Happy Birthday, Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
leaningonawall_1xg.JPG

Happy birthday, Adam! And happy birthday to me, too! He's a wee bit older than me, but hey, I go for older guys! :sexywink:

Adam Clayton: A Birthday Tribute*

By Debbie Kreuser

We all know Adam Clayton. For over 25 years, this tall, handsome Englishman has been the bass player with U2. Laying down the rhythm patterns (along with Larry Mullen Jr.) upon which Bono and the Edge would build beautiful melodies and soul-stirring lyrics (Where the Streets Have No Name, Please, With or Without You, Beautiful Day, etc.), Adam Clayton has been an ESSENTIAL component of U2 from the beginning as Bono fully acknowledged (?Bono: In His Own Words?):

"Adam Clayton...if it wasn't for Adam Clayton I wouldn't be in U2. Adam Clayton found Paul McGuinness, our manager, Adam Clayton booked our first gigs. I owe so much to him. He's totally committed to being in U2." (March 1987)

"...Adam believed in the band before anyone else did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n roll was what he was going to do." (1988)

So, in order to fully recognize him on his special day, I have listed below some the contributions that Adam Clayton has made to U2 through the years and some of the reasons why we celebrate his special day:

1) U2's FIRST MANAGER
From the beginning when the band was still known as Feedback, Adam believed that the group could become something BIG and set out to MAKE THAT BELIEF A REALITY. As first manager of the band, Adam relentlessly made the contacts within the Irish music industry at the time (Bill Graham, Phil Lynott, Paul McGuinness, etc.) that would eventually propel the group into superstardom.

2) INDIVIDUALITY and INDEPENDENCE
Adam Clayton has always been known by friends and fans alike as a reasonable, intelligent and humorous person, unyielding in his determination to be his own man. This was demonstrated early in his life when at 17 years old, Adam streaked across the mall of Mt.Temple high school in February 1978. This show of unabashed individuality and independence would result in Adam's expulsion from Mt. Temple the following month (March 1978). These same attributes have become essential qualities of U2 through the years and have helped them to create their own identity, without compromise, in a music industry which demands conformity.

3) TEAM PLAYER
Adam Clayton has always known and demonstrated that U2 is about the strength of the unit. Whether in times of closeness or separateness in U2, Adam has always stood by his bandmates whether he agreed with them or not. Most notable was Adam's allegiance to U2 during the difficult "October" period. Then there is the extraordinary story Bono told about how Adam potentially risked his life to support him (Bono)during one tense concert in Los Angeles.

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing "Pride" thinking 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment." (Bono)

Adam has also been very firm in his support of his bandmates' pursuits outside of U2. Here is what Adam told Rolling Stone magazine in 2002 about Bono's humanitarian activities:

"You can't deny the penetration he has achieved. And it makes the rest of us realize that what we do is important to the group. We need to keep it going forward, to allow him to come in and out. Bono has a legitimate reason not to be around all the time. And we have a legitimate reason to make sure that the time we are all together is used wisely."

So, for being a true friend to his bandmates and a real gentleman to U2 fans, and for giving us some of the most dynamic and sensuous bass playing around ( If You Wear That Velvet Dress), we at Interference.com CELEBRATE ADAM CLAYTON and thank him for providing us with over twenty-five years of GREAT MUSIC and MEMORIES!

http://forum.interference.com/t89347.html

HAPPY B-DAY, SPARKY ! WE LOVE YOU TOO.

Hope that you have a year FULL of Love, Contentment, Health
and Everflowing Happiness.
:bow:

Jamila said:
"...Adam believed in the band before anyone else did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n roll was what he was going to do." (1988)

I have to thank him as I don't know how my life would be if there wasn't a band with the name U2.:heart:

(Thank you for posting Jamila)

I have grown ridiculously fond of Adam over the past three years. Not only is he getting older, but he's getting handsomer--quite the silver fox! He sounds like he's so kind and warm to the fans he's met. I also admire how he's traded the rock-n-roll lifestyle for a simpler, more balanced, alcohol-free way of life.

When I saw U2 in Brooklyn, I wanted to stand on Adam's side. I was pushed more towards the Edge side of the stage when I entered the park, so my vantage point for watching Adam was not the best. But I could feel his bass going through me...at times it seemed like it was controlling my heartbeat. It was like he was touching me with his music. And as Bono has said, "If you are close to the music and I am close to the music, we are close to each other."

Happy birthday, Adam. 45 never looked so good!

Happy Birthday, Adam!!!! :applaud:

Your personality still inspires me and your bass playing still rocks my wold. You're getting better and better as you get older and that's awesome! Congratulations and thank you for everything!!!

:bow: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom