Grammy pics thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 Sings Tribute to Bono's Dad

12 minutes ago Entertainment - AP Music

By DAVID BAUDER, Associated Press Writer

U2 may have captured the most attention — and a Grammy Award — for the song "Vertigo," but the band chose to make a very personal statement with its performance on the show Sunday.

They performed "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," dedicating it to lead singer Bono's father, who died in 2001.

Bono described him as a postal clerk who sang opera into the night in a beautiful tenor voice.

"I'd like to think when he passed away he gave that to me," he said. "I wish I got to know him better."

The stately song forced Bono and the Edge to match falsettos in the chorus. It was a rare moment of tenderness and vulnerability in rock 'n' roll, and when Bono sang a lyric about two men who would have liked each other more if they hadn't been so much alike, he spoke for generations of warring fathers and sons.

The easy choice would have been to sing "Vertigo," which won the Grammy for best rock song, just to show people they still stand on top of the rock pack. Instead, they chose a better song, and made a stronger connection with millions of people watching at home.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank God Almighty!

A reporter who finally understands U2. :bow:

sorry, kelly, for the double posting - we must have thinking the same thoughts!

keep posting those BEAUTIFUL pics! :wink:

Their watermarks just got bigger. :|

52192844.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has posted stills and pictures so far! :bow:

I thought Sometimes sounded amazing. Bono's voice was spot-on, and the "no regrets" ending made me cry -- just when I thought I was through with this song bringing me to tears.

First winning the awards, then this performance. Am so happy for the boys! :hyper: :hyper:

Jamila said:
I'll simply say that I hope all is well with U2.:wink:

The audience reaction was too dull - not the response I was hoping for.

I just hope that all the bad press from the media (check out that horrendous article in the Chicago Tribune today on the homepage of Inteference), the U2 "fans" who don't have anything good to
say about the band and all the negative fallout from the presales fiasco hasn't adversely affected the band.

I'm beginning to wonder if it already has. :sad:

I thought that they were BEAUTIFUL and that BONO'S DELIVERY WAS VERY TOUCHING.

I hope that U2 has a WONDERFUL VALENTINE'S DAY! THEY DESERVE IT! :adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:
U2 has had bad press before and they will again. The audience was probably expecting to rock out to Vertigo and U2 played something completely different. They played Sometimes because it will be their next single and they wanted it to be heard. I agree with this thinking but I'm also not surprised that the audience reaction was so subdued.

Despite what some of the haters around here would like to think there really hasn't been that much publicity about the pre-sale problems. A few anti-U2 writers were only too happy to play it up but they were few and far between. And what publicity there was largely placed the blame on Ticketmaster and the ticket brokers, not on U2 themselves. It was only the extreme haters who are idiotic enough to blame the guys who make the music for a ticket sale problem.

Don't worry about U2. The CD sold well, the singles are selling well and the tour will be a huge success.

Jamila said:
I'll simply say that I hope all is well with U2.:wink:

The audience reaction was too dull - not the response I was hoping for.

I just hope that all the bad press from the media (check out that horrendous article in the Chicago Tribune today on the homepage of Inteference), the U2 "fans" who don't have anything good to
say about the band and all the negative fallout from the presales fiasco hasn't adversely affected the band.

I'm beginning to wonder if it already has. :sad:

:huh:

I think you're reading too much into it.

Afterall, it's not a song where you go :rockon: after it's finished. It's a more quiet and reflective song.

The important thing is that we're all united in our support for U2. :yes:

I need some larry pics...sigh. my friend is going to kill me if i don't get her some lol. I'm happy. Edge.

I loved the performence. The song is great. :D They really don't deserve bad critics.

Oh. add me to the list of people that loves the black hat... :wink:

Also, I do love the shades :shifty:

I of course love those blue eyes and pictures of him without them... but the shades are just part of him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom