He's Back in Ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Bono checks into hotel tycoon's bash
Sunday November 11 2007

SO did they sing Happy Birthday, Mr President for their host? Well, no, actually, but none the less Bono and The Edge were proud guests at Irish property tycoon Derek Quinlan's 60th birthday beano in Claridge's in London last weekend. Did I mention that Quinlan actually owns the famous hotel? So the pair -- that's Bono and the Edge -- could have lifted the rafters. But, hey, I forgot they have a hotel of their own to do that in, if they like. Bono might even have composed a song about the Irony of Irish property giants going to London to mark their birthdays when the Irish property market is crashing.

However, since the world is a small place, I should mention that Quinlan is an investor in Bono and the boys' Clarence, so I guess that song would not have been appropriate.

Quinlan's company bought The Savoy Group -- which included the Savoy, Claridge's, Berkeley and Connaught hotels in London -- in 2004. Del Boy later sold the Savoy Hotel to the Bank of Scotland and Saudi billionaire, Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal Alsaud. He also owns the Four Seasons hotels in Milan, Budapest, Prague, and, of course, Ballsbridge.

There was no shortage of guests willing to make the short journey to London to help Quinlan -- and his beautiful wife Siobhan --celebrate his big day. Gerry Purcell and his wife, Aisling, Paul and Margaret Anderson (Shrewsbury Road neighbours of Quinlan's), former Attorney General and Four Seasons investor Dermot Gleason and solicitor Peter Donnelly.

Doubtless, the U2 star and the birthday boy enjoyed a long conversation on An Taisce's on-going difficulties with the various planning permissions to extend the Clarence. Or maybe Bono, who has property investments in New York, was looking for advice from Quinlan, who has a giant portfolio in America: last year his company paid $18.7m for a five-storey Upper East Side townhouse with its own wood-panelled library, a garden and elevator straight to the top. Where it's tough, I'm told.

Goody!

now just hoping to hear more and more about the album that's supposed to be in the making. larry, put your foot down, no letting Bono out of your sight till that album is done. just some of us can't wait to hear what coming next. :waiting:

JC
thankyou.gif

:yippie:

Errr, have you people really read this article? It says they were at the hotel bash in LONDON and as far as I know that's not in Ireland.

Anyway, it's not far, so I guess B & E were just taking a break from recording and hopping over.

last unicorn said:
Anyway, it's not far, so I guess B & E were just taking a break from recording and hopping over.

:yes: I think this was the intent of JC's updating.

B has been back in ireland and the vacinity since basically nov 3rd. That was my understanding after talking with Brian the nite of the youth-aids gala in DC. Maybe jetting back and forth here and there still i guess. :shrug:

Maaaaan, why am I never in the right place in London??? Why was I sleeping on my couch yesterday instead of shopping in Mayfair?

Someone's set up an "IlikeU2" Facebook account where you can give your feedback to "Bono" about Wave of Sorrow. I'm sure he's sitting at his computer right now reading the five bejillion comments about how Achtung is better than JT and how the Bomb was shite. :der:

Back
Top Bottom