hmmmmmmmmm................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
I have been doing a lot of thinking about this starting a band thing. I think I have decided to give up on it bc I think that nobody will take me seriously if I get any calls back for starting it and shite my family thinks its a joke and my mom thinks that im wasting my time on writing the stuff that im writing. My Gram says that I need to concentrate on school and that Im wasting my time on wanting to start the band but I should try to get my poems published. So Im a weee bit depressed and the fact that my aunt is still trying to set me up with that guy isnt helping and also my friends, at college all have bfs! I dont have a LIFE at all. Ill I do is go to school and come home and use the computer and writing poems and listen to music that is it. I feel like Im going to be stuck at my parents house for ever bc I dont have any way to leave or a LICENSE for that matter. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry girls I just had to rant! I love ya all!:kiss:

Kristie said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
if YOU dream of starting a band it doesn't matter a whit what anyone else thinks

KEEP TRYING hon

Ugh! I dont want to give up but I think that there are to many things going against me!

1) I sing like crap but I carry a tune

2) I have been trying to learn the guitar for 2months and still havent gotten!

3) I have been asking ppl and posting notes all over the place to start and band for over 4 weeks and STILL NO RESPONSE!

4) My poems and songs or whatever they are called are so retarded its not even funny!

5) I have no one supporting me with this other than you girls and my brothers gf!

6)the list can go on and on and on!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Im copping out or feeling depressed, I dont know about anything right now!!

On top of everything Im going to be 20 in January and will be license less and prolly job less and stuck at my parents house!!!! and Im scared about turning 20 bc I dont wanna get older and still be stuck in the same:censored: spot that I have been in for the last 20 years!

Take it one day at a time. Work on goals. You want to get a license, work on that. You want to get a job, work on that. You want to move out, work on that. You want to start a band, work on that. You want to learn guitar, work on that. Break everything down into small goals that you KNOW you can achieve. And maybe just concentrate on one thing at a time. I know I get frustrated with myself when I have too many things I want to do at this very moment. At that point I make a list and find out what's most important to me. Then I begin to slowly work on the things...and somehow they all get done.

Try not to get discouraged. (((Kelly))) You have SO much going for you! And you know we'll support you, no matter what happens!

And don't worry too much about guys. I'm almost 20, too, and I haven't really had any serious relationships. My last relationship was over 5 years ago. There are times when I get lonely and depressed. I look at other people who are in happy relationships and I think "Man, I REALLY want that! Why not me?" But then something happens to make me glad I'm not tied down to someone.

As for the band thing...are there any student groups on campus that you could join and maybe meet some people with the same interests? That would also help you get out of the house some more. :)

And don't discount your song writing! Look at what some people get away with singing :| You're stuff is a LOT better than that!

(((Kelly)))

Here's a song dedicated to you....

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

You're dangerous 'cause you're honest
You're dangerous, you don't know what you want
Well you left my heart empty as a vacant lot
For any spirit to haunt

Hey hey sha la la
Hey hey

You're an accident waiting to happen
You're a piece of glass left there on the beach
Well you tell me things I know you're not supposed to
Then you leave me just out of reach

Hey hey sha la la
Hey hey sha la la

Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Who's gonna drown in your blue sea
Who's gonna fall at the foot of thee

Well you stole it 'cause I needed the cash
And you killed it 'cause I wanted revenge
Well you lied to me 'cause I asked you to
Baby, can we still be friends

Hey hey sha la la
Hey hey sha la la

Who's gonna fall at the foot of thee

Oh, the deeper I spin
Oh, the hunter will sin for your ivory skin
Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees the river laughing at you and me
Hallelujah, heavens white rose
The doors you open
I just can't close

Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, your gypsy heart
Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, and don't look back
Come on now love, don't you look back

Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses
Who's gonna take the place of me

Who's gonna tame the heart of thee

1) I sing like crap but I carry a tune

So Macy Gray can't sing either and people think she's the end all be all. If you can in your spare time take voice lessons...it can't hurt.

2) I have been trying to learn the guitar for 2months and still havent gotten!

Try a different instrument, like the drooms or piano.

3) I have been asking ppl and posting notes all over the place to start and band for over 4 weeks and STILL NO RESPONSE!

Are there people in your classes, that you think would be interested. Ask around, if they aren't maybe they know someone who is.

4) My poems and songs or whatever they are called are so retarded its not even funny!

How are they retarded? post some here... a lot of times you can be your own worse critic....don't be so hard on yourself

5) I have no one supporting me with this other than you girls and my brothers gf!

Well you're just getting started out....of course it's gonna take time to get people to see/recognize what it is you want to do. If you want this band bad enough you gotta work for. So what if you're family thinks it's "silly," at least it is better than you going out and doing illegal things in your spare time.

Hi hun!

Don't be so hard on yaself :hug:
You'll get there eventually!

I've been learning guitar for 3 years or so now, I'm still not great... I'm still worse than Bono, but the fact is that I'm still trying for it all the same! I've been trying to selfteach myself now since I cant have lessons anymore and I cant pay for the damn things.

I also sing, so just try your best. I tell ya something, my family arent supportive of me with this at all, and my mum would rather I publish stories, but instead of listening to her, I'm out on a limb on my own trying to pursue what I wanna do! So if I get there, they'd probably have their eyes open a little more!

But what the hell, my point is, keep trying and dont give up! You deserve the best hun! :D Take my words for it!

Good luck and I hope you figure out what ya wanna do!

:hug: Take care

Go ahead and let it all out?expressing your feelings is like ?throwing all your ideas on the table? look at them like puzzle pieces. Take a few pieces a time and put them together?..come back later and continue until you complete the whole picture. I know it sounds lame but it works for me.
On starting a band?.don?t forget how U2 started?.they couldn?t follow a tune but they loved music. I?m not musical at all (I wish I was) but my brothers are. They have been in and out bands since they were 12, one is 25 the other is 19. Although they have never been successful, they LOVE to play and be a ?band?. My parents have always told them that they can play music but they need something to fall back on. It seems that you have that covered so go ahead and go for it. My brother had no luck getting members for his band in beginning either but he scouted for people in his music classes. Don?t give up!!
As for not having a boyfriend, I can totally sympathize with you, I won?t tell you how many years I haven?t had a boyfriend but it?s not the most important thing in my life right know. You have to concentrate on yourself first and later I believe that you (& me) will get lucky!!!.

Don?t be your worst enemy??We believe in you!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
:)

Thanks for the kind words! Im sorry for complaining but this time in my life is really hard and its nice to know that I can talk to someone about it. I havent being feeling myself lately and maybe its a combo of stress bc school just started and Im not sure about what Im going to do with myself if I ever grow up! I thinking about going to see a counselor, so that I have someone to talk to besides you girls. But I dont know. once again Im sorry I just had to vent!

:hug:

Mona's words of wisdom:

:shifty: : you're wise?

Shut up, :shifty:.

:shifty: : yes ma'am

:lol: : HAHAHAAA

ok basically. It's ALL about the boys.

Like....I dunno where to find other girls interested in this kinda thing.

My first day of class I saw a guy listening to Bowie and assumed he must like cool music. It turned out he plays a bunch of diff instruments. Same with Michael. He talked in Philosophy of Song about A LOT of stuff that was just really impressive. Usually if someone knows their music, they make it too.

What else...
it's good to keep on writing. When I get in a writer's block mode I totally shut down. I can only work in shifts. It's good to write a little every day, even if it's just like observations of ppl. Writers are observers.

Join a choir or singing group. It'll help you exercise your voice and get better, and also meet people who are interested in the same thing. Even if you don't end up staying with them in a band or anything, you'll have had experience singing at least. If it's your bag, I suggest a church choir. That's what I'm doing. Bc like everything else requires an audition and I don't like singin by myself.

Musical people lead to more musical people. If you even find one person who plays something or is interested in music, usually they'll have friends who are into the same thing. It's connections and networking. Friend of a friend...

Also on a personal note check out ppls arms and sometimes you can tell if they play geetar. And if you're wrong, it was fun lookin at arms anyway :shifty: :rolleyes:

But seriously though... just talk to people. I mean anyone who knows me whom I've told about what I've done so far in college is like SHOCKED bc they're like "but YOU don't talk to strangers." But sometimes you just get guts or a feeling or something that you have to take a step.

Today in Phsyics of Music I was sitting next to this guy Kyle who had a CD player with him. I asked him what he was listening to and it was some underground Christian group. And he's a theater major and does some singing.

Just that kinda thing. Make the first move.

And I mean this is coming from someone who NEVER used to make the first move in talking to people.

Or advertise yourself. Carry yer geetar around campus if need be. I did that one day. IT KILLED ME though. But yeah.. increase awareness of yourself. Or be the person who always has the CD player with cool music so people will ask YOU what you're into. And it'll go from there.

Girls I went to high school with who go here now too are like "I saw you in the church choir...I never knew you did that. I was telling people I know you. How did you get in that?" It's like AMAZING to them that I found that so soon into college. It's amazing to ME too. But it's cool. People just have to get to know what you're into. And you have to know what they're into. Whichever way it starts up is yer decision though.

WOW I just ranted. OK. HA.

Good friggin luck!! :)

Oh wise and wonderful, Mona! Thanks for the advice and the same to everyone else! The reason why I started this thread is bc my dad was rubbing me the wrong way about everything last nite! Ever since OUR fight, He tries to get me to cry or get pissed off at him so that he can yell at me in return. Argh! So last nite he just was being a punk and when he does that it makes me second guess myself and even makes me want to just give up to make him happy.

Again....it's all about the boys

I was doing homework....well I was actually reading Jim Morrison in the lounge today (bc it is too friggin hot in the rooms) and this guy from my floor comes in with a geetar. JUST SO RANDOMLY. He was playing the Hives and I go "Is that the Hives?" And move to the sofa that's near his chair. He says "yeah" and we talked about playing. He's only been playing fer like a month so I was like MAYHAPS I'M BETTER THAN HIM but it was just cool.

He was also biting heads off animal crackers. Kinda sketchy. Like JUST the heads. But anyway. It was cool.

I think moving out is a big part of it.

There's no way I would have been able to have done so much and met these ppl if I lived at home.

I mean I know people have their reasons for living wherever they live.... but it gives you more opportunity to go places and meet people

Also you can sometimes tell ppl by their clothing if they're into music. AS WEIRD AS IT MAY SEEM. Like this guy in the lounge, Matthew, wears this armygreen wristband with a red star on it.

I remember seeing him wearing that on our first floor meeting, and thinkin "that guy play somethin."

Mayhaps it's just Spidey Sense.

It's all about your mindset...If you don't think you can do it, you can't and won't...BUT...if you think you can and really, really, want it, you will! Remember, the guys didn't start out as master musicians either! :happy:

I'd be in yer band! :D :hug:

maybe people are just sort of shy about responding. I dunno, if I saw an ad around here for being in a band, I'd prolly never even think of trying, but if I met someone face to face in the hall and s/he said "hey, wanna start a band?" I'd give it a try.

Keep it up! there must be SOMEBODY out there.....

Go for it, girl! What have you got to lose?

:)

I wish I were musicially talented, I would love to be in a band. I guess I can settle for being :shifty:'s groupie. :silent:

As a writer myself, going through a spell of writer's block, I say keep at it, write everything down and let the ideas, good or bad, flow.

:lol:- He's got groupies?

Back
Top Bottom