Grammys - Where was Ali?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nurse chrissi said:
apparently Ali was supposed to be at the awards with Bono but a friend of theirs (the managing editor of the Irish Times) passed away and Ali (with the children) went back to Ireland to attend the funeral which will be today

found this information on @u2's main page - there is an interview with 2FM's Gerry Ryan that you can download that has at least the P the E and the B of PLEBA taking about the Grammy wins :wink:

Maybe that's why Bono seemed so tense. He must have had a lot of conflicting emotions that night if it was one of his and Ali's friends that died. :(

I can't get to that interview from @U2's page. Does anyone have another link? I would really like to listen to it. Thanks!

Feh. Even if she didn't have fashion week, does she have to be where Bono is, like some overprotective mother watching her two year old? Heh. Bono's a big boy, perfectly capable of funtioning sans Ali.

:grin:

Rachel D. said:

I can't get to that interview from @U2's page. Does anyone have another link? I would really like to listen to it. Thanks!

Ditto. That link won't work for me. I'd love to hear the interview!
:D

tootty86 said:
Hello :)
If anyones interested, i found some more pics where you can see Morleigh and Paul McG in the background :)

Thanks for all the pics tootty, and Kelly for the interview :bow:

Morleigh, looks fabulous but I have to say, :ohmy: Nicole, is she like wearing NOTHING at all underneath that dress?? :eek:

Hah, hah. Probably not. I know the feeling...you try to do it and think you won't be shy, BUT.....you get so..um..self-conscious....:evil:

Morleigh looks fabulous. Remembering her being right next to the person in back of me at the tip of the ellipse at MSG on Oct 7, how Edge smiled down at her (NOT ME??) during "Fast Cars." I can't get over what a temptress she looks like, cleavage etc, and Edge is the polar opposite.....so low key and gentlemanly and quiet and everything. Real endearing opposites in public. How she's got this mane of hair I'd DIE for and he is practically bald. And..oh BOY...my mind is starting to go in sinful directions....thinking "you know what they say about quiet people."

:drool: Oh no.....Must..get mind...off.....Edge....and imagining their, uh, private celebration-- say, about 24 hrs from now, tomorrow night, LA time.....:censored:

Um....what was I posting for? Oh yeah....which one is Susie? One of life's great mysteries for me right now is knowing what Adam's sig other looks like....I'm thinking they really are married, the way he was practically screaming it from the stage, twisting his ring all through his Album of the Yr Speech....This may sound really stupid for you gals who can identify her on sight :huh: but if we can't see her here, anybody dig up a pic of her? As recent as possible, and no, you don't have to blow it up to huge size..thanks!

Last edited:
I think this information about where Ali really was should be a good example to people not to wander too far into conjecture about personal aspects of U2's personal lives.

Normally there's a perfectly good explanation for what they do or don't do and it's normally not anything like people imagine!

I think this should show us that it's not our place to conjecture about other people's lives but concentrate on living our own lives better. :wink:

kellyahern said:
Ann wasn't there either, didn't see Paul McG anywhere, Sting's wife was AWOL as well - :hmm: , we should take up a collection to look for them, pictures on milk cartons, things like that . I'll start, I have a penny :| .

who was the blonde in that black strapless dress and wrap sitting with them? I saw when they went up onstage for I think Album of the Year, Larry gave her a peck and thought it was Ann...
loved that gown though :)

u2_girlie_2002 said:

who was the blonde in that black strapless dress and wrap sitting with them? I saw when they went up onstage for I think Album of the Year, Larry gave her a peck and thought it was Ann...
loved that gown though :)

It's not your fault, but for the three billionth time, she is Lian Lunson, who has known the band for almost twenty years. She is a film director who most recently directed the film about Leonard Cohen, "I'm Your Man", in which U2 appear. As well, when I was at one of the Toronto shows, she was on stage (and majorly blocking my view!) filming the band, but mostly Bono, during Fast Cars.

Jamila said:
I think this information about where Ali really was should be a good example to people not to wander too far into conjecture about personal aspects of U2's personal lives.

Normally there's a perfectly good explanation for what they do or don't do and it's normally not anything like people imagine!

I think this should show us that it's not our place to conjecture about other people's lives but concentrate on living our own lives better. :wink:

There was no "conjecture" in this thread, and there was absolutely no need for a sanctimonious lecture from you.

Jamila said:

good way of saying: keep your nose out of the boy's private business for you have a won one to care about

I fully agree, sometimes (this thread for example) it is really just ridiculous. We are not the yellow press.. or are we? :wink:
:dance: :applaud: well said

Ali is a very independent woman and we can't always expect her to be everywhere Bono is. She was probaly doing her own thing with Edun or a friend that has passed away or whatever. Bono most likely called her right after they won and she was happy for him/them. She has always said that she wants to be kept out of the public eye. I admire her so much and I love how she like Bono wants to help the world:wink: :)

greety said:

Nicole, is she like wearing NOTHING at all underneath that dress?? :eek:

It's probably the flash. Many high end fashions look opaque to the eye under either natural or tungsten light, but when those darn flashes go off they reveal ALL. Happens all the time... Aside from that, I thought Nicole looked as fabulous as she always does. :)

And to get back on track, while, to some degree, I agree that it is, more or less, none of our business where Ali was, I must admit that I, too, was curious - as is perfectly natural. We're U2 fans. We love Bono and we love Ali and it's cool to see them all dressed up at a function honoring the music, so when she's not there, one can't help but wonder why and because she is not a "public persona" we don't often get the 'why's,' thus conjecture is all we have. Moreover, this is a message board for fans to come and chat about this or that. No one said anything negative about Ali, they were just wondering. I think it's perfectly fine. Well, anyway, that's just mho... *back to lurking*

actually Ali's whereabouts were made public by Bono in his interview with Gerry Ryan... here's the link: http://u2log.com/archive/2006/02/u2s_post-grammy_talk_with_gerry_ryan.php

So, since this was made public I would say we aren't 'peering' into their private lives in this situation. Of course we all are curious and concerned as well. Nothing at all wrong with that! And this is certainly the forum where we can discuss it.

So, any doubters should download the mp3 and take a listen..

Teta040 said:

Um....what was I posting for? Oh yeah....which one is Susie? One of life's great mysteries for me right now is knowing what Adam's sig other looks like....I'm thinking they really are married, the way he was practically screaming it from the stage, twisting his ring all through his Album of the Yr Speech....This may sound really stupid for you gals who can identify her on sight :huh: but if we can't see her here, anybody dig up a pic of her? As recent as possible, and no, you don't have to blow it up to huge size..thanks!

There have been quite some pics of Suzie around lately although I've tried tosearch and I could only come up with this one

adamsuzie4hy.jpg

I think this one is from Edge's wedding (june 2002)

I've never seen that pic before, IS THAT THE WAY ADAM WENT DRESSED TO EDGE'S WEDDING?? Geez, where I come from, doing that can only mean your mother forced you to go, and/or you don't like the bride and/or groom and THAT can't be it in this case! What the hell was he thinking?

That's the "fairy dress" you guys are always referring to, correct? I can't imagine anyplace the two of them would go that would justify her being dressed like that (I know...) and his being dressed like that. But this is a good shot of pre-makeover Susie.

Am I being dense (stop that!) or are there photos of her from the Grammys that have been posted that I missed???

And why aren't we speculating ad nauseum over Ann's whereabouts on Grammy night? EQUAL TIME, PEOPLE, EQUAL TIME!:wink:

yeah that first thing caught me too!!! Cmon adam, even BONO was in a SUIT! Bono... suit... those two words are hardly IMPOSSIBLE! (well he tries sometimes, but fails each time... not that I mind that... but still :rolleyes: )

biff said:

It's not your fault, but for the three billionth time, she is Lian Lunson, who has known the band for almost twenty years. She is a film director who most recently directed the film about Leonard Cohen, "I'm Your Man", in which U2 appear. As well, when I was at one of the Toronto shows, she was on stage (and majorly blocking my view!) filming the band, but mostly Bono, during Fast Cars.

oh thanks :)
I never heard of her until now. :)

kellyahern said:
http://s52.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=38JYQJDPP86DU0E6O58RIOONMO

download of the interview

thanks for the info nurse chrissi :bow:

Thanks! :)

I have dial-up, unfortunately, so I'm gonna go help make supper and hopefully it will be done downloading once supper is over. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info!

Anyway, I didn't mean to stir anything up by starting this thread - just curious!

I'm a fan, but not obsessed with them and know where they are at any given moment. I was actually there at the awards, and was looking forward to seeing her, that's all!

I'm sorry to hear about their friend, but glad Ali was able to fly back and be with their family, etc. And again, true enough it's great that she has her own life and doesn't live in the shadow of her husband.

AtomicLemon said:
Thanks for all the info!

Anyway, I didn't mean to stir anything up by starting this thread - just curious!

I'm a fan, but not obsessed with them and know where they are at any given moment. I was actually there at the awards, and was looking forward to seeing her, that's all!

I'm sorry to hear about their friend, but glad Ali was able to fly back and be with their family, etc. And again, true enough it's great that she has her own life and doesn't live in the shadow of her husband.

hey dont worry about it! :hug: ...IT IS NOT U WHO IS STIRRING THINGS UP! :wink: It's someone else who posted in this thread and this said person is notorious for doing just that.

So, rock on! I like this thread! :up:

Don't worry about. I think that I may have come off the wrong way. I wasn't being a b***h. I was just saying my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom