Going Solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Echo

War Child
Typically when members of a band do solo albums, they don't sound like the music they made when they were in the group. Take the Beatles, for example. After the Beatles, Paul's music got softer and John's got more minimalist. After the Police, Sting got more pop and less punk, while Stewart Copeland started composing film scores and operas.

So lets say the lads do some solo work. How do you think it'd be different from what U2 does? Do you think any of them would pursue careers outside of music? (Besides Bono's political inclinations, of course.)

My first thought was that Edge would probably do some experimental tracks. For the last ten or fifteen years he's been fascinated by unusual, oddball music (as described in the GQ article), so I think if he was allowed to go off on his own tangent, he'd indulge in experimental, maybe industrial, or some sort of techno-country hybrid.

I don't know, I just need something to talk about.

-Echo

------------------
Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure
Experience it at http://www.geocities.com/bonogoestovegas

Help me set up the Beginner's Guide to PLEBA! Version 1.0 is at:
http://www.vodkatea.com/g/glossary.asp?gid=165

Echo, I've been chomping at the bit for an Edge solo album for years (tho I don't include the Captive soundtrack). I have no idea what an Edge solo album might sound like, but of all the guys, HE is the one who really needs a showcase album for his amazing and myriad talents. It would be SO awesome if he would do a solo album where he can really experiement with his guitars and most of all: HIS VOICE!!! But I wouldn't be averse to hearing a purely instrumental album from him...

I think Edge is really the only member of U2 who can go out on his own and not really need a lot of extra instrumentation around d his guitar work...whereas the other 3 DO need to have that in order to showcase and 'round out' their instruments/voices.

I'd also love it if Bono would do a true solo album (featuring his own lyrics, of course), and if Larry/Adam would do a compilation solo album with Larry singing a couple of tunes...that would kick butt!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

disco

Oops... I, er, thought this thread was going to be about a different type of solo action...

------------------
you've got the right shoes to get you through the night

b.gif

Ummmm ... I can help Bono so he doesn't have to go at it alone.
wink.gif

Originally posted by u2zed:
Oops... I, er, thought this thread was going to be about a different type of solo action...

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

Here are my proposed titles for the boys' first solo albums:

"Sexy Man Cleavage" by Larry Mullen

"Sarong Songs" by Adam Clayton (featuring various naked pictures on the cover)

"Bedazzled" by The Edge

"I Miss My Mullett" by Bono

Sorry ... I am in a silly mood this aftenoon!

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

Back
Top Bottom