Half my life ago....U2 were....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
Ok I've just had a shocking realisation....when U2 were last in NZ, it was 1993....2 yrs shy of half my life ago.....EEEEK!!!! Anyway, I thought it might be a bit of fun to post your favourite pics of the boys as they were, half YOUR lifetime ago..... eg if you're 30 like me, post pics of them 15yrs ago......

Here's my bit...

U2AB_0004.jpg

relazdressB.jpg

one_7.jpg

e968d02a.jpg

Well me for me that would be around 1996.

The beginning of the POP era. :drool:

(maybe that's why i have such a strong connection with that album?)

schnumi said:
Well me for me that would be around 1996.

The beginning of the POP era. :drool:

(maybe that's why i have such a strong connection with that album?)

Thats interesting....anyone else have connections like that ?

Half my life ago was 1993 (i'm 26). That was almost about when I started listening to them, when Zooropa came out. Zooropa is one of my favorite albums so that would be a conecton for me as well.

martha said:
14498whole_band_amnesty.jpg

1984. I was 22 or thereabouts.

Yup, me too...(actually I just looked at your profile, you're only 3 days older than me!) Actually I wasn't all that wild about The Unforgettable Fire :reject: after first being completely smitten by War so, while the U2 love was definitely there, it was on a slow simmer then.

March of 1997 when I was 9 and a half. Hmmm Pop era...my favorite Bono era, but not my favorite album :sigh: I don't have any pictures on my new computer :sad:

That would be 1984 for me.

I do love UF! Pride and TUF are amazing but I think Wire and Promenade are brilliant. And well Bad of course!

bwU2MoydrumCastleIrelandAC1984small.jpg

bwu2UFAC1984.jpg

Around 1981, I hadn't been much aware of U2 except for seeing them on OGWT and thinking the guitarist was allllriiight. Oh, and on TOTP. Too busy being an anarchist at the time ... but things were to change shortly afterwards. Here's the babes from back then.

doc-3977.jpg

bandboy_010.jpg

If these aren't 1981, blame Slopsy. She's just given me a tutorial on how to do the photobucket thingy. :confused:

martha said:

Half my life ago was ZooTv...

But recently found this pic, stuck in my high school phonebook,
and I thought, these guys have been with me for more then half my life!

I'm 15 so.. 1998? I hate math. Anyone knows any pictures from 1998? Whatever, here's some Pop era.

bonopopomgnv1.jpg

adampoptartre4.jpg

poplarryandtheedgejj0.jpg

hcbiggs2002 said:
My half life time ago would be circa 1983-84....

u21983.jpg

8932d0b2.jpg

:wink:

same for me. 1983 or so. i love that second pic of Bono, it's one of my favourites of him at this age.

Back then it seemed more possible to get to know them, because they were not superfamous yet. I like to think about what it would have been like just to have known the boys as friends in school and right after when they were struggling to become a band. Not as a fan. (of course that would have been in the late 70's). I would have liked that better than anything. especially with bono, once you're his friend, you're his friend for life. my kinda friend. :wink:

Last edited:
I used to work with a girl who met Bono and Edge in NZ back in the early 80's. They were walking along a street at about 10pm, she went over to them with her boyfriend to say hi and chatted with them for ages. Bono even went through his wallet to find some tickets to their gig for them.....but......he lost them....:giggle:

gluey said:
I used to work with a girl who met Bono and Edge in NZ back in the early 80's. They were walking along a street at about 10pm, she went over to them with her boyfriend to say hi and chatted with them for ages. Bono even went through his wallet to find some tickets to their gig for them.....but......he lost them....:giggle:

just the kind of thing i was sort of referring to gluey. thanks for your story. i could picture that you could easily hang out with them in the late 70's and early 80's. they've always been approachable as a band. so i'm sure that back in those days it must have been very common for people to just hang out with them and talk to them more at length then now a days, where you hope you might even be able get close enough to just see them well. and the conversations would have been awesome.

MsPurrl said:
September 25, 1976 (half my life ago), U2 was just being born in Larry Mullen's kitchen.

U2YoungKitchen.jpg

..Y'know Ms Purrl, you got to have the guys in your life for a long time. I wish that I'd noticed them earlier then I did. They'd been around for years before I finally stood up and took notice. And it took a very sad event in my life to finally find them. Now that I have, their music makes me feel kind of 'at home' if I hear them when I'm away. Does this make any sense? Their music is a safety blanket for me, when I hear them, I smile wherever I may be. They lifted me up when I was down. I don't think I'll ever find another band/kind of music that can do this.

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom