Homoeroticism in the Numb video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
God, dontcha love it when Bono is singing to Edge with his hand on Edge's shoulder, tightly, and rubbing his neck and chin on Edge's other shoulder? Oh man! Makes this perverted girl all shakey!! Whew! This'll probably turn into another one of those "are they or aren't they" threads. Fine with me; post all the pics you can find!

Off to bed now. Sweet dreams for this one.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

That's my favorite part of the video! You can see his hand in this one!
bX51896.jpg

bX51896.jpg
[/B][/QUOTE]

Feck! I really envy "The"!!!

He's got 2 fecking good looking TAMALES close to him!!! *jealous*

*spills her coffee on the face to refresh the temperature, don't worry: The coffee got cold a looooong time ago*
biggrin.gif

------------------
*~"Bono's Pupeteer"~*

*Whew.*

It's great to hear from someone who isn't skirting coyly around the homoeroticism issue. I honestly don't think Bono and Edge are having a torrid affair, but I do love the idea of it.

I was watching this thing on VH1 about the way rock stars represent male sexuality, and they noted many instances of the homoerotic relationship between lead singers and their guitarists on stage. (No mention of drummers. Must be a proximity issue.) I think what Bono and Edge have is unusual not simply in that they are affectionate, but the nature of their affection. What many people, even fans, fail to realize is that U2 have been constantly in each others' presence for 25 years. There are very few bands besides U2 who have always had the same members - no additions, no losses (excluding Dik Evans, who left the band when it was still called The Hype). They all came together as friends, unlike bands formed from members of other bands who networked (like the Police or the Beatles did) or from music industry mixing and matching (like the Spice Girls). These men all have a unique relationship with each other.

I do not think that the relationship between any two members of U2 is any stronger than any other. However, the relationship, however homoerotic, between Bono and Edge is more visible because they are the two most prominent members of the group.

What I find most fascinating, personally, is not just the nature of the relationship between these two, or any two, men, but why certain women are so taken with it. Is it because these women are uncomfortable with their own sexuality and want to enjoy male sexuality without themselves being involved? Is it an expressed desire to see one of the men in a submissive role? Or is it just, you know, double your pleasure, double your fun?

For those of you interested in such things, there is a book called "NASA/Trek" which in part analyzes Star Trek slash fiction. The studies of the author can be applied to any perceived/fictional homoerotic relationship.

Martha, I'm with you. That part in the "Numb" video is getting worn out from my having watched it so many times. For afficionados of their homoerotic relationship, I'd recommend one particular site: there's a lot of really well-written (and some not-so-well-written) U2 slash fiction on fanfiction.net, a site which unfortunately is down about 25% of the time for endless overhauls.

-Echo

PS. Mrs. Edge, when you write my PLEBA story, can it be just Bono and Edge, and maybe me with a camera?
smile.gif

------------------
Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure
Experience it at http://www.geocities.com/bonogoestovegas

The Official PLEBA Glossary: Replacing Crippling Confusion With Mere Disorientation!
Version 4.0 is at:
http://www.vodkatea.com/g/glossary.asp?gid=165

PS. Mrs. Edge, when you write my PLEBA story, can it be just Bono and Edge, and maybe me with a camera?

*AAAAAHHHHH!!!*
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by martha:
God, dontcha love it when Bono is singing to Edge with his hand on Edge's shoulder, tightly, and rubbing his neck and chin on Edge's other shoulder? Oh man! Makes this perverted girl all shakey!!

Hey Martha, have you seen the video for "Love is Blindness"??? OH BABY. Bono lays one on Edge in sllloooowww moooo and then Edge sort of...rocks back in what looks like ecstacy and wails on his guitar...WHOO! It's enough to give a girl ideas....
eek.gif

HOWEVER!!! For me, a little Bono-n-Edge snuggling is one thing, but anything about outright Bono ON Edge shagging makes me wanna hurl!
eek.gif
I love that the guys are so close and comfortable with one another that they can do 'all that' on stage, but any more than that, I think I'd run screaming from the concert hall!
eek.gif

disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 10-31-2001).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:

HOWEVER!!! For me, a little Bono-n-Edge snuggling is one thing, but anything about outright Bono ON Edge shagging makes me wanna hurl!
eek.gif
I love that the guys are so close and comfortable with one another that they can do 'all that' on stage, but any more than that, I think I'd run screaming from the concert hall!
eek.gif

God!
eek.gif

Can you imagine if they started going with each other on stage?

eek.gif

The Bono/Liam pics were enough for me thanx!

Originally posted by Bonoforever:
God!
eek.gif

Can you imagine if they started going with each other on stage?

eek.gif

The Bono/Liam pics were enough for me thanx!

hehehe

gr61.jpg

edbo-ab16.jpg

edbo-pop2.jpg

edbo-pop5.jpg

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by Echo:
Or is it just, you know, double your pleasure, double your fun?

one particular site: there's a lot of really well-written (and some not-so-well-written) U2 slash fiction on fanfiction.net, a site which unfortunately is down about 25% of the time for endless overhauls.

just Bono and Edge, and maybe me with a camera?
smile.gif

Echo, pardon me for quoting you out of context, but I don't know how to double quote yet. Anyway, the fanfiction.net U2 page is high on my bookmark list, and one my husband won't hear about
wink.gif
I've always liked the idea of great looking guys having a thing for each other, especially when they're both straight. God help me!

Hey Disco, that section of Love is Blindness may be the only reason I watch that vid.
smile.gif

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

they're friendly...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

i say, let it be!!!

------------------
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Remember, kids, when asking for candy you should consider replacing "treat" with another delicious word, the birthday boy's name...

TRICK OR LARRY!!!

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

omg i'm so glad i found this forum. it makes me feel so much better about myself, that i'm not alone. lol

i thought i was the only one completely enthraled by larry and bono singing at edge in numb, esp bono hanging on him. lol.

*compulsively checks her mailbox for her numb video to arrive*

my roommate lives at fanfiction.net and has been devistated the last few weeks that it's been down. she's not a u2 fan (except she loves edge) but was kind enough to let me know about all the fiction on there about them even tho she knows i'm not all that interested lol. i did take a look....but she doesn't know that
smile.gif

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

with my teeth at your back
and my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

That was a very interesting post, Echo! With me, I am just so attracted to the idea that two straight men could be so uninhibited in showing their genuine love for each other. Talk about confidence in your masculinity and being in touch with your feminine, nurturing side at the same time! That to me is exceedingly sexy.

Slash kind of fascinates me, thrills me and grosses me out all at the same time! The thing about Bono/Edge combo slash stories is you can imagine being either or both of them at the same time and it's almost like having your own threesome.

I honestly don't know if I could ever write a slash story, unless it were extremely subtle. It would certainly broaden my repertoire!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Echo:
smile.gif

Hmmmm...what would good old Mom think of a story like that, Jess??
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
That was a very interesting post, Echo! With me, I am just so attracted to the idea that two straight men could be so uninhibited in showing their genuine love for each other. Talk about confidence in your masculinity and being in touch with your feminine, nurturing side at the same time! That to me is exceedingly sexy.

Slash kind of fascinates me, thrills me and grosses me out all at the same time! The thing about Bono/Edge combo slash stories is you can imagine being either or both of them at the same time and it's almost like having your own threesome.

I honestly don't know if I could ever write a slash story, unless it were extremely subtle. It would certainly broaden my repertoire!!!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom