Great Article about Ali's EDUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi PLEBA!

I just found this wonderful little article which gives some more details about the launch of EDUN in the U.S:

Sunday Independent
13th February 2005

BONO'S BRILLIANT BIRD LAUNCHES HER FAIR TRADE FASHION LABEL

BEHIND every great woman, I always say, there's a great man. Bono flew
over to New York to support his wife Ali for the launch of her new
label Edun on Friday. Ali is the brains behind the fair trade fashion
label designed by New York designer Rogan Gregory (lest we forget: Ali
is a seasoned campaigner on behalf of the victims of the Chernobyl
disaster too.).

Bono's brilliant bird had obviously been reading Constance Harris's
piece on eco-friendly fashion recently in the Sindo. A handful of
invited guests and a few local celebrities assembled in the intimate
setting of Library in downtown Manhattan for this prestigious unveiling
of Ali's new project.

The clothes, which are on sale in Saks Fifth Avenue in New York, will
arrive in mid-March in Brown Thomas.

"It is too early to discuss a fashion show to launch the clothes range
in Ireland," said a source close to Ali.

(c) Sunday Independent 2005

----------------------------------------------------

Much continued success for Ali and for EDUN. :wink:

I only hope that there will be MORE outlets for her clothing line and at moderately affordable prices.

For now, if you can shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can wear EDUN. :up:

I'm also waiting on a website for Ali's clothing line - I think that would be a real plus for her ability to reach MORE people about EDUN.

THE SWEETEST THING....:hug:

I'm undecided as to whether i'm amused or annoyed about the use of 'Bono's Bird'

I can't wait to see her designs - I hope they stock them over here too, and not just in the US
:hyper:

I've never even been in a Saks, too intimidating :uhoh:

I think there's one around me somewhere..I'd just run in and look at the Ali clothes and leave, probably empty handed :(

I'll stop by Brown Thomas and see what the clothes are like. I have a feeling I'm going to like them if they are anything like the clothes Ali wears. :yes:

I hope they are not too expensive tho. :huh:

Just found this . . .

TIME Global Adviser
Style Watch

Even Better than the Real Bling :giggle:

Ali Hewson's motive was simple: "I would prefer to know that the clothes I buy for my children weren't made by someone else's children." Like her rock-star husband, Bono, Hewson is a doer, so she set up Edun, a clothing line manufactured with ethical production methods and meant to create sustainable employment in developing countries. "We wanted to show that you can make a for-profit business where everybody in the chain is treated well," she says. With factories set to roll in Peru and Tunisia, and a third planned for Lesotho, the Edun range, a partnership with U.S. label Rogan, will include everything from jeans to chiffon dresses. But Hewson isn't relying on altruism to sell clothes she describes as "more sensual than bling." "We want these clothes to sell on their own merit, because they are beautiful and well made." Edun's pieces ($65-$375) will appear in March at Selfridges in Britain, El Corte Inglés in Spain and Saks in New York City, among other stores.

RedLiteGreyMorn said:
Just found this . . .

TIME Global Adviser
Style Watch

Even Better than the Real Bling :giggle:

Ali Hewson's motive was simple: "I would prefer to know that the clothes I buy for my children weren't made by someone else's children." Like her rock-star husband, Bono, Hewson is a doer, so she set up Edun, a clothing line manufactured with ethical production methods and meant to create sustainable employment in developing countries. "We wanted to show that you can make a for-profit business where everybody in the chain is treated well," she says. With factories set to roll in Peru and Tunisia, and a third planned for Lesotho, the Edun range, a partnership with U.S. label Rogan, will include everything from jeans to chiffon dresses. But Hewson isn't relying on altruism to sell clothes she describes as "more sensual than bling." "We want these clothes to sell on their own merit, because they are beautiful and well made." Edun's pieces ($65-$375) will appear in March at Selfridges in Britain, El Corte Inglés in Spain and Saks in New York City, among other stores.

I don't think the prices are that bad, it depends what they're for :shrug: Not for everday clothes of course :lol: , but maybe for a special occasion outfit.

I paid $40 last weekend for a pair of slacks I didn't even like that much :reject:

Last edited:
Thanks for that article, RedLiteGreyMorn.

I'm personally involved now because I do volunteer work with an NGO that does humanitarian "work" in Lesotho, so I am VERY familiar with that small African country and its various challenges!

Glad to know that Ali is planning to take her good works there.:wink:

What a nice thread this is turning out to be - thanks everyone!

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:up:

:reject: Ummmmmm. Oh heck.
I did a Google search on Edun to see if it had a website. I was so happy reading the wonderful posts and reports in this thread and I really do want to learn more about the clothing line, which I would buy assuming it came in big sizes.

I shouldn't have done a Google search on the word edun.
:reject:

Lemon Grrrrrl said:
:reject: Ummmmmm. Oh heck.
I did a Google search on Edun to see if it had a website. I was so happy reading the wonderful posts and reports in this thread and I really do want to learn more about the clothing line, which I would buy assuming it came in big sizes.

Never google "peeps". I did that at Easter on my school computer and had to have someone from district come and clear the cookies from the computer.:reject:

Lemon Grrrrrl said:

spit.gif

Oh my!!!

u2granny said:

Never google "peeps". I did that at Easter on my school computer and had to have someone from district come and clear the cookies from the computer.:reject:

The afterschool program was trying to organize a field trip to The Wet N' Wild water park in Orlando. Needless to say they got an interesting site when they searched for the .com:giggle:

Back
Top Bottom