Got your LOTR video yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It came out this week. My kids wanted it so bad. I had wanted to wait for the extended version to come out on DVD. My DVD player passed away a few days ago :sad: so for now I got the VHS. I got it at Wal-Mart, the sign said $14.27 but it rang up as $15.68. When I told the girl she could go right over and look at the sign, she came back and gave it to me for $11.24! She said if there's a mistake you get $3 off! At that price it's a better deal than renting :yes:

I got the DVD on Tuesday. On the first tow, I have both the theatrical and the extended editions. I am, of course, going to the get the extended version of this one, too! I love these movies!

I won't be able to afford it for a while. I i'm really looking foward to having it

An aquantance was kind enough to to make a VHS from her DVD extended copies for me of TFOTR & TTT. I still own her a few bucks for the TTT favor. .:reject: On occasion & not meaning to be bad, I can just not get round to the PO or have the extra money just at the time I can go to the PO I have a CD she also sent along as a surprise but I hacve it & I need to send that back to her, too. more :reject:. I have the softpack & every thing. I certainly paid her fast the last time. I really got to take care of that.!!!

I bought the theatricAL vhs OF ttt as a used one. I knew I could ask her for the extended later on.
I don't even know whether they're releasing the theatrical on VHS, anymore-what with the continuing change over from VHS to all DVD.

I love all three! The last is my favorite with all the payoffs, but the first too as soooo marvelous & magnificant!

BTW u2 kit I did a post just now in the Moving mtgs & sghtings thread poll re Elvis. You might want to take a look at it. :)

I don't have money right now for a DVD, but my sis has a VHS/DVD.At least I could prabably save enuff up in time for the extended release.

I'm hoping that when the extended version comes out they have some sort of package with all 3 like they have now. I just have the 1st one and it's not the extended version. So I'm waiting :D....plus I'm too poor to get it now :(

I think I'm going to wait until all three come out in the super-deluxe extended version boxed set, since I don't have the other two. You know they will. For now, I'll just borrow my mom's copies :wink:

Though my roommate has only seen the first one, so we might have to go to the video store and have a marathon.

I'll probably wait for the extended version. I have both versions of the first 2, but that was because for situations beyond my control I wasn't able to see them in the theater... So when they came out on DVD I was already dying too see them and I obviously wasn't going to wait for the extended dvds, though I did get them later on. But I did catch ROTK in the theater so I think I can wait. :) I'm excited though. I'm dying for my dad too see it, he saw the other two on DVD recently and he is hooked now.

Last edited:
I had to take mine back already. Tape 1 was fine but part 2 was all skippy and jumpy. I thought it would straighten out but it never did. I got a new one and it's fine.

Don't you hate that? I got the Big Fish DVD not too long ago and about three chapters in the middle were completly messed up. I finished it, then exchanged it, but I still haven't gone back to watch what I missed. It is the most annoying thing that can happen in the middle of a movie. I'm glad you got it straightened out.

2 QUESTIONS

U2Kitten said:
I had to take mine back already. Tape 1 was fine but part 2 was all skippy and jumpy. I thought it would straighten out but it never did. I got a new one and it's fine.

:scratch:
U2kit- this one's for you.

sInce I don't have the money right now, I have to wait. I won't go into the store even.
BUT you mentioned tapes 1 & 2and the time frame seemed current.

SO is ROTK theatrical on VHS as well as DVD? Or were you refered to the one of the previous extended LOTR movies.? I thoought those didn't even comeut on VHS?

general watching the LOTR movies question

I have a list ( don't have thern all yet) of say about 10 - 20 movies I could/can watch over and over again through the years. I sometimes watch one I pick out several times before I switch to another. LOTR is definately going to be an addition here.

BUt since I've been watching TTT extended for a year and will continue until I get ROTK, do you ever find youself wondering where is a particular scene is, then realize it's either toward the end in FOTR EX, or near the begining of ROTK. Boy this is going to get more confusing for me when ROTK comes out :lol:

I think in my case since with other roomates, I don't get the video too often to use in the living room and a TV I was given as a gift, I still need to get the model/make off so I can a remote and I think it won't work untiil I get an antennae.

Re: 2 QUESTIONS

sInce I don't have the money right now, I have to wait. I won't go into the store even.

SO is ROTK theatrical on VHS as well as DVD? Or were you refered to the one of the previous extended LOTR movies.? I thoought those didn't even comeut on VHS?

Since I've been watching TTT EX for a year plus and will continue until I get ROTK, do you ever find youself wondering where is a particular scene is, then realize it's either toward the end in FOTR EX, or near the begining of theatrical ROTK Example: cFor me I keep expecting gandolf/gimli/aragorn& legolas to ride up to merry & pippin in TTT ex.

I think in my case since with other roomates, I don't get the video too often to use in the living room TV. A TV I have in my room was given as a gift, I still need to get the model/make off so I can a remote and I think it won't work untiil I get an antennae [no cable for now}. Then I can watch it to my hearts conent!

I may be seeing it too far in between to have the beginning scenes & end scenes of the EX's down in my memory. I wonder even if I mix up the theatrical & the Ex versuions, too. :der:

I have list of about 15 movies ( don't have them all yet] I can watch repeatedly, and the LOTR's set qill go in there.
One thing I like more about watching movies at times than rereading a fav book, is I know the movie well enough thaT I don't have to ususally super-concentrate <unless I want to for a partculaR SCENE/S>, I do plently od other things, writing leters, skimming the paperrs, knitting & jewelry making while watching.

Re: 2 QUESTIONS

Since I've been watching TTT EX for a year plus and will continue until I get ROTK, do you ever find youself wondering where is a particular scene is, then realize it's either toward the end in FOTR EX, or near the begining of theatrical ROTK Example: cFor me I keep expecting gandolf/gimli/aragorn& legolas to ride up to merry & pippin in TTT ex. :der:

I think in my case since with other roomates, I don't get the video too often to use in the living room TV. A TV I have in my room was given as a gift, I still need to get the model/make off so I can a remote and I think it won't work untiil I get an antennae [no cable for now}. Then I can watch it to my hearts conent!

I may be seeing it too far in between to have the beginning scenes & end scenes of the EX's down in my memory. I wonder even if I mix up the theatrical & the Ex versuions, too. :lol:

I have list of about 15 movies ( don't have them all yet] I can watch repeatedly, and the LOTR's set qill go in there.
One thing I like more about watching movies at times than rereading a fav book, is I know the movie well enough thaT I don't have to ususally super-concentrate <unless I want to for a partculaR scene/s >, I do plently od other things, writing leters, skimming the paperrs, knitting & jewelry making while watching.

Last edited:
Since I knew how huge these movies were I went about an odd way of collecting them. Now, I have not seen any of the movies at the theater, never read the books, but knew that they were movies to have in the DVD collection.

The first one I bought was the extended FOTR. Watched one disc, didn't have a clue what was going on & was bored. I'm guessing that it had everything to do with the fact that I was sick that day and really should have not even bothered with it.

When TTT came out with the theatrical release on DVD, I bought it because I wanted the documentary that was narrated by Michael Rosenbaum. I'm a huge fan of his. Never tried to watch TTT since I had not really seen FOTR.

ROTK came out this week and Best Buy was running all the previous editions on sale as well as ROTK. So, I completed my collection by buying the theatrical release of FOTR, the extended TTT, and of course the theatrical release of ROTK.

Over this weekend I have watched the theatrical versions of FOTR and TTT. LOVED THEM!! Can't wait to watch ROTK tomorrow night. I'm really bummed out that I didn't see any of them at the theater as the visuals had to be incredible on the big screen.

glad you are enjoying them now!

I don't know where you live but maybe there's abit of chance when the EX ROTK arrives some one will run it on screen. I bet they'd have a good run for 2 or so weeks. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

dazzledbylight said:
glad you are enjoying them now!

I don't know where you live but maybe there's abit of chance when the EX ROTK arrives some one will run it on screen. I bet they'd have a good run for 2 or so weeks. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Well, I doubt they will run the extended ROTK as they didn't run the extended versions of the first two except for that day that there was a nationwide LOTR one day marathon of all three extended versions. But I'll keep my ears open and hopefully they will do that.

I think I should give it a chance but I am not into that kinda fantasy world. Can I start to love those movies even though I am not into it from what I heard or saw of it?

Last edited:
Cute Irish Bono said:
I think I should give it a chance but I am not into that kinda fantasy world. Can I start to love those movies even though I am not into it from what I heard or saw of it?

I'm not into the fantasy genre, but I gave the movies a try since they were so huge. I don't predict that I will develop the obsession (I mean that in the nicest way) that so many people have with these films, but I did enjoy them and will be watching them again.

Try doing what I did and make sure you watch the theatrical release. I talked to a friend of mine tonight who is one of the obsessed and she said I did the right thing by watching the regular version first. She told me to save the extended versions for later as there is so much more to them and can be overwhelming for newbies to the films.

Make sure that you won't be disturbed as you do have to pay attention to what is going on and is said. They certainly aren't fluff films that you can miss 20 minutes and still know what's going on. Hope that if you do try them that you will like them!!

Hi, CIB

Lady V has a good suggestion.

I, myself read the books when I was twelve and flipped for them. I'd say becuase he did wonderfully with many of the characters detailing & emotions.

Then there's the great drama: joy, sorrow, stealth, suprises etc

He made the Land Itself into a character, so if you love Nature in general you would love alone the amazing lands of New Zealand with so many various types of landscapes.

The funny thing was they spoiled me for just about any other fanatasy books. :laugh:

I'm a serious Science Fiction/Speculative Fiction reader of the type where *not only* astronomy, physics, geography and interesting other intelligent Sapiens are thought up, but a special, still growing sub-genre of SF that *also explores* culture, the arts, spirituality, differences, pyschology, sociology etc

so if you feel curious again some time, give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom