistake. Before he knows what he is doing, Bono is kissing Bona's neck rapidly. Bona gasps in surprise but does not pull away. Bono stops and steps back as through he burnt himself on her skin, mumbles and apology and leaves.*
Joshua: Mommy, are you sick too...everyone is shaking around here!

Larry: [b

*The three men stormed into the Irish head offices of The National Enquirer and met their lawyers in the lobby. Their lawyers were from the prestigious lawfirm "Disco, Olive and Opaltranquility", the three women in suits rose and met them, eyes sharp and briefcases ready.*
Edge: Hello ladies, thanks for meeting us.
Disco: Not a problem.
Olive: Please tell us more on the way up, we don't want anyone to overhear you out here.
*The elevator dings*
Larry: That's our ride.
*They all get into the elevator and the three men frantically fill the lawyers in on the details. The elevator stops on the 44th floor and they all walk out, silent. A receptionist behind a large desk looks up and gasps.*
Receptionist: Oh... *She recognizes them from the cover* Hello... how can I-
The Fly: Let us talk to yer boss.
Receptionist: Oh, I'm sorry... Mr. O'Connell is very busy in a meeting right now and- *She stops, Larry is looking down at her and smiling. She drops her pencil.*
Larry: Are you sure you won't help us?
Receptionist: I, I ... I'd really like to..really...but I can't let you in..
*Larry leans a litte closer and smiles*
Larry: It would mean a lot to me...
Receptionist: *Totally melting* Go right in...
Larry: *Pulling away abruptly* Thanks.
*The lawyers open the large wooden doors and the squad of distrgruntled rockstars enter to find Mr. O'Connell playing solitare with his feet on his desk.*
Disco: Mr. O'Connell, these are our clients and they have many problems with the cover of your magazine this month.
O'Connell: Really?
Larry: Yes. For example, you printed I was now a devil and leaving my wife...
O'Connell: We did?
*Larry throws the magazine on the desk*
Larry: Maybe you should read what you print.
O'Connell: Look gentlemen... We are operating under strict time contraints ...If we do not get a few facts correct then we-
Larry: Cut the crap. Do you have any idea what sort of damage you've caused!?
Edge: We are prepared to take you to court and to ensure that you will never publish again.
O'Connell: *Wiping the sweat from his large forehead with a napkin from his McDonald's lunch* Listen, almost everyone has tried to take us to court. We know the procedure ... if we upset your wives, well, you're just going to have clean that up yourselves. Go buy them an extra diamond or something, you know how women are.
*The Fly, faster than anyone can move to stop him is on top of the sweaty editor with his hands around his neck.*
The Fly: LOOK ASSHOLE, I've personally dealt with men that could eat you for breakfast and I have no qualms about *The Lawyers all turn away, plugging their ears and singing* choking you to death right bloody now if you don't do what I want!
O'Connell: What do you want?
The Fly: I want you to phone my wife and his wife and apologize. And then I want you to stop your presses and print a retraction and publish it as a special edition. In fact, you are going to let me write a piece on you and THAT is going to be page fucking two!!!
O'Connell: You're crazy!
The Fly: *Slamming the editor's head into the floor* ARE YOU JUST CATCHING ON TO THIS NOW!!!!??? OF COURSE I'M FUCKING CRAZY!
Edge: Fly...
The Fly: Edge, shut up.
Larry: *Grinning* Let the man work Edge. It's okay.
O'Connell: What are you going to-
The Fly: I'm NOT FUCKING FINSHED YOU RUDE SON OF A BITCH!!! You're going to sign a contract saying that you can never show a picture of or even mention my wife ever again, and that if you do I can legally rip your arms off.
O'Connell: Okay...what are you going to do if I don't do these insane things?
The Fly: *Leaning down closer to the now purple O'Connell and ripping his shades off to reveal enraged blue eyes* I'm a celebrity. I'm probably the biggest fucking celebrity in the fucking world...I can get away with anything... So it doesn't really matter what I want to do to you now, it's what I'm going to do to you after I've had a few months to sit around and make some calls to some very powerful people and plot the miserable end of your fucking life. How about that?
O'Connell: *He inhales and realizes that The Fly is right. He's written about the power of such celebrities for years...* Fine. fine. I'll do it...just get off me.
*Five minutes later...*
O'Connell: *On the phone*Hello? Is this Mrs. The Fly? *He looks at The Fly who is holding a tire iron he took from the car and smirking at him* My name is Earnest O'Connell, I'm from the Enquirer...no, no I'm not a reporter ma'am. I just want to call to apologize for printing some unflattering things about you in my magazine and to assure you that a full retraction will be printed next week *The Fly frowns and winds up with the tire iron* I MEAN TOMMOROW!!! tommorow! *The Fly smiled and stopped the swing* You are a...*The Fly made a "go on" movement* lovely, intelligent woman and I will never print anything about you again. I have had to sign a contract saying so. I hope I haven't disturbed you...yes, good evening ...good bye.*He hung up the phone and looked at The Fly, sweating* Was that to your satisfaction?
The Fly:*Proudly* Yes.
Larry: *trying not to laugh*Your call to my wife was also very nice, well done.
Edge: So..are we done here?
The Fly: Well, I do want to see tommorow's special edition before we leave...*A clerk came bearing the freshly printed copy* Hell! That was quick.
O'Connell: My staff are efficient.
Larry: Too bad they work for an asshole like you. *He took the cover and looked at it and snickered* Perfect.
The Fly: Lemme see!! Lemme see!!! *He grabbed it and turned through the pages pointing and laughing through his cigarette so hard that he was crying* Oh man....YEAH! Whew! Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. *He stops laughing and throws the magazine on O'Connell's desk.* If this doesn't go out tommorow, I'm coming back here...
O'Connell: *Looking down* I understand.
The Fly: Pefect...*He tilted his head to the side.* Hey can I just do one more thing?
O'Connell: *Sighing* What?
The Fly: I just wanna fix yer hair for you, it's all messy. *He reaches over and rips O'Connell's toupee off and throws it out the window.* There. You had something on your head.
*The three men walk out with their lawyers, laughing and The Fly turns to close the door, his leather jacket creaking. He blew somoke in the office* Oh...and O'Connell?
O'Connell: Yes?
The Fly: Don't ever put me on hold again... I fucking hate that.
*The headlines of the special edition that hit the newsstands that day proclaimed that neither The Fly nor Larry were leaving their wives, that Larry was not a devil and that The Fly's wife was a lovely, healthy woman who should be left alone. Inside, there was a five page article on O'Connell's experimentation in beastiality, his eating disorder, his crack addition, his bedwetting, and his membership in the Britney Spears fan club.It was the fastest selling issue of The Enquirerer in history. Mr. O'Connell resigned the next day.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-26-2001).]

*Bluephisto hung up the phone softly..what an odd call. She had no idea what that was all about. She shrugged and walked back to the living room where she had been flipping through channels on the television. She buried herself under the blankets she dragged off the bed and flipped through channels...talk shows and informercials flickered across the screen. She came to Mtv and stopped... there was her husband, on tv, a camera swinging around him as he sang "You're the real thing, yeah...the real thing...you're the real thing...". She smiled. She never for a second forgot how lucky she was, but it was moments like this that she was really astounded by her good fortune. The phone rang again and she blew a kiss at the screen as she walked back to the kitchen.*
Bluephisto: Hello?
Bono: Bluey? Hi.. Can I talk to you?
Bluephisto: Ummm, sure Bono. *Her heart began to beat very fast*
Bono: Something happened, I...I don't know how to tell you, I feel like it's all my fault...*He paused searching for the right words*
Bluephisto: *To her surprise, tears burned in her eyes and she felt weak. She spoke in a trembling voice,* Oh my God. Bono...he's dead isn't he? *She broke down crying, all the guilt she felt for many months bubbled up inside her.* I never should have left, this is all my fault. I wanted to tell him so much, and I just... *She put the phone down and sobbed...she knew it, Macphisto had slipped away and it was all her fault. She heard Bono's voice, tinny and distant in the reciever*
Bono: Bluey? Bluey? *In the mansion, Macphisto also heard Bono calling her name over the phone and his eyes narrowed. What was he doing calling her? He quietly picked up the phone in his office to listen in...to see what those two were saying about him, and he watched Bono through the crack of the open door*
Bono: Bluey? Pick up...Are you okay? Please pick up...*She started to cough and Bono frowned, although the coughing ceased quickly, her sobbing continued.* Bluey? *She finally picked up the reciever again, still very distraught at Macphisto's imagined death*
Bluephisto: I never should have married him like that... I was stupid and rash and I've never felt so guilty in my entire life. God. What was I thinking?
*Macphisto almost dropped the phone and he had to sit down ... what did this mean? Did she and her husband have a fight?*
Bono: Bluey, please listen.
Bluephisto: Bono, he had no idea that I still loved him did he?
*Macphisto frowned, who were they talking about?*
Bono: Bluey, wait... Macphisto is fine. You misunderstood, I'm sorry. I wasn't clear.
Bluephisto: *Sniffing* He's okay?
Bono: Yes. He's giving me a rough time but he's fine.
Bluephisto: *After a silence, audibly relieved* Oh God...Bono, when you said something happened I thought that he had...
Bono: No. No. He's just fine.
*Macphisto's mind raced... she still loved him? For an instant he smiled, but the smile evaporated immediately as he remembered what The Father had said..."She might even come back to you, she may say many things but just remember what you have learned: that a Demon shall not know silence, nor weakness ... nor love. Just rememeber that and she can never hurt you again. Don't believe her whatever you do. She doesn't love you, she just thinks she does, and she will embarass you like this over and over and over." He clenched his jaw,*
Macphisto: *Thinking to himself* He was right. I shouldn't let myself get caught up in her words. That's all they are, just words...she doesn't love me, there is no such thing as love and I will NOT allow myself to get tangled in her little delusion again. No. Forget it, just forget this.
Bluephisto: Oh....okay, alright...*She sighed* I'm sorry. I'm not thinking straight. It's been a rough day.
Bono: Really, what's wrong?
Bluephisto: Well, if you don't tell my husband...
Bono: Go ahead
Bluephisto: I passed out...twice. Once when Larry was visiting and once just an hour ago...
Bono: Oh ...Bluey. Are you okay?
Bluephisto: Yes. But... there is something else. I don't know if I should tell you or not.
Bono: What is it?
Bluephisto: No, you tell me your thing first. Go on.
Bono: If you're sure...
Bluephisto: Yes.
Bono: Well, I've been having strong feelings for Bona. Very strong. I don't know what's got into me...I kissed her twice already and she didn't return it, but she's all I can think about.
Bluephisto: Oh Bono... you could fall for this.
Bono: But that's the strange thing. I'm not loosing feathers, I'm not falling for it.
Bluephisto: So... it's some kind of plan?
*Macphisto lit a cigar quietly and smoked with slightly trembling fingers, he had to admit. Hearing her voice again was ... pleasant, pleasant was a sensation he hadn't felt since she left and he regarded it as one would regard an intruder.*
Bono: I guess so... what should I do?
Bluephisto: I don't know Bono...sorry. Maybe try to stay away from her for a while... try asking for guidance, have you prayed about it? *Macphisto cringed at the word "pray"*
Bono: No.
Bluephisto: Try that. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Bono: Thanks Bluey. It's good to talk to you.
Bluephisto: No problem Bono, anytime. I'll talk to you later?
Bono: Sure...*He went to hang up and then remembered* Bluey?
Bluephisto: Yes?
Bono: What was it that you wanted to tell me before?
Bluephisto: Oh...nothing
Bono: Bluey, don't lie to me...
Bluephisto: Okay, but you CANNOT tell anyone.
Bono: Okay. What is it?
Bluephisto: I just found out today.
Bono: What?
Bluephisto: I'm pregnant.
*Macphisto dropped his cigar*

*The Fly walked in the house and tiptoed up behind his wife, all he heard was her saying good bye and hanging up. She turned and jumped, he smiled*
The Fly: Hey baby! How you doing?
Bluephisto: *She smiled and caught her breath* Pretty good, you?
The Fly: I...am....great!!!! *He took off his glasses and his eyes shone a heavenly blue. She sighed.*
Bluephisto: I saw you on tv.
The Fly: What was I doing?
Bluephisto: Dancing around...singing.
The Fly: *Stepping closer to her* Oh I see... And what did you think?
Bluephisto: I thought that I have a very handsome husband.
The Fly:* He kissed her, still keeping his hands behind his back. She smiled at the touch of his warm lips.*I brought you a present...
Bluephisto: Really? For me?
The Fly: Yeah. First of all, these are for you. *He handed her a bunch of flowers.* I stole them just for you out of a planter!
Bluephisto: You did? *He really had. The magazine offices had elaborate rose gardens out front and he refused to leave until he had harvested all their flowers for Bluey. While she was still laughing, he ran to the garage door, talking over his shoulder*
The Fly: But that's not the main thing, baby...the coming attraction is...uhh, coming. I feel bad leaving you alone here when I'm out. I know it must be nice not to have the racket and the sexy man walking around all the time, but I thought you might like some company so I got someone for you to meet...
Bluephisto: Oh, who is it?
The Fly: *Turns around, and shows her a tiny little yellow lab puppy in his hands. Bluey's jaw drops and she clasps her thin hands together and walks to the puppy slowly* Here he is meet... Elvis.
Bluephisto: *The puppy whimpers and looks at her with big brown eyes* Oh...he's so cute!!!!
The Fly: Yeah, but look at the PUPPY!!! *She laughs and pets the soft little head of the tiny dog* That's right, the King of Rock and Roll is now yours to pee on your carpet, guard your house, and sleep on your feet. Actually, unlike the real Elvis, this little guy is housebroken! *Bluephisto takes the puppy in her arms and kisses his head, the fuzzy puppy licks her hand in return.* So...you like him?
Bluephisto: *She looks up, smiling brilliantly* I LOVE him...he's perfect!!! *The Fly reaches over and makes the puppy's mouth move like it's talking and tries badly to throw his voice*
Puppy: So...you like him?
Bluephisto: *Laughing and looking at The Fly* I LOVE him, he's perfect. *She leans over the puppy and kisses her husband sweetly, he wraps his arms around her and pulls his lips away gently to murmur,*
The Fly: Oh yeah, another satisfied customer. *she laughs and his kisses her again* Come to Fly-Mart where we cater to all your needs! *He kisses her laughing mouth again* Refunds are impossible and never accepted...you bought it, you keep it forever baby.
Bluephisto: I won't be returning anything!
*Later that evening, Bluey and The Fly are curled up in bed and the puppy is sleeping beside them.*
Bluephisto: Do you think we should let him start sleeping on the bed?
The Fly: Awww, it's his first night here! Just for tonight. Look at him...*The Fly scratches the puppy's golden head and the puppy stirs* He's sleepin like a little baby! *Bluephisto's face sinks. She'd love to tell him. That they have a baby now, right now, inside her. She had been throwing up and just on a gut feeling ran to the store while The Fly was out the second time and got a pregnancy test, just to rule it out. When she read the test, that's when she passed out for the second time. She woke up again, alone and for a moment she was happy until the realization set in... she wouldn't live to give birth to her child. her child. She had never planned on having children, but she knew that The Fly would be a wonderful father... but it could never happen. She knew she only had a few months left. It would be too cruel to tell him.*
Bluephisto: He's very sweet.
The Fly: Yeah, and so fuzzy! It's good to not be the hairest thing around here now...I was starting to get self conscious! Hey, baby...something wrong?
Bluephisto: No...just tired.
The Fly: *Turning away from the puppy to face her.* Well, maybe you should go to sleep...or is it just too exciting to be in bed with two kings of Rock at the same time?
Bluephisto: Yes...I'm just over excited, you both wear me out.
The Fly: I can tell he loves you.
Bluephisto: *A little defensive* Who?
The Fly: The King baby! But not as much as me. *He kissed her cheek and stroked her hair and watched her fall asleep. Behind him, the puppy shifted and he smiled. It would be so great to have a little human baby...Maybe if she pulled through this, maybe. He sighed.
His entire life was built around "maybe" right now.*

[This message has been edited by blueeyes (edited 12-26-2001).]

Adam and Fishy had been touring the world for almost six months now and things couldn?t be better. They had seen almost every spectacular inch of the world, and even some not so spectacular ones. But it had all been worth it. Adam and Fishy were like night and day, they had so many differences, so many obstacles to overcome as lovers, but just as the sun and the moon, they complimented eachother perfectly. They spent every waking moment together?at night however, things changed?and never were their differences more apparent.

Most nights Fishy would simply lay in Adams arms, sometimes she would leave now and again when Adam was asleep to check up on the webmistresses and catch flack for her long hiatus from webwork. But she was always back in her angels arms when he awoke in the morning, where he thought she had been all night long. She felt bad for deceiving him, but Phistos couldn?t sleep, and the nights of simply laying there were too much for the fidgety Fishy to bear.

She was lying to herself...she knew Phistos could sleep, and Adam knew it too. And they both knew that a Phisto could only sleep in the presense of someone they truly trusted. Trust. A foreign concept to a devil. Devils made a living off of deception, lies, cheating...how could a devil possibly learn to trust another being, when they couldn?t even trust themselves? Fishy thought trust would come with Love, and she thought she felt love for Adam, but still there was no sleeping. Did she really love Adam? Could love exist without trust? No, not true love. But could infatuation cause feelings this strong? And if so, what was holding her back from crossing the line to love? Fishy lay awake one night in Adams arms contemplating all of these things...

Fishy: *internal thoughts* I have to get out of here...I have to think...*she slid out of Adams grasp, and out into the cold night air, she knew exactly what was wrong, but she couldn?t bring herself to admit it* Why can?t I sleep? I love Adam, and he loves me... but he wouldn?t love me if he knew about my past...OH WHY can?t I have a past filled with carnage and deceit like all of the other Phistos? Atleast that would be something Adam would expect...something he could forgive...but my past is too shameful for even me to admit to myself...face it Fishy you are a loser through and through...and the second you tell Adam, he will leave you. Does he know what kind of an idiot he is in love with? Does he have the right to know? Probably. But what will he do when he finds out I have been lying to him for all of these months? He was so happy when he thought I had started to sleep, I couldn?t break his heart and tell him I was just resting my eyes...besides it feels so good to cuddle...I?ll miss that when he?s gone...but I must not deceive him anymore. He has been nothing but honest with me and he deserves that in return...I will tell him in the morning...we will take a walk in the snow and everything will be made new...even me...love me or leave me...Adam will find out tomorrow.

Fishy began the long walk back through the snow, looking forward to curling up in Adams arms for possibly the last time. As she walked, it began to snow, and she began to cry. Tomorrow there would be truth, but tonight she would crawl back into her bed of lies, and lay next to the one she loved. She entered the cabin and slipped on one of Adams tunics?she loved laying in them?and invisioned herself falling asleep to the smell of him one day...she slipped into bed and carefully snuggled up next to Adam...she had just closed her eyes...

Adam: *sarcastically* How?s the nightlife?

[This message has been edited by FishNeedsABicycle (edited 12-26-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom