Group Hugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edgespet said:
I just thinks this is the cutest picture! :cute:

:yes:.

Adding to your thoughts on their friendship earlier in this thread, by the way-you know, earlier this evening I noticed this story on VH1.com about Creed breaking up, and then on this last page there's a picture from olive of U2 during their ZooTV days, and those two things just suddenly made me think about the fighting that went on between U2 when they were trying to make the Achtung Baby album, or the disagreements in the early 80s with that religious group that three of the guys had joined and everything.

But instead of going the route other bands have gone and breaking up and possibly never speaking to each other again, these guys are such close friends that they're actually willing to sit down and talk everything out, get out all the stuff that may be bugging them at that time-they compromise, they apologize for anything they may have said or did that upset the others, and stuff like that. Seriously, I don't think I've heard of many bands out there who are willing to try and do that. And I just think that's really cool that these guys are willing to talk things out with each other before doing something drastic, that they're willing to do everything they can to keep their friendships intact. It's just more proof of how unique this band is, too.

So yeah, that was just something that I'd been mulling over this evening.

Also, those pictures of the band celebrating Edge's birthday and the story with it are adorable. :cute:.

Angela

But instead of going the route other bands have gone and breaking up and possibly never speaking to each other again, these guys are such close friends that they're actually willing to sit down and talk everything out, get out all the stuff that may be bugging them at that time-they compromise, they apologize for anything they may have said or did that upset the others, and stuff like that. Seriously, I don't think I've heard of many bands out there who are willing to try and do that. And I just think that's really cool that these guys are willing to talk things out with each other before doing something drastic, that they're willing to do everything they can to keep their friendships intact.

Thinking about the Hansa recording sessions...I know people talk about what a wonderful song One is and how well it relates to their lives, etc. but what you mentioned is the main reason that One is one of my favorite songs. It has nothing to do with how it relates to my life, but rather how it relates to U2 at this time in their lives. This song means more to me that any song they've ever written because this was the one that brought them back from the brink-together. In the Orange Bible, Flanagan describes the origin of One:
It came to them all together and it came easily, as a gift.
I believe whole-heartedly that this song was written as much FOR U2 as it was BY U2...we're one but we're not the same...we get to carry each other
Even during the worst times, these men refused to give up life-long friendships & held on until they could break through together.

Oh hell, now I'm crying! Time for bed! :huh:

I was thinking the same. I'm not into Creed at all, but still, I know a lot of people are. And most people seem to be into a singer or group because of what they take away from the music. I'm so thankful U2 have stuck it out and stayed together. It is so amazing how they have stuck together. Just think about how much stuff we don't know about. And I know what you mean about "One", Edgespet. I think I would actually get tired of hearing that song if it didn't serve as a reminder of how strong the bonds between U2 are.

Edgespet said:
Thinking about the Hansa recording sessions...I know people talk about what a wonderful song One is and how well it relates to their lives, etc. but what you mentioned is the main reason that One is one of my favorite songs. It has nothing to do with how it relates to my life, but rather how it relates to U2 at this time in their lives. This song means more to me that any song they've ever written because this was the one that brought them back from the brink-together. In the Orange Bible, Flanagan describes the origin of One:
It came to them all together and it came easily, as a gift.
I believe whole-heartedly that this song was written as much FOR U2 as it was BY U2...we're one but we're not the same...we get to carry each other
Even during the worst times, these men refused to give up life-long friendships & held on until they could break through together.

Oh hell, now I'm crying! Time for bed! :huh:

Aw. :hug:.

Anywho, yeah, great point about "One". It's amazing how a simple song can affect people so strongly. And the great thing is that that song has so many meanings to it-it can relate to the band, it can relate to the world in general, it can relate to relationships, friendships, families...whatever. Anyone can associate with its meaning. U2's always been going at creating songs like that.

Originally posted by ylimeU2
It is so amazing how they have stuck together. Just think about how much stuff we don't know about.

:yes:. One thing I always think about is how many inside jokes that the band must have from all these years. I can just see them somewhere, being like, "Hey, remember when..." and then they all start laughing over some funny incident from way back when or something. :).

Angela

Edgespet said:
The thing that has kept me a rabid U2 fan, even more than their amazing music, is their incredible friendship. These four men obviously share a very deep, profound love for each other & they aren't ashamed to admit &/or demonstrate it. Unlike most men, who try to hide any form of affection they have for a member of the same sex. (apologies to the PLEBA guys for the generalization, but you know what I mean. And I did say "most" , not all :) ) I also think it speaks volumes about their integrity, both as performers & regular people, that in a world where things can so easily be misconstrued-sometimes intentionally-by the press, there has never been even a whiff of rumor in the tabloids concerning them. As a naturally reticent person, U2 has inspired me to try to be more loving & demonstative towards the people I care about. They're all amazing men & I admire them more than I can say! :heart:

What a beautiful post. Sums it all up very well. And it is nice to see men who aren't afraid of showing brotherly affection towards each other. :yes: :up:

larbonovmi.bmp

You've all summed it up nicely.

I always found it hartwarming when they (i think it was Larry) said that if anything had to go, it would have to be the band (as a job) before their friendship. They would sacrifice U2 for their friendship.:cute: Very touching!

oliveu2cm said:
some sort of hug?? ;)

ohmygod.jpg

LOL @ Larry's expression ;)

I hate to degenerate into raunchiness after so many sweet, thoughtful, insightful posts, but...looking at this picture again....*massive whimpers & licking of the screen!!*

BabyLarry can send me into a frenzy of lust in a way that grown-up Larry has never been able to & that look on his face...his mouth...:drool: :drool: :combust: :faint:

(yes, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sick woman! :reject: Please don't turn me in to the authorities! :yikes: :lol: )

Edgespet said:
The thing that has kept me a rabid U2 fan, even more than their amazing music, is their incredible friendship. These four men obviously share a very deep, profound love for each other & they aren't ashamed to admit &/or demonstrate it.

Me too me too, it's so great to see this. Argh I have pics to post but I have to go out, will do it later. :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom