Grace - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serena Vox

ONE love, blood, life
Big thanks to dianepm for being my lovely beta as usual.

Disclaimer: Don't own them, don't make money off this, never happened.

Bit of language.

---

“So...did you see her?”

Bono glanced at Larry, as Edge narrowed his accusing gaze at the singer. He read his eyes perfectly. Don’t tell me you went looking for her. He sank back into the chair, puffing the cigarette leisurely to the butt, stubbing it out into the ashtray. All fell silent at Larry’s question, save for the occasional smacking of lips coming from Adam’s direction. With a sigh, he turned his attention back to Larry.

“I think so.”

“I thought that you were over this,” The guitarist said dryly.

“And I thought we dropped this,” Adam offered, thumping his foot against the floor.

“Hold the fuck up, Ad’,” Larry said, straightening up from the wall and turning to face him. “Why does he have to drop it?”

“Because it’s not good to brood like that?” Adam answered his question with one of his own.

“Bono and brooding go hand in hand...” Edge sighed.

“Hold the hell up!” Bono stood up quickly, waving his hands at everyone.

His band mates all stopped talking and turned their attention to the lead man carefully, each of them wanting to make some kind of snide remark to him for even starting it in the first place. They each waited for some kind of word, gesture or a sign of anything to continue rather than have it all out in Bono's living room.

“Just drop it, okay? All I did was talk to her anyway,” He finally added.

“Don’t go falling in love with her, Bono,” Edge said, shooting a look at the singer.

“Drop it,” Adam cut in, waving his hand at the guitarist and added, “what he does is his business.”

Edge shook his head, sinking back into the couch, defeated. He sighed, looking at each of his band mates one by one. First Adam, sitting calmly on the other end of the couch, steadily chewing away at what is probably a stale piece of gum by now. Larry, who had leaned back into the wall and thumped his boot on the floor rhythmically, as though he were a bit agitated. Then Bono, lounging in the chair with an aimless, thoughtful look on his face.

“Are we gonna shuffle and pass, or what?” Larry finally broke the silence.

The next morning, Grace pulled herself out of bed, looking over at the chair by her dresser. The leather jacket still dangled there, moving ever so slightly from the warm air coming out of the vent on the wall. She rubbed her eyes, taking a second glance. And still there it was. She slid out of the bed, adjusting the thin nightgown as she stepped over to the chair, sliding her hand down the jacket briefly. She looked at her own reflection for a moment and then back down to the coat. Her mind wanders back to that same smell. She tried to decipher it without the cigarettes and coffee, knowing it had some sort of familiar scent to it. I’ve smelled that before, I know I have...

She shook her head and began to dig for today’s clothes. A simple, black tee shirt and another pair of nicely fitting jeans. She went ahead and changed her clothing, stepping back in front of the mirror and slipping her feet into the sandals resting between the two sets of drawers. She then knelt down by her bag and pulled out the cell phone, checking the display upon realizing she had forgotten to do so when she came in. Two new texts and one new voice mail. The texts were first. One was from John; “Yo, Grace. Didn’t answer. Hope you’re ok.” and the other was from Frank; “Sorry about yesterday.”. She then opened her voice mail, waiting on it to play.

Hey Grace, it’s John. I was just checking on you and wondering if you wanted to see a movie tonight, but I guess you’re busy. Frank told me to tell you that you can take off tomorrow, I clued him in that you needed a break. I’ll see ya later.” His voice said and the message ended.

“Boy does not get it,” She sighed, shoving the phone into her pocket. “I guess I should thank him later. I do need this day off.”

Guess I should go out and do something.

She glanced over at the clock, it was already after nine in the morning. Nearly startled, she sighed in relief, thankful that she didn’t have to work since she’d forgotten all about her alarm. She stood back up, grabbing for the jacket on the chair and pulling it over her shoulders. Reaching into the pocket, she pulled out the blue sunglasses that were sure enough, still there and held them in the palm of her head as though it were as fragile as a piece of expensive china. She admired them for a moment and set them down onto the dresser long enough to brush out her hair and tie back for the day. She glanced into the mirror, a little frustrated at the strands that won't stay. Then she took the sunglasses, placing them on top of her head, beret style.

The young woman exited her room hastily, striding down the stairs, through the living room. Her father was reading the newspaper and heard her shuffle by. “Ya off today?” He asked, glancing over the top of the paper.

“Yeah, going out for the day. I’ll be back later.”

“Ya got some things to do 'round here tonight. Bye.”

She shuffled out the door, stepping down the porch and onto the sidewalk, noticing that the morning commute was in full swing. Hmm, coffee. Maybe this time I won’t end up wearing it. She mused to herself, making her way over to the caf?. A few random pedestrians greeted her along the way. A great many of them recognize her by picture, as a matter of fact. She had appeared on a billboard in her town at one time, something she still regretted doing from time to time.

The old man working the counter at the shop looked up, seeing his usual customer coming in and smiled. Grace had always visited and chatted him up on a regular basis. He’d been good friends with her father back in the day, so he was quite fond of the young woman’s company whenever she would come into the shop. He watched as she took a seat at one of the stools in front of the counter and wiped down the table a bit.

“Mornin’ Grace! How are things?” He asked, tossing the towel onto the table.

“They’re alright. I’ve been pretty tired lately.”

“Sorry to hear that. The usual?”

“Mhm. Thank you.”

He shuffles over to the coffee pots, pouring her a cup and putting the necessary creams and sugars into it before setting it down with a stir stick and napkin in front of her. “So who was that guy yesterday?”

“What guy?” She asked, a tad confused.

“One you bumped into.”

“Oh, him. A friend of mine.”

“Always good to see your friends, even if it is a bit accidental!” He replied with a laugh.

“Yeah, sure is,” She said, turning her attention back to see people gathering around something at the door. She sipped her coffee carefully, shifting about a little to get a better view of the ruckus outside. One would typically assume it was a fight, but usually only if it was outside of a bar. This was a coffee shop. Curiosity finally got the better of her and she stood up, seeing a black flash of hair through the mess and realized exactly what was going on. “Hey, I’m gonna take this with me. See ya later!”

With that, she got up and went out the door, the mob still gathered ‘round. People asking for autographs, handshakes and even kisses from the man. She ducked out of the way and reached through the tangle of people, praying she wasn’t going to grab someone’s arse and found a hand. Unsure of who’s it was, she decided to pull in the hopes of pulling Bono out of the crowd, or making at least a break in it for him to step out of. People scattered and the young woman jerked back, the singer stumbling into her, almost spilling her coffee all over her. Again.

Some of the crowd were protesting but she stuck her tongue out at them and led him down the street by his hand. He looked her over, seeing her still sporting the jacket and his sunglasses, with a different change of plain, comfortable looking clothing. “Thanks. That doesn’t usually happen quite like that...”

“It’s no problem. Fancy meeting you at the same spot again!”

“Same spot, different day,” Bono replied with a chuckle. “I was actually hoping I’d find you here.”

“You were?”

“Mhm. I never did get your name, love.”

She beamed a big grin at him, her face flushing a little. “It’s Grace.”

“That’s such a beautiful name, pleasure meeting you proper,” He said, stopping for a moment to bow, lifting her hand up to his lips and pressing a small kiss to it. Her face glowed a bright crimson now as she tried to contain her giggle. “You already know who I am, I trust. But just in case, I’m Bono.”

She let out a laugh, putting her hand over her mouth, “Yes, I knew.”

The lead man mused a little to himself, he looked very thoughtful, as though he were off in his own little world in which no one else could see him. He reached into his jacket pocket for a note pad and pen, scribbling something down onto it. He was mumbling a little as he read it over, her name unmistakably coming from his lips. She stepped forward, getting on her tippy-toes to see if she could peer over the notepad resting in his hand, but he clutched it closely to his chest, almost in a child like manner.

“Not yet, love,” He said, closing it and stuffing it back into his pocket.

“Oooh, yet. As in, I’ll get to see?”

“Perhaps.”

Tease.

She looked down at her cup of coffee, taking a sip of it. She almost asked him if he would like her to go back and order him one, but stopped herself short of doing so for the fact he’d revealed to her during their first visit with one another. He watches her with a decided interest, sipping at the coffee and looking around at her surroundings as though she’d never been in the very place she’d lived in for about 21 years now ever in her life. Her eyes fix back on him, a curious look spreading across her features.

“I hope it’s nothing dirty,” She finally replied, teasing him a little.

His face goes red at the remark and he nearly laughed. “It’s not. I do still write, y’know?”

“I know you do, I’ve been looking forward to hearing something new.”

“Glad to hear it,” He smiled.

She returned the smile with a content sigh. Suddenly, her cell phone rang. She held her coffee out to Bono, as if to ask him if he would hold it for her. He took it without a word, watching her fish into her pocket for her cell phone. She looked at the display and rolled her eyes immediately. Well, that can’t be a good sign, he thought.

“Hello?” She answered.

Hey, Grace! It’s John,” He piped up with more enthusiasm than a child on Christmas morning.

“Yeah, I know. What’s up?”

Bono looked around nervously, paying no mind to the phone exchange.

I was just wondering. I get off work in a couple hours and I thought maybe we could have lunch.”

“Oh, by the way. Thanks for the message,” She replied, ignoring his offer.

So is that a yes?

“Look, I’ve got things to do around later, I’m a bit busy, I’m sorry,” She said, trying her hardest not to sigh sarcastically at what had to have been the hundredth and first time he’d asked her that, or a variation of it, this month. At the very least.

Ohhh, I see, I’m sorry about that. I’ll let you go then. See ya!” He said cheerfully, hanging up.

Grace sighed, shoving the phone back into her pocket. “Sorry about that,” She apologized to Bono, putting on a cheerful smile for him that made him break out into a big grin. He handed the cup back to her and she took it gratefully with a ‘thank you’.

“It’s fine, love,” He replied. “So, do you like books?”

That’s a little...random. She blinked for a moment.

“Actually, I’ve never really been a book person...” She answered hesitantly. “I never really had the opportunity.”

“’Tis a shame. Books are the greatest gift you can give someone,” He said with a smile. “I think we ought to fix that.”

“Oh?”

“There’s a nice bookstore in the city, why don’t I take you there to check it out?” He asked hopefully.

“I’d like that,” She said, taking another drink of her coffee.

“We would walk there, but you said that you had some things to do, so we’ll stop by my apartment to pick up my car.”

She nodded, following his lead as he explained his quite extravagant apartment to her. Apparently, she had not lived too terribly far from the building at all. The walk just down the street from the shop, to his apartment was nothing more than a fifteen minute hike at best. He explained all kinds of things along the way. The other celebrities he sees around the city, the ones who reside in the same building as he does, even the little details about the decor inside of the place. He pointed out his car on the way in, watching her expression go into awe at the expensive looking vehicle.

She looked at him curiously as he led her into the building. “What did we come in for?”

“I left my cell phone. I don’t normally take it with me when I go on walks, don’t like to be bothered much,” He explained, waving at the woman up front as they passed her and went into the elevator.

“Aha, I see. I keep mine with me in case someone needs me.”

“Understandable. One o’ the boys might be up here, provided you don’t mind meeting them!”

“The boys?” She asked, confusion written across her face. Her mouth went into an ‘o’ shape as she realized what he meant. “Oh! Your band mates!”

“Right,” He nodded, leading her out of the elevator once it stopped on his floor and down the hall way.

“This place is huge!” She said, looking all around her.

Bono simply laughed, digging for the keys that he frequently misplaced - whether it be in the pocket he doesn’t remember putting them into, or in an entirely different room. Nevermind the time he locked them into his car, which Edge still teased him for. He chuckled at the thought, pulling the key-littered chain out of his pocket and unlocking the door. He waves his hand towards the doorway, bowing for her.

“After you.”

“Oh, alright then,” She shuffled past him into the lavish apartment, looking at every little detail and taking it in.

He strode past her, searching each room for his cell phone. Random grumbles, mumbles and indistinct speech could be heard as he went from room to room, checking every drawer, shelf and pair of pants before he came across it in the previous day’s jeans. He sighed, a small smile threatening to break out on his face at his own scatterbrained personality.

Out in the living area, someone cleared their throat behind Grace suddenly, startling her. She turned around, seeing a man sporting a simple tee shirt, jeans and a beanie on his head. She thinks for a moment, trying to place the name to the man standing in front of her. He looked her up and down, observing when Bono came back out of the bedroom, cell phone in hand.

“There you are. I called you five times, now I see why you didn’t answer,” The man finally spoke up, first thing out of his mouth since the startle.

“You know I don’t take it with me on walks. Anyway, let me introduce you,” The singer replied, putting his hand on the young woman’s shoulder. “Grace, this is The Edge, or Dave, or Reg. You could always call him ‘the alien from another planet’ if you want, too.”

“Hello Grace, pleasure meeting you,” Edge nodded his head to her. “That alien joke is so old. Can I have a word with you, B?”

“If this is about the joke...”

“No.”

Grace stepped back, watching as the guitarist pulled Bono into the other room and began talking to him. The entire exchange was out of earshot, so she turned around, looking at the rest of the living area instead. Looking, but not touching. More afraid she would break something with her clumsiness than anything. Everything seemed to have been themed in the colour of green. Must be his favourite colour. She laughed to herself, surprised that the place did not look as tacky as she would have figured coming from a man.

“I thought we talked about this,” Edge said, motioning to the woman in the other room.

“What am I doing wrong?”

“You brought her to your apartment.”

“We just came to get my cell phone--” The lead man said, cutting himself off at his band mate’s suspicious look. “Oh please! It’s not like I brought her here to sleep with her! I was going to take her to the bookstore down in the city.”

“How many would that make this year?”

“Look, Reg. I appreciate your concern and all, but I am fine. She is fine. Nothing is going on between us.”

“Yet.”

“Would you get off my case about that already? I’m not doing anything wrong,” Bono finally supplied, with a sigh.

“Listen, I’m just looking out for you. You’re getting too old to do the things that you did seven years ago.”

“Whatever. If you don’t mind, the lovely young woman in the living room is on a bit of a tight schedule, so I’m going to run her by the bookstore. I’ll ring you after I drop her off so we can go over some lyrics, okay?”

“That’s fine. I’ll just be hanging around in the city,” The guitarist replied, turning back out of the room and walking by Grace. “Nice meeting you,” He said as he exited the apartment.

She watched him leave, wondering by his rather flat tone if things were okay between he and his band mate. Bono came back out, stuffing his cell phone into his jacket pocket and looked back up at her. He looked sort of annoyed until he cleared his throat, forcing a smile. “Now love, how about we go hit that bookstore?”

Sis, has I told you lately that I lurve you? :kiss:

^^ :lmao: OMG I know it was a typo and the wrong post quoted, but Frankie saying she lurve's Serena, and then ali26 saying she likt (licked) it just about had me falling over :lol: :silent:

:reject: Sorry.....:wink:

Nice job Serena! I'm really intrigued with this! :up:

^^ :lmao: OMG I know it was a typo and the wrong post quoted, but Frankie saying she lurve's Serena, and then ali26 saying she likt (licked) it just about had me falling over :lol: :silent:

:reject: Sorry.....:wink:

Nice job Serena! I'm really intrigued with this! :up:
:tsk: Gluey! :shame:

:lol: J/k, girl! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom