Help me! I'm a cretin who doesn't understand boomspeed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bammo2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!
hey there

Today I decided to get myself a boomspeed account so I can link pictures to my posts instead of having to post attachments which are really irritating and use up bandwidth...

so I go to the boomspeed website to sign up for a free 1mb account, and on the registration page it asks me for a 'site description'

Am I being thick? Description of what site? This site? My own site (of which I don't have one!)? help - I'm an idiot!!! :confused: :banghead:

Of course, all these questions kind of presume that when I've got my boomspeed account I'm going to understand how the hell to use it!!!! :lol:

*edited to ask another question.....*

I know that you're only supposed to link pictures to auction sites if you have a free boomspeed account. If I use a free account for posting to this site, will I get my account closed down / big scary men knocking on my door / broken kneecaps??

Last edited:
I think when I subscribed to Boomspeed I just made a 'n/a' in this 'site discription' or maybe nothing at all. I think they don't need it if you're not going to build a site at boomspeed. If you want to build a site nevertheless at some point, you can still change everything in your profile.

You won't get your account closed down. I linked often to Intreference and they weren't ever any big scary men at my door...well, just once but he told me he was just a sales representative of vacuum cleaners. :shifty:

Don't worry too much about the sign up, the only things you really have to fill in are your name and email. The rest you can fake or let go.

Don't be so sure you won't get shut down. MANY people have- 30,000 have, including some PLEBA girls. I haven't been as of yet (knock wood) I think it's because I never go over my quota. The more you post, the more you get noticed. Really. Be careful. Once something big you posted drops off the page, delete it from your account. That way they won't be so likely to trace you for using too much bandwidth, and it clears your accout to upload more. 1 MEG isn't much in U2 pics, maybe 20-25 decent sized ones and your avatar.

Anyway, once you sign up, it's easy!! Go to BROWSE and click it. The name of your files will show up. Click the one you want. Wait for it to show up in the boomspeed screen. Then, do it all 10 times. Press UPLOAD and wait. Your pics will appear as a list of names. That means they are ready to be posted. You will not get thumbnails, only the list. Just type the addy here and it will show up. It's easy because the addy is ALWAYS just your file name with http://www.boomspeed.com in front of it. For example,

if I upload a pic called hotbono

my addy is http://www.boomspeed.com/

plus username

tabby02

plus file name

hotbono

total-

---->http://www.boomspeed.com/tabby02/hotbono.jpg

put the
tags around it. You don't even have to copy and paste if you remember the filename, just type it in!

<----was shut down. No big scary men come to your door, but one day when you sign into your account it says "your account has been disabled click here to see why" and then there is a riot act list. But before that you usually get a threatening email warning you to stop posting on message boards. Once your account is shut down, everything you posted will turn into red x's- it even happened to my sig and avatar:madspit: Then they offer to reinstate you for a paid fee, which I have not done, so I remain shut down.

I was caught and shut down twice! The first time they offered me the deal and I just made a new account with a new name, but alas I was caught and shut down again. This time, being a long suffering pic storer (lost my webshots, dotphoto, etc.) I bit the bullet and paid the $2 bucks for the 100meg storage. (it goes up to $6 first of the year) Now at last I can post my butt off without fear of being caught, at least for now. They seem to 'catch' you more if you post more, like Tabby said. You can go over quota easy. Even though they limit you to 1mg, if you have only 1 ounce of space left, you can keep uploading 10 more. That's how I got busted, I was 550 over due to the 'sexiest Bono pics ever' thread. I didn't want to delete anything so I left them all up and sure enough, I got shut down again. It took them a long time to reopen my account, but now I've got the motherlode baby and I intend to use it!

They seem to have 'purges' (going on a rampage catching violators) about every 2-3 months, so if you start right now you are probably safe until after the first of the year at least, I hope. Good luck.

I too got shut down and bit the bullet to pay for the 1 meg site

some how they screwed up and I got a 10,000 meg account for the same amount for now.

I don't have a free site so it is worht the money to be able to participate in the best forum PLEBA.

Back
Top Bottom