Grammys - Where was Ali?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it was odd. She's been to every Grammy night so far when U2 was nominated/performed. It's only one night!

Kinda makes me feel bad. I mean if I had a choice between fashion week (or working) and being there to cheer on my husband, I'd be with my husband.

Fly five hours west from New York, just to fly five hours east, and then another five hours further east to get home to Ireland, and not even with your husband, he's flying south to Mexico to work...she has four children and a home, etc., -- what do you think the woman is, a thousand legger? Go through all that just to attend another awards show? I would have been surprised if she had been there.

Yeah, I guess I'm just old fashioned :wink:

It's probably old news to her by now anyway. 'Just another awards show where my husband is being honored...'

AtomicLemon said:
Yeah, it was odd. She's been to every Grammy night so far when U2 was nominated/performed. It's only one night!

Kinda makes me feel bad. I mean if I had a choice between fashion week (or working) and being there to cheer on my husband, I'd be with my husband.

Odd? She's received many awards where I haven't found photographic proof of Bono's attendance.

When you start a high-end fashion line and it's fashion week, I doubt there's much of a choice! And I'm betting she'd rather be in NYC promoting her business than dealing w/ a bunch of pompous celebs running around the red carpet like 12 year old girls at the mall.

One of the things I like best about Ali is that she doesn't hang onto Bono at all of the award shows/honors/keys to the city/bronzed statues constructed to worship his likeness honors that are heaped upon him:wink:
She has her own life as a Mother, designer, activist, etc. who happens to be married to a rock star - I don't think that the latter defines her. This approach to their marriage seems to be working thus far

sure it would have been cool to see her there but like Liv said she probably has her hands full with fashion week

kellyahern said:
Ann wasn't there either, didn't see Paul McG anywhere, Sting's wife was AWOL as well - :hmm: , we should take up a collection to look for them, pictures on milk cartons, things like that . I'll start, I have a penny :| .

From what I heard, Paul McG was definately in LA. Can't say he went to the grammies, but he was close by.

AtomicLemon said:

:|
well one of the things i love Ali for is that she is in fact NOT Nono's accessoire who happens to to raise his kids, perform as his armcandy and when he has no need for her she is even allowed to have some sort of own life.
Bono's job is in U2 (and all that charity jazz), Ali's job is Edun and both partners need to be where they have to work.

end of story

It is not always about Bono and i do not think he needs cheering up when he gets awards and is with his mates. I do not think it would be very smart to drop everything in an instant for a simple award show my husband is in and abondan one of THE most important events where my company/ work can earn recognition, publicity and credits.

Last edited:
Your point is absolutely on the mark, but I couldn't resist pointing out:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

And I'm betting she'd rather be in NYC promoting her business than dealing w/ a bunch of pompous celebs running around the red carpet like 12 year old girls at the mall.

THAT'S WHAT FASHION WEEK IS!!!:lol:

kellyahern said:

Yeah, that wasn't really my point though :lol:.

I shouldn't try to be sarcastic before 9 a.m. in the morning. I'm not awake yet :reject:.

Gotcha. It was probably too early for me too.

I didn't get to see much of the show, and have been too busy to look through all of the picture threads. Was Morliegh there?

Also, for Larryslass: The "blonde lady" is Lian Lunson, a film director. She just directed "I'm Your Man", about Leonard Cohen. U2 appear in that film.

Morleigh was there with Edge. They were sitting in the row ahead of Bono, Lian, Larry, Adam and Susie. I also thought that I caught Paul McGuinness and Morleigh kissing each other on the cheek as U2 were walking up to win the last award. It was a big man with a bald head anyway. :wink:

Great points about Ali having her own life and all.

Guess she wouldn't have a life at all if all she did was trail after Bono!

grammy1.jpg

Morleigh, Susie, Paul & his wife were all there, sitting behind Nicole Kidman & Keith Urban (and I must say that while I loathe country music, Keith is pretty darn hot and I loved his performance)

Lian whatever her name is was only there to get the publicity for her new film, which is cool... good press for her/exposure etc.

apparently Ali was supposed to be at the awards with Bono but a friend of theirs (the managing editor of the Irish Times) passed away and Ali (with the children) went back to Ireland to attend the funeral which will be today

found this information on @u2's main page - there is an interview with 2FM's Gerry Ryan that you can download that has at least the P the E and the B of PLEBA taking about the Grammy wins :wink:

Last edited:
Hello :)
If anyones interested, i found some more pics where you can see Morleigh and Paul McG in the background :)

Back
Top Bottom