Gotta Love Cool Moms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
So people have been posting a lot recently about how cool their parents are about U2...some parents are big fans themselves and I've heard a lot about Moms joining in the U2 action
smile.gif

So I thought I'd share this story...

For Christmas I made everyone in my family CDs of songs that I thought they needed to hear as well as their favorite songs or songs that reminded me of them. On my Mom's CD I put a couple of U2 songs including Beautiful Day (which was the first song on EVERYONE'S mix), One, and WGRYWH. She put the CD in the car stereo and listened to it over and over and over again.
smile.gif

She hasn't said anything about it since Christmas. But then last night she calls me and the first thing out of her mouth is "Do you happen to have the lyrics to that Wild Horses song? I really love it and I want to know the words so I can yell it when I'm listening to it."

So I immediately sent her the words and I get this e-mail today:

"My dearest daughter, thank you so much for the lyrics. And thank you so much for introducing me to WGRYWH and to U2. I wonder if you would make me another CD with "inspirational" U2 songs on it...songs that make you feel good and think about life. I think I would really like that. I love you. Talk to you soon."

How cool is that?
biggrin.gif

So I've got two purposes for this thread...
1) Tell me cool stories about parents and U2
2) Suggest songs that I should put on this mix for my Mom

smile.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

My parents gave me "The Joshua Tree" CD on April 1, 1995, and I have been hooked ever since. After seeing what a huge fan I was, Mom gave me their copy of JT on vinyl. We actually had a conversation about it the other day:

Me: Chase [our new dog] was in my room, and he knocked over my Joshua Tree record and stepped on it!!! That's not cool!

Dad: What do you mean, YOUR record?? That's mine!

Me: Mom gave it to me!

Dad: What?? SHE gave you MY record?? *looks at Mom*

*lol* I love my parents!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

What an awesome story, hippy!

hmmm...songs to add to the mix. *tries to think of a few from all eras*

-I Will Follow
-Gloria
-Rejoice
-Two Hearts Beat As One
-A Sort of Homecoming
-Pride
-Bad (at least it's inspirational to ME
biggrin.gif
)
-Streets
-ISHFWILF
-In God's Country
-One Tree Hill
-Heartland
-Mysterious Ways
-One
-Zooropa (ok, maybe only if your mom is WAY cool)
-The First Time
-Discotheque
-BD
-Stuck
-Elevation
-Walk On
-Wild Honey
-WILATW
-Grace

well there's a few anyways.
wink.gif

-sula

A trip to the airport last weekend sparked this conversation with my mother and I:
Mom: Oh, they have really cheap trips to Ireland. Should we go?
Me: Yes *controls drooling and giggling* yes we should.
Mom: What would we do?
Me: I'll find stiff for us to do *cough* U2 *cough*
Mom: *realizes her daughter's intentions* No. We will not be going to Ireland.

frown.gif
sad day huh? I've had some good U2 related conversations with my parents. Some have got me grounded: "no, you're old dad" others have gotten a giggle: "you skipped school to get a U2 CD?". But all and all the parents are ok with my U2 love.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

flibbertigibbet

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Hippy, your Mom is awesome!

Our parents should hang out
wink.gif

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Now America looks smart and, dare I say it, sexy again." ~ Bono, 2000

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

okay...

this is somewhat embarrassing...

A couple of friends and I decide to go to a movie and my dad wants to come with us. I try to tell him "no" but then this happens:

*I'm about ready to leave with my friends and we're all standing in the driveway when..*

DAD: *runs out the front door dressed in...a leather jacket, black pants, and, em, fly shades* Wait! I wanna come too!

MY FRIENDS: BWAHAHAHAAHAAAA!

ME: *blush* *sigh* Alright.

So we all went to the movies with my dad dressed like...Bono. And no...he doesn't look anything like Bono but it was still funny.
biggrin.gif
He got some questionable looks as we were entering the cinema too. lol

redface.gif

------------------
*~*Phuzzie*~*

*Owner of the BonoDoll*

WARNING: Insanity is highly contagious!

My U2 Site

"I don't usually come across as a very deep person, but really I am deep. I'm deep when I need to be. When I'm frustrated I'll let all my feelings out, I'll be deep. So let me be deep, but don't get me frustrated." ~ Me, when asked how I could write such a deep response to the meaning of "Beautiful Day"

Awww....guys! I loveth all these stories! And thank you for the compliments for my mom...she really is a cool woman and I love her to pieces. I'm so excited cause she's coming to visit me next Tues, Weds, and Thurs!
biggrin.gif

Sula, thanks for the song list! I like all of those...I'm really having trouble picking songs. LOL, I actually contemplated just copying all the albums for her cause I can't choose
smile.gif

Keep the stories and suggestions coming!

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

What a cute mom story, hippy! (And everyone else, too.) It's taken my mom awhile, but the sheer volume of U2 she's been exposed to over the years has finally begun to take its toll.
wink.gif
A few cute mommy tales:

1. Last time I was home, we were having dinner and my dad mentioned there was lemon on the table if anyone wanted to add it to their soup. My mom sang, "Le-MON!" in a high Bono voice.
biggrin.gif

2. Soon after I got a new bootleg CD, I was in the car with my mom listening to it. It was a collection of acoustic songs, with the questionable inclusion of a badly recorded, decidedly nonacoustic version of "I Will Follow." So when it came on, about 2 seconds into the song I reached up and skipped to the next track. My mom immediately exclaimed, "Hey! I like that one!" So I turned it back on and she sang along loudly to the chorus.

3. She mailed me the Newsweek with Bono and Bill Gates.

4. When she saw the photo of Bono with Jean Chretien, she was crushed to find out he was so short. Hee hee!

On a related note, my dad likes U2 because "they just play their songs. They don't try to be all pretty and stuff." (This was after he saw them play the Super Bowl.) The comment is made all the funnier by knowing that my father is an 'N Sync fan. I almost told them that the members of U2 don't have to *try* to be pretty because they just *are*, but I decided against it. Discussing my extreme appreciation of the physical attributes of these 40-year-old men with my dad wasn't really a conversation I wanted to be having.
wink.gif

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Okay...so I spent ALL night attempting to consolidate two decades of U2 goodness into a CD.

Let's just say, it didn't work at all. So one CD turned into two. And the songs aren't JUST inspirational...I made a list of my favorite songs, and then I messed around with the order so they fit together perfectly.

(On a side note: Does anyone else notice how well every U2 song no matter from what era, no matter what song flows together perfectly? I found that to be really cool!)

So here's the two CD set I'll be sending to my mother...Keep in mind that I worked on these ALL night long. (And I'm making myself a copy, too!)

Mom's Mix Disc One:
1) I Will Follow
2) Out of Control
3) Sunday Bloody Sunday
4) UTEOTW
5) BTBS
6) God Part II
7) MW
8) EBTTRT
9) Desire
10) Discotheque (this one belongs on ANY mix)
11) HMTMKMKM
12) Gone (from Best Buy Elevation Promo CD)
13) Pride
14) Streets
15) Summer Rain
16) Always
17) BD
18) Elevation
19) BGAB

Mom's Mix Disc Two:
1) 40
2) MLK
3) ISHFWILF
4) Bad (Album version)
5) In God's Country
6) Staring At the Sun
7) Running to Stand Still
8) Please
9) Love Is Blindness
10) WOWY
11) Stay
12) TGBHF
13) AIWIY
14) Peace On Earth
15) One (Achtung Baby version)
16) Grace
17) Walk On (from U27)

So now my mom and I both have about 3 hours of U2 listening pleasure!
biggrin.gif

And I used an entire evening I should have been working for real
biggrin.gif
Ah well...it's for the good of the spirit!

------------------

Great choices. The first portion of CD 1 is pretty intense! And CD 2 is much more mellow. Excellent. I like the fact that you put Always and BD together, too.

Oh god I feel so old...if my daughter was old enough to type she would be replying to this thread instead of me! I subject my kids to U2 at every opportunity and they know most of the words and what they dont know they make up (my 7 year old still insists Bono sings 'You can eat this soup of flies' instead of 'you can keep this suit of lights' in Gone. Technically my 4 year old has already attended his first his first U2 concert cause I went into labour with him at POPmart!!!

Originally posted by Wild_Honey:
Oh god I feel so old...if my daughter was old enough to type she would be replying to this thread instead of me! I subject my kids to U2 at every opportunity and they know most of the words and what they dont know they make up (my 7 year old still insists Bono sings 'You can eat this soup of flies' instead of 'you can keep this suit of lights' in Gone. Technically my 4 year old has already attended his first his first U2 concert cause I went into labour with him at POPmart!!!

LOL did you wait till the show was over before going to the hospital?
wink.gif
That would be a great story to tell when he gets older. "Yes dear when you were born around a giant lemon."

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Ok, so it's not my parent, but it's my grandparent, so it counts.

Late one Saturday night I get a call...
Me: Hello?
Grandpa: Shannon, turn on A&E.
Me: *turns on TV* Oh, that's Sting.
Grandpa: Don't you like Sting? Isn't he your new favorite?
Me: Yea, thanks for calling.

Ok, so I'm not all about Sting, but how cute is that? Gotta love my grandpa!

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

oh my dad is kool but my mum well she HATES U2 and my fancyman (longstory) well yeh he's jealous of larry, he just txted me and said ill be taking over your boys soon...uhm nope, i told him i wouldnt go out with him til he got me larry mullen...I drive a hard bargain
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo yeh my dad, he buys me cd's, when ATYCLB came out i had to go to the dentist that morning he came with me and afterwards he took me in the car and we ran into the shop to buy it, it was hilarious!

He runs about his work stealing newspapers and mags with ANY u2 related story in it

He bought this u2 encyclopedia and he reads it and always tries to impress me with his u2 knowledge

When we go to Dublin he always makes sure me and him have a u2 day and we go tot he clarence, buy u2 posters, u know..the usual
wink.gif

I write some articles for the newspaper here. some were u2 related and now he said hes gonna send them to bono and he said oh mr bono will love ur articles and then u can meet them... hes silly sometimes

He brings "my boys" into a conversation as if they lived next door lol

jasus hes great but my mum is SICKENED by u2 and my dad is a HOIGE elvis fan, she said we have obsessive personalities and she hates bono and im not allowed larry for my computer screensaver cus "hes not that goodlooking" tsk tsk!

My Mom calls Larry her Son-in-law
biggrin.gif
She's kewl

------------------
THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

Member and Creator of Larry's Angels Harley Club.

"I hit things for a living. I hit things and people clap!" --Larry

ani_larry.gif

Larry: Get me off this fookin booooooooos!

[This message has been edited by Mullen-Girl (edited 02-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:
My Mom calls Larry her Son-in-law
biggrin.gif
She's kewl

My mom doesn't like U2. Well, she does, but not really. She thought they were REM for a long time. All she's said about them was "Bono's not that good-looking," even when her friends aren't kicking him out of Lowe's.

My mom and dad at least know who U2 are.

My mom called during halftime. I was like "Mo-om? hello? don't call!"

and then my dad did tape the direct TV thing for me. That was cool.

But the funniest thing is that my boss knows I love U2, and I know her mom and dad pretty well. THEY know I love U2, and while they were in Florida over winter break, they saw an article in the paper about U2 and brought it back for me!!! Talk about spreading the word!!!

Speaking of newspapers...my dad's friend saw an article about U2 in a local paper and cut it out. He gave it to my dad and said, "I know your daughter is really into U2, could you send this to her?"

How feckin' cool is that? My dad talks to people about my U2 addiction...er, I mean obsession...no, I mean love, yeah, that's it
biggrin.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thi

Originally posted by Wild_Honey:

LOL! Were you able to make it through the whole concert? That must've been an interesting experience, to say the least!
smile.gif

I like your CDs, hippy! Good combination of songs!

And since we're on the topic of family members and U2, my grandma thinks that U2 is a boy band like NSync or something. I guess my dad had told her that I liked U2, so on Thanksgiving she was asking me about them. Her questions were like "When you go to their concerts do you scream like all those girls they show on TV?" "Which one is the cutest?" and stuff like that. I tried to explain to her that U2 isn't a boy band, but I don't think she understood so I gave up.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
I like your CDs, hippy! Good combination of songs!

And since we're on the topic of family members and U2, my grandma thinks that U2 is a boy band like NSync or something. I guess my dad had told her that I liked U2, so on Thanksgiving she was asking me about them. Her questions were like "When you go to their concerts do you scream like all those girls they show on TV?" "Which one is the cutest?" and stuff like that. I tried to explain to her that U2 isn't a boy band, but I don't think she understood so I gave up.
smile.gif

Thanks, I think my mom will like the CDs
smile.gif

And never let your Grandma see the Discotheque video cause then she'll NEVER give up the idea that they are a boy band
wink.gif

------------------

Originally posted by Kristie:
She thought they were REM for a long time.

bwahahHAHAHAHAH!!!! ROFLMFAO!!

Michael Stipe...Bono...same diff! Oh that is great!

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Three days of posts were just erased!!! BLARG
frown.gif
FECK
mad.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Originally posted by On The Edge:
Three days of posts were just erased!!! BLARG
frown.gif
FECK
mad.gif

I'll help fill it back up!

Well, today I decided I was going to put 'soul' on the bottom of my boots, like our favorite singer. Heres the convo with my stepdad (Mark) and my mom.

Me: Mark, can I use some masking tape?
Mark: For what?
Me: I need to make Bonoboots. He has 'soul' on the bottom of his.
Mark: Maybe you can buy the masking tape on the internet. You might even be able to buy it for under $200! Bono Tape: The Real Thing!!
Me: Even better than the real thing!
Mom: *sings* even better than the real thing...
Me: Mom, I'm so proud of you. Good job.

I'm surprised she knew that song. She makes me so proud sometimes!

------------------
Good morning, kids

I liek milk!

Blargh at the lost posts...

But cool to this!

Originally posted by President Stupid:
Me: Even better than the real thing!
Mom: *sings* even better than the real thing...
Me: Mom, I'm so proud of you. Good job.

------------------
"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Back
Top Bottom