Help me with the most important dinner of my life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Guys and gals -- i'm in desperate need for your help.
In a month a crowd of people -- included a guy I care a lot for -- will come ti my home for a dinner.
I've no idea of what to cook and, moreover, I've no abilities in cooking!
Please, suggest easy dishes to this desperate girl!
Possibly, vega food, coz some of my guests are vegans!

THANKS!

Crap, I don't have any advice for you. I screw up Easy Mac.

But I send positive waves of support your way! :hug:

Why don't you buy a cookbook that is not difficult. There are so many cookbooks now on every type of meal you can think of. Good luck!

I'd say salad with toast and hot cheese on it, that's always nice.
And then... sorry, no ideas!:(

Is it social or formal?
Roasted vegetable kebabs and spicy potato wedges are good social food, and really easy to make. Just get a packet of seasoning for the wedges and coat them in it, and you can bake the vegetables with some spices and then put them on kebab sticks with chunks of Tofu.
Very easy, trust me!

How many people is a crowd?

Is it a sit down dinner or casual, and how many courses?

Are you getting any help?

Suggest asking guy for help and suggestions (if possible).

Some fingerfood (that is dead easy to make):

Puff pastry cut into square with approx 1tspn good quality pate. Fold puff pastry over to make triangle shape. Cook in moderate oven approx 15mins and serve hot. These taste great (and I hate pate).

Another easy one is to go the the deli and just buy up on breadsticks and make bruschetta (chopped up tomatoes and basil). Toast bread lightly (stick in oven as guests walk in door on low heat and will be ready by the time you have got everyone a drink) and put tomato mix on top.

Or just buy up on cheeses, sundried tomatoes, turkish bread etc and put together a platter which people can just help themselves to.

If its a casual get together do a vegetable lasagne and a big green salad.

Desert: Dead easy. One block of plain chocolate and one carton of thickened cream. Put cream in heavybased saucepan and bring just to boil (about two minutes). Take off heat. Break up chocolate and mix in. Best chocolate sauce. Serve as a fondue with fresh fruit (rockmelon, strawberries, banana pieces - anything that looks nice. It will all taste great with the chocolate). This can all be done before hand.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks -- I print your suggestions and will study them hard!

The dinner is not formal, and I just found out we will celebrate 2 birthdays too -- so I expect 30/40 people (luckily my house's big!)

wow, that's ambitious of you--30 to 40 people!

any chance you could make it at least semi-pot luck? pot luck might be a good option especially where you have some vegans in the mix. if not, you might want to ask them for some ideas or tips--maybe they'd have some yummy vegan recipes to share with you.

you can't go wrong with the veggie lasagna/garlic bread/salad combo. easy to make, and soooooo tasty.

good luck!

Hi! I have some suggestions

Hi! I am new to the boards :wave:

I am a vegetarian and I LOVE to cook. I know a ton of recipes you can do easily and make enough for a big crowd. I am alwyas in a rush, so I always keep recipes on hand that are yummy but not tough to make - though they will look lik eyou spent tons of time on them! :cute:

Good to impress a guy you like with. ;)

Sorry to sort of just but in, but when I saw you had to take some veggie type people into the mix, I knew I had some good stuff as I am used to cooking vegetarian food for people who usually eat meat, and getting them to like the veggie food :)

I know good desserts, too!

Do you want me to list them? Or do you want to e-mail me? I'm at ramonaq93@yahoo.com

I'd be happy to talk you through it :)

I saw other yummy ideas on the board, so you may have already decided what to make. If I can help out, I am delighted to :)

Either way, Best of Luck to you!!!!!!!

Peace and U2 Love,

Jenny (HowthGirl)

hi

cant respnd now but i make put together and cook [have cooked more in the past] both vegitarian & vegan meals.

I am also somewhat conversent in several "ethnic" cusines.....including:
Greek
Chinesse
Indian
Middle Eastern

They all have some of the best vegitarian & vegan dishes in the world. :love:.. I have done moderaretly complex, but have worked out over the years more simple but very tasty meals.

and I have been with a a rotating group of peole [several yrs back] who cooked for 30 40 ppl, too. :D

Intersted.... tell me hear in this thread/...I'll chck back in by thurs [could be tomorrow as well] good luck

Last edited:
30-40 is a lot for a sit down dinner

I would go the appetizer/buffet route :up:

Ask about food allergies/preferences

If anyone asks if they can bring something - say yes

Think about renting glasses, dishes and cutlery as this is a huge timesaver.

fah said:
30-40 is a lot for a sit down dinner

I would go the appetizer/buffet route :up:

Ask about food allergies/preferences

If anyone asks if they can bring something - say yes

Think about renting glasses, dishes and cutlery as this is a huge timesaver.

YES!
No, I'll go and ask, anyway, for vega reciepes!

According to you, it's too early to send the invitation?
The dinner will be on March 12...

as you can imagine, I'm a lil nervous...

I don't think it's too early
unfortunately, I don't know any decent recipies... I like the veggie kebob idea, though. My mom made them once for my boyfriend (he's a vegetarian). Very yummy.

No it is not too early to send the invitations out.

Vegetarian recipes??? Find out what type of vegetarian the person(s) are. If they are Vegan this means no animal products of any kind including eggs and dairy products.

I have some really good vegetarian recipes....I'll get them for you :yes:

Wow, nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end, Lady Luck! 30 - 40 people? I panic at more than four LOL.

Some good ideas from folks above here - I definately agree that it will be good to have a buffet, not a sit-down. Keep the place moving & lively.

A few tips to take or leave ...

Labelling
Put tags with the dishes/trays or print menus and post them on walls or in a frame on the serving table - that way you can specify what everything is. Then people can sort out their own dietary requirements and this avoids "is that chicken or tofu?" worries for your guests. Colour code serving trays, even. Red for meat, blue for vego type thing.

Lots of variety - have some vego , some meaty stuff. Instead of serving with sauces/dressings already on (eg pasta, salads, desserts) have them next to it so people can pick the one they like.

Try to miminise cutlery & messy stuff - pre cut lasagnes, roasts etc, and serve soft /small foods that don't need too much chopping up - it's hard to cut anything with a plastic knife while standing up.

You're going to need mega table/bench space - hire trestles if you can & stick everybody out in the backyard (pray no rain LOL!) This also miminises the spill&stain agony factor. :yikes:

Lastly, if you can, keep your kitchen clear. Serve the food somewhere else, that will help your sanity on the night. As hostess, you'll need somewhere to work, and also somewhere to catch a minute's quiet occasionally. You don't want to be dealing with guests trying to find drinking glasses while you're juggling birthday cakes & trays hot out of the oven. Beg, borrow or steal a large urn from somewhere so people can make a cuppa without invading the kitchen.

Good luck & have a brilliant night!

Cheers ~Ultra

Last edited:
fah said:
No it is not too early to send the invitations out.

Vegetarian recipes??? Find out what type of vegetarian the person(s) are. If they are Vegan this means no animal products of any kind including eggs and dairy products.

I have some really good vegetarian recipes....I'll get them for you :yes:

thanks!

UltraVelvet said:
Wow, nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end, Lady Luck! 30 - 40 people? I panic at more than four LOL.

Some good ideas from folks above here - I definately agree that it will be good to have a buffet, not a sit-down. Keep the place moving & lively.

A few tips to take or leave ...

Labelling
Put tags with the dishes/trays or print menus and post them on walls or in a frame on the serving table - that way you can specify what everything is. Then people can sort out their own dietary requirements and this avoids "is that chicken or tofu?" worries for your guests. Colour code serving trays, even. Red for meat, blue for vego type thing.

Lots of variety - have some vego , some meaty stuff. Instead of serving with sauces/dressings already on (eg pasta, salads, desserts) have them next to it so people can pick the one they like.

Try to miminise cutlery & messy stuff - pre cut lasagnes, roasts etc, and serve soft /small foods that don't need too much chopping up - it's hard to cut anything with a plastic knife while standing up.

You're going to need mega table/bench space - hire trestles if you can & stick everybody out in the backyard (pray no rain LOL!) This also miminises the spill&stain agony factor. :yikes:

Lastly, if you can, keep your kitchen clear. Serve the food somewhere else, that will help your sanity on the night. As hostess, you'll need somewhere to work, and also somewhere to catch a minute's quiet occasionally. You don't want to be dealing with guests trying to find drinking glasses while you're juggling birthday cakes & trays hot out of the oven. Beg, borrow or steal a large urn from somewhere so people can make a cuppa without invading the kitchen.

Good luck & have a brilliant night!

Cheers ~Ultra

:up:

I sent the invitation 10 minutes ago -- and I have recieved 3 confirmation already! wow!

here's a quike appetizer idea....good for the vegans & vegitarians and curiouscarny's.

yues as others said check out for allegies and any special dietary needs.

you can get very firm tofu.....Nasoya brand , if possible-been buying it for nearly 20 yrs..,.

cut it ealier in the day into about inch squaresand put it out for a while so it's not ice cold. Theneither have this stuff on the side in small bowls [with labels] to drizzle on, or drizzle it in several batches of different ethnic flavorings

Greek - oregano/ garlic powder & a perferably first-pressing olive oil

Tex-Mex- chilli powder, bit of fine-chopped oninions, & sweet peppers [green, red or yellow/orange] & fresh cillantro.

Indian- tumeric powder, a little cumin powder, perhaps alittle cardamoon powder, garlic & ginger powder and a sprinkling of really chopped cahsews. for veggies...finely chopped sweet peppers, shredded carrots.

Carribian Islands- cocconut milk, garlic, fresh cillantro, lime juice & fine chopped peanuts.

hope this helps.

Of course plently of tooth picks...:d>

Last edited:
More suggestions:

1. If possible prepare as much food as you can before everyone arrives. Makes your life much easier.

2. Delegate someone to be in charge of drinks and someone else (if possible) to "meet and greet" as your guests arrive.

3. A big bowl of punch is usually a good way to go!

Good luck

Tania said:
More suggestions:

1. If possible prepare as much food as you can before everyone arrives. Makes your life much easier.

2. Delegate someone to be in charge of drinks and someone else (if possible) to "meet and greet" as your guests arrive.

Good luck

punch! Good!
I'm afraid I'll eat everything before everyone arrives!

Tania said:
More suggestions:

Good luck

punch! Good!
I'm afraid I'll eat everything before everyone arrives!

and think that I also have to go and pick someone up by car...

Back
Top Bottom