Funny Bono Mentions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bearleft said:

Rattle and Hum on the big screen.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

On the comment track of Fight Club, the director says "And this is the part where tyler durden becomes Bono" in the scene where tyler "returns" with a shaved head, weird sunglasses, a furry coat and funky pants :laugh:

I think this is a new one:

In Scrubs, Season 2. Elliot is unpacking her CD collection when she comes across The Joshua Tree "*Sigh*, I love U2" as her sensitive "murse" (man nurse, like moobs) is walking by. Murse takes it the wrong way and says "I love you too." Hilarity ensues. Love that show.

Also, I think "Just Friends" was mentioned already. But Bono is mentioned twice in there.

Melayna, I LOVE that episode of Scrubs. I watched it with my dad and I laughed hysterically when that part came up. My dad just looked at me like I was insane, but whatever, lol.

Um. Another Gilmore Girls mention. Lorelai and Luke have just started dating and Lorelai is listing music that Luke has to have if they're going to be dating. At the very top of the list is U2. I think she says something like. Oooh. Bono. U2 is a must.

Carmelu2fan said:

You are not crazy Katie. I would call you a bluecrackhead like me!!:yes: That is a very good thing. I would have let the song play too. Perhaps she did not want an awsome somg like WOWY to be ruined with the memory of a bad break up. That is what I told myself so I would not be totally pissed at her.

Didn't think about that. Hehehe. Good explanation, Adriana. (I have a good memory see!! I'm right, aren't I?)

Last edited:
:lol: funny thread!

Ohh, in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" Hugh Grant is arguing with his ex, and she's csobbing, and says "You thought U2 was a submarine!!", to which Hugh responds "Well, their music is pretty naval", or something of the sort :lmao: I jumped when I heard that!! The other day they were airing the movie again and I watched that bit :D

U2Girl1978 said:

oh my...lol I can't believe I missed it. I always watch Everwood. favorite show. :heart:

Yeah, Everwood's cool!! AND I missed that too :( Or maybe that season wasn't aired here yet?? :hmm:

Oh wait!! I remembered something: the day before yesterday I watched "Be Cool", with John Travolta, and he's talking and suggests to convince Steven Tyler to sing with some girl, to which he is told "Yeah, and you could also call Bono and Sting to make a new Christams record" :lol:

SimplyConfused said:

Didn't think about that. Hehehe. Good explanation, Adriana. (I have a good memory see!! I'm right, aren't I?)

Hey Katie:wave: I remember you too!!!! That was one of my favorite FRIENDS episode for obvious reasons.

:wink:

LMBLover said:
Speaking of Bono mentions on Everwood, am I the only who thinks Gregory Smith the guy who plays Ephram, looks like Bono in his early 20's??

oh oh oh, I have noticed this too! Looking at some pics you can really see the resemblance..

^ :ohmy: hehe, definitely worth the check!

smk1379 said:

It is this season 2005-2006!

Oh, I think we get older ones here :madspit: But I'll watch it eventually!! :wink:

I remember reading something on anecdotes.com. Robbie Williams was at some art gallery opening and he was stoned or something. He was staring at this piece of art and Bono came along.

Robbie: Bono, man this picture is fuckin' amazin'!!! So real and life like!

Bono: Robbie, that's a window.

I laughed so much!! That site has many U2 anecdotes. Pretty funneh.

yeah there's also a scene where he stayed at bono's house in dublin and he was supposed to write in a book, where all the people who stay with the hewsons apparantly write something in there..and there were all those really brilliant people in there with lots of wise words and Robbie sat down and thought about what to write for a few hours.

in the end he wrote "thanks bono, love rob" :wink:

i'll type it up once i find that book

bit late but finally found the book and wanted to share that part with you, if you haven't actually read it already..this is from "Feel" Rob's biography

---

Perhaps there is something about lounging in comfort on a luxurious private plane that triggers reminiscene. As we fly into German airspace, Rob starts talking about his encounters with Bono. The first is one of his favourite anecdotes from the lost drug days. He had flown over to Bono's Dublin retreat for a party. Patsy and Liam had been on the plane and during the journey he had persuaded Liam that when Bono relaxes he likes calling the bingo. At the party, Rob got off his head on mushrooms and Bono found him staring at the wall. Rob had been staring at the same thing for ages, because he was quite sure it was the most beautiful picture he'd ever seen in his life
"Bono," he said, "that picture's amazing..."
"Robbie," pointed out Bono, patiently. "That's the window."

Rob stayed in the guest house. All the previous guests had written on the walls, and he was expected to do the same. Before leaving, he stood there for ages, looking at the words from Salman Rushdie and Kofi Annan and all the others, intimidated by all the scrawled wisdom and poetry, trying to work out how he could match it. Finally, he raised his pen.
"To Bono," he wrote. "Love Robbie."

He is besotted with Bono, and with U2. It was watching their April 2001 concert in Anaheim, California, that was one of the principal spurs to make him want to retire as a solo artist and form a band. In his prayers for some time afterwards he would literally implore: "God, can I find the Edge, please? And can you help me to write really deep lyrics that touch my soul as much as Bono's touch mine?"
After the Anaheim show, he went backstage and told Bono: "When I grow up, I want to be like you." He received that look from Bono that suggested this was not the thought he should be thinking. Bono can make him feel like that quite easily.

There is one moment from his various encounters with Bono he regrets most of all. Bono has a way, now and then, of grabbing you and looking you in the eye and really talking to you. When Rob was around him, Rob would wish for Bono to do this, but be terrified of it too. One night, right at the start of Rob's solo career, Bono was talking to him like that, and said to him: "If you want, you could be absolutely huge."
And Rob replied, "Yeah, I'm going to be the biggest celebrity ever."
I'm going to be the biggest celebrity ever.
"The minute it went through my lips I knew it was wrong," says Rob. "And he looked at me like I'd stolen one of his children. And he said no, no, no.... And I went no, no, no..."

Last edited:
lol he really is a u2 fan! I heard the story about the window on the radio a while ago when they played trippin' ... my sister is going to RW's concert next year, and she likes him.. but she can't believe he loves U2... heh I'm saving alll this evidence!
:evil:

:yes: he really loves them :9

i'm going to *counts* 8 concerts next year..at least that's what's planned, but i'll probably end up going to even more :|

Galeongirl said:
lol he really is a u2 fan! I heard the story about the window on the radio a while ago when they played trippin' ... my sister is going to RW's concert next year, and she likes him.. but she can't believe he loves U2... heh I'm saving alll this evidence!
:evil:

What is RW? I am confused? :scratch: :shrug:

Those quotes from the book were hysterical -- I have "Feel" but haven't read it yet. Robbie...bless his heart I don't know whether to smack him or hug him. But at least he likes U2!

longingforBono said:

Me too. I still wouldn't mind being put in the middle of Gale and Bono. Shazam diggity double damn.:drool:

You know that! Brian and Bono... :drool:

Dutch Partygirl said:

Right, I'm going to get that movie NOW! :lol:

If you like Ewan, check out his "Long Way Round" documentary (he and a friend rode motorcycles around the world for like three months in 2004)...Ewan plays the guitar and sings a beautiful version of "Running to Stand Still" on one of the episodes...

Back
Top Bottom