Guess Where Bono Was Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
He was at Harvard today addressing a group of student AIDS activists, professors and others regarding the ONE Campaign and the AIDS pandemic in Africa.

Here is the link to the only pic that I know of so far from Bono's day at Harvard:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/eve...oDMTA5bGcyMWMzBHNlYwNzc25hdg--?sp=-1&lsp=6000

There is a report of today's activities of Bono's day at Harvard in Zootopia but since I haven't asked the poster to share her story here, I'll just inform y'all that at least one eyewitness report of today's activities is out there to be read (she has some really excellent pics of Bono too).

So stay alert - and if anyone comes across any other pics or news stories about Bono's day at Harvard please post them here.

THANK YOU, BONO - :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thanks Jamila, that's a lovely pic of Bono at that link.

should've gone to Harvard :banghead:

Actually my denomination, which my college belongs to, literally, is a partner in the ONE campaign (the Christian Reformed Church/Christian Reformed World Relief Committee)...Bono just hasn't noticed us yet :shrug: :D

GAH... I just visited cambridge/Harvard/Boston this weekend... if only i would have stayed one more day... :mad:

:sad: :wink:

AWW so sorry you missed him ^^.

Thank you Jamila, those pics are wonderful.
How does Bono do it?
Concert, benifits, speeches, family, friends, fans!!!
That man is amazing:heart:

Here is an article in the Harvard student newspaper today about Bono's visit there yesterday:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=510399

Bono Promotes Activism at KSG

Rock star proposes future collaboration during question and answer session

Published On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:20 AM

By CLAIRE M. GUEHENNO

Contributing Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clad in his classic cowboy hat and tinted sunglasses, rock star Bono fielded questions from students and discussed a possible future collaboration with Harvard at an event held at the John F. Kennedy School of Government with University President Lawrence H. Summers yesterday.

With his charisma and Irish humor, Bono urged students to become involved in global development and in the fight against AIDS. Bono founded an organization Debt, Aids, Trade in Africa in 2002 to raise awareness and instigate change in these particular areas.

Summers kicked off the question and answer session asking Bono what the singer thought the key message “for the world’s political leaders” should be.

“The war on terror cannot be won without the war against poverty,” Bono answered.

Bono then addressed his interactions with politicians and the problems he has had reaching some people.

“I had some difficulty meeting with Berlusconi,” Bono said. “They don’t like me,” he added in an Italian accent.

Bono also emphasized the importance of the G8 summit, applauding the progress and the $50 billion increase of development.

Talking about the percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) given to aid, Bono said that the United States only gives around .17 percent, falling far short of his aim of .7 percent from all developed countries.

“No Americans know this,” Bono said. “In a recent poll, Americans said between 10 and 20 percent of the GDP has been spent.”

To fight AIDS and poverty, Harvard should play a key role in helping the grassroots efforts, Bono said.

“What Harvard and campuses can do is ferment the movement,” Bono said. “And that’s what’s going to change the game.”

In addition to student involvement, Bono said he and Summers had discussed the possibility of a future collaboration with Harvard. Bono said he could not specify the details of such a collaboration.

“I would love to work with Harvard,” Bono said. “There may be a way of doing something together which would be a plumb line of success in these areas both on the ground and on the donor side.”

Bono first came into contact with Summers during his time as Secretary of the Department of Treasury.

“Who is Bono?” Summers said of his initial reaction to meeting the singer. “Is that his first name or his last name?”

“He also thought the band’s name, U2, was a reference to the Cuban missile crisis,” Bono quipped. Since then, the two have cooperated closely. Bono gave Summers a shout out during U2’s concert Monday night and accepted Summers’ personal invitation last June to come to Harvard this fall.

Originally, Bono’s visit yesterday was supposed to include a meeting with faculty members specializing in the issues of AIDS in Africa and an address to students at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center. Unfortunately, Bono doesn’t make big speeches while his band is on tour, according to IOP Executive Director Catherine McLaughlin.

As a result, around 80 students representing various student organizations, including the IOP, the Harvard African Student Association and the Aids Coalition, were allowed to attend the closed event.

“The way we identified the student groups was based on their involvement in international development and global health issues,” McLaughlin said.

The students selected to attend were not disappointed.

“I thought it was absolutely fantastic for someone to be in his position and still care so much about the people and poverty in Africa,” said Jennifer Y. Lan ’07, a member of the IOP. “ I definitely wish he had more time but he’s Bono. He’s probably off to meet the pope right now or something.”

The event, which lasted just under forty minutes, was hosted by the Office of the President, the Institute of Politics (IOP) and the Harvard Institute of Global Health. Clad in his classic cowboy hat and tinted sunglasses, rock star Bono fielded questions from students and discussed a possible future collaboration with Harvard at an event held at the John F. Kennedy School of Government with University President Lawrence H. Summers yesterday.

With his charisma and Irish humor, Bono urged students to become involved in global development and in the fight against AIDS. Bono founded an organization Debt, Aids, Trade in Africa in 2002 to raise awareness and instigate change in these particular areas.

Summers kicked off the question and answer session asking Bono what the singer thought the key message “for the world’s political leaders” should be.

“The war on terror cannot be won without the war against poverty,” Bono answered.

Bono then addressed his interactions with politicians and the problems he has had reaching some people.

“I had some difficulty meeting with Berlusconi,” Bono said. “They don’t like me,” he added in an Italian accent.

Bono also emphasized the importance of the G8 summit, applauding the progress and the $50 billion increase of development.

Talking about the percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) given to aid, Bono said that the United States only gives around .17 percent, falling far short of his aim of .7 percent from all developed countries.

“No Americans know this,” Bono said. “In a recent poll, Americans said between 10 and 20 percent of the GDP has been spent.”

To fight AIDS and poverty, Harvard should play a key role in helping the grassroots efforts, Bono said.

“What Harvard and campuses can do is ferment the movement,” Bono said. “And that’s what’s going to change the game.”

In addition to student involvement, Bono said he and Summers had discussed the possibility of a future collaboration with Harvard. Bono said he could not specify the details of such a collaboration.

“I would love to work with Harvard,” Bono said. “There may be a way of doing something together which would be a plumb line of success in these areas both on the ground and on the donor side.”

Bono first came into contact with Summers during his time as Secretary of the Department of Treasury.

“Who is Bono?” Summers said of his initial reaction to meeting the singer. “Is that his first name or his last name?”

“He also thought the band’s name, U2, was a reference to the Cuban missile crisis,” Bono quipped. Since then, the two have cooperated closely. Bono gave Summers a shout out during U2’s concert Monday night and accepted Summers’ personal invitation last June to come to Harvard this fall.

Originally, Bono’s visit yesterday was supposed to include a meeting with faculty members specializing in the issues of AIDS in Africa and an address to students at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center. Unfortunately, Bono doesn’t make big speeches while his band is on tour, according to IOP Executive Director Catherine McLaughlin.

As a result, around 80 students representing various student organizations, including the IOP, the Harvard African Student Association and the Aids Coalition, were allowed to attend the closed event.

“The way we identified the student groups was based on their involvement in international development and global health issues,” McLaughlin said.

The students selected to attend were not disappointed.

“I thought it was absolutely fantastic for someone to be in his position and still care so much about the people and poverty in Africa,” said Jennifer Y. Lan ’07, a member of the IOP. “ I definitely wish he had more time but he’s Bono. He’s probably off to meet the pope right now or something.”

The event, which lasted just under forty minutes, was hosted by the Office of the President, the Institute of Politics (IOP) and the Harvard Institute of Global Health.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And feel too bad that you didn't know about this in advance because it seems that everyone involved had wanted to keep this visit to Harvard targeted to a select group of campus people.

Thanks for all the positive comments in this thread. :up:

Thanks, Jamila. I don't know where Bono gets the added stamina and energy to make these appearances in addition to the travel, performing, and family activities! He is absolutely AMAZING! :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

should've gone to Harvard :banghead:

me too :banghead: i wanted to see Harvard aswell among other things but chose to wait at the hotel instead :sad: :scream: (didnt see any of them in the end :grumpy::lmao: ) am never gonna meet him :sigh:

well done on him going to talk to staff and students though :up: i dont know where he gets the energy :wink:

hes amazing :heart:

bonoishot said:

me too :banghead: i wanted to see Harvard aswell among other things but chose to wait at the hotel instead :sad: :scream: (didnt see any of them in the end :grumpy::lmao: ) am never gonna meet him :sigh:

Haha, I meant for school, not Bono stalking, lol.

Back
Top Bottom